What are you doing today? [Part II]

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Nice bench! One of my spring time projects is going to be to build an outdoor workbench out of 4 x 4's and 2 x 6's. It'll be made of pressure treated wood and bolted to the patio with concrete anchors. All that's out there now is a plastic outdoor patio table. Not real reassuring when you have something heavy that needs to go on the table.

Reactions: Matt

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Moose, nice ride!! One thing I miss around these parts are nice groomed trails. When I lived up in the tree line there was miles of trails in and out of the forest and along the North Sask River. But one thing that is nice, not a lot of riders to deal with.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got another ride in today. We were a group with my son, his GF and a friend of hers who was a newbie. At first she was riding an old 89 Mach 1 which was just too squirrely for her so swapped to a 99 Grand Touring which was much better. Was slow going at first but then sped up a bit as she gained confidence. The Mach is a pig on gas and didn't bring an extra can so headed home after about 3 hours. Me and my son's Yamahas with fuel injection were down just 2 out of 8 bars. We can honestly run all day. The GT was about 1/2 tank.

No video this time as I couldn't remount my camera and I think it has a battery problem.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's been a day. Over the weekend, I got the rain barrel fill station finished, since it was supposed to rain Tuesday. All day was light rain, when I got home from work, poked my head out the patio to look and could see a light but steady stream of water coming from the lid :duh:

This morning when it was dry went out for a closer look, it was still leaking, but the barrel was near full. So it doesn't take much to fill it. Got home from work today and checked it again, still leaking, but still heavy to lift. Experimented with an empty barrel and determined I put the rubber gasket in the wrong place. Should be between the barrel and the cap, not between the cap and the sealing ring like I had it. So I'll have to drain it, and make the adjustment.

Got changed out of work clothes, and the toilet flushes slow, also backed up slightly into the tub drain. :eek: oh boy. Plunger didn't help, had a snake which also did nothing. Don't have anything long enough to come down through the roof. Can run everything else on that side of the house and no backups, just the toilet. Will deal with that later.

Sit down on the couch to relax, grab my laptop and it's off. I leave it on 24/7. Go to boot it up and get this screen.

20220126_183427.jpg

The cooling fan I replaced last March, is already dead. WTF! :hissyfit: of course the warranty period was only a month cuz I paid $10 for it. Debating if I want to get another one, or just buy a new laptop. Decisions, decisions. :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decided to order another cooling fan for the laptop, that will arrive Saturday. At least I know approximately how much time that will give me. Had a few laptops on my wish list from November, cuz my current one is over 10 years old, so I'll review those more closely over the next month or so and likely pull the trigger. Working from home today, so turned my attention to the toilet issue. Poured a bottle of Draino down the tub, let that marinate for 20 minutes, but no joy. New idea... Grabbed a few buckets, and went out to the rain barrel, pulled 10 gallons out, and poured them into the tub while the shower ran. Figured the plunger wasn't working, as the pressure was releasing towards the tub drain. Adding a bunch of water weight on top of the clog (as well as in the tub drain pipes) would put more of the force from the plunger where I wanted it. After maybe 15 seconds of pumping, the tub started gurgling, and the toilet flushed as normal. Crisis averted! 😌

Back out to the rain barrel to drain the rest of the water, so I could move the rubber gasket. Pulled 10 more gallons out, so with that leak it was holding at just about half full. Used a 4x4 to tilt and prop up the barrel so I didn't have to drain everything out of it, and got the lid put on correctly. Had to log on for work, but at lunch time I'll pop the fill tube, get my large funnel and put those 10 gallons back in for future use. Pretty productive day and it's not even 10 am yet.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Had the day off today and it was really nice out. Barely below freezing, some sun and no wind. So I did an oil change on the Grand Mormon van, drank some coffee, plowed some snow, drank some coffee, did some chores, fixed fence and brought a big assed roast out to thaw.

Tomorrow I'm back on days but have some coverage to bail early as my wife is taking a riding lesson. While she is a competent rider with years of show ring experience, she has been plagued by injuries so to ride a show ready horse in sand footing in a heated arena is a great way to get back into it. Plus to have another competent rider to work with her is a great thing.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Trying to get through the day because I'm driving/dropping off my in-laws car in Florida for them next week. Leave Monday, home Thursday night.
I'm sure you've seen the weather report, but I-95 the entire way down is probably a bad choice over the next few days, if you can avoid it. If you can't -- drive carefully. And take your winter coat, b/c it's going to be 29F in Orlando, and 37F or so in Miami (!) over the weekend.

As for me...
Last few days, I'd been scratching my head at why my 'Brake' and 'VSA' lights were on, on my Accord. Thought it had something to do with a TPMS system I was testing on that car (external sensors, on valvestems). System worked, but I thought it triggered a VSA fault, so I removed it.
Today I went to start the car, and the brake pedal went to the floor.
Well, I know why the lamps were lit, at least!

Now I'm busy trying to finish my toolbox setup, so I can make room to pull the Accord in the garage and find out which brake line / component rusted through. Oh, and pick up some line and a flare tool, so I can make up a brake line or two. Thought I bought a flare tool kit a while back, but haven't found it, yet.

Worst part of this is that I had *just* called the insurance co. yesterday, to move the Sierra to 'storage' status as of 12:01am today, since I won't be driving it during the winter. Which leaves me with the Envoy as the one fully functioning vehicle, for now (the Sierra has to stay in 'storage' for 30 days' minimum, now that I suspended coverage on it).
Maybe I'll change my avatar to a picture of Charlie Brown for a bit... LOL

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm sure you've seen the weather report, but I-95 the entire way down is probably a bad choice over the next few days, if you can avoid it. If you can't -- drive carefully. And take your winter coat, b/c it's going to be 29F in Orlando, and 37F or so in Miami (!) over the weekend.

As I mentioned, I leave Monday so I should be fine, plus, I'm taking 77S and don't hit 95 until Savannah. I'll be on the gulf side where it's 70's to 80's next week.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Installed a reverse osmosis water filter for drinking water. Elected to install it in the basement utility room which is directly under the kitchen. After a trip to Home Hardware and then two trip to Home Depot for various fittings and extra hose because the one they supplied was just long enough for an under sink installation.

Not a bad system. Filters are good for 12-24 months. It was getting expensive with the bottled water and lugging those 18 liter jugs was getting old. I know the rest of the family will complain that the flow sucks and it doesn't come out cold. Too bad, suck it up!

PXL_20220201_033423908.jpg

PXL_20220201_033853286.jpg

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Installed a reverse osmosis water filter for drinking water. Elected to install it in the basement utility room which is directly under the kitchen. After a trip to Home Hardware and then two trip to Home Depot for various fittings and extra hose because the one they supplied was just long enough for an under sink installation.

Not a bad system. Filters are good for 12-24 months. It was getting expensive with the bottled water and lugging those 18 liter jugs was getting old. I know the rest of the family will complain that the flow sucks and it doesn't come out cold. Too bad, suck it up!

View attachment 102875

View attachment 102876
We have such a unit here, the well water is beyond unpalatable. If our hot tapwater comes in contact with any tomato based sauce you have to vacate the immediate area!! It produces a gas that quite literally gags a person. I installed the unit under the kitchen sink and I have a diverter drain pipe installed that in the summer months sends the effluent, of which there are significant quantities out a side wall to a 100 gallon trough for plant and animal use around the yard outside. I recommend having at the least a spare check valve for the unit as they are exceedingly small and difficult to clean if it gets small particles in it and will no longer stop backflow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We have such a unit here,

So far it's been working good except the first of the five filters is leaking. It's as tight as I can get it, even with the provided wrench. They gave extra o-rings so I'll have to take it apart and replace it. Our water here is very hard with lots of iron that turns everything it touches orange. We have a water softener with an iron filter on top of the osmosis for the drinking water. And there's also a pre-filter to remove the sand and silt before the softener. Talk about a small water treatment plant in my basement!

Yesterday had a great ride with a buddy. Beautiful day, hardly any other sleds, trails in good condition. We stopped at a pub that is just off the trail (pic) but it was closed. Headed to another restaurant back at our side of the river for some wings.

IMG_20220202_093906.jpg

Today is a run around day. Need to pick up some wheels for the sled, a spare quart of oil for the Sierra, some DEF fluid on sale at Princess Auto, deck fence louver kit on clearance at HD and then come and wait for a delivery of meat for the freezer. It's the second part of an order we made last year before the prices went through the roof so great savings there.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Got some more snow yesterday. Maybe 5 inches of powder. So it is time again to shovel. Forecast high for the day is 17°F or around -8°C.

Yesterday made what appears to be good progress on my Arduino project. Have been struggling to attain a decently low level (or none) of data errors when the Arduino is sending messages to Torque Pro. I had been seeing a data error about every minute or so but made some adjustments and changes and had a 40 minute run with no errors!

Maybe time to acquire some 10K NTC Thermistors and thunk about what I want to do with this project.

Screenshot_20220127-160142.png

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 5 ~ 15 cm snowfall we were expecting here overnight turned into 1 ~ 2 cm. Pretty disappointing as the trails needed a lot more fresh powder to groom them. Yesterday I had scraped the driveway down to the asphalt while we were above freezing. Won't even need the snowblower for the majority of it.

Then I'll have to go to Service Ontario to renew all my vehicles, some for two years, as the renewal amnesty due to the pandemic is ending this month. Will cost me a few hundred $ since my birthday is also this month so I have to pay for years past and the next year. That's what happens when you procrastinate :frown:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just about to head out and clear some more drifts. Monday we got what they call an Alberta clipper, 90km/h gusts from the north, snow all followed by more cold. We were floating nicely under -10c for days when this shit blew in. The whole province was shut down. Most highways shut down, every thing else had a no travel advisory. Cars, trucks and tractors even were stuck on roadways. People stuck in cars and just a mess.

Our yard wasn't to bad but the drifts turned to concrete do they are a bitch to break up and clear. I was working and thankfully didn't have to roll out as I would have never made it a mile from my house.

Now we have that incessant cold. -28 to 32 in most places but windy with -40 windchill. Was just nasty clearing snow. But anyways its allegedly warming up tomorrow and supposed to get a pile of snow this weekend, which is awesome as I got days off and plan on some sledding!!!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I made it! There were a few Ohio flight cancellations but mine to Akron wasn't one of them. From my understanding, we were one of the only flights to come in.

My wife, being who she is, despite growing up in this area, was "scared" to come and get me. She tried to order taxi's and Ubers but no one was out driving in that. So I told her that she needs to strap it on and come and get me because I'm not sleeping in the farking airport. She arrived 1 hour later...it usually takes 20-25 minutes to get to the airport. I drove home...got up to 44mph where we usually do 70.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
TL; DR: This is not (directly) GMT-related (but someone may find it helpful, so... get off my @ss :deadhorse:... LOL)

Tackled the brake issue in the Accord, after receiving a nice flaring tool, a tubing cutter, and a reamer from Amazon. Had a credit plus some Amex points, so it ran < $20 USD. After it arrived, I found the 'conventional' type flaring kit I'd bought from HF on a closeout and stashed away. Oh, well... free returns with Prime (btw, I heard on the news that Prime is going up another $20, soon... to $139 USD)

Jacked up all four ends and put the whole car on stands. Couldn't find a leak anywhere.
Hard lines looked ok (Honda coats the lines, and additionally covers the exposed / bent ends). Flex hoses looked OK. Dry, no swelling / ruptures. And yet, the fluid reservoir was dry as a bone.

Filled up the reservoir, which took about half of a quart. A lot of fluid, considering.
No leak in the reservoir or line connections. Lines to the VSA module looked OK, as did the module.

Pumped the brakes expecting to see some fluid escaping somewhere, and... nope. Still dry.
Brake booster looked OK. Bled the front calipers. Still dry. Moved to the back... if the front is OK, it must be in the back, right?

Moved one of the rear tires out of the way, and saw the back side of it. Why was it still 'wet' in spots? It had been in the garage for days, now.
Then it hit me...

When I did the brakes last year, I replaced both rear calipers, as the parking brake was inop, and one caliper had frozen (a common problem on Hondas). I actually use my parking brake, and my Accord has the M/T, to boot.
(fyi, with Hondas and many Asian vehicles, the parking brake is cable-operated, but the cable moves a lever that turns a circular disc that, in turn, then pushes the caliper piston against the disc. Sounds complicated, but I'm really just pointing out that it works a bit differently than the 'drum-in-hat' parking brake we're used to on the GM trucks. Anyway... )

When I compared the old / new (reman) calipers, I had noted that the supplied new washers that go on either side of the banjo bolt were smaller in O.D. and made of copper, while the existing OEM were aluminum. So I decided to reuse the OEMs, as they looked to be in good shape.

That was my undoing.

Even though I torqued the banjo bolts to 36 ft-lb, and didn't see any leakage when I bled the new rear calipers... they eventually leaked out. Took the better part of a year (I don't drive the car everyday), and I didn't notice any gradual degradation in braking (having an M/T contributes to this, as I use the brakes way less, vs. with an A/T)

The front calipers weren't changed out, so that explained why I didn't have any leakage there.
But both rear tires had some wetness (brake fluid) on the inside sidewall. One was way worse than the other, but both had the telltale spots.

Looked up Honda's part for the washers... and they're selling for about $6-7 USD, each. For one 10mm flat washer! (2 are needed for each caliper)
Hmm... $28 and a two-day wait (or even more expensive from the local dealers)... or sub-$10 for four of the correct sized ones in copper, 15 min away at AAP. I picked the coppers. Will put them on tomorrow, bleed, and check the banjo connection thoroughly, this time. And I have to run a diagnostic cycle on the VSA module afterward, but I don't expect it'll cause me any trouble. I have a decent scanner for the Accord (not a factory tablet, but still pretty good).

If they leak again, I'll bite the bullet for the spendy Honda washers, since now I know what happened, it's not an extreme pain to redo them, and I'll now keep a closer eye on the fluid reservoir for a bit, to make sure the hydraulic system is intact. The only thing that bothers me is that the loss of pressure was really binary -- pedal felt fine... until it didn't. Another reason to keep a closer eye on things until I'm sure everything's good.

Was reviewing an 'Eric the Car Guy' video today, and he mentioned himself that while it's technically a no-no to reuse the washers, he thinks re-using the OEM is preferential to using aftermarket coppers. Was nice to see we thought alike, given how by the book he is with Hondas (I've watched him go on rants about things like not reinstalling the brake rotor hold down screws (that most times, have to be drilled out, anyway). I like Eric, but sometimes he can be even more anal-retentive than me. :laugh:

And with that, the mystery of the squishy brake pedal is resolved.

Last edited:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
TL; DR: This is not (directly) GMT-related (but someone may find it helpful, so... get off my @ss :deadhorse:... LOL)

Tackled the brake issue in the Accord, after receiving a nice flaring tool, a tubing cutter, and a reamer from Amazon. Had a credit plus some Amex points, so it ran < $20 USD. After it arrived, I found the 'conventional' type flaring kit I'd bought from HF on a closeout and stashed away. Oh, well... free returns with Prime (btw, I heard on the news that Prime is going up another $20, soon... to $139 USD)

Jacked up all four ends and put the whole car on stands. Couldn't find a leak anywhere.
Hard lines looked ok (Honda coats the lines, and additionally covers the exposed / bent ends). Flex hoses looked OK. Dry, no swelling / ruptures. And yet, the fluid reservoir was dry as a bone.

Filled up the reservoir, which took about half of a quart. A lot of fluid, considering.
No leak in the reservoir or line connections. Lines to the VSA module looked OK, as did the module.

Pumped the brakes expecting to see some fluid escaping somewhere, and... nope. Still dry.
Brake booster looked OK. Bled the front calipers. Still dry. Moved to the back... if the front is OK, it must be in the back, right?

Moved one of the rear tires out of the way, and saw the back side of it. Why was it still 'wet' in spots? It had been in the garage for days, now.
Then it hit me...

When I did the brakes last year, I replaced both rear calipers, as the parking brake was inop, and one caliper had frozen (a common problem on Hondas). I actually use my parking brake, and my Accord has the M/T, to boot.
(fyi, with Hondas and many Asian vehicles, the parking brake is cable-operated, but the cable moves a lever that turns a circular disc that, in turn, then pushes the caliper piston against the disc. Sounds complicated, but I'm really just pointing out that it works a bit differently than the 'drum-in-hat' parking brake we're used to on the GM trucks. Anyway... )

When I compared the old / new (reman) calipers, I had noted that the supplied new washers that go on either side of the banjo bolt were smaller in O.D. and made of copper, while the existing OEM were aluminum. So I decided to reuse the OEMs, as they looked to be in good shape.

That was my undoing.

Even though I torqued the banjo bolts to 36 ft-lb, and didn't see any leakage when I bled the new rear calipers... they eventually leaked out. Took the better part of a year (I don't drive the car everyday), and I didn't notice any gradual degradation in braking (having an M/T contributes to this, as I use the brakes way less, vs. with an A/T)

The front calipers weren't changed out, so that explained why I didn't have any leakage there.
But both rear tires had some wetness (brake fluid) on the inside sidewall. One was way worse than the other, but both had the telltale spots.

Looked up Honda's part for the washers... and they're selling for about $6-7 USD, each. For one 10mm flat washer! (2 are needed for each caliper)
Hmm... $28 and a two-day wait (or even more expensive from the local dealers)... or sub-$10 for four of the correct sized ones in copper, 15 min away at AAP. I picked the coppers. Will put them on tomorrow, bleed, and check the banjo connection thoroughly, this time. And I have to run a diagnostic cycle on the VSA module afterward, but I don't expect it'll cause me any trouble. I have a decent scanner for the Accord (not a factory tablet, but still pretty good).

If they leak again, I'll bite the bullet for the spendy Honda washers, since now I know what happened, it's not an extreme pain to redo them, and I'll now keep a closer eye on the fluid reservoir for a bit, to make sure the hydraulic system is intact. The only thing that bothers me is that the loss of pressure was really binary -- pedal felt fine... until it didn't. Another reason to keep a closer eye on things until I'm sure everything's good.

Was reviewing an 'Eric the Car Guy' video today, and he mentioned himself that while it's technically a no-no to reuse the washers, he thinks re-using the OEM is preferential to using aftermarket coppers. Was nice to see we thought alike, given how by the book he is with Hondas (I've watched him go on rants about things like not reinstalling the brake rotor hold down screws (that most times, have to be drilled out, anyway). I like Eric, but sometimes he can be even more anal-retentive than me. :laugh:

And with that, the mystery of the squishy brake pedal is resolved.
Excellent write up!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Taking the kids out for a bit of sledding. Seems like the thing to do since it is sunny and actually near freezing today.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Just hanging out at home. It's 43 F outside, but the 25 mph wind makes it feel like 33! Don't have any place I really have to go, or anything that really needs to get done, so just kicking back today. Life is good, or at least tolerable!
Hardtrailz, I like that winch bumper on your TB!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Been spending an absurd amount of time noodling at the Arduino project. Not long ago I thought I had it worked out but then found it was not so. The trouble is implementing J1850 VPW message arbitration for messages sent by the Arduino for use with Torque Pro or others. I kept getting data errors. I don't think it's a good idea to be stepping all over other modules more critical messages.

Not having an oscilloscope I was guessing. It occurred to me that I could use a second Arduino to get the voltages being sent on the serial data bus as well as the pulse timings. This was key!! I discovered my optocoupler based circuit was not outputting a high enough voltage to be stable when sending. I don't know enough elecronics to know how to correct that so I went back to an earlier circuit I got from the ELM 327 data sheet.

I also discovered that the code I was using in the main program for observing pulse timings etc was adversely affecting my pulse timings etc.

With some adjustments made based on what I saw with the second Arduino as a high-speed voltmeter and pulse timing measuring tool I have what looks to be a stable operation now, at least bench testing. Today will try out on the TrailBlazer again. Fingers crossed!!

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
While the family was out at either school or dental appointments, I did some chores and then took the Ghost out for a little tour. The drifts were quite big, many 6' along the windbreaks. Well the hefty Ghost and my fat ass came out on top. So when the kids are home we will go back for round two.

I got a call from a snowmobile wrecking yard in Crimetown, they may have some bogie springs for my Evinrude. They are from a Skee Horse but the sounds of it, the later, early '70s model. If thats the case, they should work. Other than some cosmetics and controls, they are physically the same sled. I think the Skee Horse was the last model to have points ignition as well.

I noticed my tach is off as well. Showing a couple thousand RPM higher than it is. Not sure how that system works but perhaps I will take some time to learn. But one positive thing is that I have yet to burn out any lights. I found the key was to have a decent battery. I previously used older, worn out batteries and could only get a couple hours at best out of the lights, not realizing that a good battery soaks up excess voltage much better.
20220208_132740.jpg20220208_132934.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you are a "SCI-FI Buff" like Yours Truly and you've tried to find the "Really GOOD Sci-Fi" Oldies from the 1950's over on YouTube... you will suffer the immediate disappointment and discouragement of finding Adverts offering these Movies For Sale.

Dammit!

However, late last night JFTHOI... I went to THIS Link at "The Internet Archive" which is very much like "On-Line Library of Congress"..only Better because you don't need to learn The Dewey Decimal System or hail a cab to benefit from browsing there:

They have EVERYTHING Here... Uncensored and Unexpurgated ...From the Beautiful 'Virginia Bell' to the Cracked 'Liberty Bell' and the Orange Bell X1 that had its maiden Rocket Flight and broke the Sound Barrier, ostensibly for the very first time.

If you can think of ANY kind of Media (Books, Magazines, White Papers, Audio, Music, Films, TV Shows and MORE) and you are diligent in winnowing down your search criteria... Believe You, Me...

it's ALL here.

So, to satisfy my late night boredom and SCI-FI Yen and curiosity, I searched for the Movie "THEM!" and then later for "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" and also "It Came from Beneath The Sea"... and managed to find and Download and WATCH ALL THREE.

Check THIS Out!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Thomas... This GIT-HUB Link and Library may prove useful with that problem.

What seems now like ages ago I began there at Github and found no joy with that library. Sounds like maybe the Chrysler implentation of J1850 that the library was tested on is different maybe? Or maybe I didn't (and still don't) understand the library thing. Seems overly complicated for my project. Also tried his circuit but again no joy. If I remember right it took the bus high by default where we need low??

So what I have done is grabbed a function or two from there and some functions from elsewhere and cobbled them together in a hideous assemblage of code that would no doubt make an actual programmer shudder.

Amazingly enough, through sheer stubborness (a family trait) it appears to be working now!! In about 90 minutes of test driving today the TrailBlazer didn't toss a single data error. In my Yukon I did get two data errors over a 45 minute run. One error seemed to be a case of message collision. It causes no true issue with the vehicle as the sending module just resends the message within milliseconds. The evidence is not as clear for the second data error I recorded but looks close enough to the first to be considered the same thing.

So next up I guess will be seeing what alternate models of Arduino I can use for making an actual project. I used the official Arduino Uno and it's cousin, the SparkFun Redboard version of the Uno for the designing phase. Smaller size factor might be better for my end product.

And now that I have something working,,, what do I want to measure!!?? :smile:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Took my youngest sledding after school. We had an absolute blast on the drifts and she was grinning ear to ear. We rolled up to the house and my wife snapped a picture out the living room window.

Attachments

• 273429711_10159931505000288_789256725800288310_n.jpg
    273429711_10159931505000288_789256725800288310_n.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 10

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Past two days, I have ridden over 460km on the sled. Monday I did about 250km doing a large loop on the trails. Was a very nice day, around -2c so not cold at all. Did find that my sled is being a pig on gas since I modified my clutch. After just 160km, I had to refuel as I was on my second to last bar.

Yesterday, rode about 200km with a buddy. Another beautiful day of riding. Stopped by the Wild Wing in Smiths Falls for, well, wings!

Put together this short video of both days' rides just to give a taste of what it's like. Nothing like the guys running on BC mountains but this is perfect for this OG to get out. Also a pic of me on my sled enjoying a coffee break.

IMG_20220209_100616.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Put together this short video of both days' rides just to give a taste of what it's like. Nothing like the guys running on BC mountains but this is perfect for this OG to get out.
Now that I've viewed that, I can see the appeal. Any website recommendations for 'Snowmobiling for Dummies' ? :dunce::laugh:
Not that I'm going to go out and buy a sled, but... I have questions, damnit! 🛷

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now that I've viewed that, I can see the appeal. Any website recommendations for 'Snowmobiling for Dummies' ? :dunce::laugh:
Not that I'm going to go out and buy a sled, but... I have questions, damnit! 🛷
Well, it's not the kind of thing that one can just talk about, it's a feeling :biggrin:

This video talks about ways to get into it, possibly through a local club or just finding a friend to teach you and lend you a sled and gear.

And this channel is more for old guys like us. Tons of good videos. This is his most recent one but check out his channel for more stuff.

And this short one which talks about riding positions.

What I can say about sledding is that it gets me out of the house in winter. And especially now that I am retired, this is great to keep me active and out of my wife's hair, especially since she's working from home. And I also piss people off when I say that I WANT the snow! Which reminds me, we need MORE snow! :laugh:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well Boys!! I was in Crimetown and stopped in the local wrecker. They were awesome to deal with and picked up 6 springs at 10 bucks apiece!! The closest I could find was 20 American plus shipping from the US. Cannot complain!!

Attachments

• 20220210_134206.jpg
    20220210_134206.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 5

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online