NEED HELP Unknown Driver and No Start

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I do believe after a certain number of attempts to start with a Passlock fault it will go into a permanent lock that will require a Tech 2 and possibly also Tis2000 to get security access to unlock it again.

A related question @Mooseman

Will codes in a BCM clear if disconnected from all power for a time?

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I do believe after a certain number of attempts to start with a Passlock fault it will go into a permanent lock that will require a Tech 2 and possibly also Tis2000 to get security access to unlock it again.
but is there a way to enable and link the bcm, pcm and cluster again?
thanks for watching my friend

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020

good question friend. Another piece of information is that the rear glasses work, when I jumper with sp206 cable so with sp205 the passenger glass works. but when I make the sp206 brown cable jumper with sp205, the glass and insurance do not work.
Another piece of information, when I change the position of the box to R, N or D and return to P, the locks are activated several times in a row

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
is it possible to reactivate the bcm? when I try with the other pcm and turn the key to RUN, the anti-theft device blinks 3 times and then remains fixed without turning off.
but when I try with the pcm that I brought along with this bcm and cluster, when I turn to RUN the anti-theft is fixed

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
are you attempting the relearn procedure correctly. You need to attempt start , then leave at run for 10 minutes, light goes off, turn ignition off, and repeat three more times.... not just turning to RUN for 10 minutes.

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
are you attempting the relearn procedure correctly. You need to attempt start , then leave at run for 10 minutes, light goes off, turn ignition off, and repeat three more times.... not just turning to RUN for 10 minutes.
yes budwich friend but turn the key to RUN and wait 10 minutes, up to more than 10 minutes and the anti-theft light does not turn off. remains fixed without turning off

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
It is possible that the BCM is not seeing the right "key sequence" because of the status of the powering lines as I suggest, double check and post those.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have been wondering about just that. Haven't been able to locate any documentation or discussion about that possibility.

IIRC, somebody came on here that happened to him or possibly Passlock was at fault. It's a finicky system that can leave you stranded so I always disable via a tune. The light would still flash but the PCM would ignore that and would allow the start.

Reactions: TJBaker57

Expeditor

Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
This page is the only place I have found to talk about the various Passlock Fault Codes and their behaviours and causes...

Check post #489 and this video. Excellent explanation on the procedures to re-learn and also says pcm/ecm has no control over the vehicle security. Only the BCM and IPC control the security. Very interesting. Also two different methods/procedure to relearn. Here is the link to the video.

Reactions: Mooseman
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
Was the pcm programmed for that specific vin number?
No body mentioned the starter either. Maybe I missed it in the earlier posts. Just spit balling right now.
The pic that the engine light with the downward arrow is the reduced engine power symbol.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Check post #489 and this video. Excellent explanation on the procedures to re-learn and also says pcm/ecm has no control over the vehicle security. Only the BCM and IPC control the security. Very interesting. Also two different methods/procedure to relearn. Here is the link to the video.

While the PCM may not control the security it absolutely participates. It is a message from the PCM that ends the 10 minute timer. I have recorded the class 2 data stream of a few relearns in their entirety and have been studying the data. Here in the screenshots is seen the moment when the PCM sends a priority 1, type 8 SAE J1850 message to the primary ID of 'Vehicle Security'. That message is acknowledged by the BCM which waits 15 seconds then sends a load command extended to the IPC to set the security light firstly to solid and then to OFF. (during a PCM relearn the BCM doesn't wait the 15 seconds, it shuts off the security light immediately)

Screenshot_20201009-205343.png
Screenshot_20201009-210229.png

Reactions: Mramses

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
IIRC, somebody came on here that happened to him or possibly Passlock was at fault. It's a finicky system that can leave you stranded so I always disable via a tune. The light would still flash but the PCM would ignore that and would allow the start.
and how do I do it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

I don't know really. Maybe all of them, maybe none. Never checked to see how they do clear except via a scanner.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
What is your Battery Voltage right off of the Two Terminals right before starting this Diagnosis.and do you have Battery Booster to use in this situation?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
and how do I do it?

You would need somebody with HP Tuners to change the programming if the PCM. Or mail it in to a mail order tune place like PCMofNC or limeswap.com. Either way it will cost at least $100 usd to do it. This will make the PCM completely ignore the security system of the BCM but will still require the 30 minute security relearn.

HOWEVER, this truck, from what we're seeing, is having other issues, either no power to the PCM, BCM and/or IPC or no communication on the network. A tune may not fix your problem. Even if the engine starts, you may wind up with everything else in the truck not working.

There seems to be progress as the IPC is starting to come to life and showing some lights and gauge readings as well as the PRND321 indicator lighting. Before paying for a tune, you should make sure that everything else is working.

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
friends please do not stop helping me ... I know it can turn on but I still need all your experience friends please

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
You would need somebody with HP Tuners to change the programming if the PCM. Or mail it in to a mail order tune place like PCMofNC or limeswap.com. Either way it will cost at least $100 usd to do it. This will make the PCM completely ignore the security system of the BCM but will still require the 30 minute security relearn.

HOWEVER, this truck, from what we're seeing, is having other issues, either no power to the PCM, BCM and/or IPC or no communication on the network. A tune may not fix your problem. Even if the engine starts, you may wind up with everything else in the truck not working.

There seems to be progress as the IPC is starting to come to life and showing some lights and gauge readings as well as the PRND321 indicator lighting. Before paying for a tune, you should make sure that everything else is working.
Friend what tests should I do to conform the operation of the rest of the components. the ebcm module is shorted to ground when i connect the 2 harnesses.
the module of the windows lifter and driver's locks does not work. the rest of the windows works.
courtesy lights and selectors function.
hvac and aux hvac don't work, won't turn on.
the low and high beams work just like the fog lights.
you cannot hear the bell that sounds when you turn the key with the doors open.
What tests should I do please? For now I only have the sp205, the bcm, pcm and cluster connected. each one generates pulses when I connect independently in the sp205 and also when they are all together.
I tested the elm327 with a cavalier 98 synchro peeo does not connect. I think it is not suitable for vehicles with a trailblazer bus

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I don't know really. Maybe all of them, maybe none. Never checked to see how they do clear except via a scanner.
Friend, what are the minimum values or voltage range that the passlock sensor generates when turning the key to START?
my truck's voltage reading is 2.11V
why doesn't the bell inside the van ring? what is the circuit?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
why doesn't the bell inside the van ring? what is the

It's controlled by the BCM and plays out of the radio via the network. This also suggests a problem with the network and/or power to the BCM .

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or the BCM itself is dead.

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Or the BCM itself is dead.
before if friend friend moose was dead.
the above bcm:
I didn't turn on the courtesy lights
I did not turn on the high lights
showed UNKNOWN DRIVER in cluster
it did not show the battery charge
The rear or passenger door windows did not work
The fog lights did not work.
when I connected only the BCM (disconnected the PCM) to the sp205 it did not generate any voltage, it remained at 0, in RUN or START
the anti-theft warning light turned on and off immediately but this is done by also having the BCM disconnected from its harness.
This BCM that I have now installed if you activate all the aforementioned, in fact now the anti-theft indicator behaves differently with another PCM but they arrive at the same, the anti-theft light remains fixed and it turns off.
this BCM if when connected alone, it generates fluctuating voltage in the data wire

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
what are the minimum values or voltage range that the passlock sensor generates when turning the key to START?
my truck's voltage reading is 2.11V

The 2.11V reading is acceptable. But I suggest that all readings of the yellow wire should be done at the BCM and not at the ignition switch. Use a needle to probe the BCM connector if you have to.

Reactions: Mramses

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Mramses , Are you still there? Any news? We've been left hanging for a month. :confused:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Would still be interesting to find out what happened. This is THE longest no start thread ever!

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
greetings to all friends. Thank you very much for all the help. We could already start the truck for now I have a problem with a short in the data cable of the ebcm. the truck turns on when both connectors on the ebcm are disconnected. but when delivering it, it turned on with the ebcm connected, after manipulating the connector that is next to the fuse box, the continuity of the ebcm data cable was presented. I upload this image with the information of the measurements.
it was necessary to change the ignition key module, bcm and pcm, all from the same truck and so we managed to turn it on

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_211443.jpg
    IMG_20201226_211443.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 6

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
greetings to all friends. Thank you very much for all the help. We could already start the truck for now I have a problem with a short in the data cable of the ebcm. the truck turns on when both connectors on the ebcm are disconnected. but when delivering it, it turned on with the ebcm connected, after manipulating the connector that is next to the fuse box, the continuity of the ebcm data cable was presented. I upload this image with the information of the measurements.
it was necessary to change the ignition key module, bcm and pcm, all from the same truck and so we managed to turn it on
I am going to have a look at my truck because I cannot remember which side of that connector has the male pins.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
the truck turns on when both connectors on the ebcm are disconnected
If the truck starts and runs OK when the ECBM is disconnected that at the very least suggests the short is in the EBCM module.

This agrees with your tests of much earlier that found the EBCM shorted.

If this is the case then the wiring may be OK,, excepting there may be something loose at that large connector you pictured.

When you recieved your truck back from the shop were there any dashboard warning lights or check engine lights a tivated?

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
the female pins give direction to the ebcm and the male pins give direction to the cabin. I checked at night anyway, I could be wrong thank you mister baker

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
only the "check engine" light was flashing. for the rest, do not observe anything irregular. but my doubt is because they turned it on with the connector connected, with both connected. then remove the battery I began to organize a bit the connectors and wiring. then when mounting and connecting the battery, I appeared again the "unknown driver". I checked the fuses, I didn't sleep at all and the next day on the sp205 I measure continuity to ground and it gives me the whole package to ground. I disconnect the ebcm and again I have "driver 1" and turn on the truck

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
only the "check engine" light was flashing. for the rest, do not observe anything irregular. but my doubt is because they turned it on with the connector connected, with both connected. then remove the battery I began to organize a bit the connectors and wiring. then when mounting and connecting the battery, I appeared again the "unknown driver". I checked the fuses, I didn't sleep at all and the next day on the sp205 I measure continuity to ground and it gives me the whole package to ground. I disconnect the ebcm and again I have "driver 1" and turn on the truck

All these tests indicate that there is a defect in the EBCM module

Reactions: ek02

May 5, 2022
Georgia
Just wanna wake this up and chime in for a second : I had the *Exact Same* characteristics occur today after pulling the airbag/half dash out of the "Daisy Chained" Electricals of the 2008 Trailblazer 4.2 LT.

- H.E.C. gave no battery light, took a moment to illuminate the readout after introduced key at first position, then,

"UNKNOWN DRIVER" displayed, had:
NO GAUGES & *FRONT DOOR MODULE CONTROLS*
- Rear Door Windows Worked.

I got a little worried/concerned for a few about the potential of a stressed coupler at the ECU, or a BCM fault, read down a few threads in the community, and then decided: "Imma reintroduce what I pulled yesterday to see if those removals broke the communications chain".
After recoupling the P/S airbag / general airbag yellows,
(and the blower motor/defrost blendoor actuator but narrowing it back down to the bags)

*BADA BING*,
Glenn Miller's Your Uncle. Condition Ameliorated.

So. Might wanna check the airbag coupler lines/airbag terminals if you find this pickle.

I think it's a failsafe lock mode that's cued if the airbags are unhooked.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online