NEED HELP Unknown Driver and No Start

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Hello friend, thank you very much for your answer. I ask you to apologize for not having started in the correct way in your group where I have been inquiring about my problem.
I will continue to seek information for my case since I have been inoperative for more than 6 months because of this failure. The truck is a 2002 4.2L 4x4 automatic trailblazer, after doing the engine and resetting I was left with this fault:
when passing switch turn on the dashboard lights, "unknown driver" appears and when I start the engine does not turn and it does not start, the headlights work, but the windows or door locks do not work, the hvac does not work nor the radio. I have already changed the engine computer but it remains the same, it only activates the fuel pump for 2 seconds, the throttle body is activated and it does nothing.
Please friends of the gm nation forum, I ask for all your experience and knowledge to help me with my case. since it has not yet been resolved.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You might have two separate issues here.

Trying to understand what you're saying, you replaced the engine?

Is the security light on or flashing in the dash cluster?

The Unknown Driver message should not affect the ability to start the engine. This is only a convenience thing according to the remote used. Remote 1 would display Driver 1 and remote 2 would display Driver 2. This is for radio and seat memory settings.

Edit: I'm thinking that you might have an issue with the BCM (Body Control Module) if you have multiple systems that are not working. Check all fuses, both under the hood and under the rear seat.

Reactions: ek02

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
post a picture of the dash instrument panel with the key in the ON position then the forum can see what's up with the instrument health. Answer the question about what you mean you "replaced the engine" ... with what engine? and WHO replaced the engine, you or some mechanic?

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Greetings friend, thank you very much for opening a thread of my case.
The engine was not changed, only the bearing was changed.
I do not present a security witness in the cluster.
I already checked the fuses under the hood and in the rear seat. everything ok.
turning the switch to on turns on the fuel pump and activates the throttle body but not start and not run
the bearings were replaced by a mechanic, I did not do it
the cluster gauges do not work, no fuel gauge, no voltage gauge, no temperature, no rpm, no oli pressure
please help me

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I have verified continuity from the different sensors of the motor to the connectors of the ecu. I have verified continuity from the key sensor to the bcm
I've checked all the fuses under the hood and behind the back seat
I have checked my ignition switch checking the activation of the 12v in run and start and they are activating when appropriate
I have read about the splice pack 306 and disconnecting the data bus cables and testing each one separately

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I have changed the ecu for another and I do not change I continue with the same failures. I turn the key to on and the dash lights come on and the cluster shows "unknown driver" I finish turning the key and it does not activate the starter motor. I have a good battery and I have tried another one but it remains the same.
check the grounds: the one that goes to the engine body near the alternator, the one that goes under the intake manifold and that which connects to the chassis near the fuse box under the hood.
the obd2 diagnostic connector carries voltage but does not connect, I have not tried with the tech2 scanner

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
spray some starter fluid in the intake area while trying to start and see what the resulting engine does. Further, as ask, post a picture of the instrument panel.... show the panel with in seconds of turning the key to ON... this is the "Bulb check" system check.... ALL lights on the dash should light.

Reactions: Cthornburg1972

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you try to start, does the starter engage and crank the engine?

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
1598471556307-1741396387.jpg
this is the cluster image when giving on or run and start.
today disconnect the rear splice pack and front splice pack but without any different result folks
I don't understand what could be happening

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
When you try to start, does the starter engage and crank the engine?
no. When giving start it does not start the engine does not turn
but if I jumper the relay if it activates the starter and turns the engine. but it doesn't when turning the key

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
thanks for the info / picture... good. Your new info about the starter not does not engaged / operated. So related to this then and your picture, when you turn your key to ON and NOT try to start, does the check engine light remain on for as long as the key is left in ON? It is important to know this.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
looking at fuses is "no good", you need to check them with a meter along with the sockets of appropriate fuses.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Am I seeing right that the top left fust in the under hood pic fuse panel is blown? Also the fuse being bypassed with wire is concerning on the lower left fuse. Relay cover missing also..

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
thanks for the info / picture... good. Your new info about the starter not does not engaged / operated. So related to this then and your picture, when you turn your key to ON and NOT try to start, does the check engine light remain on for as long as the key is left in ON? It is important to know this.
when I turn the switch to on, the lights that are in the photo come on. then they go off and only the battery warning light and the airbag warning light remain lit, as well as the odometer reading.
1598472714190431877117.jpg
this is the picture when switch is run and start
Please helpme

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
looking at fuses is "no good", you need to check them with a meter along with the sockets of appropriate fuses.
ok I understand I must change the fuse to the value indicated by the legend. but I have all tested them with a tester and they are fine. they give continuity

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Am I seeing right that the top left fust in the under hood pic fuse panel is blown? Also the fuse being bypassed with wire is concerning on the lower left fuse. Relay cover missing also..
the fuses are ok. give continuity friend does not have the cover for the tests and reviews they have done. the truck is stopped for more than 6 months friend

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
When I turn the key to on or run, a tac tac tac tac sound is generated from an actuator of the hvac system
the sound is only removed when turning the key to start and it sounds again to return the key to start1598474546208-1507343905.jpg

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
when I turn the switch to on, the lights that are in the photo come on. then they go off and only the battery warning light and the airbag warning light remain lit, as well as the odometer reading.
View attachment 96467
this is the picture when switch is run and start
Please helpme
OK... Just to be VERY CLEAR.... with the KEY IN ON only and not try to start, the check engine light is not ON... right? IF THIS IS TRUE, then you have a problem with the PCM status / powering. Your check engine light should remain on / lit for as long as your key is in ON... it should not go out!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado

Looks like that blown fuse does not fit in this fuseblock anyway, wrong type. And that jumper wire is where the fuse puller tool usually lives.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
When I turn the key to on or run, a tac tac tac tac sound is generated from an actuator of the hvac system
the sound is only removed when turning the key to start and it sounds again to return the key to startView attachment 96471
the sound is only removed when turning the key to start and it sounds again to return the key to startView attachment 96471

The tac tac sound is a bad hvac actuator. Not a problem as fas as starting the engine. You can ignore that for now.

Reactions: Mramses

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
View attachment 96458
this is the cluster image when giving on or run and start.
today disconnect the rear splice pack and front splice pack but without any different result folks
I don't understand what could be happening

As Budwich stated, there should be a light where indicated in the attached pic below. Here also is my 2002 trailblazer with all lights on.

1598471556307-1741396387.jpgIMG_20200826_151627.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you removed the splice packs, nothing will work, including the check engine light. Reconnect the splice packs for now and try again.

Also, can you connect a code reader and get codes from the PCM? or do you get a connection error?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As Budwich stated, there should be a light where indicated in the attached pic below. Here also is my 2002 trailblazer with all lights on.

View attachment 96477View attachment 96478
@TJBaker57 - The problem I see here is that all his guages are in the ignition off position. As in they have not come up to baseline like your picture shows. I have no idea what would cause this, unless his key wasnt all the way turned on, but in ACC mode.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Your security light with the lock symbol lit?? Is the system not recognizing the computer? I believe you said you changed it out. Other members will know more about this than I do but I do notice in 1 pic it says security system is locked....

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
OK... Just to be VERY CLEAR.... with the KEY IN ON only and not try to start, the check engine light is not ON... right? IF THIS IS TRUE, then you have a problem with the PCM status / powering. Your check engine light should remain on / lit for as long as your key is in ON... it should not go out!
friends please do not stop helping me this has very disappointed me not being able to start my truck. I am from Venezuela and I must translate first and then post, please have a little patience with me brothers

Reactions: TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Your security light with the lock symbol lit?? Is the system not recognizing the computer? I believe you said you changed it out. Other members will know more about this than I do but I do notice in 1 pic it says security system is locked....

It was my understanding that this picture was taken during the bulb check. That is why I posted my 2002 at the same point, during bulb check. Maybe I misinterpreted the image?

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Ok key on display

Attachments

• 20200826_184943.jpg
    20200826_184943.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
When I turn the key to on, all the cluster lights come on and "unknown driver" appears, but after a few seconds they turn off and only the battery and airbag warning light remains on.
no service or check engine light

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Yes the light check engine on for little time later off

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
OK... Just to be VERY CLEAR.... with the KEY IN ON only and not try to start, the check engine light is not ON... right? IF THIS IS TRUE, then you have a problem with the PCM status / powering. Your check engine light should remain on / lit for as long as your key is in ON... it should not go out![/QUOTE
yes. the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to on without trying to start but then for a second the check engine light goes out and remains off

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
If you removed the splice packs, nothing will work, including the check engine light. Reconnect the splice packs for now and try again.

Also, can you connect a code reader and get codes from the PCM? or do you get a connection error?
I have tried to connect an innova scanner and an elm327 but there is no connection.
for now they have not been able to scan the truck

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020

friend please don't stop helping me. I was able to locate another pcm tomorrow I install it to verify if it does the same in the cluster

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
This is splice pack rear
Slight hijack... For the forum members.. What is this, and where is this?
[/QUOTE
that's the splice pack of the back seat where some of the modules of the truck communicate friend
Since I was reading here that if it presents a wiring ground fault or module failure, faults are generated in the truck of this type but I did the tests and everything remains the same

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
my lock light comes on when I turn the key to ON but then turns off and only the BATTERY light and the AIRBAG light remain on
the check engine light also turns off and does not stay on
UNKNOWN DRIVER appears on the display

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I know this is a longshot but you didnt have a new key made by chance???

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online