Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sparky said:
Much appreciated. Here's another:

Instead of simply retaining tapatalk access, which was running before the acquisition, they disabled it claiming it was a security issue, then waited a year, and rolled out a private-branded tapatalk that cost $$$. Now, they're backpedaling, and it's now free. Community service my ass. In their eyes, we're mere revenue emitters, to be milked.

Oh, and the Quaker State ROTM debacle. Look at November's winner, a joke entry. The Admin was making fun of us making fun of the contest that had a worthless prize anyway and the VS staff couldn't even come up with a reasonable set of winners.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
I knew you were special when you were 16 and trying to hide it on-line to not get stereotyped. Was on my bucket list to meet you in person and in Vegas I got to check that off without paying for a plane ticket. A grateful Roadie thanks you for spending more money than I did to make the meet. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Seriously - my house is open if you ever want to visit San Diego.

Thank you Bill, Ive got some friends down that way so a visit is in the future, just not sure when! Craig and I have tossed the idea around of a roadtrip from Spokane/Seattle down to Vegas, if we do I can almost guarantee we'll end up in the San Diego area. :cool:

I wanted to come to SEMA, meeting you (and Larry, karella, plus seeing Steve again) was a HUGE added bonus and factor in the trip down. Sealed the deal for me!

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Please take a look at these three posts... pay special attention to the username that posted the first too, then read the second sentence of the second post. After that, the third post will put it all into perspective.

Archived axle replacement thread - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Later, I will explain the story behind all of it. But once they are forced to remove that, it will no longer serve as a story prop to explain VerticalScope's EPIC FAIL.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hijacking and reposting other's information. :hopeless: I guess I shouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yup, my truck in my driveway. I did all the work, took all the pictures, and posted. That's even my hand you can see in a lot of the pictures. I dare anyone on the OS to try to say anything different.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
Much appreciated. Here's another:

Instead of simply retaining tapatalk access, which was running before the acquisition, they disabled it claiming it was a security issue, then waited a year, and rolled out a private-branded tapatalk that cost $$$. Now, they're backpedaling, and it's now free. Community service my ass. In their eyes, we're mere revenue emitters, to be milked.

Oh, and the Quaker State ROTM debacle. Look at November's winner, a joke entry. The Admin was making fun of us making fun of the contest that had a worthless prize anyway and the VS staff couldn't even come up with a reasonable set of winners.

Done.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
In case (when) it gets deleted:

I'll start off by saying that I didn't change my sig, or post links or anything on Trailvoy to the new site... Yes, I am on GMTN, but I'm hocking metal for these things, so why wouldn't I be everywhere the audience is?

I think the case in point (or one of them) about the site not getting updated is, the fact that the latest tech how-to article was posted in 2008... I know I've personally been trying to get a brake controller install, that I took the time to document and write up, posted since right before VS purchased the site... I've contacted the mods about it, and they said that there were several articles they were trying to get posted, but they don't have that ability since VS took over, and that I should contact the Admin account on here to check progress... I sent a couple messages about getting it posted to the Admin account (1 per year), and never heard anything back, as far as I recall... I finally just made it a PDF and had a motorcycle buddy post it on his server, so people could at least download it...

I don't find the current amount of ads objectionable, but the ads right up until the GMTN grand opening and everybody jumping ship were really over the top... The large Google ad down the side bar (below the site vendors), the large ad between the user bar at the top and the forum posts, the pop-up ad for a bit, and last but CERTAINLY not least, the Jag ad that scrollled with you, and stayed at the bottom of the screen... These ads were not only intrusive, but sometimes hung up, and would stop the pages from loading, making the site almost un-surfable... There were a few threads on this in the "site suggestions" forum, but then there were more ads added...

I'll ad a story (pun intended), that may or may not mean anything to anybody... I'm an Engineer, but my grandfather was a farmer, and I spent a lot of time down there as a kid. Farming is a lot of give and take. In order to keep the mineral levels in the ground, and to keep the ground fertile, you have to alternate between corn, wheat, and beans... One of the 3 yields a higher $/acre, but you have to give back to the ground by planting the other 2, as well, to keep the minerals balanced. There were large farming operations that would buy up any land anybody was selling, farm just the higher $/acre crop, then sell it when it had turned to shat. This is referred to as "raping the land," and is generally frowned upon by real farmers. Draw any parallels you wish.

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice parable.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Me007gold said:
So did they go back in and post date that post? Using an inactive members account?

I am guessing that is probably the case. I never saw this come up a few months ago when it was supposedly posted, nor had anyone else as is apparent from the complete lack of replies on it. I am certain that with the number of post whoring over there that there would be at least one or two plus 1's if that was really posted back a few months ago.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
More passing the blame

Admin said:
I do take it personally... I have worked for this company for a long time and regardless of the blame game you are addressing me at this moment, not the company.

Im still asking for your input, if you have nothing to add then just don' stay anything. Because you havent given me anything to work on.

1. I will install Tapatalk, never knew you had it before. It can run in parallel with the autoguide app. Every site that I knew had it prior to our app still has it. So im not sure why its different here.

2. In regards to the Quakerstate ROTM the contest is only as good as the moderators on the sites wanted it to be. On many sites, every month, winners received free oil changes. VS paid those things, and it was very successful on those sites. The prize was representative of the company that offered it - an oil change - as they are an oil company. Reasonable sets of winners were picked by the moderation team on the site, not by VS - Cayne's job was to relay the winner to us. We'll take blame where it's due, but the program on Trailvoy was run by the moderator team, who was disinterested in it, and it failed.

Stew

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
Just wanted to say Thanks again to everyone behind the scenes here. Were gonna have a great site here, I only posted the link to the post on TV from the admin there because of its content.

Thanks again to all Mods.....

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Regulator said:
Yup, my truck in my driveway. I did all the work, took all the pictures, and posted. That's even my hand you can see in a lot of the pictures. I dare anyone on the OS to try to say anything different.

When you click on the links, they even display your user name in the photobucket url :rotfl:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
2. In regards to the Quakerstate ROTM the contest is only as good as the moderators on the sites wanted it to be. On many sites, every month, winners received free oil changes. VS paid those things, and it was very successful on those sites. The prize was representative of the company that offered it - an oil change - as they are an oil company. Reasonable sets of winners were picked by the moderation team on the site, not by VS - Cayne's job was to relay the winner to us. We'll take blame where it's due, but the program on Trailvoy was run by the moderator team, who was disinterested in it, and it failed.

Stew

HUH???? What the hell kind of BS is he spewing now??? We never had any input in to that contest!! Do you think we would have allowed a fake submission like the one that won last time? The Roadie tried to get them to give us the results of the contest... over and over .... and we couldn't even get that!!

1. I will install Tapatalk, never knew you had it before. It can run in parallel with the autoguide app. Every site that I knew had it prior to our app still has it. So im not sure why its different here.

Seriously?? When they disabled it, we asked why. We were ignored of course. Then we were told it was disabled in favor of the upcoming autoguide app. We as moderators and admins did NOT have the authority to install or remove tapatalk.

He says we never tried to bring up any issues..... really..... somebody PLEASE point out the link to the thread in the comment section where everyone was complaining about the Jaguar ads. We merged a few threads into that one. The best advice the mods could give was "use adblock", because we were powerless to fix it and nobody from VS would respond to us!! :hissyfit::hissyfit:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Call me stupid, but wouldn't it be better to put effort into making this site everybody wants it to be instead of looking back at the old forum????

In my book it's better to make something better than what you leave behind. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
07ChevyTruck said:
Call me stupid, but wouldn't it be better to put effort into making this site everybody wants it to be instead of looking back at the old forum????

In my book it's better to make something better than what you leave behind. :thumbsup:

Yes you're right, but at the same time, it's hard to walk away when someone badmouths you and removes your ability to stand up for yourself. Not to mention that whole lawsuit thing. Tends to complicate things a bit.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
It's just like creeping on an old girlfriends Facebook. Sure, shes a whore and you want nothing to do with her. Despite that, you can't help but watch what happens next.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
Please take a look at these three posts... pay special attention to the username that posted the first too, then read the second sentence of the second post. After that, the third post will put it all into perspective.

Archived axle replacement thread - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Later, I will explain the story behind all of it. But once they are forced to remove that, it will no longer serve as a story prop to explain VerticalScope's EPIC FAIL.

When I clicked it, the 2nd post of that thread is this:

el kabong said:
After spending half an hour looking for a how do to it with pics I found this archived and thought I would repost for anyone (like me) who needs to do this. This is not my post I am not taking credit for anything other than finding it. This should be a sticky in the 4x4 section IMO.

Did they put that in between the original copied post and Regulator's post?

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
When I clicked it, the 2nd post of that thread is this:

Did they put that in between the original copied post and Regulator's post?

No, the 1st and second posts where made by the same person, with in 3 minutes of each other

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:
It's just lime creeping on an old girlfriends Facebook. Sure, shes a whore and you want nothing to do with her. Despite that, you can't help but watch what happens next.

Hmm, not speaking from past experience are we? :raspberry:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Yes you're right, but at the same time, it's hard to walk away when someone badmouths you and removes your ability to stand up for yourself. Not to mention that whole lawsuit thing. Tends to complicate things a bit.

I didn't know anything about a lawsuit. That really sucks.

I was just trying to get everyone focused on this site and making it a great place to get information and connect with other GMT owners.

smitty5150 said:
It's just like creeping on an old girlfriends Facebook. Sure, shes a whore and you want nothing to do with her. Despite that, you can't help but watch what happens next.

07 TB RIDER said:
Hmm, not speaking from past experience are we? :raspberry:

Note to self don't upset smitty5150 he might wish to spy on me. :biggrin:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
07ChevyTruck said:
Note to self don't upset smitty5150 he might wish to spy on me. :biggrin:

Its not so much spying.... its more like peeking in your windows. However, in all fairness, those allegations were never proven!:biggrin:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Ghoster said:
Its not so much spying.... its more like peeking in your windows. However, in all fairness, those allegations were never proven!:biggrin:

Edit on note to self - smitty5150 may possibly be a peeping tom, but there is no evidence to support this. Anyway I will make sure all blinds are closed. :biggrin:

Now is this making the site fun at smitty5150's expense???? :undecided:

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
Regulator said:
When you click on the links, they even display your user name in the photobucket url :rotfl:

The OS "photos" are links to Regulator's photobucket account. It would be ironic if the actual photos were photoshopped to include the GMTNation.com logo.

While replacing the photos altogether could be real amusing, that would mostly harm the Trailvoy owners searching for the helpful information. They should not get caught in any crossfire.

I would hope that this site becomes the default choice based on the quality and organization of information. As a relative newbie to online forums, I think the occasional passerby is less frustrated by ads than the VOLUME of posts to overcome to get to the info. And if you're not interested in providing info to the drop-in folks, why bother hosting a public web site and promoting it on facebook and window decals?!

Just my :twocents:, but I have a large penny collection.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Truths eventually come out with enough discussion.

That's why I like digging... and then watching things unravel.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Ghoster said:

Antoine_Dodson_Hide_Your_Kids_Hide_Your_Wife_Hide_your_Kids-s795x799-83731-580.jpg

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I only wish that I had posted something of value that is worth fighting over on the os?:wink:

Maybe I should still login to the os like an internet "sleeper cell" doing damage with my assinine questions and more corny than horny; "Post a pic of your wife or girlfriend" replies?:rotfl:

I like the way we roll here. I am not sure who is left over there?...nor do I know you guys/gals as well as some of you know each other....but it seems to me....the HEAVY HITTERS are here. Content is king and we have the Kings of Content from what I can see. Living it and loving it so far.

So happy many of our lovely ladies have checked in also....gottta have it!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Wyle said:
.... I think the occasional passerby is less frustrated by ads than the VOLUME of posts to overcome to get to the info. ........

I think this is why a lot of newbs post simple questions.
They do a search (if they even know the terms to search) and find 100 threads similar to what they are looking for and have to wade through 8 pages of fluff to realize what they need isn't in there.
They then go to the next thread and read through several pages there.
After they go through 3-4 threads they post their question.....

I just bought an old golf cart.
I don't know the first thing about them.
I went to what appears to be the most popular site for carts and started reading about my cart.
I didn't know enough at first to even know what to search.
There were lots of threads about batteries and such but nothing like outlining the major components of the cart for newbs.
I ended up having to post an opening thread with what I expect most would consider dumb questions.

Trailvoy has lots of great content if you can find it but there are acres of similar posts that you have to wade through.
I think the guys who started ORTB learned from that and do a pretty good job of having stickies and such and pointing folks to the common questions and answers and actually saying "use the search newb". It might seem a little harsh at times(nothing like pirate4X4) but in the end it makes for a more useful community without as much noise.

This site appears to be on the right path. I expect since there is more traffic than on ORTB there will also be more noise but hopefully not as much as Trailvoy

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
I think this is why a lot of newbs post simple questions.
They do a search (if they even know the terms to search) and find 100 threads similar to what they are looking for and have to wade through 8 pages of fluff to realize what they need isn't in there.
They then go to the next thread and read through several pages there.
After they go through 3-4 threads they post their question.....

I just bought an old golf cart.
I don't know the first thing about them.
I went to what appears to be the most popular site for carts and started reading about my cart.
I didn't know enough at first to even know what to search.
There were lots of threads about batteries and such but nothing like outlining the major components of the cart for newbs.
I ended up having to post an opening thread with what I expect most would consider dumb questions.

Trailvoy has lots of great content if you can find it but there are acres of similar posts that you have to wade through.
I think the guys who started ORTB learned from that and do a pretty good job of having stickies and such and pointing folks to the common questions and answers and actually saying "use the search newb". It might seem a little harsh at times(nothing like pirate4X4) but in the end it makes for a more useful community without as much noise.

This site appears to be on the right path. I expect since there is more traffic than on ORTB there will also be more noise but hopefully not as much as Trailvoy

I am hoping for way more noise!!! :biggrin:

As for the info....

I still under construction, but it is what this site is being built for! http://gmtnation.com/f92/faq-under-construction-703/

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
see, I've been here a week and didn't know there was an FAQ page.
Is there a way to direct newbs there the first time they log in?

:rotfl:

I just put it up a few hours ago. Its far from complete, but our intention is to have it listed in the new members e-mail for reference. All the more seasoned members will be able to direct newbs there instead of just yelling at them to SEEAAARRRCCCHHHH!:cool:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I like the links to ORTB, why duplicate and maintain the info in two places.
There is also a lift chart over there that might be useful to new folks. It won't help the lowered/street guys but it should be helpful to anyone who wants to go up. I think someone also built a neat tool on here that uses that information, it had filtering capability that I don't know how to do.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
I like the links to ORTB, why duplicate and maintain the info in two places.
There is also a lift chart over there that might be useful to new folks. It won't help the lowered/street guys but it should be helpful to anyone who wants to go up. I think someone also built a neat tool on here that uses that information, it had filtering capability that I don't know how to do.

Feel free to add it to my FAQ to-do list!!

http://gmtnation.com/f7/help-us-build-faq-list-705/

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
smitty5150 said:
I'm watching all of you as we speak. And no, I don't have any candy.

No! You have cookies!!!!! :biggrin:

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
07ChevyTruck said:
...In my book it's better to make something better than what you leave behind. :thumbsup:

And would you not agree that we are well on the way to that goal? The only thing we don't have (yet) is 6-7 years of posts by experienced members. We have the experienced members, and we can't rush time.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
And would you not agree that we are well on the way to that goal? The only thing we don't have (yet) is 6-7 years of posts by experienced members. We have the experienced members, and we can't rush time.

We have the members... and we aren't burdened with all the static that's over there.

I know I personally have a dozen or more articles that need to get transferred/rewritten. Give us time. We'll populate this site quicker than many would think possible.

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Well, I was the one that used to compose the articles that were submitted on TrailVoy. It was a lot of work to keep them uniform and clean before they were posted to the public. When VS took over and the shit began, I decided it was no longer worth it to contribute hours and hours of my time so they can make a profit, and I stopped processing articles. While it was counter-productive for the community, I was so fed up that it just didn't matter at that point.

All of my articles have been moved over here, and other members have also submitted their articles to help us get a start. If you have an article on TrailVoy, or not, and you want to post it here, please contact me to find out what information requirements we have (just basic info). Also, if your article is posted on TrailVoy, we will need an email from you authorizing us to display the article, and stating that you are the owner/author of the content.

We don't want anymore erroneously filed DMCA Takedown Notices from the geniuses in the Information Technology Office at VerticalScope (that story is coming later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online