Tool Talk

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
After much deliberation, I finally settled on a set or 2 of ratcheting wrenches. I wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted though, 6 pt locking flex in one set from 8-25mm. So I got these Westward's locking flex but 12pt 21, 22, 24, & 25 eBay $55 And Tekton non locking flex 6pt 8-19mm $135 direct.
Under strong consideration was S-K Tools X-Frame, they seem to make a good ratcheting wrench, very fine tooth movement, in 6pt, but not flex. :cry: Oh well, I'll put these to the test tomorrow.
I just don't understand tool companies, it's like they are thinking, but then stop just short. And FWIW, if anyone knows, is there a good reason to have a 12pt socket? I can see the use of a 12 pt combination wrench, but a socket?

Attachments

• 0130201727.jpg
    0130201727.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 8

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
And FWIW, if anyone knows, is there a good reason to have a 12pt socket? I can see the use of a 12 pt combination wrench, but a socket?
Yeah, they're really handy when you want to round off a bolt head. Really though, I have a small set of 12pt, seldom used. Once in awhile I'll come across a fastener head that is specifically designed for a 12pt but it's definitely rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Beacon and mrrsm

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
For those that care, Tekton makes 6pt ratcheting wrenches. Only ones I've see. Seems like hard to reach fastener acquisition may be tough but they've gotta be better than 12pt, right?

Reactions: jmonica

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I plan on switching to Tekton tools. Everyone carries them now, so exchanging will be much easier since HD is open until 10 pm!

I bought this dent remover to see if I can get the large dents out of the lift-gate tonight.

51ad1WznBeL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg IMG_20200119_223350_2.jpg
Edit: added a pic of the dent remover. One did not come through with the hyperlink.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
Westward LOCKING flex head wrenches review

He wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Erie

That sums my review of the locking mechanism, while trying to remove upper control arm bolts, the switch gets snagged on everything, even hydrogen, turning the end of the wrench into over cooked spaghetti.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On the 6 vs 12 point thing, I've rounded a lot nuts with cheap 12 points. I have one set of nice matco 12 points and they don't round off anything. That being said, I go for the 6 because they're easier to find in the drawer. I've got like 5 sets in 6. 12 point fasteners actually give better torque readouts, that's why the same grade hardware can use a reduced 12 point head. Plus you can beat an undersized 12 point on a rusty bolt to get it out. They have their uses, that's why I keep them lol.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Re: Tool Talk Post #409, #410 & #411...

I tried out using the Harbor Freight US General Magnetic Towel Dispenser Holders in a practical setting on my Truck Fender on a VERY Windy Day. It turned out to be a cool solution by keeping the Roll of Scott Shop Towels right at hand within an EZ2 reach Position AND by holding down the Blue Drop Cover Cloth I laid out in the Driver's Side Engine Well from getting blown all over the place. @Mounce 's HF US General Cart with its Extra Optional Gear... Really IS the Gift that Keeps On Giving:

HFTOWELDISPENSER.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I’ve been Hitting my Bank Account pretty hard lately on Tools and ACDelco Parts Purchases (OUCH!)… but after a bit of struggle with my Duralast 20-150 Ft Lb Torque Wrench NOT Clicking when it got close to the MAX Setting as needed on my Y2K Truck 18MM Rear Caliper Bolts, I started looking around for a Better Tool.

The research I started with came from THIS Video Comparing FOUR, FULLY FEATURED DIGITAL TORQUE ANGLE TORQUE WRENCHES. If you are thinking about getting ANY one of these...THIS Video is a Complete Tool Shopper's Education:

<<<NO SPOILERS HERE>>>

I wanted to replace it with something having a Much Higher Torque Value threshold WITH GOOD ACCURACY, so when considering all of the OTHER’s options, when I saw this ACDelco 1/2” Heavy Duty Digital Torque Wrench… with a Built-in TTY Angle Gauge Capability listed on Amazon for … $211.00 & FREE S&H, I decided a few days ago that I just had to GET ONE:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GOUNZ10/?tag=gmtnation-20

This “Shop Tools Reviews” YT Video shows this thing with all of its built-in Warnings in action:
(With Flashing Lights, Sound Buzzer & Handle Vibrations):

...and finally, these are my additional ACDelco “Un-Boxing” images over on my “Flickr-Bucket”:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157712945289306/with/49479357987/

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Word of caution on the 1/2" drive digital torque wrenches - If you're using it to measure angle on something that is on the low end of the torque range of the wrench, it likely will not register. I've had that happen with mine so I "had" to buy a 3/8" drive digital torque wrench. It came in handy when I replaced the timing chains and water pump on a Ford Explorer and the front cover had 25 bolts and all of them had a final torque specification in degrees.

Reactions: mrrsm

whodwho

Mar 7, 2019
CA
Nice add, need one of those myself!

Seen your HF mag strips on your box cart and remembered I had added these, they are almost the exact span of the two bolts. I added one to each side, good for the long extensions and for that quick needed pry bar.

They also work fairly well for a socket strip 8^)

IMG_3738 (Small) - Copy.JPGIMG_3740 (Small) - Copy.JPGIMG_3739 (Small) - Copy.JPG

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Needed to get these NEIKO TORX 1/2" Impact Grade Bits for the R&R of my Y2K Front Brake Calipers:

NEIKOTORX1.jpgNEIKOTORX3.jpgNEIKOTORX5.jpg

With the decline of us making many trips to local Supermarkets... ALL of my "Sharps" have been dulled by constantly opening Walmart Food Orders and Amazon & eBay Cardboard Boxes, etc. So after seeing a few YT Comparison and Full Test Videos, I chose this "Lower End" Bavarian Edge version for my next Knife Sharpener. Damn ...this thing works FAST and it WILL Put a Decent Edge on your Cutlery:

BAVARIANEDGE1.jpgBAVARIANEDGE2.jpgBAVARIANEDGE3.jpgBAVARIANEDGE6.jpgBAVARIANEDGE8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FYI... for those who might be looking for tool chests (roller boxes, etc.)... I recently found out I have a Sears Outlet near me that sells their excess / discontinued / etc., Craftsman stock -- cheaper than HF's lines, on average. I picked up a cheap ($43 w/tax!) 'middle box' the other day with two large drawers to tide me over until I decide what I want to get, long-term (I've got a 26" roller stack and have finally outgrown it after about 10yrs)

Most of the rollers are between 26" and 52"; some have matching top boxes in the same widths. No double-wide 74" banks, no side cabinets. But for a duffer like me, they're fine (most have the ball-bearing slides at a minimum, for example).

I'll never understand why the Matco / Snap-On / etc. boxes are so damned expensive, except to carry on the pricing scheme they give their tools. Looking on CL, people want a fortune for them.

Reactions: Redbeard and Beacon

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After cleaning up the Y2K Truck Front Suspension and gaining ready access to all of the Ball Joint Fittings, I decided to get the Amazon Best Seller $26.00 version of the BRAVEX Manual Grease Gun. I took some EZ2 Install images of the simple but necessary steps in using some Teflon Tape and REALLY tightening down the New Lock-N-Lube Grease Fitting and the other end of the High Pressure Hose as well right on the Head of the Grease Gun:

BRAVEXGREASEGUN1.jpgBRAVEXGREASEGUNA.jpgBRAVEXGREASEGUNB.jpgBRAVEXGREASEGUNC.jpgBRAVEXGREASEGUND.jpg

This device develops 6,000 PSI...so any sketchy fitment will soon reveal itself after just a few squeezes on the Pump Handle. The BRAVEX Grease Gun features an EXCELLENT Non-Slip Rubber Grip on the lower Cartridge Cylinder Body not normally found on these Damned Things and displays Chrome Plating and Quality everywhere else:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK2ZD4N/?tag=gmtnation-20

BRAVEXGREASEGUN.jpgLOCKNLUBE1.jpg

The Lucas Grease Tubes look like the Right Stuff for this Truck Applications (and was mentioned a while back by @Mooseman):

LUCASXTRAGREASE.jpg

Here is a Link to the Short Pictorial over on my "Flickr-Bucket" imaging the Swap Out of the Bravex OEM Grease Fitting for the MUCH Better choice of the “Lock-N-Lube” Grease Fitting:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157713001016711

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The home depot has a pretty decent portable tool box on sale for 99$. Just throwing it out there. I may pick one up to keep in the back of the truck.

Edit: as I linked in the sale page it ended... disregard.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Got a couple new toys in the last week. Picked up the 3/8 stubby Milwaukee with two 4.0 batteries and a 2.0 battery to compliment the big boy, set of icon torx sockets with their 20% off coupon, Gearwrench sensor socket set, HF/merlin dial tire pressure gauge, and a HF/us general magnetic power strip for the roll cart.

20200208_151425_HDR(1).jpg

Big guy blasts lug nuts and little fella can handle them but has to work for it. Of course not what it's made for but had to try it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mounce ... You of all GMTN Members deserves to have those "Fuel Tools"...But a Word of Caution based upon recent experiences:

The Milwaukee "Big Gun" comes with a Dangerous Surprise if you are not careful to observe the Power of its Smooth, Brushless Motor and 1,400 Foot Pounds of Torque. If you wear Nitrile Gloves and have the same Bad Habit I "had" of holding the Impact Grade Socket very close to the end near the Lug Nuts when using ordinary Power Tools... Beware the Milwaukee's ease of powering them off the Wheels of your Silverado.

The Tool works so fast in unwinding those Lug Nuts that it can stick to the Socket , Grab your Thumb and Roll it around counter-clockwise in between the faces of the Lug Nut Hex shapes and trap it in the Hollow of the Wheel on the Back Side. If you're Reflexes are too slow... That Tool can Break your Thumb and Crush it like a Grape in between if you can't get free quick enough.

The Milwaukee M-18 Volt Batteries will NOT require using more the the 2nd or 3rd Button Position Setting of All 4 Buttons on most Passenger Vehicles... and using the Lowest Possible Settings will save you a lot of grief.

The Milwaukee "Fuel Impact Guns" have some kind of Smart technology that will Slow the Motor Down automatically as soon as those Fasteners Break Free... so you'll have enough time to keep them from spinning completely off before you can grab them. It just takes a bit of getting used to...

Last edited:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
After much deliberation, I finally settled on a set or 2 of ratcheting wrenches. I wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted though, 6 pt locking flex in one set from 8-25mm. So I got these Westward's locking flex but 12pt 21, 22, 24, & 25 eBay $55 And Tekton non locking flex 6pt 8-19mm $135 direct.
Under strong consideration was S-K Tools X-Frame, they seem to make a good ratcheting wrench, very fine tooth movement, in 6pt, but not flex. :cry: Oh well, I'll put these to the test tomorrow.
I just don't understand tool companies, it's like they are thinking, but then stop just short. And FWIW, if anyone knows, is there a good reason to have a 12pt socket? I can see the use of a 12 pt combination wrench, but a socket?

For 12 point bolts. Harley Davidson uses them, among others.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Need to get a torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft-lb (1/2" drive). Since I'm going to be working with TTY fasteners soon, was thinking about 'splurging' for a digital one.

Anyone have a favorite, or at least something that's served them well? I don't tend to abuse my tools, but I'm not perfect, either. I'm not the type that would drop a torque wrench 3 feet, but won't gingerly set it down (into its case) after tightening a bolt (unless it's the last one) :biggrin:

I've looked at the HF options - an Icon click-type (no angle capability, but has a lifetime warranty), and a Quinn (digital) that has the angle, memory, etc., but only the 90-day warranty.

Now looking at Amazon's options; there are some there, but while they have a supposed lifetime warranty, I don't recognize any of the brands as being there, 'long-haul'.

If I'm spending > $100 for a tool, I'd like it to have some type of decent warranty (longer than a year, if possible). If those squared-off split-beam wrenches are more rugged than the round type, I'll take that into account.

I do have a 5:1 multiplier... it's fine, but with the added bulk / width, there are places that I can't get it into.

The angle capability isn't a hard / fast requirement - I'm fine with getting one of the little angle gauges, for what I'll need that for. The 250 ft-lb is the thing I can't yield on (brake caliper bracket bolts, etc.) I'm good with a higher max than that, too, but 250 ft-lb is my 'must have'.

No, I'm not spending $400-500 for something like a Snap-On; I'm a hobby mech, not a pro.

And once again, I've written a post that ostensibly asks one question... but really asks for the world. Sorry :frown:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I like this one from Amazon a lot! Lifetime guarantee (if you're not a pro mech), digital display, 1/2 drive/ goes from 25-250 ft pounds. Sadly no audio beep, but it's only $89 with some pretty good reviews.

I have a cheap HF 1/2 250 ft lb torque wrench and the one thing I can't stand is at low torque (50-80/100 ft lb), I can't really feel if it's clicking/releasing or not. I would want an audio beep or LED indication at this point because of that.

Reactions: Reprise

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
@Reprise my 2 cents, if you have some time and patience, look on eBay, for a tool truck brand. If doing so, you might want to check the company website, to see if you're getting a current production tool. I bought an Icon 1/2 before I ever thought to check eBay. I used it about 4 times, seems ok. I also bought a Cornwell 3/8 drive on eBay for 26+ s&h. I tested it at work, and it's dead on accurate. If you're ok with an angle gauge, Icon or ebay

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I am of the type that can't work with gloves on. Once I lose tactile dexterity, I might as well not have fingers, they become pretty useless. I'll deal with scrubbing and washing the grease off my hands in trade for my hands working accurately.
I hear that! Its cold where I live and it drives me crazy to have to wear gloves to do anything., Even just the thin Nitrile gloves takes so much away from my ability to just do things. I'm not that coordinated to begin with so I need to feel what I'm working on. I know this sounds dumb, but when I am working on something fiddly where I need to attach or insert something (No jokes please, unless they are really funny hehe) I often close my eyes so that i can just feel what I am doing. Lame I know.

Reactions: Mounce

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
For Christmas this year I had asked for a new flex head 3/8" ratchet. I saw a Williams one that looked decent and put it on my list. Low and behold I got it! I was so excited to get out in o the garage and try that baby. So after a few months of using it during a trans swap and a multitude of other jobs on the envoy I have come to realize that I hate that ratchet. Mainly the switch to change directions. It's tiny and hard to move and with gloves on almost impossible. I have a Gear Wrench one that is the same size that I always grab for first now. It works great and feels good in the hand.
I'd LOVE to have one of those Milwaukee Cordless "Fuel" Impacts that some guys are showing on here. I have heard that they are super nice and super powerful. Oh well, some day maybe.

Got a couple new toys in the last week. Picked up the 3/8 stubby Milwaukee with two 4.0 batteries and a 2.0 battery to compliment the big boy, set of icon torx sockets with their 20% off coupon, Gearwrench sensor socket set, HF/merlin dial tire pressure gauge, and a HF/us general magnetic power strip for the roll cart.

View attachment 93069

Big guy blasts lug nuts and little fella can handle them but has to work for it. Of course not what it's made for but had to try it.
Very nice! I am VERY jealous! Love the Orange toolbox too! Exactly what I would get if I could. Good luck with it!

Reactions: mrrsm and Mounce

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have a tekton 1/2 that goes to 250. It was plus or minus 1% all the way up to the top... that's about as those click style torque wrenches get. I've used the electric style ones in the past but they generally couldn't handle shop duty. They're more of a building tool rather than a go to for everything torque wrench. However it would have been nice for the engine on the vette. A lot of the head bolts were too awkward to get to and actually be able to feel the click in a comfortable manner. But racecar problems...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
1% is pretty damned accurate... most I see are 4%; a couple at 3%. That's on the tightening side; if a torque wrench loosens (hey, some don't have the provision), you'll often see them lose 1% in that direction. So I'd be thrilled with 1%.

IIRC, the Meijer near me carries Tekton. I'll have to look into that brand. Was going to go with the Icon, as soon as HF puts another 20% off coupon online (I don't need the wrench 'today', and especially if I'm not getting a 'digital' one). I ordered the torque angle gauge, and will use my existing clicker wrench with it, for my head bolts.

I did look on the Bay, but didn't see anything I liked (that my firstborn wasn't requested as payment for). Appreciate the suggestion, @Beacon

@jmonica - I bought my first flex head ratchet (1/2") a few months ago, and I LOVE the thing! Really comes in handy in tight spaces - when I was doing my idler arm on the Sierra recently, I was overjoyed that I could flex the head / socket 90 degrees and still exact leverage on the fastener. It's my go-to now, over a fixed ratchet -- even when I don't need the flex capability. The one I have (Pittsburgh / HF) has a LOT less slop in it than my old Craftsman POS... :biggrin: Even has little 'on' and 'off' labels for the direction lever stamped in the head. What more could I ask for?

Re: gloves. I can work with the nitrile; my issue is that they tear fairly easily (the 5 mil), and I want to pick up some thicker ones (issue there is that they only have 50/box, compared to 100 in the thinner ones). Since I don't tend to get up every time I rip one, to change gloves, my hands wind up getting filthy anyway. But I do try and wear them, especially since oil is a carcinogen. Notice how mechanics wear them now?
Like you, I don't use the padded mechanic gloves for dexterity -- those are for when you've gotta grip something firmly, or are in danger of skinning knuckles. Sometimes I remember to put them on before I bust a knuckle...lol.
Finally, on closing your eyes... I've done that, too, so don't feel like you're 'crazy'. I haven't done it in awhile, tho. Doing that allows you to concentrate on what you're feeling, and not have your eyes distract you. Generally, I've done it when I can't really see my hands to begin with (blind holes, etc.) and knowing that if I drop the bolt / nut / tool, I'm unlikely to ever find it again w/o taking some major sh!t apart. Sometimes I'm successful...sometimes not 🤷‍♂️

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
1% is pretty damned accurate... most I see are 4%; a couple at 3%. That's on the tightening side; if a torque wrench loosens (hey, some don't have the provision), you'll often see them lose 1% in that direction. So I'd be thrilled with 1%.

IIRC, the Meijer near me carries Tekton. I'll have to look into that brand. Was going to go with the Icon, as soon as HF puts another 20% off coupon online (I don't need the wrench 'today', and especially if I'm not getting a 'digital' one). I ordered the torque angle gauge, and will use my existing clicker wrench with it, for my head bolts.

I did look on the Bay, but didn't see anything I liked (that my firstborn wasn't requested as payment for). Appreciate the suggestion, @Beacon

@jmonica - I bought my first flex head ratchet (1/2") a few months ago, and I LOVE the thing! Really comes in handy in tight spaces - when I was doing my idler arm on the Sierra recently, I was overjoyed that I could flex the head / socket 90 degrees and still exact leverage on the fastener. It's my go-to now, over a fixed ratchet -- even when I don't need the flex capability. The one I have (Pittsburgh / HF) has a LOT less slop in it than my old Craftsman POS... :biggrin: Even has little 'on' and 'off' labels for the direction lever stamped in the head. What more could I ask for?

Re: gloves. I can work with the nitrile; my issue is that they tear fairly easily (the 5 mil), and I want to pick up some thicker ones (issue there is that they only have 50/box, compared to 100 in the thinner ones). Since I don't tend to get up every time I rip one, to change gloves, my hands wind up getting filthy anyway. But I do try and wear them, especially since oil is a carcinogen. Notice how mechanics wear them now?
Like you, I don't use the padded mechanic gloves for dexterity -- those are for when you've gotta grip something firmly, or are in danger of skinning knuckles. Sometimes I remember to put them on before I bust a knuckle...lol.
Finally, on closing your eyes... I've done that, too, so don't feel like you're 'crazy'. I haven't done it in awhile, tho. Doing that allows you to concentrate on what you're feeling, and not have your eyes distract you. Generally, I've done it when I can't really see my hands to begin with (blind holes, etc.) and knowing that if I drop the bolt / nut / tool, I'm unlikely to ever find it again w/o taking some major sh!t apart. Sometimes I'm successful...sometimes not 🤷‍♂️
Yea. I mean the measurement may have had compounded error but it pretty much always read dead on to what it was set at. I haven't checked since but the engine hasn't launched a rod yet...

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
@Reprise Both Meijer and Home Depot carry Tekton. It's the brand I'm working on switching to just because I'll have that option to swap out broken tools at 10PM. I doubt (guessing) that Meijer won't warranty the tools past 30-90 days.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I bought my first flex head ratchet (1/2") a few months ago, and I LOVE the thing!

I worked on my own cars for years thinking a flex head ratchet wasn't a necessity, just a unique tool to blow money on that's not needed. Then bought a 3/8 and a 1/4 comfort grip Pittsburg ratchet real cheap to try out less than a year ago and wow. The number of times that they've saved me headaches since is astounding. Definitely something I think I need to keep around now. I won't buy a snap on, but the HF's are keepers in my book. Dual pawl, look way stronger inside than a single pawl ratchet (every other ratchet I have) just by design, and way smoother too. Cheap? Yeah. Functional? F-yeah.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I worked on my own cars for years thinking a flex head ratchet wasn't a necessity, just a unique tool to blow money on that's not needed. Then bought a 3/8 and a 1/4 comfort grip Pittsburg ratchet real cheap to try out less than a year ago and wow. The number of times that they've saved me headaches since is astounding. Definitely something I think I need to keep around now. I won't buy a snap on, but the HF's are keepers in my book. Dual pawl, look way stronger inside than a single pawl ratchet (every other ratchet I have) just by design, and way smoother too. Cheap? Yeah. Functional? F-yeah.
It took me blasting a dual pawl ratchet with an impact on a nut to finally break it. And even then, it made through 12 before it finally quit.theyre strong as hell. My cousin actually has the new matco version to my old one and the only design change is that the flex portion now has a lock. But the head is significantly thicker because of it. The amount of free snapon and matco stiff that kid got for free saddens me. That shits gorgeous. I presently use husky almost exclusively now. They're the thinnest walled sockets I've found aside from snapon and matco and that makes a huge difference for working on the boat. There are a lot of bolts that a socket difference is all it takes to not get it apart. Plus up until a few months ago the closest harbor freight was half an hour away. All my impact sockets and breakers are from there. I'd say at this point the consumer level tools are about even across the board. Can't go wrong with anything with a lifetime warranty.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Reactions: Mounce

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
'Free'? Inquiring minds want to know... :biggrin:
His professor said "you want this bag of crap?" It had a couple ratchets and a full sets of SAE and metric deep and shallow sockets and some really nice hardened allen keys. He also gets vouchers and discounts as a student. His box is a harbor freight though because they're nice as hell.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I bought the same jack however find the "rapid pump" not so rapid. My old Princess Auto jack was able to get up in just two pumps, this one takes forever. How's yours?

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I've been using this 2 ton for so long I don't remember how I came to own it. The max lift is 12". (I lost that black cover plate years ago.) Needles to say, the 3 ton Pittsburgh is a huge upgrade. There's probably a trade off between speed and mechanical advantage, so I think the jack's speed is decent. It feels physically stable under the TB. And at the point the frame is lifted high enough, the Pittsburgh has alot more to offer.
tb125.jpg

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've got the Daytona yellow snap on 3 ton copy and IMO it's very 'rapid' and has worked well. It's seemed to always had one front (right) wheel that doesn't contact the floor unloaded as if the frame is warped or something. Honestly not sure if it was like that out of the box or if I warped it. Either way it works great. Could definitely tell how heavy that f350 was a few weeks ago though haha.

Also, finally used my m12 ratchet today on 4 nuts and I'm happy with it. Knew I'd be happy with it but reassured after finally using it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The pneumatic jack I bought lifts really quickly when the valve is opened all the way. I also like that you can make the fine adjustments by opening the fill or release valves slightly. I still plan to replace the 2 ball valves with trigger style ones. Maybe this summer. Just have to see how well this holds up long term. Buying a dryer for the air compressor has moved up the priority list. Probably a good idea to keep as much water from getting into the bag as possible, cuz draining it would be a pain. :hopeless:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Buying a dryer for the air compressor has moved up the priority list. Probably a good idea to keep as much water from getting into the bag as possible, cuz draining it would be a pain. :hopeless:
You might be able to get by with a water separator for your application. I had an expensive dryer on my compressor for sand blasting purposes and got rid of it because it always seemed to be something with the damn thing.Now I just go with the separator. :twocents:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online