The Worst Appearance Mods

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The first z71 package was skidplates and different shocks and decals...that is it. On the older pickups the z71 decal was cheaper than the regular 4x4 so many got changed with paint jobs or repairs.

I never thought of Z71 as an upgrade, just a way to check mark a bunch of options without actually knowing what you were ordering. I would rather pick and choose my options...which may cause the z71 badge to be checked, but most don't even know what the package includes.

Mr. Roadie--- I know a guy that had a YJ, before Rubicon Jeeps wexisted, and he would get heat from guys with his hood decals. Funny part was when he pointed out his said R U B I C L O N E

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's my biggest pet peeve: Stick figure families, on anything! Like a single mother once told me, are they trying to make me feel bad with their perfect family? They can go drive off a cliff! :hissyfit:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The worst ones local to me are the ones that take off individual pieces...bumper covers, hood, wing, ground effects, what not and paint them green on a red car or blue on a white car. It does seem to be a cultural thing around here and its not repair/replacement panels as the paint is nice and well done, just different colors.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mooseman said:
Here's my biggest pet peeve: Stick figure families, on anything! Like a single mother once told me, are they trying to make me feel bad with their perfect family? They can go drive off a cliff! :hissyfit:

Coming from a strong family background, I think it's a decision HE didn't win. It's never on a vehicle he wants to drive either. Sucker. As far as she drivers, I stay too far away to know what stickers they have :rotfl:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
To some, that is a challenge. Give it enough time, and resources people will do strange things. So far I have seen an LS civic, an old (80's) Toyota Nova with a 3sgte, and my favorite was the metro with the 5.0.

If I can get on base before the guy leaves there is a Type R Corvette with a huge rally wing, massive air defusers and the ugliest of front bumpers.

I've seen some fantastic mods as well. Some I was part of building. A 911 2.7L stuffed into a Carmen Ghia. A Ford 5.0 dropped into a Miata. A SB 350 nestled into a 71 240Z. And finally a 600+ hp bottle fed Chevy 350 fitted to a Fiero GT. What was not unique to any of these is that there were kits for all of them. The Fiero was probably the easiest. They sold a complete rear subframe. Build it, drop the old one, bolt this one into place.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
IllogicTC said:
This thread's right up my alley.

Case A: Geo Metro
Mod(s)
Decal saying SWEET RIDE over the top of the windshield. Not sure if they're being serious or sarcastic. If it's sarcasm, it's played in a font a little too large to be super funny.

Case B: Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition
Mod(s)
Went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up one of their little stick-on badge-style letters. In particular, the letter "Y." Added it to one of the words in the vehicle's name up there, I'll give you one guess which word. It was actually fairly chuckle-worthy, but since the font and size of the letter didn't match the rest by a very noticeable margin, -points. Not exactly a WORST mod, but it could also be offensive to some, if you think about it.

Case C: Honda Civic
Mod(s)
Ran a racing stripe up the roof, along the top, and down the back. Made out of duct tape.

Case D: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
Mod(s)
Had Z71 decals (with a hefty dose of hunting camouflage for the fill color of the lettering) placed toward the back of the pinstripe on the rear quarter panels. We all know Z71 was not an option for this platform, and even then wouldn't come displayed in Team Realtree. It's almost as bad as adding SS badges.

Case E: Late 90s Ford Mustang
Mod(s)
Had a little decal on the rear quarter window that was a deer. Must be a hunting nut. But directly below this deer the decal read "mustang." My mind was nearly blown with what the owner might have been trying to imply about the proper name for a male deer.

It's hard to get photos. Some of these things I saw a while ago anyway. But I do remember this stuff, that's for sure. I can probably remember more if I stew over it a bit.

Oh, and have a couple from the Internet:

Hate to say but because I see so much of it here in Oakland, CA, I'm betting someone lives in the Lincoln.

That Lumina (or is it a Cavalier) has got one sexy bumper cover. And low cost. Just hope it doesn't get wet.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mooseman said:

I hate those, AND I look at them from my perspective of living in a dangerous city - yeah, let's tell everyone that you've got 3 young kids, and give their names, and 2 are girls. Smart crap to do. I just see it as too much of a security issue. Some guy walks up to the car while mom is putting groceries in it, says his daughter and "Bethany" (or whatever name is on there) go to school together. Mom has suddenly relaxed a little. And gets car jacked or kidnapped.

I am not paranoid. Everyone IS out to get me.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
The worst ones local to me are the ones that take off individual pieces...bumper covers, hood, wing, ground effects, what not and paint them green on a red car or blue on a white car. It does seem to be a cultural thing around here and its not repair/replacement panels as the paint is nice and well done, just different colors.

We must have some of the same cultures here in the armpit of ... I mean here in Oakland, CA. See the same crap. A Lexus SC400, fu¢ked, I mean jacked up on 30" rims, same paint scheme (green with red) and white letters 18" high spelling out L E X U S .

I usually laugh. Let's see if I have images.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:

Or painting the hood black. "Check muh carbon fiberz," yeah okay guy.

Mooseman said:

Yes. This culture seems to have exploded out of nowhere within the past two-three years around here. Now there's "Screw you and your stick figure family" stickers, too. They are indeed a security risk; most people even get their cats and dogs as decals too. Which tells me "hey be careful, this guy's got a dog I need to watch for while I rob him." The same people who don't have a Facebook because "guv'ment watchin' us."

mcsteven said:
Hate to say but because I see so much of it here in Oakland, CA, I'm betting someone lives in the Lincoln.

That Lumina (or is it a Cavalier) has got one sexy bumper cover. And low cost. Just hope it doesn't get wet.

I don't know if you can see what it says over the center, but it reads "My other ride is your mom."

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Or painting the hood black. "Check muh carbon fiberz," yeah okay guy.

Yes. This culture seems to have exploded out of nowhere within the past two-three years around here. Now there's "Screw you and your stick figure family" stickers, too. They are indeed a security risk; most people even get their cats and dogs as decals too. Which tells me "hey be careful, this guy's got a dog I need to watch for while I rob him." The same people who don't have a Facebook because "guv'ment watchin' us."

I don't know if you can see what it says over the center, but it reads "My other ride is your mom."

The blacked out hood is actually a throwback to the muscle car era. Usually done to reduce glare from the sun reflecting off of the hood and into the drivers eyes.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Darkrider_LS said:
The blacked out hood is actually a throwback to the muscle car era. Usually done to reduce glare from the sun reflecting off of the hood and into the drivers eyes.

How is a Civic doing any sort of throwback to the muscle car era :rotfl:

It does make sense on actual muscle cars. And for those with a ton of chrome poking out the middle of the hood, it helps draw attention the main attraction.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
IllogicTC said:
How is a Civic doing any sort of throwback to the muscle car era :rotfl:

It does make sense on actual muscle cars. And for those with a ton of chrome poking out the middle of the hood, it helps draw attention the main attraction.

Fair point, was just explaining it's origins lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Darkrider_LS said:
Fair point, was just explaining it's origins lol
He who has a VW with white on the hood... :raspberry: Maybe that was snow...

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
IllogicTC said:
It's funny because the decal dude is pointing out a crappy-looking mod where "ALL DEM FLAMES increase muh torque by 37 RPM and my intake air temperature dropped 42 foot-pounds since all the heat is away from the intake!"

And of course it's an Illinois vehicle. Why wouldn't it be? :rotfl: (Used to live 20 minutes from Illinois)

Wasn't really pointing out the decals as much as all the other stick on stuff. And all the chrome edging!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
High Voltage said:
Wasn't really pointing out the decals as much as all the other stick on stuff. And all the chrome edging!

Dude, that's not just chrome, that's how he removes the speed limiter for maximum cool factor.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
djthumper said:
He who has a VW with white on the hood... :raspberry: Maybe that was snow...

It was snow :raspberry:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
High Voltage said:
bupeba3u.jpg
9e2y6eza.jpg
uvy9yzuv.jpg

Guess where it was parked!
Outside of JC Whitney!

It's a Ford so he gets a free pass. Especially if he's the 7th owner.

Reminds me of "samscar" from Who's the Boss. She was cute but that thing was hilarious!

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
IllogicTC said:

I was on my phone when I replied earlier, so, no, I didn't. Now that I have a 17" screen in front of me, that thing looks hysterical. I realized it was all cardboard. I had thought only the front end was.

Playsinsnow said:
Reminds me of "samscar" from Who's the Boss. She was cute but that thing was hilarious!

I never saw Sam's car. I only remember Toni's van. If there is 1 thing (or class of things) that I absolutely cannot stand for "mods" it's the stick on openings: vents, scoops, louvers, etc. I remember someone thinking that the 240Z we wedged a SB350 into had fake scoop and vents. Those things were working parts. We used a scoop from a 68 or 69 Mustang - low rise, not too big. Looked perfect on the car.

Oh well - /rant

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
mcsteven said:
I was on my phone when I replied earlier, so, no, I didn't. Now that I have a 17" screen in front of me, that thing looks hysterical. I realized it was all cardboard. I had thought only the front end was.

I never saw Sam's car. I only remember Toni's van. If there is 1 thing (or class of things) that I absolutely cannot stand for "mods" it's the stick on openings: vents, scoops, louvers, etc. I remember someone thinking that the 240Z we wedged a SB350 into had fake scoop and vents. Those things were working parts. We used a scoop from a 68 or 69 Mustang - low rise, not too big. Looked perfect on the car.

Oh well - /rant

The stick on vents are disgusting.

Made me think of the Vette we did work on when I was working for my uncle. Guy had a C6 Z06 that was running a procharger. He wanted to swap to a Whipple for more power (drag car). Well the supercharger would require a cowl induction hood for clearance. He wanted it to look stock so my uncle came up with a plan. Body lift the Vette. Made 1" slotted shims so they could be taken out without removing the bolts. It was still lower than stock height with the race suspension under it.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Stick on badges on any GM with a 5.3 that say 327. It's NOT a freaking 327! :hissyfit:

Also, IMO, taillights with clear lenses or euro taillights. I don't like em.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Mooseman said:

0412121513.jpg

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Playsinsnow said:

According to the front grille, it's a "Flame." And one that is very concerned with ensuring the people to the front of the vehicle are aware of a turn being made. I wonder how it feels to have hazard lamps that probably make your dome lights blink off and on, too :rotfl:

Envoy_04 said:
Stick on badges on any GM with a 5.3 that say 327. It's NOT a freaking 327! :hissyfit:

Also, IMO, taillights with clear lenses or euro taillights. I don't like em.

You're right. 327 is 5.358 liters, rounded to 5.4 :rotfl:

People just wishing they had a man's motor. :rotfl:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
A car with HUGE (like 22" and up) blingy wheels and ultra lo-pro tires, with the wheel and tire combo so big the car has to have a suspension lift to fit them. Seen notably on many 80s Impalas and Cadillacs, also on the 90s Caprices.

Also, a rear window adorned with various racing stickers like Fox and Allballs, plus a big Browning Buckmark or a Mossy Oak emblem, when the driver of the jacked up "bromobile" has obviously never even straddled a quad or dirt bike before, nor hunted anything. Ever.

Similarly, a window so full of performance stickers (Moog, Comp Cams, etc.) that it looks like the sponsorship side panel of a NASCAR stock car.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
A car with HUGE (like 22" and up) blingy wheels and ultra lo-pro tires, with the wheel and tire combo so big the car has to have a suspension lift to fit them. Seen notably on many 80s Impalas and Cadillacs, also on the 90s Caprices.

Also, a rear window adorned with various racing stickers like Fox and Allballs, plus a big Browning Buckmark or a Mossy Oak emblem, when the driver of the jacked up "bromobile" has obviously never even straddled a quad or dirt bike before, nor hunted anything. Ever.

Similarly, a window so full of performance stickers (Moog, Comp Cams, etc.) that it looks like the sponsorship side panel of a NASCAR stock car.

Didn't you know? Performance logos are like the vehicle equivalent of having BEWARE OF DOG and NRA stickers on your house.

Surprised you haven't mentioned the 30948039 people around here with Monster Energy logos on their vehicles. Seen a few Fox Racing, but literally tons of the Browning and Mossy Oak and Team Realtree logos. And one that has a decal on the back window "Keep your dick beaters off my truck." It's a late 80s - early 90's Chevy looks like, it's jacked up but nothing else too special, the paint's what tells me the age more than the shape which is why this decal makes no sense.

Also seems to be a lot of "Silly boys, Jeeps (there's others but Jeeps in particular stand out in much higher quantities) are for girls!" Right, tell that to the guys driving them around fighting World War II :rotfl:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I hate stickers, but my favorite one I have seen was on a jacked up Dodge Cummins diesel. It said, "I'd rather be cummin than strokin" :rotfl:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I hate stickers, but my favorite one I have seen was on a jacked up Dodge Cummins diesel. It said, "I'd rather be cummin than strokin" :rotfl:

Reminds me of another one. This was on a late model Ford Diesel

"Hear the whistle? See the smoke? That's how you know it's PowerStroke."

No, I don't see the smoke. Ford Diesels have had diesel particulate filters for years. :rotfl: And if I recall correctly, Dodge was the first one to put a turbocharger in a "common" diesel truck.

Also, I had a coworker once who used to own a Jeep Liberty. Funny enough, had to get some REAL 4x4 after I got my TB, went and got a Dodge. Made sense I suppose, he ran his farm during the day so the hauling capacity was probably needed. Was absolutely obsessed with this sticker he'd seen on a Jeep one time though, that read "If I wanted a Hummer I'd ask your mother."

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Envoy_04 said:

Donk style very popular in NC and SC, and its hideous, grotesque and very dangerous. I parked next to a Crown Vic at the local Wally World a few years ago and his roof line was higher then mine on the TB (stock height). I have seen 2x4's jammed in the springs, all kinds of crazy spacers and just terrifying stuff because they dont want to spend the money to properly lift the vehicle. I also do not under stand the branding thing, there are several here, Hello Kitty, Vault, McDonalds, and by far the ugliest on is the Redskins one.

IllogicTC said:
Didn't you know? Performance logos are like the vehicle equivalent of having BEWARE OF DOG and NRA stickers on your house.

Surprised you haven't mentioned the 30948039 people around here with Monster Energy logos on their vehicles.

Beware of dog is a good idea in most areas, especially those with a strong liberal bias justice system. Have heard stories of people being sued because they did not have the sign and their dog either bit or scared some one. To go with this I have a large no trespassing, violators may be shot.

I worked very hard to get my monster stickers.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
]

Pictures. Because tons of kid around here have them too :rotfl:

On the subject of the "bromobiles" mentioned by Envoy_04, I see a lot of WV-tag lifts that have no tires to match. Like it's up in the air on dinky little tires, or tires that look appropriate height-wise but width is still stock-thin. Someone told me there's a law where wheels can't protrude beyond the wheel well around here, I don't know if that's true or not.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Pictures. Because tons of kid around here have them too :rotfl:

On the subject of the "bromobiles" mentioned by Envoy_04, I see a lot of WV-tag lifts that have no tires to match. Like it's up in the air on dinky little tires, or tires that look appropriate height-wise but width is still stock-thin. Someone told me there's a law where wheels can't protrude beyond the wheel well around here, I don't know if that's true or not.

I have a serious addiction to Monster, like I get very bad headaches if I do not have one. I broke the cycle for 3 months and we started doing some more reno work and with a couple Monsters I would just keep working to the point of stupid. Was running of 3-4 hours of sleep every night for 3 months straight. Up at 5, work by 6, off by 3, start working on the house and bed by 1-2am. Then all over again. I lost about 40 lbs from eating only 1 meal a day, but I got that stuff done and 2 weeks before it needed to be finished. THis was the same time they had giveaways for sending in tabs, I had enough for 2 backpacks, 2 hoodies, a t-shirt, some stickers and a keychain. I have not actually put any of the stickers on the truck, but they are on my laptop, and tablet case.

I have gotten a lot better on it and the headaches stay away, but I still drink one every couple of days.

The wheel well law is true here, however it is at officers discretion and since mine are almost flat with a straight edge I have not gotten a ticket. Even though the wake from my truck in the rain is like a jet ski.

Down here it is the punks with the Dodge rams with 12" of lift, 24" wheels and 32" MT tires. They look stupid and they refuse to off road with them. They might get them dirty.

Mesoholics

Apr 2, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I have gotten a lot better on it and the headaches stay away, but I still drink one every couple of days.

Down here it is the punks with the Dodge rams with 12" of lift, 24" wheels and 32" MT tires. They look stupid and they refuse to off road with them. They might get them dirty.

A lot of truth in all this, I had to detox myself off of coffee and energy drinks last year. Went cold turkey and I was sick as a dog for a month lol. As for the brodozers I am going to get a Jeep project this spring from a friend and the first thing I am going to get is the plate MALLR8TD then park next to the lifted trucks in the lots and snap photos. Maybe even show off my sweet flex on the curbs :rotfl:

My friend has a Dodge Ram with stacks but he uses it to tow every weekend. His is a purpose built tow rig with 12 forward gears and a whole bunch of other mods.

I love his truck and it does look a little ridiculous when its without the 35' car hauler behind it but to each his own.

View attachment 32960

Attachments

• 644270_10151772430681999_551218911_n.jpg
    644270_10151772430681999_551218911_n.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 47

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mesoholics said:
My friend has a Dodge Ram with stacks but he uses it to tow every weekend. His is a purpose built tow rig with 12 forward gears and a whole bunch of other mods.

I love his truck and it does look a little ridiculous when its without the 35' car hauler behind it but to each his own.

View attachment 20383

Partially forgiven, since he's got the 12v Cummins (solid as a rock) and actually does some hauling, and has a gearbox that'd seem like a semi's :thumbsup:

All the kids around here have to have stacks. "I GOTTA BLOW MUH SMOKE!" "GOTTA HAVE MUH DIESEL FOR TORQUEZ!" They never haul, they just ramrod them. Oh wow look at all that torque, it's a shame you keep redlining at 3500RPM so you're shifting every 2 seconds :rotfl:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Beware of dog is a good idea in most areas, especially those with a strong liberal bias justice system. Have heard stories of people being sued because they did not have the sign and their dog either bit or scared some one. To go with this I have a large no trespassing, violators may be shot.

Actually I've always heard the opposite!!! A Beware of Dog sign is an admission that you dog is vicious.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Looks like his Cummins has a nice leak going on underneath the truck :undecided:

Take a close look, it looks like three little streams coming from somewhere, traveling the backside of the front pumpkin, and hitting the ground. You're right. I hope it's just water coming off from an engine wash or something :rotfl:

And what's with that moron he parked next to? "ME HAVE BIG TRUCK, ME NEED FOUR PARK SPACE!" And I don't know if those are stock or not, but those trailer towing mirrors the truck on the right has are absolutely ugly.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Take a close look, it looks like three little streams coming from somewhere, traveling the backside of the front pumpkin, and hitting the ground. You're right. I hope it's just water coming off from an engine wash or something :rotfl:

And what's with that moron he parked next to? "ME HAVE BIG TRUCK, ME NEED FOUR PARK SPACE!" And I don't know if those are stock or not, but those trailer towing mirrors the truck on the right has are absolutely ugly.

Those mirrors are stock, they're just flipped up to the vertical towing position. That's another thing guys with big trucks do - leave their mirrors flipped when they're not towing cause they think they're driving a Peterbilt. :rolleyes:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
Those mirrors are stock, they're just flipped up to the vertical towing position. That's another thing guys with big trucks do - leave their mirrors flipped when they're not towing cause they think they're driving a Peterbilt. :rolleyes:

Peterbilts, etc. don't even have mirrors that stand out that far. Maybe it's a faux at making their trucks looking bigger, like how a cat poofs up to look all muscle-bound. Except with mirrors, it's like saying the kid with huge ears who gets called "Monkey" at school is tougher because of his condition.

Mesoholics

Apr 2, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Peterbilts, etc. don't even have mirrors that stand out that far. Maybe it's a faux at making their trucks looking bigger, like how a cat poofs up to look all muscle-bound. Except with mirrors, it's like saying the kid with huge ears who gets called "Monkey" at school is tougher because of his condition.

:biggrin: I can totally see that cat analogy, hilarious... and the water is AC condensation that's all. I doubt he'd let his truck or the car he tows with it leak anything that bad without doing something about it immediately :rotfl:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Peterbilts :rotfl:

Get a Mack or Volvo, although I am a little biased.

Or a Freightliner. Something about a car company using the Mars (which is also used as the male symbol) sounds too much like trying to artificially inflate the crotch area to me :rotfl:

Mesoholics said:
:biggrin: I can totally see that cat analogy, hilarious... and the water is AC condensation that's all. I doubt he'd let his truck or the car he tows with it leak anything that bad without doing something about it immediately :rotfl:

That's a lot of condensation but makes sense. Don't know about the 12V but the 318's A/C mounted top and center, so if any condensation formed it'd come right down the front. Interestingly, the idler pulley for a missing A/C pretty well marked out the alignment for a supercharger. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fiddlermatt

Members Online