Official post whore thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
dmanns67 said:
Yeah man I know what you mean. It took me a while to get my side mirror covers perfect.

Auto Zone and Advanced Auto both sell adhesion promoter.
I'm gonna re-do both wiper arms tomorrow with primer first. I'm used to not using primer because the majority of my painting has been done on parts that aren't smooth to begin with.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I used it on my front grille and mirror covers. I used plasti dip one my rear bumper step pad, wiper cowl, and wiper arms. No primer needed, just cleaned the surface with some rubbing alcohol.

If the plasti dip does not hold up through the winter, next Spring I am going to use some gloss black paint with a thick clear coat.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
dmanns67 said:
I used it on my front grille and mirror covers. I used plasti dip one my rear bumper step pad, wiper cowl, and wiper arms. No primer needed, just cleaned the surface with some rubbing alcohol.

If the plasti dip does not hold up through the winter, next Spring I am going to use some gloss black paint with a thick clear coat.
I stopped using Plastidip on a lot of parts a while ago, doesn't hold up well on small pieces that are touched daily, like door handles and etc. I used to have my interior door panels dipped, but that it failed to hold up, so then I just painted it, but now the paint is discolored in various spots from being touched with dirty hands or chemicals. I'm about to say fuck it and buy black interior door panels for all four doors that way I never have to worry about scratches or random discolorations

Reactions: BlazingTrails

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Yeah I can imagine. I have a two tone interior. Everthing is black, but all of the pillar trim is a cream color. That shit is hard to keep clean.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The problem with using flat paint is that unless it is a two-part paint it doesn't hold up well to any handling. Oils from your fingers will give it a glossiness. If you paint it a satin and use a clear coat over it then it will handle it much better and maintain its appearance longer. You still need to sand it for best adhesion, this includes the promoter for plastics.

Reactions: Capote and dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Everything I have painted, other than using plasti dip, has involved sanding and clear coat.

I assumed Capote used clear coat on his interior pieces. That might explain why they are not holding up.

Reactions: djthumper

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
djthumper said:
The problem with using flat paint is that unless it is a two-part paint it doesn't hold up well to any handling. Oils from your fingers will give it a glossiness. If you paint it a satin and use a clear coat over it then it will handle it much better and maintain its appearance longer. You still need to sand it for best adhesion, this includes the promoter for plastics.
dmanns67 said:
Everything I have painted, other than using plasti dip, has involved sanding and clear coat.

I assumed Capote used clear coat on his interior pieces. That might explain why they are not holding up.

The glossiness didn't come from my fingers, after a certain ammount of layers it took on a glossy look, but overall gloss black on the small dash pieces would look better so taking that route now. All the large interior pieces like the pillars, and cargo area will remain flat black. The center console will be flat black too. The cargo area has held up extremely well without any sort of clearcoat, i'm sure a lot of stuff has hit the back door and not a single scratch as of yet i'm glad to inform.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Capote said:
The glossiness didn't come from my fingers, after a certain ammount of layers it took on a glossy look, but overall gloss black on the small dash pieces would look better so taking that route now. All the large interior pieces like the pillars, and cargo area will remain flat black. The center console will be flat black too. The cargo area has held up extremely well without any sort of clearcoat, i'm sure a lot of stuff has hit the back door and not a single scratch as of yet i'm glad to inform.
Likely not allowing it to dry enough between coats or the paint is not mixed enough... I use to see this with new guys in the shop when they put too much thinner into the paint and trying to put too thick of a coat on too fast.

Reactions: Capote and dmanns67

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
djthumper said:
Likely not allowing it to dry enough between coats or the paint is not mixed enough... I use to see this with new guys in the shop when they put too much thinner into the paint and trying to put too thick of a coat on too fast.
The humidity was the factor I didn't consider today, my usual dry time didn't work out this time between coats, I believe that's why today I havn't achieved desired results

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey Cap'n

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Chevrolet!!!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Capote said:
The humidity was the factor I didn't consider today, my usual dry time didn't work out this time between coats, I believe that's why today I havn't achieved desired results
I painted in the Florida humidity numerous times.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Humid!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bingo

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Tango

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bazinga

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Right on

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Playsinsnow said:
You'll be the one hearing it. If it sounds clean go for it. I like Dmanns fabricated setup for a single sub.

What is your goal with the subs?
Make my car shake. :yes:

LOL no..most of my friends have subs and I like the sound. I listen to bass-y music (pop & rap) so, I like bass. One of my friends in particular has 2 12's and a 17 in his eclipse. Needless to say...that's way too much bass.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
You can't talk to these old ass ladies like that.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hookers

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sluts

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
r1894 said:
Or the muffler pipe right after highway crusin' to see if it's going to fall off. :crazy:
:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online