Official post whore thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Mounce said:
That's just the bulbs right? If it's bulbs and ballasts, sign me up lol.
Just ballasts from what I understood

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I understood that they're coming out with new ballasts and that the bulbs cost $50 a pair. If ballasts, I'll highly consider getting them, if bulbs, there's a chance I might get them. If it's the complete set, I'll definitely get them.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Leds....mod bug is drooling...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414034738810.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1414034738810.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah I know lol that's why I'm asking what costs $50. Crossing my fingers for the whole kit even though it's very outlandish considering their current sets cost $160 IIRC

-directed towards Brandon

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like my 5000k

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
I started with kensun hid kits and still stand by them they are good with a two year warranty and any issue ive had they sent my a new ballast one time and an entire kit another time that I gave two matt and ive bought seven kits from them all are still working the original ballasts are running my Morimoto bulbs in my quads

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bright

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Lightbulb

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
[emoji489]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Picture

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
Lol that should be your profile pic
No man, Batman is more like it

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
That's just the bulbs right? If it's bulbs and ballasts, sign me up lol.
Morimoto is not cheap compared to ebay, ddm, vvme HID kits. Morimoto complete HID kits sell for $150. I assume the ballasts are $100 for the pair.

Their old style 3Five HID bulbs sold for $45, XB35 HID bulbs go for $50. TRS did a lumen comparison on HIDPlanet.com. Basically the Osram CBI HIDs are top of the line OE HID bulb, but they sell for $190 for two HID bulbs. The ouput of the XB35 HIDs are very comparable for 1/4 the cost.

Plus TRS has the best customer service. HID equipment comes with a five year warranty. Just email or call them with your issues you will have the replacement part in the mail the next day.l, no questions asked.
HARDTRAILZ said:
I like my 5000k
Nothing wrong with 5k, just a couple hundred less lumens than 4300k. Plus as the electrodes wear down within the HID bulb, they will begin to color shift towards the higher end of the kelvin scale.
Aarkon said:
I started with kensun hid kits and still stand by them they are good with a two year warranty and any issue ive had they sent my a new ballast one time and an entire kit another time that I gave two matt and ive bought seven kits from them all are still working the original ballasts are running my Morimoto bulbs in my quads
I currently have a Kensun HID kit installed in the wife's F150 for over a year now and no issues. Not bad for $80 HID kit. If/when they fail, I will be getting a Morimoto HID kit unless Crees are an option by then.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
r1894 said:
I never liked Walmart for my auto parts....it just doesn't feel right buying auto stuff from them. But, to each his own... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just looking at what they have for LEDs and thats about it...mostly for the Blazer...i will prob follow what everyone else did for theirs for the Trailblazer and the Impala if we get it..

dmanns67 said:
Morimoto is not cheap compared to ebay, ddm, vvme HID kits. Morimoto complete HID kits sell for $150. I assume the ballasts are $100 for the pair.

Their old style 3Five HID bulbs sold for $45, XB35 HID bulbs go for $50. TRS did a lumen comparison on HIDPlanet.com. Basically the Osram CBI HIDs are top of the line OE HID bulb, but they sell for $190 for two HID bulbs. The ouput of the XB35 HIDs are very comparable for 1/4 the cost.

Plus TRS has the best customer service. HID equipment comes with a five year warranty. Just email or call them with your issues you will have the replacement part in the mail the next day.l, no questions asked.
Nothing wrong with 5k, just a couple hundred less lumens than 4300k. Plus as the electrodes wear down within the HID bulb, they will begin to color shift towards the higher end of the kelvin scale.
I currently have a Kensun HID kit installed in the wife's F150 for over a year now and no issues. Not bad for $80 HID kit. If/when they fail, I will be getting a Morimoto HID kit unless Crees are an option by then.
I do believe i need to look at TRS again...Im thinking that i will run my Crees in the low beams of the TB and look at the Morimotos for the high beams.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
Okay, I understand now. They're coming out with new bulbs, not a whole new kit.
Actually it is a brand new kit. They are selling Morimoto 3Five HID bulbs and 3Five ballasts.

Starting November 1st they will be selling XB35 Ballasts. XB35 HID bulbs are already available.

The XB35 bulbs are a lot brighter than the 3Five bulbs. Also they showed testing of the XB35 ballasts and they look indestructible.

They soaked the ballasts in water, froze the ballasts in water, heated them up, dropped them, beat on them and they still fire the HID with no iasue.

Basically, when the XB35 kits hit the shelves they will stop selling the 3Five kits.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
I do believe i need to look at TRS again...Im thinking that i will run my Crees in the low beams of the TB and look at the Morimotos for the high beams.
Actually it would be better to run Crees in the hi beam and HIDs in the low since the Crees are instant on. HIDs will have warm up time before they are to full brightness.

HIDs do not like to be turned on and off or flashed which is another reason why Crees is a good option for the hi beams which is why I went that route.

The locking tabs on the Crees are the same for 9005 and 9006. You can use your same Crees for either the low beams or hi beams.

If you look at the stock halogen bulbs, the locking tabs are the same. The only difference is that on the 9006 stock halogen there is one slot running inside of the connector, the 9005 has two slots. I assume this was to prevent people from putting 9005 bulbs in for their low beams.

I say swap your Crees to the high beam and pick up a 9006 HID kit for the lows.

Reactions: Mounce

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Is this an HID thread or is this a whore thread?

WHORES!
That's all for now.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
Gotcha, I saw the XB35 bulbs then couldn't find corresponding ballasts, that threw me off lol.
You can still run the XB35 HID bulbs on 3Five ballasts. I think I will start with the XB35 HID bulbs before forking out the money for the ballasts.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Actually it would be better to run Crees in the hi beam and HIDs in the low since the Crees are instant on. HIDs will have warm up time before they are to full brightness.

HIDs do not like to be turned on and off or flashed which is another reason why Crees is a good option for the hi beams which is why I went that route.

The locking tabs on the Crees are the same for 9005 and 9006. You can use your same Crees for either the low beams or hi beams.

If you look at the stock halogen bulbs, the locking tabs are the same. The only difference is that on the 9006 stock halogen there is one slot running inside of the connector, the 9005 has two slots. I assume this was to prevent people from putting 9005 bulbs in for their low beams.

I say swap your Crees to the high beam and pick up a 9006 HID kit for the lows.
Nice! did not realize that was the case! So due to that knowledge i will probably do just that!

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
dmanns67 said:
You can still run the XB35 HID bulbs on 3Five ballasts. I think I will start with the XB35 HID bulbs before forking out the money for the ballasts.
That's the only part I understood about the new products lol
Darkrider_LS said:
Nice! did not realize that was the case! So due to that knowledge i will probably do just that!
:popcorn: :yes:

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
That's the only part I understood about the new products lol
:popcorn: :yes:
Other than the durability of the XB ballasts, I do not think there is much difference between them and the 3Five. HID bulbs makes the difference.

Its not like we are talking about OEM ballasts (Lexus, Acura, Toyota, etc). Then your talking $200 plus just for ballasts.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah I've seen the prices of OEM ballasts, it's crazy along with the price of OEM bulbs. Idk what's up, I've just been halfway confused all night and not understanding things right (as we've all noticed lol), one of those days I guess.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
Yeah I've seen the prices of OEM ballasts, it's crazy along with the price of OEM bulbs. Idk what's up, I've just been halfway confused all night and not understanding things right (as we've all noticed lol), one of those days I guess.
Its happens.

Yeah OEM is expensive. You can easily spend almost $1000 for OEM projectors, ballasts, HIDs, etc.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Well i just talked to my supplier and it looks like the new ballasts are still aways off...so i may just go with the Morimotos in low beam like David suggested and see where we stand on them when i can afford to get a projector retrofitted set from smitty in the spring.

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
My personal opinion, but the best setup, if your not going with a retro, is 9006 HID kit and 9005 Crees with the diode mod for quad beams or 6 hi if you have fogs.

You will be really impressed with the Crees in the hi beams. Nothing in the reflector housing to block any of the light.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
My personal opinion, but the best setup, if your not going with a retro, is 9006 HID kit and 9005 Crees with the diode mod for quad beams or 6 hi if you have fogs.

You will be really impressed with the Crees in the hi beams. Nothing in the reflector housing to block any of the light.
I will def need to try this out for sure! And as mentioned before i can move the Crees to the Highs on the Retro when i do get that upgrade.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
I will def need to try this out for sure! And as mentioned before i can move the Crees to the Highs on the Retro when i do get that upgrade.
Yes sir. So in interest of saving money, I would buy a 9006 HID kit for the time being. I have not installed the Crees on the low beams, but I would say it performs the best in the hi beam housing.

Either way, retro or not, you get to keep the Crees. No need to waste $80.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Yes sir. So in interest of saving money, I would buy a 9006 HID kit for the time being. I have not installed the Crees on the low beams, but I would say it performs the best in the hi beam housing.

Either way, retro or not, you get to keep the Crees. No need to waste $80.
Yea exactly...Just waiting to hear back from kevin about receiving the defective driver i sent back about two weeks ago or so now lol...and update for you Garth if you are still around...There may be light at the end of the tunnel on the Vendor situation...

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
What happened with your driver?
Not sure..it went out less then a week after i installed the kit

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
Not sure..it went out less then a week after i installed the kit
Strange. Did you do the DRL killer or the cap mod I sent you?

I am hoping I do not have issues with my drivers or Crees since I only use them about 10min a day on my drive home from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djanisse

Members Online