My new to me 2006 9-7x 5.3 rebuild

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I will admit if this had been a earlier engine (LT for example), this repair would have been simpler,
Actually you wouldn't have needed to do this repair at all. Damn crap DOD!

So now just the wait for the PCM/TCM. You will notice a difference. It really woke mine up. You did request that the fan codes also be turned off in case you need to replace it with a thermal?

Reactions: TollKeeper

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I did not! I will PM him to add it to the list..

This is what I put on the sheet..

Desired Configuration
ParameterConfiguration
Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS)Disable
Torque ManagementOff
Evaporative Emissions SystemEnable
AIR PumpEnable
Fan Turn on Temperature220 °F
Speed Limiter255 MPH
Final Drive Ratio3.73
Tire Size255/55/18
List Other Changes Here
Disable VATS, Increase Trans Line Pressure, Disable PWM, Disable DOD/AFM, Leave Stock Tire Size, Stock Gearing Size, Please call with other options I should consider..

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Oh this waiting SUCKS!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
:quiverlips:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you get it back yet 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Jeremy has very fast turnaround. It's the shipping that's like the Pony Express these days.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@limequat got it this morning, and sent it back out around noon... Figure monday-tuesday before I can lay my hands on it...

Freakin USPS takes FOREVER!

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So working on this driver's power seat. The seat motor works, the left track moves, the right side moves maybe 1/16 of an inch, than stops. As far as I can tell, nothing is in the track, but I can't tell for sure, and it didn't look like it can be taken apart easily.

Ideas?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Didn't you grab one from the PnP? That would be the easiest no?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
New motor is in, doing the same thing

• Wow
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Weird. Wiring or fuses? I'd be operating it unbolted and checking power to motors.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
??

Motor works, it's like the track is binding on the right side.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Is the cable that drives the screw on that side foobar? That's what happened to the escalade. You could put the wire in the drill and manually move the track.

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I grabbed the cable from the donor vehicle as well. I will have to try the drill thing when I work on it next...

I got a sneaky suspicion I am going to be replacing the seat track.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I tore into the driver's seat last night, the transmission for the inside rail is bad. Have to replace the entire seat frame to fix it. It is not a serviceable part. Grrrr!

Previous owner had that motor unplugged. Now I know why!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Seat frame replaced, seat works!

Drivers door window replaced.

Not doing to check the navigation, or install it, until I have the below.....

No PCM/TCM delivery :sadcry:

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
I work in a factory that makes parts for Honda automobile seats. Most people have no idea how many different parts are in a modern seat!

• Wow
Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Updated first post to include a updated, and updating, cost sheet.

Got a bit more info on the Saab this morning..

VIN 5S3ET13M462800647
Bought, and lived its entire life in Colorado. (RUST FREE BABY!)
Bought 11/11/2005 At Mike Shaw Chevrolet Saab (now a Subaru dealer)
Serviced religiously at either Mike Shaw Chevy/Saab or John Elway Chevy until 3/20/2014 79,417 mi
Alignment performed every other oil change
Rotation performed every oil change
Tires replaced every 15-16k miles
Serviced every 3-5k miles since at various fast lube places.
56 Service Records in total reported.
Last oil change prior to my ownership is 11/19/2021 at 158,655 at Take 5 Oil Change, Arvada, CO
One recorded road trip, Vehicle serviced at Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Fort Lauderdale, FL 7/29/2018 at 118,787mi
Bought by me 4/4/22 at 160,911 miles
Current miles 4/25/22 is 160,918 miles

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Computers came back today..

Installing them tonight, and it goes into service tomorrow!

For at least a month (maybe full time). I wont give a unknown to the wife to drive.

But I can say, the wife does not like the truck. She has short legs, and the seat digs into the back of her calves, as her knee is 4-6 inchs back on the seat cushion. She also doesnt like that it doesnt have HUD.

I may keep it still, as a full time truck, depending on what I see over the next month, and the Envoy goes to back up duty.

She would like a Mazda CX5 or CX9 or a Buick Envision. I dont like the Envision, as the seats are not set up for my fat ass! Dont mind the Mazda, other than they are Japanese, and because of that, are over priced!

I know I could sell it for more than I paid for it! I just have a hard time parting ways with the Voy. Its a very useful truck, and has been reliable as a wind up grandfather clock.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Computers are put in.

Threw a check engine light almost immediately, 5-10 minutes. Lean code Bank 1&2. Opened the hood and heard a distinct vacuum leak. The brake booster sensor was not seated right or something. Twisted it, pushed and pulled, and it finally stopped leaking

Cleared the codes, and 40 mile test drive compete. No problems so far.

Gotta see if I can find that rubber bung, or whatever it's called, for the brake booster sensor.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Also installed the navigation unit, it works and had a navigation disc in it.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think you would need 179-1266 for the brake booster. not 100 percent certain though.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Computers came back today..

Installing them tonight, and it goes into service tomorrow!

For at least a month (maybe full time). I wont give a unknown to the wife to drive.

But I can say, the wife does not like the truck. She has short legs, and the seat digs into the back of her calves, as her knee is 4-6 inchs back on the seat cushion. She also doesnt like that it doesnt have HUD.

I may keep it still, as a full time truck, depending on what I see over the next month, and the Envoy goes to back up duty.

She would like a Mazda CX5 or CX9 or a Buick Envision. I dont like the Envision, as the seats are not set up for my fat ass! Dont mind the Mazda, other than they are Japanese, and because of that, are over priced!

I know I could sell it for more than I paid for it! I just have a hard time parting ways with the Voy. Its a very useful truck, and has been reliable as a wind up grandfather clock.
My wife has a CX5, she loves it, I don't like it. Some of the safety options on the thing are good, lane assist simply sucks. The way it works is to vibrate the steering wheel and flash the heads up display when it senses the car is too close to the white line. Going through a construction zone makes it go nuts, really annoying.
Not thrilled about the heads up display, sometimes at night while turning, It seems there's something crossing in front of me.
And don't get me started on changing the radio stations.
It does have plenty of power (4cyl. turbo), and the trans shifts buttery smooth.
For my wife, it's great. For me, sometimes after driving it, I jump in the TB and revel in the fact you can drive without the bells and whistles.
She got it in October and we drove to Salem, MA. for Halloween.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think you would need 179-1266 for the brake booster. not 100 percent certain though.
Thats the brake booster check valve, and grommet. This is on the other side of the brake booster.. It might be the same grommet, but I dont know.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't find it in online microfiches. Maybe grab one from a junker.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thats the brake booster check valve, and grommet. This is on the other side of the brake booster.. It might be the same grommet, but I dont know.
My bad, forgot you were talking about the AFM sensor thing. Just plug it lol.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont know if that will throw a check engine light.. It did last time.

Drove it to work today. Truck did great.. Needs brakes... BADLY in the front

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I dont know if that will throw a check engine light.. It did last time.
It still will throw a code even though that sensor is just for the AFM. Same for a low oil pressure. Not low enough for the actual low pressure but low enough for AFM to not be able to work. Mine threw that code when I had the wrong oil pump in it and would get low-ish when the oil got old. It was an oil pressure sensor performance code. Not a bad idea to have that code still working.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Corrected post below...

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Front rotor seems to be correct but RA isn't giving which vehicles it fits. I would go with the SS rotor ACDELCO 18A2457 just for the extra beef.

Pads are correct according to RA, front and rear.

ACDelco numbers have been getting hard to cross reference lately. Maybe they're switching over to something else. As best as I cold tell, their brake parts are/have been Raybestos.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Depends on the vehicle, Raybestos or akebono. My colorado is very clearly an akebono setup at least for the OE parts. :biggrin:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, I have those parts in my virtual cart. Gonna test drive it until Saturday. If it passes emissions, then I will order the parts.. If it doesnt..........................

@Mooseman - I cant say the tune "woke it up", but it certainly changed it. The shifts from 1 to 2, when at full throttle, it punchs you in the back, firm and solid. Extremely different feel.

My fuel mileage driving the 9-7x, while driving it more aggressively than I was in my Envoy, is getting better "calculated" (displayed) fuel mileage.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You didn't have a chance to drive it much without the tune so you really can't compare. Before I blew it up, I put in a spare PCM/TCM with the stock tune while trying to diagnose something and reminded me how much of a slug it was before.

Looks like your Saab is coming along nicely.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Brakes done... Bendix Premium Copper Free pads all the way around, and ACDelco rotors all the way around.

Back brakes were absolutely smoked. Pads and rotors were factory original! Factory lock-tite was a bitch! The pads fell apart as soon as I took them out of the bracket.

Fronts were meh.. had a steering wheel vibration, so they were getting replaced either way.

Calipers compressed perfectly, although I had to coax the dust boots to go into the caliper.

Emission test in the morning.. wish me luck!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
And she passed emissions!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
On my way home from emissions, I stopped by the dealer where I bought the truck from. I found some personal items while cleaning the truck and was trying to get the prior owners contact info. Dealer wasn't going to give it up. It was a social security card, so I guess it gets shredded.

The dealer offered me 4000 for the truck! It's graduation season, and finding vehicles that he can sell for a 6000 or less price point is difficult. I'm just going to keep that in my back pocket for the time being.

Back to driving the Envoy for the time being. At least until I get the Saab plated and titled.

Put my favorite CD in the CD player, Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason, and listened to it on the way home from emissions. Hit the eject button when I got home .. CD ERROR. Eject doesn't work. Fuck!

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online