Members projector retrofits

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
Oh OK, I was about to say... "Where's my
ban.gif
hammer when I need it?" :tongue:

Well if you did the cap mod, your low beams should read 12V (14.4v) or zero. Something is wrong somewhere if it's showing some voltage in between.

I would think having 9V would be enough to trigger the relays all the time as necessary, and then the hot wire to the battery would power the ballasts. But if the relays aren't activating, I'd say take them out and test them manually to make sure they haven't been damaged. Shouldn't take much current, and I think most relays will kick on after seeing only 50-60% of what they are rated to run at.

But yeah, getting only 9V in DRL mode isn't right. Should be running at normal operating voltage.
I'm seeing the 9 volts with the key out, ignition off and headlight switch off. That's what I don't understand.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Disconnect your capacitor mod, and see if the voltage drops. If it does, there's a problem with the way your mod is connected.

Reactions: NateDG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It shouldn't. Unplug the connectors on the back to confirm. I would start in your front fuse block, check voltage readings at the fuses, pull the relay, and check for voltage at the relay sockets. You just have to systematically back trace the system. (no guessing :nono:)

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
It shouldn't. Unplug the connectors on the back to confirm. I would start in your front fuse block, check voltage readings at the fuses, pull the relay, and check for voltage at the relay sockets. You just have to systematically back trace the system. (no guessing :nono:)
Same 9 (ish) volts at the fuse n can't get in the holes for the relay to check that but check this out...
Pull the relay and voltage at pigtail goes away. Tried a bad relay from a friend's truck that's been riding around with me and no change. Swapped the fan relay over to headlight position and voltage on pigtail jumps to 11 with switch / ignition off. Turn switch on increases voltage to 12-something in all instances.

EDIT: 12.53 at the HDM fuse behind the relays.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Somewhere upstream of the trigger line to the low beam relay is shorted to a hot line. It's a bit of a pain to pull the fuse block, but there's a possibility of broken traces.

You can try disconnecting other things upstream of the relay. BCM and headlight switch controller.

Reactions: xavierny25

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
Somewhere upstream of the trigger line to the low beam relay is shorted to a hot line. It's a bit of a pain to pull the fuse block, but there's a possibility of broken traces.

You can try disconnecting other things upstream of the relay. BCM and headlight switch controller.
Just to ease my mind: if the BCM were bad, it wouldn't command auto lights off would it? That functionality is still good and so is the auto-on with the light sensor.

EDIT: Went to the local U-pull yard n got both relays (HDM n fan clutch) for 5 bucks (instead of paying 36 for new ones) and the problem is gone. Hope this helps someone else along the way.

Last edited:

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Round 2. Finally had some time and nice weather to work on my fog lights. After some more dremeling, adjusting the projector angle, and test fitting on the TB about 10 times, the fogs are finally sealed up.

View attachment 76577

:dance: Those shrouds look so much better than the current ones for those projectors. Looks clean. Nice work.

Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well Done. Those look sweet

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:dance: Those shrouds look so much better than the current ones for those projectors. Looks clean. Nice work.

I agree. No idea why Mori went away from the initial design of the shroud other than the new design is slightly smaller and more flexible. I had to do a lot more trimming on this shroud compared to the new style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sib

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Round 2. Finally had some time and nice weather to work on my fog lights. After some more dremeling, adjusting the projector angle, and test fitting on the TB about 10 times, the fogs are finally sealed up.

View attachment 76577

Now that the Matchbox 2.0s are finally back on the truck, figured it was time for some output shots. I do not have the driveway length that I use to have, so the pics are somewhat close to the garage door. Both headlights are covered so that the only light seen in both pics is from the fog lights.

Fog light low beam.

IMG_20160620_005007004.jpg

Fog light high beam for a true 6 hi mod :yes:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I never really thought 4300k HIDs were that yellow when new. My 4300k fog light HIDs only a few hours on them and my 4300k headlight HIDs have a few hundred hours on them. You can definitely see the color shift. Headlights look around 5000k now.

Still have not gotten use to seeing double cutoffs while driving though, but the extra light shining down the road is awesome. These fogs are way more functional than OE.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

GeoGoGo

Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hey Guys,

I am not satisfied with the lights on my 07 TB. I have restored the lenses but they didn't come out anywhere near as good as I hoped. I also have the 6hi mod.

I have always longed for HIDs but I do not have the skill to do a retrofit. Are any of the aftermarket headlight assemblies such as Spec D with HID projectors? I like the look of the aftermarket assemblies as I feel they really freshen up the look of the truck.

I have seen way too many cars with HIDs just installed into halogen reflectors and the glare is horrible. Is there anywhere I can get already retrofit assemblies? Does anyone even make such a thing or is it strictly DIY?

I have trouble getting a straight answer to this question for some reason. I was hoping to get some good insight, information, suggestions, or ideas about this. Thank you all very much for your time and have a great day!

Respectfully,
George D.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can buy the Spec D models on Ebay, but I think there are some halogen models too. So you'd have to confirm with the seller.

I know one of our members has a retrofitted set that he never installed. Try shooting a PM to @saze he sold both his TBs before his retrofit was finished being built :duh:

GeoGoGo

Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
You can buy the Spec D models on Ebay, but I think there are some halogen models too. So you'd have to confirm with the seller.

I know one of our members has a retrofitted set that he never installed. Try shooting a PM to @saze he sold both his TBs before his retrofit was finished being built :duh:

Thank you, Black! I will reach out to him!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Thank you, Black! I will reach out to him!

All of the aftermarket projector headlights on EBay/Amazon for the TB use halogen projectors. Output is much worse when you install a HID into the halogen projector. The HID bulb itself causes shadows/dark spots because the reflector bowl of the projector is designed for a halogen bulb.

@HARDTRAILZ actually has some comparison shots in one of his threads showing the degraded output of a HID in a halogen projector.

However, TRS has made a Quik-Retro kit for aftermarket Spec-D and Spyder projector headlights. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...to-retro-quik-system-spec-d.html#.V7TdZvkrLIU Kit is $50 for the HID projectors and mounting hardware. You will still need to buy a HID kit though. They use a H1 HID just like the halogen projectors.

The kit allows you to swap out the halogen projectors for legit HID projectors. The kit is pretty much PnP, you will just need to remove the lens from the headlight.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

GeoGoGo

Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
That is awesome, dmanns! Has anyone here used them? I would love to get some feedback about them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I should try the kit in the Spec-D, but still just dont feel comfy opening headlights personally

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I should try the kit in the Spec-D

:yes: you should...

just dont feel comfy opening headlights

:no: you shouldn't. You're one of the most capable members around here. I'm sure once you dove in and tried it, it would seem about a big of a deal as when you dunk yourself in the pool cuz the waters cold, and then you're fine after a minute. :raspberry:

Grab a broken headlight from a junk yard to play with :twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have 4.5 sets of lights currently. No need for a yard :wink:

i dont mind swapping styeering or suspension stuff in the dirt, but just not a fan of baking and cutting lights--but honestly it is getting them aligned that makes me more nervous

One of these days i will try it. Maybe a winter project

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have 4.5 sets of lights currently. No need for a yard :wink:

i dont mind swapping styeering or suspension stuff in the dirt, but just not a fan of baking and cutting lights--but honestly it is getting them aligned that makes me more nervous

One of these days i will try it. Maybe a winter project
Stick em on the truck with the lens off, tighten the nut snug rotate until straight, wrench her down and bake lenses back on. If they're a little off there is a little room to wiggle then once tight. Unless you go away from the mini or d2s. Then it's a bit more tricky.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: if you go with projectors with the threaded shaft, alignment is easy unless you try to overdo it with quads. Vertical adjustment is handled by the stock adjusters, all you gotta do is rotate em to match. Easy peasy.

And if you have 4 pairs of headlights, you really got no excuse you headlight whore!! :poke: :raspberry:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know I know. I got 2 pair of stock and another of chrome halo things and the depo ones in truck. I have a 09 single light as well. And the more I think i may have another set of stock that needs some polish.

I may have got extra set from Sparky as well when I bought truck cause I know i got the LED tails for spares when I did.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You did. The driver side lens is yellowed though. Good one to experiment and practice with.

Depo you can bake open as they use Butyl. Some other brands are permasealed just like OEM though and need cut open.

yazan

Jul 11, 2013
hi , very interesting
i done mini h1 retro in 2012
my new project

uploadfromtaptalk1362211817401.jpg
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=99685

then upgraded it to rx350 bi-x , its better output but harder to retro
my current retro is rx350 + hella + trs 5500k @ 35watt

and i did the leveling motor retro , it was easy some parts from the salvage /junk yards and easy installing , you can control the level of the headlights from the dash ,

Attachments

• 20121205_190517.jpg
    20121205_190517.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
i did the leveling motor retro , it was easy some parts from the salvage /junk yards and easy installing , you can control the level of the headlights from the dash

Details on this please. You've been around long enough between both sites to know...

no-pics.gif

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I want to see that!

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That cutoff though. Never gets old.
20160830_200723-1280x963.png

Reactions: xavierny25

aaronbtb

May 16, 2015
Finally finished my quad projector retrofit, started in December and slowly worked on it. I still got to do some wiring, I'm gonna add a separate fuse/relay box for the headlights, fogs, halos and light bar. So no night time driving shots just yet. This was a huge pain in the ass to build and one of the most frustrating retrofit I have ever done. But I think it was worth it, it looks great.
List of items:
Morimoto FX-R 3.0 2.5" (Outer)
Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 (Inner)
Morimoto 5500K bulbs (4)
Morimoto 35 Watt ballasts (4)
Morimoto XSB Led Switchbacks
Iris Shrouds
Main signal light led strip is from my older headlights (ebay junk)

drivers.jpg frontamber.jpg frontoff.jpg passenger.jpg

GeoGoGo

Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Those look absolutely fantastic! What is that gray piece between the headlights and the front directional?

aaronbtb

May 16, 2015
I have a LT, so it doesn't have the grille that goes thru the headlights. There is no aftermarket headlights for the LT, non at all. So I used a regular trailblazer headlight and cut up a grille to fill the gap.

Reactions: NateDG

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Finally finished my quad projector retrofit, started in December and slowly worked on it. I still got to do some wiring, I'm gonna add a separate fuse/relay box for the headlights, fogs, halos and light bar. So no night time driving shots just yet. This was a huge pain in the ass to build and one of the most frustrating retrofit I have ever done. But I think it was worth it, it looks great.
List of items:
Morimoto FX-R 3.0 2.5" (Outer)
Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 (Inner)
Morimoto 5500K bulbs (4)
Morimoto 35 Watt ballasts (4)
Morimoto XSB Led Switchbacks
Iris Shrouds
Main signal light led strip is from my older headlights (ebay junk)
I am in no way a fan of Chrome everywhere, but Aaron, you pulled off Chrome add-on's well. Retro looks fantastic brother. Kudos :Lager Louts:

Reactions: aaronbtb

aaronbtb

May 16, 2015
I was thinking about painting them black, but I'm already to invested in the chrome. So I'm stuck with it.
My old headlights I retrofitted two years ago with a mini h1 6.0 is chrome but it's not in perfect condition anymore. I'm thinking about painting them black and trying to sell them.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I was thinking about painting them black, but I'm already to invested in the chrome. So I'm stuck with it.
My old headlights I retrofitted two years ago with a mini h1 6.0 is chrome but it's not in perfect condition anymore. I'm thinking about painting them black and trying to sell them.
You'd for sure get a buyer if you do sell your previous Retro.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Hey guys. Instead of buying a whole new kit for my retro, can I just take my HD 9006 relay harness >H1 with an adapter? Or do the H1's require different igniters and require the whole H1 kit? Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The relay harness and ballast are the same, only difference really is the bulb. And almost all aftermarket HID kits use the AMP connectors for the bulbs themselves anyway, only exception being if it was a D2S kit.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online