LED Mod Thread

JaySun

Feb 25, 2013
I'd love to join this thread and considering how good the red look on my new HU is I'm considering going with a kind of dark red to go along with my white/black exterior, anyone got any cheap places to grab some pre-wired? :wootwoot: Looking to do the a/c/heat controls first then move on to the cluster (it's hella dim atm)

This is the cheapest I've seen 50x for 8$ USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-x-Red-LE...270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e4c21ee

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Does anybody have the polarity maps for SWB headlight switch and the plainer looking front HVAC unit. Or have I completely missed them?

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
JaySun said:
I'd love to join this thread and considering how good the red look on my new HU is I'm considering going with a kind of dark red to go along with my white/black exterior, anyone got any cheap places to grab some pre-wired? :wootwoot: Looking to do the a/c/heat controls first then move on to the cluster (it's hella dim atm)

This is the cheapest I've seen 50x for 8$ USD
50 x Red LED Lamp Light Set 25cm Pre Wired 5mm 12V DC | eBay

Red is a hard color to do. It does not light up like the blue. I am quite happy with every thing but my cluster. I recommend the 3mm for inside the small buttons in the factory radio:smile:duh:you got a new headunit). As for the cluster I am still playing trying to find the best answer. Anyhow what I got was 13000mcd 5mm strawhats. I liked soldering my own resistors, because I could do them in the length I wanted. I went with strawhat style because instead of a beam(20 degree) they are more of an all over light(140 degree beam). The ones you listed dont give a spec for brightness(mcd=microcandella). So I question how much light they put out. I went with 100 x 5mm StrawHat Red LED 12000 mcd LED Ships from NYC | eBay. I also got my resistors from them as well. I also ordered some 8mm ones Sunday Got them on Wednesday. I have got excellent service from them both in shipping and they will answer your questions quickly.

Conner299 said:
Does anybody have the polarity maps for SWB headlight switch and the plainer looking front HVAC unit. Or have I completely missed them?
I think Blckshdw has the headlight switch in the rest of his pic on page 2. As for the manual HVAC controller I have mine posted in the page 20 area.

So in my latest order I got some 8mm strawhats I want to play with and first results are pretty good. I got a sampler pack with 9 colors in it. So I just took a couple and hooked them up to a resistor for a 14.7v source them used a 9v battery just to get an idea of what they will look like. Now this is 1 led on a 9v it looks pretty good what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: CaptainKD

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
The SWB headlight switch has 5 lights, though. At least mine does. 2 led, and 3 with the blue gel cap type things over them. The LEDs I got to work, but not the other three. The 370 switch looked like it only had three. I could be wrong though. The manual HVAC unit has two different looking boards. One has a lot more connections than the other. A page or two back, there is a polarity map, but for the more complex looking board. I'm wondering if those two are the same.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I have the SWB and my switch is the same as the one picutred. I used that pic to do my LEDs. The 3 bulbs with covers are the backlighting and LEDs are to show function. I only replaced the 3 bulbs not the LEDs.
As for the Hvac controller the one that is mapped out is the one I have. Blckshdw said it is the same as his. The other is one I have laying around, and I have not mapped it yet( Maybe I will this weekend:undecided:). BTW I recommend you use white LEDs under the temp sliders.:thumbsup:

JaySun

Feb 25, 2013
mrphoenix80 said:
Red is a hard color to do. It does not light up like the blue. I am quite happy with every thing but my cluster. I recommend the 3mm for inside the small buttons in the factory radio:smile:duh:you got a new headunit). As for the cluster I am still playing trying to find the best answer. Anyhow what I got was 13000mcd 5mm strawhats. I liked soldering my own resistors, because I could do them in the length I wanted. I went with strawhat style because instead of a beam(20 degree) they are more of an all over light(140 degree beam). The ones you listed dont give a spec for brightness(mcd=microcandella). So I question how much light they put out. I went with 100 x 5mm StrawHat Red LED 12000 mcd LED Ships from NYC | eBay. I also got my resistors from them as well. I also ordered some 8mm ones Sunday Got them on Wednesday. I have got excellent service from them both in shipping and they will answer your questions quickly.

I think Blckshdw has the headlight switch in the rest of his pic on page 2. As for the manual HVAC controller I have mine posted in the page 20 area.

So in my latest order I got some 8mm strawhats I want to play with and first results are pretty good. I got a sampler pack with 9 colors in it. So I just took a couple and hooked them up to a resistor for a 14.7v source them used a 9v battery just to get an idea of what they will look like. Now this is 1 led on a 9v it looks pretty good what do you think?

Thanks for the recommendation, Ordered.

Looks good for green, didn't expect it to look that good might have to consider it (although then my interior will be xmas colors :rotfl:)

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Just remember the cluster is going to look very dim, or at least it does to me. I put in some LEDs from a mirror turn signal and they are ok, but I want more. So I tried some from a tacoma tail light(broken junk from bodyshop). They are not much better than the turn signal ones. So I got this last order in, and I want to play with those(60k mcd). I even got some led strips to use for footwell lights,but I got 5 meters of em. So I got extra to try that also.

As for the green it is a 100k mcd. So if you look at that and think about a 12k mcd is going to be.

JaySun

Feb 25, 2013
mrphoenix80 said:
Just remember the cluster is going to look very dim, or at least it does to me. I put in some LEDs from a mirror turn signal and they are ok, but I want more. So I tried some from a tacoma tail light(broken junk from bodyshop). They are not much better than the turn signal ones. So I got this last order in, and I want to play with those(60k mcd). I even got some led strips to use for footwell lights,but I got 5 meters of em. So I got extra to try that also.

As for the green it is a 100k mcd. So if you look at that and think about a 12k mcd is going to be.

I'm considering different colors for the cluster I'm just not sure yet, I was thinking maybe blue but I don't think it'd look good w/ the red in the interior. Anyone have any pics of their modded clusters I'd love to see them (and considering this is an led thread it'd be more than relevant )

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I like the red. If you look at the Pontiacs a lot of them used red. GMC uses red in the Terrain. That was the look I was going for. However Terrain uses white in the Tach and Speedo with red everywhere else.

No offence to any one but it looks like a lot of people run blue. I wanted to be different. So in this last order of LEDs I got red, blue, green,10000kelvin white(HID look), purple/uv, orange, warm white(yellowish), plain white and yellow. That way I can see the different colors first hand. Then I can decide what to do with my next project(my 93 s10 maybe green:undecided:).

Tried the LED strip idea last night and it was not bad. I stuck the strip to the "wall" inside the gauge face and not to the circuit board. I think I will post pics of the different options that way if I stumble on the best answer others can see it compaired to the other options.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
JaySun said:
I'm considering different colors for the cluster I'm just not sure yet, I was thinking maybe blue but I don't think it'd look good w/ the red in the interior. Anyone have any pics of their modded clusters I'd love to see them (and considering this is an led thread it'd be more than relevant )

Check the last few pics in post #6 for blue LEDs in the cluster.

mrphoenix80 said:
No offence to any one but it looks like a lot of people run blue. I wanted to be different. ...

:tongue: None taken. I think some of it may have to do with some of the gauge faces having a slight blue tint to them, so blue shines better than other colors, especially red. I got lucky, since it's my favorite color, works out nicely.

mrphoenix80 said:
Tried the LED strip idea last night and it was not bad. I stuck the strip to the "wall" inside the gauge face and not to the circuit board. I think I will post pics of the different options that way if I stumble on the best answer others can see it compaired to the other options.

I thought about trying the side firing LED strip method like that, mainly to get rid of the hot spots in the tach and speedo, so I'm interested to see how yours turned out. :yes:

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I used a top fireing strip. It is hard to get it to stick because of the different angles in the cluster.I might have to break it into pieces then wire the pieces together.
BTW the wedges while they do mess with the even flow of light capture the light and direct it to the pointers. With out them the pointers would be dark.
AND of course this is not my working cluster. It is the broken one my parts manager let me have. Along with the rest of my broken parts to play with. I think he has a motive for this. The other day he said "my wife's envoy has some lights out... Sooo when you get good.......":raspberry:

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 217

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Hey all, i just installed my int LED kit today and my LED reverse lights.

int kit... its not as bright as yours (Short Bus)!! LOL but plenty bright for now im happy. View attachment 26604

Stock reverse lights View attachment 26605

New LED reverse lights View attachment 26606 Ive got spider lights coming for my tails and 18 SMD Amber LEDs for my front turn signals!! Oh and licence plate LEDs on the way too!!:wootwoot:

Attachments

• Car 003.jpg
    Car 003.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Car 001.jpg
    Car 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Car 002.jpg
    Car 002.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 29

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:

when you put the switchbacks into your clear corners...did you have any clearance problems? o.O
I was just sanding down the edges to get a good fit (I'm sure you remember than pita :hissyfit:)
and it crossed my mind that the fit may be a little tight
I may have to make a new set, and space it out a bit more...

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:
when you put the switchbacks into your clear corners...did you have any clearance problems? o.O
I was just sanding down the edges to get a good fit (I'm sure you remember than pita :hissyfit:)
and it crossed my mind that the fit may be a little tight
I may have to make a new set, and space it out a bit more...

Nope, no clearance issues for me. My lenses sit pretty flush with the edges of the lens holders, and since I had the switchbacks in there before I made the change, I knew they would fit fine that way. Where do your lenses sit?

The sanding of the edges of the lenses wasn't too big of a deal, since I used my Dremel. As you can tell, I lack patience, so if I can avoid doing something by hand, I'm all over it :redface:

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
So I had some time to play with the LEDs I have. So lets start with what I had. I don't have the specs for them because these are the ones I took from a Silverado mirror turn signal.
In the light.
View attachment 26710
And in the dark.
View attachment 26711
So I added some smd strips. I removed the face from the holder to make access easier.
View attachment 26712
I got an big improvment.
View attachment 26713
View attachment 26714
But not quite what I want so I added more smd strips.
View attachment 26715
View attachment 26716
View attachment 26719
View attachment 26718
So I finally got a finished product I can live with
View attachment 26717
BTW I ditched my camera phone and used a camera with manual settings. That way you can compair the photos because I used the same settings for all the pictures

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0016.jpg
    DSCF0016.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 53

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:
They sit on the inside of the holders...i can already see I'm gonna be making a new pair...
Btw-i was wondering how metallic tape on the inaide of the holders would look...reflecting the light of the switchback n all? Just an idea

My bad, I meant to respond to your post, but got distracted by MrPhoenix80's cluster mod... :tongue:

I thought about putting yellow reflective tape behind the lens, so it was legal, but decided against it. I also toyed with putting some aluminum tape or something in the holder, but the angle of the bulb and the small beam angle didn't really shine at the right angle to make use of it. So I didn't bother. If the 194 switchback was a corn cob style, then it woulda been perfect though.

Showtyme

Nov 26, 2012
Had these for a couple weeks and just got around to taking pics. Reverse lights from Dfwwiz. Cree plus 12 smd = f-ing bright.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362963111514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362963111514.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362963132600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362963132600.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 32

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Showtyme said:
Had these for a couple weeks and just got around to taking pics. Reverse lights from Dfwwiz. Cree plus 12 smd = f-ing bright.

Thanks for the props! :thumbsup: Those are the same ones selling for $39/pair on Ebay that I sell for $15 less. I will have switchbacks like this for the front next week. No one has ever produced these. They will be white/amber Cree with 12 SMDs around the base and be white in parking mode but switch oof and over to amber when signaling-alternating.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Hey guys i just got my second set of spider lights for my rear turn signals... I have ordered switchbacks for the front drl's also...

Now i have 4 50w 6ohm resistors will these work? Also any wiring tips? Thanks!!

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
yodaddy4200 said:
Hey guys i just got my second set of spider lights for my rear turn signals... I have ordered switchbacks for the front drl's also...

Now i have 4 50w 6ohm resistors will these work? Also any wiring tips? Thanks!!

when using the the load resisters for the front switchbacks wire (by solder or tapping) one end to the blue wire in the turn signal connector and the other end to the black ground wire in the turn signal connector.

here is a quick diagram for the front (I do not have one for the back because I dont have rear leds)

View attachment 26755

I highly suggest that you SECURE THE RESISTER TO METAL it gets really hot and I had one melt the plastic it was touching before. I screwed mine into the metal right next to the headlight housing.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: Sib

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
ConeKilrAutoX said:
when using the the load resisters for the front switchbacks wire (by solder or tapping) one end to the blue wire in the turn signal connector and the other end to the black ground wire in the turn signal connector.

here is a quick diagram for the front (I do not have one for the back because I dont have rear leds)

View attachment 12839

I highly suggest that you SECURE THE RESISTER TO METAL it gets really hot and I had one melt the plastic it was touching before. I screwed mine into the metal right next to the headlight housing.

Damn, yea they look like they get hot lol. ok the front sounds doable... Iguess in the rear ill just use some 1/4in self tappers and mount em behind the tail light to the body?? idk?

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
ConeKilrAutoX said:

View attachment 12839

So i did all of this^ but im having some issues...

1st. I got it all hooked up... did my rear turn signal spider lights also. So all of the sudden the front passenger side wont signal just stays white and only the 194 bulb is signaling (Stock bulb) One of the resistor wires was kind of tight, added some wire and checked all the connections. Bam it works!! So im on my way home and the same thing happens to the driver side white and thats it. I just crashed out it was midnight had to work ect...

Get up this morning its still ding the same thing.. Go to work and everything works fine all day??? Then tonight bam same bs.

I obviously have a loose connect or something...:confused: any input would be great!! oh also cruise didnt work this morning but worked on the way home!! WTF!!!
ill take some pics when my kid goes to bed..

Now 5 mins later they work fine!! View attachment 26833

Attachments

• P1000791.jpg
    P1000791.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000792.jpg
    P1000792.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 25

jbacklund

Dec 16, 2012
Just started to install 36 SMD paneld for the dome lights. After I had installed 6 of them the fuse blow. Checked it for shorts and installed new 10 amp fuse. Blew instantly. Will I need a load resistor for this mod?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
yodaddy4200 said:
I obviously have a loose connect or something...:confused: any input would be great!! oh also cruise didnt work this morning but worked on the way home!! WTF!!!

Yeah, you have some loose connections alright. Since you checked your splice points for the load resistors, I would check the bulbs, made sure the contact pins are straight and making a good connection with the socket. I've seen on other people's trucks (as well as my own) with switchbacks, if the bulb isn't seated properly (sometimes they can wiggle a tad loose), you can lose one of the functions sporadically.

jbacklund said:
Just started to install 36 SMD paneld for the dome lights. After I had installed 6 of them the fuse blow. Checked it for shorts and installed new 10 amp fuse. Blew instantly. Will I need a load resistor for this mod?

You only need load resistors for lights that flash (turn signals) In your case, you have a short somewhere in your sockets. I'd take your LED panels out, and maybe install them 1 at a time, and test them to see which one is causing the short. Also, you want to have your dome over ride activated, cuz if you try installing them while power is running, that can cause fuses to blow on occasion. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, you have some loose connections alright. Since you checked your splice points for the load resistors, I would check the bulbs, made sure the contact pins are straight and making a good connection with the socket. I've seen on other people's trucks (as well as my own) with switchbacks, if the bulb isn't seated properly (sometimes they can wiggle a tad loose), you can lose one of the functions sporadically.

My buddy that helped me install was saying the same thing!! Thanks bro!! its raining right now or id be on it!

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Attachments

• 20ma-current-limiter-driver-leds.jpg
    20ma-current-limiter-driver-leds.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 149

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I was envisioning using them for the door panel switches. I see them as only being beneficial, since you don't have to worry about resistor placement or damage, while putting the switch back together.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you were originally planning to do a 1 to 1 resistor setup in the doors, then yeah, this would be a better idea. I pretty much did the same thing, but with a regular resistor. I'll be doing some LED arrays, which are not too too bad when you've got the same number of LEDs in each section, but when you've got 2 here, 3 there, 4 over there it becomes a bit of a headache, and most Ebay vendors sell resistors in batches of 50. Sucks when you only need 5 or less. One guy did a custom order for me, which was nice, but with these, it will be cheaper and way less work. :wootwoot:

I'm planning to buy a 0-15V, 0-1A variable power supply next month (cashing in my Ebay bucks :biggrin:), so I'll be able to test them in different conditions (LED setups) to make sure they work as advertised, and you can't come up with a way that still fries your LEDs by accident. I've got a handful of LEDs that I probably won't use in the TB, so they can be put to good use.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I was thinking about using them for a parallel circuit for the front driver and passenger door switches, and then just use a resistor for the rear switches.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I went with 1 in the passenger module for 2 LEDs in series. 2 in the driver module, 1 for the front window switches and window lock buttons in series, and 1 for the rear windows and door lock buttons, in series. Wasn't too bad. Just use small gauge wiring, and you can fit them between that clear acrylic piece and the rubber insert that sits on the circuit board.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
LED resistor calculations made easy :thumbsup: I use this for pretty much all my LED mods, until you get to the array stuff. That takes a bit more math.

LED Resistor Calculator

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
No... I know about the calculator. Ive already used it to figure out the resistors I need for one of my future mods. I only ask, because in post #5, you say you used 470ohm 1/4w resistors. The door switches just happen to be in that post.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:duh: My bad, yeah when I did them the first time, I ran them 1 to 1 like that with the 470 ohm resistors. When I went back to do the polarity pics, I redid both of the front doors with smaller wiring, and 1 resistor per set of contact pads so there was more room.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
When I did my window switchs I connected the leads of the LEDs positive to negitive in series and then calculated the resistance for all 5 resistors. If you look at post #607 you can see what I did.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Well I've done it again. I now have new Cree switchbacks with 24 SMDs around the base. They shine very bright white in park mode and when signal is turned on the white goes off and the side ambers flash and does this alternately. These are $24/pair and I'm working on having these made for the SRCK tail lights next.

parking light

turn signal

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online