LED Mod Thread

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
:no: I can see just fine at night, and have had blue LEDs literally everywhere in my TB for years.
The blue light from my aftermarket gauges blinds me, or maybe its the fact that I have 2 5050 green strips in my cluster...lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Any light will blind you depending on aim. My lightbar switch light at the right spot will blind me and its one lil bulb.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Capote said:
Bright light ruins night vision, trust me lol

The blue light from my aftermarket gauges blinds me, or maybe its the fact that I have 2 5050 green strips in my cluster...lol
Fixed that statement for ya.

Reactions: Sib

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I considered getting dimmable gauges for the ones I just orders, but I said eff it.. Now I'll have even more blinding me in an a-pillar setup

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
5630? God damn

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Dome light in it is 24 chip red 5630 panel and map lights are two red 5050 194's then there's about 4 feet of the 5630 strip going all the way across above the foot well. (single cab silverado)

I'll find a pic (was on my old phone) and report back with it lol. Done it while you were absent.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Mounce said:
Dome light in it is 24 chip red 5630 panel and map lights are two red 5050 194's then there's about 4 feet of the 5630 strip going all the way across above the foot well. (single cab silverado)

I'll find a pic (was on my old phone) and report back with it lol. Done it while you were absent.
Sounds cool man

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I have no problem seeing with my blue lights, either at partial power (have we named that yet) or at full power. Full will blind if looking at them just because they are VERY bright. When I had the reds I had to flip the visor (full power mode) to see anything. The ones I have (and same for the red that I had in there) are 24x 5630 SMDs. I tried just one 5050 panel (I believe it was also a 24x) from a friend and I was not sure I wanted to get LEDs.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Picked up some proper solder today
uploadfromtaptalk1440288200655.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
mcsteven said:
Hope that's not your soldering device behind it.
Lmao [emoji23] nah nah. I do need a better solder station though, perhaps next paycheck I'll research some good ones.

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mounce said:
Finally got that picture

IMG_20150510_204316_zpsc0nzcdgy.jpg

Lights on the bottom of the doors in the reflectors were also replaced with red leds.
Is there space behind the reflector to just add LEDs or was there cutting needed? If there was cutting needed, how did you mount the lights behind that reflector? For the new Winnemore and lastly, is it the original reflector or is that something else?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
mcsteven said:
Is there space behind the reflector to just add LEDs or was there cutting needed? If there was cutting needed, how did you mount the lights behind that reflector? For the new Winnemore and lastly, is it the original reflector or is that something else?
The full size trucks come with lights in the front door reflectors unlike ours. Almost pnp on the full size trucks, just have to enlarge the hole for the led to fit into the housing.

I'm not sure if the lighted reflectors can be directly swapped into a 360 or not though.

Reactions: mcsteven

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Mounce said:
The full size trucks come with lights in the front door reflectors unlike ours. Almost pnp on the full size trucks, just have to enlarge the hole for the led to fit into the housing.

I'm not sure if the lighted reflectors can be directly swapped into a 360 or not though.
That would be an interesting project, would be hard to make that work

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mounce said:

I looked closer at the picture. I hadn't been following along as much as I did before. I noticed the larger center armrest/console and realized it wasn't from a 360.

hawkeye405

Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
Does anyone know where I can find a schematic for an 03 tb instrument cluster panel without the dic? I was replacing the lights with led's and a few of the - side on the led's pulled the foil off. I need to solder in some jumpers to the negative side of a few led's.

hawkeye405

Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
Blckshdw,

I see the polarity map on page one but I need the schematic. I need to tie several if the LED Negative sides to a good ground because the foil on the board pulled off and I'm not sure where I can tie the - sides to.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can use any of the other negative pads just the same. What some other members have done is remove all of the bulbs altogether, and run an LED strip around the perimeter of the gauge face, so you'd only need 1 or 2 connections to the existing contact pads of your choice,

If you still feel the need to tie the grounds into the cluster wiring harness (seems like that's gonna get tricky for disconnecting it from the vehicle) check Mooseman's thread and download the PDF manuals. There's a set of wiring diagrams in there.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I suggest you do just strips Hawkeye, no hot spots and a lot quicker to do
I did two 5050 green strips in my cluster, don't have a pics on this phone, but you can find them on my build thread. Its a good example

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
Slapped in some LED tails and ordered LED reverse bulbs since these need different than factory

You pick up those IPCW LED tails from the guy on FB? That was hell of a deal for those tails. I think mine was about $225. IPCW makes a matching 3rd brake light for the Avalanche, of course we know it fits the TB as well. My IPCW 3rd brake light was about $100 on Amazon. They have chrome like your tails as well as the Bermuda Black.

Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yup. I nabbed them when I picked up the hood. These are the lightly smoked with chrome. Kinda want to give them a bit more smoke, but worry it wont be even and will bug me.

Will have to look for the matching third

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Are those the ones that used to be mine?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Are the rings led? Idk how they hold up unprotected like that, they're designed to be put inside headlights if they're halos like I'm thinking they are.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sweet. I got my reverse LEDs to put in tonight. Really wish my other mounts for the led cube had come in for this weekend, but oh well

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I found these strips in my storage unit, I dunno how I forgot about these. 15 pattern modes, not sure what I'll do with it
uploadfromtaptalk1443056527722.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
I remember you showing me those. I can't believe you didn't or them in your grill with the others.
I did?
Well I never wanted to put emergency vehicle colors on the exterior

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Grimor said:
I got some stuff planned... more details eventually, let's just say it involves an Arduino board, obd adapter, and some leds....
ordered the stuff today, a bit of code and will be able to change lighting effects based on real time obd data. rpm, speed, gear, any monitored temp, etc....

Reactions: mcsteven and Mounce

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Hi guys. I pulled my cluster out today to finally put my LEDs in. Opened a new Walmart solder iron and the tip wouldn't tin,Figures. So I'll go get a new one tomorrow... Anyway I'll use the downtime to ask how you guys removed the plastic pins that hold the original bulbs in place on the circuit board. Thanks guys

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
They're soldered on, by the filament bulb's leads. Look close, and you'll see them

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online