Firearms

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Then maybe you need to exchange your model of wife for one of the newer models. They have them ones that go like a banshee now, you know. :thumbsup:

Ha! After 38 years of marriage I don't have enough time to teach another one :duh:

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
Envoy_04 said:
Oh man, a 4" S&W .357 revolver in stainless - IMO one of, if not the, best looking revolvers ever made. Also one of the most fun guns on the planet to shoot. Too bad .357 rounds are so dang expensive. :frown:

I think without a doubt the colt python is the best looking revolver ever made. I have one in my collection, but no pics.....sorry.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
ChriSS K said:
I think without a doubt the colt python is the best looking revolver ever made. I have one in my collection, but no pics.....sorry.

Yeah, man, I remember the Python. Satisfying sound for existing on a PlayStation 1 game :rotfl: (if nobody's caught my reference, Resident Evil).

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
4e5etany.jpg

Wow I sure got messy with rapid fire sessions. Yesterday the weather was a little cool (notice how I stuck the Pentatonix autographed poster in) but what is a little snow on the range going to hurt!

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Blade said:
4e5etany.jpg

Wow I sure got messy with rapid fire sessions. Yesterday the weather was a little cool (notice how I stuck the Pentatonix autographed poster in) but what is a little snow on the range going to hurt!

Beethoven wall piano, something passed down in the family?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shot a Les Baer .308 Trophy yesterday and wish I could afford one. Very nice rifles.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I came into this Marlin model 60 from my mom. It was her boyfriends, then they split three years ago and she hasn't heard from him since. What I was wondering could it be transfered into my name? Also does anyone know where I can download a manual, Marlin website PDF manual doesn't load.

SAM_0411.jpg

SAM_0412.jpg

SAM_0413.jpg

SAM_0414.jpg

SAM_0415.jpg

SAM_0416.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Porkins said:
I came into this Marlin model 60 from my mom. It was her boyfriends, then they split three years ago and she hasn't heard from him since. What I was wondering could it be transfered into my name? Also does anyone know where I can download a manual, Marlin website PDF manual doesn't load.

SAM_0411.jpg

SAM_0412.jpg

SAM_0413.jpg

SAM_0414.jpg

SAM_0415.jpg

SAM_0416.jpg

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Tube.pdf

Do you have to register rifles in GA? If it is abandoned it should not be too hard.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Tube.pdf

Do you have to register rifles in GA? If it is abandoned it should not be too hard.

Thank you Larry, your link works. Don't know why it wouldn't load on there website.

I googled it to make sure, "Rifles and Shotguns Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No Registration of rifles and shotguns? No Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No"

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. The bluing is all shot, I would go through it really well. Check the barrel make sure it isn't pitted and clean the outside and re- blue it.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I planned on down the road taking it to a older guy at the local hardware store who does gun repair before firing it. That is why I was asking if I needed to do anything to register it in my name. He lived in FL and I think they register firearms so Im trying to figure out this whole mess.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Porkins said:
I planned on down the road taking it to a older guy at the local hardware store who does gun repair before firing it. That is why I was asking if I needed to do anything to register it in my name. He lived in FL and I think they register firearms so Im trying to figure out this whole mess.

Unless they register them where you are at, then you shouldn't have to transfer or register anything. Your only concern might be if he reported it stolen. Your local PD should be able to run the number for you thought and see if there is a hit. Just tell them it's your mom's and she got it from a old boy friend for protection.

I wouldn't spend too much on it, it's only a $125 gun in decent condition but a quick inspection, a little gun oil and stain and she'll probably shoot ok for ya. Is it missing the rod from the tube magazine?

(haha your license plate says BUTTS)

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
Porkins said:
No registration in Florida, or at least I have never registered any of mine. You should be fine.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Thank you all for the help. Ill check into it to see if it was reported, I doubt he did. FYI dont use eHarmony.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Porkins said:
Thank you all for the help. Ill check into it to see if it was reported, I doubt he did. FYI dont use eHarmony.

I tried eHarmony once. They asked what I like in a woman, apparently "my d:lipsrsealed:k" wasn't an acceptable answer. :rotfl:

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Short Bus said:
I tried eHarmony once. They asked what I like in a woman, apparently "my d:lipsrsealed:k" wasn't an acceptable answer. :rotfl:

Haha...

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Anybody get in any range time lately? I went out last week and took a newb. I think he is hooked on handguns! :wootwoot:

My 1911 Colt has this little thing on the barrel that Richard Shockey devised in the 60's called a mousetrap. He attached it to the top of the recoil spring plug and it puts pressure up to the barrel to hold it up in place while cycling. It has a roller on the top and that makes contact with the barrel. Ingenious things that he fabricated himself in the quest to accurize the 1911 and get a 1.25 inch group @ 50 yds. Lots of other stuff including a very large and tight barrel bushing.

So the nightmare begins with the so called field strip of this very famous gunsmiths pet project. This is not a normal depress the plug, twist the barrel bushing and so on. It stops at depress the plug and twist the barrel bushing. The fun begins when you realize that the bushing pops out only about a half inch. Then you say WTF? You look at the picture over and over then finally realize that the "mousetrap" is catching on the bushing and it will not come out the front.

At this point you think to yourself, "Well it has to come apart so it must come out the other way." So now I have spring tension on the slide, pushing to line everything up to get the barrel pin out and I seem to have needed one more hand with a screwdriver to get some pull on the barrel pin. :crazy: Finally got it out and without damage or scratches.

I slowly released the spring tension and it all released very appropriately into the palm of my hand. I pushed the recoil spring plug back toward the mainframe and there it was. The little mousetrap that would not let me take the plug out of the front like a normal 1911. I looked it over and wondered how somebody would have thought this through and gone to the effort to make this little device. :undecided: Does it really make this thing that much more accurate? So off to the 1911 forum and ask "the Roadie" of that forum for some help. he replied very quickly and politely with, "If its 50 yards away and the size of a quarter, maybe. If your target is 10 feet away it does nothing."

His profound advice was to replace it with a normal plug. Basically because of the unique nature of the animal and its creator is long passed. The other more profound reason is the difficulty it creates for the re-assembly. And I said hmmmmm. I then realized the reason the guy with the youtube video on his Shockey Deluxe model did not include the dis-assembly and re-assembly of this little gem from history. His gun also had the bar that runs our from the trigger housing that carries a substantial counterweight. It has enough length to add much more if you so desired.

It took me 1.5 hours to get this bitch back together. Between cutting myself, searching through Youtube video, and ramming the new Wilson combat spring into my finger an un-measurable number of times, the time passed painfully but quickly. Blood began to feel comfortable dripping down my hand but Diane insisted on patching me up for fear of me getting it "All Over Everything!"

Wilson combat spring went back in the box and the original Shockey spring went back in the gun as it was about 3/4 of an inch shorter. Due to the counterweight rod I cold not get my fingers in securely to maintain the spring compression without it popping then flipping the barrel securing loop to the other side. When I finally got this beast to comply without flopping the barrel loop to the opposite side it was like I finally woke up from a nightmare

So...... guess what I bought today and guess what else is going into the safe for collectors sake. Yes it is a stock recoil spring plug and the mousetrap will be saved for somebody else to look at in amusement and amazement at 1960's accurizing ingenuity and craftsmanship.

The attached picture is of a gun owned by The Shootist. He did not have the deluxe version with the counterweight system. But is does show the mousetrap, fabricated to sit on top of the recoil spring plug and theoretically increase accuracy.

Attachments

• Shootist 1911 Shockey.jpg
    Shootist 1911 Shockey.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 4

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Blade said:
Anybody get in any range time lately? I went out last week and took a newb. I think he is hooked on handguns! :wootwoot:

My 1911 Colt has this little thing on the barrel that Richard Shockey devised in the 60's called a mousetrap. He attached it to the top of the recoil spring plug and it puts pressure up to the barrel to hold it up in place while cycling. It has a roller on the top and that makes contact with the barrel. Ingenious things that he fabricated himself in the quest to accurize the 1911 and get a 1.25 inch group @ 50 yds. Lots of other stuff including a very large and tight barrel bushing.

So the nightmare begins with the so called field strip of this very famous gunsmiths pet project. This is not a normal depress the plug, twist the barrel bushing and so on. It stops at depress the plug and twist the barrel bushing. The fun begins when you realize that the bushing pops out only about a half inch. Then you say WTF? You look at the picture over and over then finally realize that the "mousetrap" is catching on the bushing and it will not come out the front.

At this point you think to yourself, "Well it has to come apart so it must come out the other way." So now I have spring tension on the slide, pushing to line everything up to get the barrel pin out and I seem to have needed one more hand with a screwdriver to get some pull on the barrel pin. :crazy: Finally got it out and without damage or scratches.

I slowly released the spring tension and it all released very appropriately into the palm of my hand. I pushed the recoil spring plug back toward the mainframe and there it was. The little mousetrap that would not let me take the plug out of the front like a normal 1911. I looked it over and wondered how somebody would have thought this through and gone to the effort to make this little device. :undecided: Does it really make this thing that much more accurate? So off to the 1911 forum and ask "the Roadie" of that forum for some help. he replied very quickly and politely with, "If its 50 yards away and the size of a quarter, maybe. If your target is 10 feet away it does nothing."

His profound advice was to replace it with a normal plug. Basically because of the unique nature of the animal and its creator is long passed. The other more profound reason is the difficulty it creates for the re-assembly. And I said hmmmmm. I then realized the reason the guy with the youtube video on his Shockey Deluxe model did not include the dis-assembly and re-assembly of this little gem from history. His gun also had the bar that runs our from the trigger housing that carries a substantial counterweight. It has enough length to add much more if you so desired.

It took me 1.5 hours to get this bitch back together. Between cutting myself, searching through Youtube video, and ramming the new Wilson combat spring into my finger an un-measurable number of times, the time passed painfully but quickly. Blood began to feel comfortable dripping down my hand but Diane insisted on patching me up for fear of me getting it "All Over Everything!"

Wilson combat spring went back in the box and the original Shockey spring went back in the gun as it was about 3/4 of an inch shorter. Due to the counterweight rod I cold not get my fingers in securely to maintain the spring compression without it popping then flipping the barrel securing loop to the other side. When I finally got this beast to comply without flopping the barrel loop to the opposite side it was like I finally woke up from a nightmare

So...... guess what I bought today and guess what else is going into the safe for collectors sake. Yes it is a stock recoil spring plug and the mousetrap will be saved for somebody else to look at in amusement and amazement at 1960's accurizing ingenuity and craftsmanship.

The attached picture is of a gun owned by The Shootist. He did not have the deluxe version with the counterweight system. But is does show the mousetrap, fabricated to sit on top of the recoil spring plug and theoretically increase accuracy.

Between school and bad weather I don't get much range time this time of year. :frown:

That's extremely interesting about your 1911, I noticed the extra parts on it when you last posted a pic, just never got around to asking what it was. You've got yourself a nice piece of history there.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The reason this never caught on is because it was one of those ideas that seemed good in theory but never actually did anything.

The greatest contribution to accuracy with good ammunition is a good hand-fit match barrel, matched to a properly hand-fitted solid bushing.

It takes a LOT of work to fit the barrel and the bushing properly, and it is very easy to screw it up if someone doesn't know what they are doing.

If anyone ever decides to tackle it, the best way is to fit the barrel hood first, using lots of machinists blue to find the high spots. Top smiths use an old broken finger bushing to fit the barrel because it will be in and out of the frame hundreds of times. Once the barrel is tight, then the new bushing is hand-fit by removing only enough material to take the 'spring' out of the barrel lockup. This means the barrel can rock in the bushing only in the vertical plane (because the barrel pivots downward) but should be very tight in the horizontal plane. You will likely need a bushing wrench to field strip a well-fitted bushing and barrel combo.

I have seen a LOT of 1911 gadgets come on go over the years. The best was when we started installing all the parts that reduced recoil. We added up all the claims for 20% this and 30% that. When we installed everything, every time we fired the handgun, it would jump down and TOWARD the target.

Just joking, by the way.:smile:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
The reason this never caught on is because it was one of those ideas that seemed good in theory but never actually did anything.

The greatest contribution to accuracy with good ammunition is a good hand-fit match barrel, matched to a properly hand-fitted solid bushing.

It takes a LOT of work to fit the barrel and the bushing properly, and it is very easy to screw it up if someone doesn't know what they are doing.

If anyone ever decides to tackle it, the best way is to fit the barrel hood first, using lots of machinists blue to find the high spots. Top smiths use an old broken finger bushing to fit the barrel because it will be in and out of the frame hundreds of times. Once the barrel is tight, then the new bushing is hand-fit by removing only enough material to take the 'spring' out of the barrel lockup. This means the barrel can rock in the bushing only in the vertical plane (because the barrel pivots downward) but should be very tight in the horizontal plane. You will likely need a bushing wrench to field strip a well-fitted bushing and barrel combo.

I have seen a LOT of 1911 gadgets come on go over the years. The best was when we started installing all the parts that reduced recoil. We added up all the claims for 20% this and 30% that. When we installed everything, every time we fired the handgun, it would jump down and TOWARD the target.

Just joking, by the way.:smile:

Lol! Thanks D.

And that's why I could not get the barrel out! At first I thought I welded it together with my incredibly fast trigger finger doing quick draw! :tongue: That bushing in the front is a beast and I guess my next purchase will be a bushing wrench! :thumbsup:
IPSC-April-6.jpg

Now I need my Black Badge!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My range is a good 50 miles away (at my cabin, in the mountains). And since you need a snowmobile to get to the cabin right now, which I have, but not in running condition, I haven't been just yet. 1 more month, and I hope to be able to afford to go weekly.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Anyone have a good source or vendor for older rifles? I would love to have a nice M1 Garand or Springfield .308....I like stuff with history, so I don't want any new builds. I don't really want to shop on my own as I don't know enough to know who would be fibbing me and who would be honest. I'm okay with paying a bit more for it as long as it really is what they say it is!

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Kelly@PCMofNC said:
Anyone have a good source or vendor for older rifles? I would love to have a nice M1 Garand or Springfield .308....I like stuff with history, so I don't want any new builds. I don't really want to shop on my own as I don't know enough to know who would be fibbing me and who would be honest. I'm okay with paying a bit more for it as long as it really is what they say it is!

Get your M1 from the CMP. odcmp.org.

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
I got some range time at the local spot this weekend and I just love this gun. It's a Beretta Storm CX4 in 9mm with an Aimpoint micro. Sweet thing about his guy is it takes the same mags as my 92FS. This gun is ridiculously accurate and has zero recoil. I upgraded a lot of the plastic parts with sierra poppa trigger, hammer and buffer. The target in the pic 20rds at 25yds. Next to my AR this is one of the most fun guns I've ever shot! I've moved the aimpoint to the furthest spot toward the rear.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
View attachment 33219

Got bored and put a few rounds through the AR57. only thing I hate about the upper is that I have to take the BAD lever off my lower to use it.

Still waiting on the tax stamp to pickup my gemtech suppressor, then picking up an AR pistol lower to use with my 6" barrel. Haven't decided if I wanna send more money to uncle same to SBR it.
View attachment 33220
a pic of the gemtech on a short barrel

Attachments

• IMG_20130815_175137_506.jpg
    IMG_20130815_175137_506.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 400x448ximages-573-tm.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ixlsiIOp51.jpg
    400x448ximages-573-tm.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ixlsiIOp51.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 62

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
My newest toy, at least for a min.

mms_picture_zps8e040bbc.jpg

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
My buddy keeps telling me that I need a long gun. :undecided: A rifle you say .....hmmm. It seems that the only rifle kind of thing I seem to be interested in is really short and nowhere near long gun status.:thumbsup:

This weekend I should get to the range. I have to see how the 1911 colt shoots after the mousetrap plug swap and the new spring.

Attachments

• 300px-FN-P90_2.jpg
    300px-FN-P90_2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 31

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That's pretty cool right there

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
That's pretty cool right there

Apparently the FN P90 is fairly expensive up here and is limited to semi-auto of course for Canada :confused: I saw a guy with one at the range a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Expensive for me too

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Blade said:
My buddy keeps telling me that I need a long gun. :undecided: A rifle you say .....hmmm. It seems that the only rifle kind of thing I seem to be interested in is really short and nowhere near long gun status.:thumbsup:

This weekend I should get to the range. I have to see how the 1911 colt shoots after the mousetrap plug swap and the new spring.

I dig the PS90, but the ammo is a deal killer for me. Apparently reloading the 5.7 is not straightforward like other bottle neck cartridges.

Can you guys get the IMI Tavor up there?

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
strat81 said:
I dig the PS90, but the ammo is a deal killer for me. Apparently reloading the 5.7 is not straightforward like other bottle neck cartridges.

I spent $360 for 500 rnds of 5.7x28mm and that was when I could find it. It's not made by a lot of people yet so supplies get bought up quickly

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
strat81 said:

We can get stuff as long as it is converted to semi-auto :/

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Freedom. Not in the north... $200 tax stamp and I can have anything.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
But I can get a heart transplant for fee!

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Freedom. Not in the north... $200 tax stamp and I can have anything.

Blade said:
But I can get a heart transplant for free!

or a liver after my last trip!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online