Firearms

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just getting into guns really. This is my first Rifle..

103_0590.jpg

1891 Sporterized Argentine Mauser 7.65x53 Over scope, under iron sights.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Just getting into guns really. This is my first Rifle..

103_0590.jpg

1891 Sporterized Argentine Mauser 7.65x53 Over scope, under iron sights.

Looks really clean. The old ones are fun.

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Anyone have any experience with Hi-Point handguns? They are 100% American made and seem to be priced very well.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Fishhunter911 said:
Anyone have any experience with Hi-Point handguns? They are 100% American made and seem to be priced very well.

Yes. They work and you get what you pay for.

Heavy. Bulky. Reliable. Cheap. Simple.

I own a few and like them but I also am sure that I like some others I have better.

Better than nothing but not a competition caliber firearm.

My experience and most others will agree that their customer service is incredible.

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for anything fancy by any means. Being bulky though may be the downside for me.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
My dad got a 9mm for free when he put in a large order to a distributor, some years ago... It's heavy and bulky, but it seems to be reliable...

Mike

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Bartonmd said:
My dad got a 9mm for free when he put in a large order to a distributor, some years ago... It's heavy and bulky, but it seems to be reliable...

Mike

Heavy and bulky, by any chance is it ugle too, but shoots fine, could it be a Hight Point :pictures:

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Got my hands on an AK-74 a while back
ak.jpg

More recently picked up a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm:
6472520735_629da7c0a5_z.jpg

Now just waiting on my Georgia Weapons Carry License to come in the mail.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Yes. They work and you get what you pay for.

Heavy. Bulky. Reliable. Cheap. Simple.

I own a few and like them but I also am sure that I like some others I have better.

Better than nothing but not a competition caliber firearm.

My experience and most others will agree that their customer service is incredible.

Bartonmd said:

Mike

jbones said:
Heavy and bulky, by any chance is it ugle too, but shoots fine, could it be a Hight Point :pictures:

:iagree: I had 1 and just got my son one for Christmas. They go bang on demand and hit what you aim them at. They are heavy, ugly and not a great carry gun, but a good range or nightstand gun.

BTW they are made about 45 min. from me in Mansfield, OH

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
Hey guys and gals, read up on this.. it's been passed.

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Passes the U.S. House of Representatives! Please Call Your Representative and Thank him for Voting for H.R. 822!

On Wednesday, November 16, the U.S. House of Representatives voted on and passed H.R. 822, the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act." Please contact your Representative and thank them for voting for this pro-gun legislation and against all anti-gun amendments designed to gut the bill. This important bill allows any law-abiding concealed carry permit holder to legally carry a concealed firearm while visiting any state that does not prohibit concealed carry.

NRA-ILA :: The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

And here's another article about it.

NRA-ILA :: U.S. House of Representatives Adopts Right-to-Carry Reciprocity

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
cody_s said:

Those things are getting cheap! $300 gets one, delivered! Aside from the GOD AWFUL trigger on them, they seem to be reasonably accurate, and pretty reliable...

Mike

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bartonmd said:
Those things are getting cheap! $300 gets one, delivered! Aside from the GOD AWFUL trigger on them, they seem to be reasonably accurate, and pretty reliable...

Mike

Yep, paid $300 for it brand new. The trigger took some getting used to, but I think I can deal with it. With it being my first handgun (and more than likely a carry weapon once I get my carry license), I like knowing that the trigger is virtually impossible to accidentally pull. Especially if I'm carrying with one chambered.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
cody_s said:

Now just waiting on my Georgia Weapons Carry License to come in the mail.

I had a S&W Sigma 40. Not to bad mouth your gun, but IMO they have gotten cheap for a reason. It could've just been mine but it shot 12" high and 6" left. I put more trust in a Hi Point if my life depended on it. That's why I traded it for a Taurus 605

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I talked to Glock at a trade show earlier this year and we were discussing the Glock 21SF. He mentioned that it was a stop-gap model and Glock would probably introduce a Gen 4 version within a year.

I just got the press release today. Glock will be at the SHOT show with three new Gen 4 models: Glock Model 21, 32 and 34.

Hmm, wonder if I should get rid of a few 870s ...

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I had heard Glock was having some pretty bad teething problems with the gen-4 models... Do they have these resolved, yet?

Mike

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
They have addressed the issues with new versions of the recoil spring assembly for some of the models if I remember correctly.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
I talked to Glock at a trade show earlier this year and we were discussing the Glock 21SF. He mentioned that it was a stop-gap model and Glock would probably introduce a Gen 4 version within a year.

I just got the press release today. Glock will be at the SHOT show with three new Gen 4 models: Glock Model 21, 32 and 34.

Hmm, wonder if I should get rid of a few 870s ...

i'd be willing to take a rem 870 off your hands.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Which one? Some of them have 10,000 rounds through them.

Mind you, it takes about 500 rounds just to break them in, so 10,000 is nothing. (Just as long as the firing pin spring is in one piece.)

NeWtIcUs

Dec 6, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
They have addressed the issues with new versions of the recoil spring assembly for some of the models if I remember correctly.

The Glock 19 G4 was one of the ones with the spring assembly not being a heavy enough spring (#3). I found out about the issue like a week after I bought mine. Luckily they had corrected the problem by then and I had the stiffer spring (#4 I think).

My 19 G4 has been awesome! :wootwoot:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
Which one? Some of them have 10,000 rounds through them.

Mind you, it takes about 500 rounds just to break them in, so 10,000 is nothing. (Just as long as the firing pin spring is in one piece.)

You shoot a lot of trap, or something?

Mike

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Bartonmd said:
You shoot a lot of trap, or something?

Mike
Nope. What started as a sport (combat pistol) many years ago eventually became my career and I now spend my time teaching folks how to shoot guns. For some reason, people think I know what I am talking about and I have fooled them into thinking I am not too bad at shotgun training, especially in wilderness areas.

Until I have to some day go out and get a "real" job like my wife is always urging me, I get to travel the country and teach police, military and government agencies on how to shoot handguns and/or shotguns really accurately and really really fast. I also helped write the book on firearms safety in Canada (the CFSC course and manual; fellow Canadian gun owners will know the acronym) and I have now worked with about half of the actors in Hollywood on how to look like you know what you are doing with a gun in your hand.

I also get to drive police cars around race tracks and then write about my experiences.

I keep thinking that one of these days I am going to wake up and find out my life has all been a dream, but in the mean time, I get to do what I love to do in life.

So ... now you know why my 870 training guns go through a thousand rounds a year!

I don't want to mention my real name for modesty reasons but if you watch Discovery Channel, they are doing an episode on the true facts behind the death of actor Brandon Lee, and apparently Discovery Channel tracked me down and interviewed me as some kind of "expert" on the matter. It was quite an honour to be asked to appear on camera for a simple boy from the Canadian prairies like me, but at the same time, it was inspiring that the memory of what went wrong that night 20 years ago in North Carolina on the set of "The Crow" will never be forgotten.

Did I mention that some days I think I have the best job in the world?

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Look what I got in the mail today!!
ad3b2f8e-66b2-ff06.jpg

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Bartonmd said:
European police trade-ins... Which means they really only have qualification rounds through them! (though they do have some holster wear)

Glock 22 .40 - $369 - Glock 22 .40cal Handgun

Glock 27 Subcompact 40 - $399 - Glock 27 .40cal Handgun

Having said that, I got my XD45C brand new, for $450, said and done... Found it from a place in Ohio, and shipped it to my dad, so no FFL fee...

Mike

Was it used? Would you mind sharing where you got it so cheap. I've been wanting to get a XD40.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Porkins said:
Was it used? Would you mind sharing where you got it so cheap. I've been wanting to get a XD40.

LOL, see the middle 2 words you hilighted? "brand new"... Sorry, I just had to!

I got it from some "whitetails" place in Ohio, that I found online (that I tried to find, again, when I got my XDm 9mm, but I don't think they're dealing in Springfield stuff any more)... Got it shipped to my dad's house (FFL), and transferred to me...

However, since the XDm came out, the XD's have come down a few bucks... XD40, huh?

Subcompact (Springfield 40S 3" SUBCMPT ESSENTIAL $430.00 SHIPS FREE) or standard (Springfield XD 40SW 4" Black, 12 round $430.00 SHIPS FREE They're both $430 shipped...

Mike

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
Nope. What started as a sport (combat pistol) many years ago eventually became my career and I now spend my time teaching folks how to shoot guns. For some reason, people think I know what I am talking about and I have fooled them into thinking I am not too bad at shotgun training, especially in wilderness areas.

Until I have to some day go out and get a "real" job like my wife is always urging me, I get to travel the country and teach police, military and government agencies on how to shoot handguns and/or shotguns really accurately and really really fast. I also helped write the book on firearms safety in Canada (the CFSC course and manual; fellow Canadian gun owners will know the acronym) and I have now worked with about half of the actors in Hollywood on how to look like you know what you are doing with a gun in your hand.

I also get to drive police cars around race tracks and then write about my experiences.

I keep thinking that one of these days I am going to wake up and find out my life has all been a dream, but in the mean time, I get to do what I love to do in life.

So ... now you know why my 870 training guns go through a thousand rounds a year!

I don't want to mention my real name for modesty reasons but if you watch Discovery Channel, they are doing an episode on the true facts behind the death of actor Brandon Lee, and apparently Discovery Channel tracked me down and interviewed me as some kind of "expert" on the matter. It was quite an honour to be asked to appear on camera for a simple boy from the Canadian prairies like me, but at the same time, it was inspiring that the memory of what went wrong that night 20 years ago in North Carolina on the set of "The Crow" will never be forgotten.

Did I mention that some days I think I have the best job in the world?

Very, very interesting! Never know who you're talking to!

Mike

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Bartonmd said:
LOL, see the middle 2 words you hilighted? "brand new"... Sorry, I just had to!

I got it from some "whitetails" place in Ohio, that I found online (that I tried to find, again, when I got my XDm 9mm, but I don't think they're dealing in Springfield stuff any more)... Got it shipped to my dad's house (FFL), and transferred to me...

However, since the XDm came out, the XD's have come down a few bucks... XD40, huh?

Subcompact (Springfield 40S 3" SUBCMPT ESSENTIAL $430.00 SHIPS FREE) or standard (Springfield XD 40SW 4" Black, 12 round $430.00 SHIPS FREE They're both $430 shipped...

Mike

lol, I didn't even seen that. :bonk: "Here's your sign" huh?

Yeah, XD40. I don't think there is much of a difference between the XDm & XD. Thanks for the links, I haven't found anyone else carrying them that cheap.

-Joey

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
lol, I didn't even seen that. :bonk: "Here's your sign" huh?

Yeah, XD40. I don't think there is much of a difference between the XDm & XD. Thanks for the links, I haven't found anyone else carrying them that cheap.

-Joey

thats where i bought my XD45... best price i was able to find...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Porkins said:
...difference between the XDm & XD. ...
I liked the look and trigger changes for the XDm. But alas, SA won't even allow the 9mm to be sold through its dealers in CA because (the local store says) one of the benefits is a 19 round mag, which exceeds our limit of 10. So we can't get the weapon from dealers because SA doesn't make 10 rd mags for it. But for a bunch more $$, you can jump through hoops and get mags modified and buy one through the normal non-dealer legal channels.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
I liked the look and trigger changes for the XDm. But alas, SA won't even allow the 9mm to be sold through its dealers in CA because (the local store says) one of the benefits is a 19 round mag, which exceeds our limit of 10. So we can't get the weapon from dealers because SA doesn't make 10 rd mags for it. But for a bunch more $$, you can jump through hoops and get mags modified and buy one through the normal non-dealer legal channels.

i have seen alot of SA XD's that are California compliant from the factory. They already come with 10 round mags stock...

Springfield 9mm ESSENTIAL 3" SUB*CA* $430.00 SHIPS FREE 3" barrel 9mm

Springfield XD 40, 4 inch, OD Green, w/XD Gear, 10rd Mags $470.00 SHIPS FREE 4" barrel 40sw

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/32480 4" 9mm

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:

The magazine thing is a semi-stopper, but the main reason they're illegal in CA is because of a new law there that guns have to have a magazine block, so the pistol will not fire the one in the pipe without the magazine in it... The standard XD is exempt from this law, because it was already being produced when the law went into effect...

FWIW, having an XD45C and an XDm9 4.5", I actually like the trigger on my XD45C better... Seems to be a little more crisp...

Mike

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Hatchet said:
thats where i bought my XD45... best price i was able to find...

But you can't LEGALLY carry it :raspberry:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:
But you can't LEGALLY carry it :raspberry:

He can when he comes to Indiana, or about 30 other states... I believe he said he's got Indiana and FL permits...

MIke

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Bartonmd said:
He can when he comes to Indiana, or about 30 other states... I believe he said he's got Indiana and FL permits...

MIke

I didn't know he could get a permit for another state without a permit for his home state. That reminds me, I need to get a Pennsylvania permit.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:

MIke

I have FL, Utah, and PA

Short Bus said:
I didn't know he could get a permit for another state without a permit for his home state. That reminds me, I need to get a Pennsylvania permit.

some states requires you to get your home state license first if they offer one. my state does not offer it so i am not effected by that stipulation of law.

or they require you to have your home state license if your home state has reciprocity with that state. i know utah was going that way, i dont know if that passed.

wink

Nov 30, 2011
I thought you had to be a resident for a certain amount of time before a state would allow you to get a CCW permit. I remember having to wait before Kentucky would let me get one after I moved here. Maybe it's a state by state thing.:undecided:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
wink said:
I thought you had to be a resident for a certain amount of time before a state would allow you to get a CCW permit. I remember having to wait before Kentucky would let me get one after I moved here. Maybe it's a state by state thing.:undecided:

YA, gun laws are a state by state thing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep. Some states let you get a non-resident or out of state permit and you can get reciprocity to carry in more states.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online