Firearms

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
If you go back as far as the Great War of WW1 and later in WW2… “The Browning Automatic Rifle” gets the nod for a Light Machine Gun (Mr. John Browning’s Machine Rifle) with a very distinctive sound cacophony and an astonishing amount of knock-down power at great ranges using the famous Remington .30-06 Caliber Rounds.

While the Infantrymen carried the similarly chambered .30-06 (Thirty-Aught-Six) M1 Garand (courtesy a design from our Brother from the GWN... Mr. John Garand) … This BAR Fully Automatic Weapon demanded an awful lot physical strength from the Battle Ready Soldier for carrying this weapon and its very heavy ammunition all over Hell and Gone and then engaging the enemy with either “Walking Fire” and/or offering suppression fire for his Squad Members from cover.

After WW1… many of these Automatic Weapons wound up in the hands of Criminals like “Bonnie and Clyde” (Google their names for the original pics they took of each other holding these weapons and their "Loot" from their bank Robbery activities, often cutting down the barrel length(s) to wield with less weight and the problems of being generally cumbersome to handle. Here is a great video that will startle many with just exactly how much serious power and punch this weapon implies:

The VOP (Video Original Poster) mentioned the name of the man who provided him with the weapons he would be demonstrating as “Machine Gun Mike”… Back in the 1970s when I was heavily involved in hand-loading and competition shooting… One Saturday afternoon… I got invited to this Man’s house with some other Fellow LEO friends and I had the privilege of viewing his weapons collections that included American and German WW2 Vintage Machine Guns.

Then I was even more dumbfounded when he brought me into a huge concealed room with metal clad walls and a Bank Safe Entrance. There inside were literally racks and racks of German Schmeisser MP-40s, MP-42s… and an assortment of Rare Rifles and other Exotic Military Weapons. He had a Full Filing Cabinet filled with all of his Federal Firearms Licenses and Tax Paperwork for these things that at that time... ran $200.00 per weapon! I couldn’t even get my head around how much of a fortune this affable, friendly Firearms Collector must have had to invest in fill up his Amazing Armory!

He even had not one… but two German Couriers’ Broom-Handled Schmeisser Machine Pistols that had Hollow Wooden Stocks that carried the weapons inside like a Sandwich in a Kid’s Lunchbox. My God… It was like dying and going to Weapons Heaven and it was indeed… a very rare and Good Day!

This video describes the M1 Garand Semi-Automatic Rifle chambered for the Remington .30-06 Round … the later NATO .308 Round replaced it with when the M14 M1A .308 Caliber Korean abd Viet Nam War conflict era Semi-Automatic Rifle came into its own (...the one shown in the Video is NOT the M1A1 Match Grade M14 Rifle...):

This historical review on the M1 Garand is well worth the viewing, too:

LVJJJ

My last name is Stoner (yeah, I've heard all about it). However, in this thread, I wanted to mention that someone in my extended family created the Stoner Rifle. I don't know much about it, anybody know much? I think it became the M-16, that true?

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Your Famous Relative is Mr. Eugene Stoner...and back in the 1950's... He designed first the AR-5 (and later the AR-10 Rifle in 7.62X51MM Cartridge) for the Armalite Corporation to assist downed USAF Pilots/Airmen with a Light Weight Survival Rifle. But for a catastrophic Materials Failure during a Field Test Shoot-Off to replace the M1-Garand (8 Shot Internal Magazine) ...his weapon design at that time might have been the winner as it was the only REAL competition when up against the Box Magazine Fed Garand-style M14 with Full and Semi-Auto firing capability and a rifle that would eliminate the Heavy .30-06 round in favor of the NATO .308 Caliber (... forget the FN-FAL).

AR10.png

Later on, the US Military would adopt the Colt AR-15 (M-16) to replace the M-14; a New Weapon...but one that was based upon Gene's Original AR Design that Colt purchased the Rights to Manufacture from Armalite. The Colt M-16 sported a Lighter, Higher Velocity Round with much less recoil using the NATO 5.56MM (.223 Caliber) Round that allowed Soldiers to carry MUCH MORE Ammunition onto the battlefield. This link will prove interesting and edifying for you:

https://gundigest.com/rifles/ars-rifles/ar-10-vs-ar-15-how-stoners-rifles-stack-up

Last edited:

LVJJJ

Thanks MRRSM. I had heard about the Stoner Rifle many many years ago at a family gathering. Then forgot all about it (I don't own any guns but I sure want to be able to buy one if I need it). So last year we were going thru the International Border back into the states (we live in Blaine Washington right on the Canadian-USA border) and the border guard said "Stoner huh? You know your family created the M16 which started as the Stoner Rifle? Which reminded me of it, so we talked for a while, now, everytime we get that guard when we go to Canada, he remembers us and we have nice discussions. I'm telling ya, its really nice having a good relationship with the border guards when crossing, some of them can be jerks. Our daughter and grandson live in Canada so we cross quite often.

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
This Video features some Slow-Mo Action taken at 12,500 Frames Per Second of a Tiny, Breech Locking-Loading, Single Shot Pistol... using Pin-Fire Ball Ammunition. But even something as Small as this REAL but very diminutive Weapon can still cause harm or blindness if fired into the Human Eye and it speaks to the Chemical Power of Gun Powder in the controlled apparatus of a Center-Fire Cartridge ...STILL so very Potent and Dangerous... even though the Gun and Cartridge have been made on such a small scale:

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
@LVJJJ ...You're NOT going to believe this, Brother.. .but while purchasing a 2" X 2" X 6" Block of Extruded 6061 Aluminum I needed for a completely different Off Topic Project... I discovered that this is the IDENTICAL flavor of Heat Treated Kaiser Aluminum that is used to manufacture the Upper & Lower Receivers of the Stoner AR-10 and the Colt AR-15 Rifles... Take a close look at the image... and observe the NAME of the Company that sells this Aluminum Block:

2"X 2" 6061 SQUARE ALUMINUM SOLID FLAT BAR 6" long +.25"/-0 T6511 New Mill Stock

ALUMINUMBLOCK2X2X6.jpg

...as verified by the 6061 Aluminum WIKI:

6061-T6 is used for:

You have GOT to admit it.... Now THIS serendipitous stuff about The Stoner Name... is Weird! :jawdrop2:

Last edited:

Capote

Platinum Supporter
Had a need to up the scope on a .243 and found a Black friday deal on one of these. Should work out pretty good

View attachment 86698
You mounted it yet? :pictures:

Although I've been a poor man for 2 months now, I've been putting a parts list together for a future .300 blackout SBR build.

Nope. Firearm hunting just ended n I used my 308. Now in muzzleloader season.

I got a full .300 rifle setup to build and debating on doing a pistol build with the other 300 barrel i got. Just never seem to find the time I had to play like I could before the kids.

Capote

Platinum Supporter
I say you might as well do a pistol build since you've got an extra barrel. The AR platform is so modular and fun to work with.
Reason for me wanting to do an SBR with a 300 is due to the gas issues when you go below about a 10.3" with .223 & 5.56. 300 Blackout was designed around a 9" barrel setup. I'm wanting this thing pretty small & compact without having to deal with issues. I've even been looking into side-folding stock systems for the AR and removable barrel systems too. They're pretty spectacular. I only recently discovered the removable barrel setups. There's like 3 IIRC?? You ever see them before?

Capote

Platinum Supporter
I do agree that it is better to spend a $200 tax stamp for supressor, especially for home defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyZ

Latest posts

Top Bottom