Firearms

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Get some lead down range and THEN start modding it so you know if you are helping or hindering performance on your rifle. What works for one is not the right avenue for another shooter quite often.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Sorry Capote, I apologize. My issue is with polymer lowers and ATI accessories. I modded my post a bit. That Head Down upper and free float rail seem quality products.

To save a few ounces and make for a slicker look, I took off my Daniel Defense free float rail and replaced with the Troy Alpha VTAC, so if you are looking to save a few more ounces, that might be one place to look at. On the other hand, it is almost double the price of the Head Down rail you have already, so it would be an expensive few ounces!

I also love your Magpul CTR stock. I bought one in black when I had the DD rail on, and then another one in FDE when I switched to the Troy Alpha VTAC. (I am not that bright, but my credit card company loves me.) I even tried a mess of grips before I found one I liked. Tried the Hogue, Magpul MOE and then settled on the Magpul MIAD. (And, of course, had to get one in FDE and one in black in case I ever switch back to the DD rail.)

Yup. Hardtrailz said it best. ARs are legos for big boys.

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They really are. I have no need for a new muzzle brake but keep looking for one.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sorry Capote, I apologize. My issue is with polymer lowers and ATI accessories. I modded my post a bit. That Head Down upper and free float rail seem quality products.

To save a few ounces and make for a slicker look, I took off my Daniel Defense free float rail and replaced with the Troy Alpha VTAC, so if you are looking to save a few more ounces, that might be one place to look at. On the other hand, it is almost double the price of the Head Down rail you have already, so it would be an expensive few ounces!

I also love your Magpul CTR stock. I bought one in black when I had the DD rail on, and then another one in FDE when I switched to the Troy Alpha VTAC. (I am not that bright, but my credit card company loves me.) I even tried a mess of grips before I found one I liked. Tried the Hogue, Magpul MOE and then settled on the Magpul MIAD. (And, of course, had to get one in FDE and one in black in case I ever switch back to the DD rail.)

Yup. Hardtrailz said it best. ARs are legos for big boys.

No need to apologize, I've done a lot of researching into poly lowers after I got my AR and I know they fail all the time, mine has already, but not a catastrophic failure like breaking near the buffer tube. I looked at that VTAC rail, found out iit's just 8.60oz for the 9" version, which would be the counterpart to the Head Down rail I have that's 9". That weighs 13.1oz. Yeah I would like to eventuallt have a lot of lightweight parts, but as of now without the Aimpoint sight or my bipod grip on, it feels really light. I'll have to get an electronic scale that i can properly weigh it on. I'm curious as to how much my AR weighs as of right now. And yes I do love my Magpul stock, feels much better than the standard collasable stock. Cheek sits much more still and just feel better. Probably going to take the bipod grip off and only use it if I'm going to be shooting prone. The 3, 6, 9 o'clock positions on this rail are only at the very end and it does not feel comfortable having a grip out that far. On my M4 at work, I have either my normal vertical grip somewhere in the middle, can't do that with this rail, and if I add a keymod picatanny rail, that just defeats the purpose of continuing to lose weight on my AR.

They really are. I have no need for a new muzzle brake but keep looking for one.

Speaking of muzzle brakes Kyle, I watched 2 videos last night on YouTube, from the same guy comparing 50+* different types of muzzles. He had it set up on a rest with a ruler by its side taped down. He shot 2 rounds for each muzzle to get an average and measured the distance of the recoil as well as slo-mo capturing any muzzle blast. It was an interesting test. Here are the kids. I personally would like the Strike Industries JCOMP brake. Its $27 and ranked 14 on the list. I can't justify spending $89 on the higher ranked muzzle brakes because they only reduced the recoil maybe 2, 2 1/5 inches more than the JCOMP. I'm not trying to spend a fortune on such a small part, imporrant yes, but small.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Let the fun begin :biggrin:
Screenshot_2016-01-01-14-10-12.jpeg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Got my new selector switches in the mail today, went with an ambi setup since i'm a lefty shooter
IMG_20160104_200221.jpg IMG_20160104_200226.jpg IMG_20160104_203125.jpg IMG_20160104_203139.jpg IMG_20160104_203159.jpg IMG_20160104_205937.jpg IMG_20160104_205958.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Received my 500 rounds of WPA ammo
IMG_20160106_105844.jpg IMG_20160106_105930.jpg

Just a comparison between 5.56 NATO Ball type (which we use in the army), Independence 5.56 55gr. FMJ, & WPA Polyformance .223 Rem 55gr. Steel Case
IMG_20160106_110103.jpg

Reactions: triz and dmanns67

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I'm right handed, but heavily left eye dominate. I like that the Seekins has the option of 60* (45* would be better). I also ordered a Seekins bolt catch and have their mag release button.

danj

Sep 29, 2014
Alright guys. I need some suggestions. It looks like everyone is pretty much building their own tactical style rifle. Is it a matter of price, quality, or both. I know very little about this stuff so forgive my ignorance.

I want to build/buy something that will work up close, but can still reach out and touch something at 400 yards. Suggestions?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They are like adult legos. Fun to play with. Either route is good for your wants. Buy a basic rifle or you can save a lil bit and build what you like. You may save 100-150 on a basic build

danj

Sep 29, 2014
You mean regular Legos aren't for adults?

Anyone have any links for the best places to shop for pieces to build a .223?
I'm hoping to build something in the $600-$800 range. I can put anything together. I just don't know where to start looking.

Reactions: Robbabob

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You mean regular Legos aren't for adults?

Anyone have any links for the best places to shop for pieces to build a .223?
I'm hoping to build something in the $600-$800 range. I can put anything together. I just don't know where to start looking.
Honestly the best way is to just shop around for all the parts for a build on many sites that sell/produce AR parts. Read on forums or watch YouTube review videos on components to see what the consensus is about a particular piece. Thats how I went about planning my next build, which is on hold for a while.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Alright guys. I need some suggestions. It looks like everyone is pretty much building their own tactical style rifle. Is it a matter of price, quality, or both. I know very little about this stuff so forgive my ignorance.

I want to build/buy something that will work up close, but can still reach out and touch something at 400 yards. Suggestions?

I built this ar this winter through black friday!! What you see here plus another magpul 30rd p-mag for about $450!

Palmetto state armory.com

Premium BCG got it on sale for $69 bucks! Shipped it ended up being like $90.

Complete blem lower no mag $129 shipped!

Upper minus BCG $189 shipped. Its a melanite finish barrel 16".

Then i bought a couple 30rd p-mags and a charging handle for $40!

I got the magpul m-bus from a friend for free!

This is my first ar build so i didn't want nor have the money to go all out on a super high end gun.

Then my taxes came in and i put an Bushnell 223 1-4x24 optic, Mounted on a Burris pepr qd mount. I put Magpul furniture minus the stock. Also had to have a green laser!! Sighted it in a few weeks ago and was hitting 6" plates from a good 60-70 yards!! (from the hip with the laser!) My buddy was freaking out abut the accuracy with the laser. We must have went through a good 200 rounds lol. Sorry the pics are kind of grainy. My phone sucks! Ill try to get some better ones!

Attachments

• IMG_20151129_115343176.jpg
    IMG_20151129_115343176.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160330_202658667.jpg
    IMG_20160330_202658667.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: dmanns67 and Sib

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
I have a small glock addiction I've been told also!

G17 on the left 9mm. G30 on the right .45

Monday was fun. AR soda can launcher on a pistol lower. Launching full cans a couple hundred yards or seeing them smash into a stump is pretty cool.

Wtf no way!! I want one of those!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160124_121044465~2.jpg
    IMG_20160124_121044465~2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Debating on a lower so I can finish the .300 blackout build. Basic or something different???

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I say go with a cheap stripped lower, like a palmetto state one

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Prolly just get an Anderson

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
So... After nearly 17 years of marriage, and growing my kids to 16 and 13, my wife has reconciled with her reservations about having a gun in the house. We've discussed at length the pros and cons of bringing a firearm into the house, and my wife has come around to my way of thinking. I've recently purchased a brand new M&P shield 9mm, and will be signing up for concealed carry classes soon. Only issue now is getting my hands on enough ammunition, and trying to figure out when I'm going to get the Glock 19 I want!

Inferno333

Oct 9, 2014
That is a great choice for a carry gun. I have multiple M&P9's that I use for work and off-duty. I currently use a M&P9c for off duty. I'd love to get a Shield 9mm.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
So... After nearly 17 years of marriage, and growing my kids to 16 and 13, my wife has reconciled with her reservations about having a gun in the house. We've discussed at length the pros and cons of bringing a firearm into the house, and my wife has come around to my way of thinking. I've recently purchased a brand new M&P shield 9mm, and will be signing up for concealed carry classes soon. Only issue now is getting my hands on enough ammunition, and trying to figure out when I'm going to get the Glock 19 I want!

I just picked up a Shield 9 not too long ago. Great firearm! I also have a Glock 19. The Glock may be my winter carry, as it's a little too wide for an IWB carry...at least for me. But in winter time, I can wear an OWB holster and throw a light coat on to conceal it.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
I went back and forth between the Glock 19 and the Shield. Deciding factor was actually my wife... I told her once I get my CCW, if I'm not carrying it, it'll be at home with her, and I wanted to make sure that she could handle and control it. She's a small woman (4'11") and has small hands. Frankly, I was kind of excited to find a semi-automatic that she could handle proficiently. The double stacks all just too big for her hands. Eventually, when she gets her CCW and starts to carry herself, I'll buy her a .38 special. Revolvers just seem to fit her hands better.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Been a member for a little while just checking thru the site and found this thread. Although I did not read thru the 24 pages. Firearms stuff is fun to read and share about. I have a pile of guns. None are a more or less special to me they all have a purpose and get used. If not they get sold. I just loaded 500 rounds of 9mm for practice today. They will be gone in a month or so. Because the latest purchase was 3 weeks about. Glock 26.
I use guns for work, play, self defense and hunting. I hand load all my guns except of course the .22s and .380 calibers. Work guns use factory ammo except when I shoot them on my time. I have been in police work since 1981 and retired from full time in 2011. A few months later I was hired to work PT at a city PD in the traffic division. I get to sit in a photo radar van 2 days a week and no longer make arrests or take calls. And I get paid. That money supports diesel fuel for RVing, boat gas for fishing and more bullets to shoot. Life cannot get much better.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Always been a fan of muzzleloaders and snagged a new one with Black Friday.

I have an old CVA Bobcat I started with. Then I bumper to a Traditions BuckHunter Pro in stainless, but for some reason it seemed to fight me and never left me really enjoying owning it. It shoots good and took out a couple deer for me, but even with the 209 conversion and scoping it...I wanted something else for few years.

So Black Friday the wife drags me and the kids out. I decide to at least go take a look for myself and drop the 3 girls at Target and take the boy to Dunhams Sports with me. See an add for a basic break-action CVA Wolf rifle. Then see the ad has a bit more $ and I can get the Optima in stainless. So i ask to see one and boom---out of stock, BUT he says he will upgrade me for same price. So i ask to what and he brings me out a CVA Optima V@ in camo with the thumbhole stock and a nitrided barrel and their proprietary scope mount and Konus Pro 275 scope. A substantially more expensive weapon. Well...it made it way home and now I need to work out a good load for it.

But picture cause we all like pics...

now I keep an eye out for the pistol version to pair it with, but dont want to give over 250 for one.

Anyone else shoot powder?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Finally found this thread, picked myself up a Taurus pt111 millennium g2 for Christmas.

20161223_234439_HDR_zpswhrjq1ph.jpg

20161223_234352_HDR_zpsvcombemx.jpg

Got a set of fiber optic sights and an aftermarket stainless steel guide rod / recoil spring to replace the failure prone stock plastic one. Shoots good and haven't had an issue with it yet.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like those. I held one for a couple years for a buddy and kinda wish i had just bought it off him. Now he wont part with it.

Reactions: Mounce

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
My little piece.
And the Best Known sound in the Whole Wide World is that of a pump shot gun being loaded. Discharge is immediately afterwards.upload_2017-1-6_11-1-59.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: hrddrv and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I like those. I held one for a couple years for a buddy and kinda wish i had just bought it off him. Now he wont part with it.

Taurus gets a bad wrap for their past but from what I hear their new lines of pistols are top notch. Much more affordable than a glock (around $200 less). I'm happy with it and ccw permit will be in a few weeks from now. Finishing up mods on it so I'll post that later.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Finished mods

Opted for the stainless finish on the recoil spring assembly instead of black like stock to break up the all black look and to kinda match the barrel. Swapped it for aftermarket because of it being the main failure point in these and having a plastic end holding one of the springs let's the spring walk over it after enough use. Aftermarket is stainless steel.

Before

20170105_195203_HDR_zps3ftddhpr.jpg

And after

20170105_200721_HDR_zpsykl2e888.jpg

Sights were tedious to get straight but they're on and I like them so far, just need to try em out. They're anodized aluminum instead of plastic like stock.

Before

20170105_195141_HDR_zpsddganytc_edit_1483828968969_zpsmb9xjemv.jpg

After

20170106_204304_HDR-1_zpsb9jktb0i.jpg

20170106_204524_HDR-1_zps1plmodpd.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Anybody use gun grease? I feel it would work much better in the slide rails and a couple other places than oil. Currently I'm using remoil and it seems to work fine, just think it'd be better for areas with less movement and force. In my mind grease would mostly stay where I want it compared to oil flinging off within a few shots.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Anybody use gun grease? I feel it would work much better in the slide rails and a couple other places than oil. Currently I'm using remoil and it seems to work fine, just think it'd be better for areas with less movement and force. In my mind grease would mostly stay where I want it compared to oil flinging off within a few shots.
I've always used CLP for quick and dirty cleaning, but I've been impressed by FrogLube's paste they make. You wipe on a thin layer, heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, it melts and soaks into the pores of the metal, then you wipe it off. It smells good, too! Here are their directions.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have always had good luck with CLP. FrogLube looks interesting. I may have to get some and try it out. I wish I could be at the SHOT show this week...

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Really different guns and their parts need different kinds of lube to work best. CLP works great on most stuff. On the semi auto you show. I would clean it and oil or CLP every time you shoot it and it should be fine. If you shoot hundreds and hundreds before cleaning, please don't. But, if that's you a grease will work better on the slide. lightly applied. I use CLP mostly and where needed use a grease. I will shoot 50 to several hundred at a time. I always clean a gun after shooting it. The photo shows copper build up in the barrel. I keep copper cleaned out as much as possible. For that shooters choice will work. Other cleaners work good also. Look for a product that will remove copper fouling not all gun cleaning solvents do that. Kind of a trick about applying a lube or grease. Put it on your finger and wipe a small amount onto the surface. If your finger cannot get to the part. Put it on a Qtip and apply. When spraying or dripping stuff onto the gun you will get to much on or in it and just need to wipe a lot off. I was a range master for 6 years. And 2 things about semi auto handguns and lube. I could see the guns with to much lube as it was outside the gun. I could hear to little lube, normally no lube, when we had shooters rack the slides. With 20 to 25 guys racking slides no lube guns are making different sounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175