Explain your username to us

OctaneRider03

Well-Known Member
#81
Octane was my call-sign over the radio during my first deployment to Afghanistan. I had a wicked way of using cherry-red, highly flammable fuel for entertainment as a remedy for those everlasting dull moments we all experienced over there. Setting things ablaze made my days and nights go by faster for some reason.

Rider partially comes from one of my other hobbies, motocross. I ride an 07' Yamaha YZ450F special edition and it's been my baby for years.

03 comes from my MOS (job description) in the Marines. I've been an 0311 for the last four years, 0311 stands for Infantry Rifleman. 03 signifies "Infantry" related MOS's. For example 0331 stands for Machine Gunner, 0341 stands for Mortarman, 0351 stands for Assaultman etc etc...
 

TangoBravo

Well-Known Member
#82
19Delta was my original MOS in the Army, but I've been whored out to so many other things during my stent that I'm very far away from the badass Scout I use to be.
 

OctaneRider03

Well-Known Member
#83
Haha, I hear that.. When I see your name pop up I automatically think "Thanks Bro!" -Octane
 

TangoBravo

Well-Known Member
#84
Yeah I guess I should have threw that in there. But Tangobravo us just because I drive a TB. I wanted 19Delta like my other forum names but for some reason couldnt get it when I signed up at the OS. And when I switched over to ortb I thought it might too confusing to change names.
 

Sputnik312

Active Member
#85
Mines rather interesting.... When I was about 7 we had new neighbors move in across the street( who had kids the same age as me) and when they first met me the one kid said" that guy really looks like a Sputnik" lol and too this day we still joke about it. I'm still wondering why he thought I looked like a Russian Satellite though lol
 

ksimm92

Well-Known Member
#86
mine is pretty boring, K Is the first letter of my first name, SIMM Is part of my last name, 92 Is the year I was born = KSIMM92 :cool:
 
#87
Raditude

Radical Attitude


Been using this handle and nickname since 2001. It became part of the name of my company: Raditude Forever Productions.
 

Hypnotoad

Well-Known Member
#88
Raditude said:
Raditude

Radical Attitude


Been using this handle and nickname since 2001. It became part of the name of my company: Raditude Forever Productions.
I thought it was from my favorite band Weezer's album, Raditude. Love the name.

My name comes from the show Futurama. All hail Hypnotoad!
 
#89
Hypnotoad said:
I thought it was from my favorite band Weezer's album, Raditude. Love the name.

My name comes from the show Futurama. All hail Hypnotoad!
I hate Weezer for stealing my name. You used to be able to type "Raditude" into Google, and all the results were mine. Now only one of them is. It really puts a damper on business.

What's this thing about the Hypno... All Glory to the Hypnotoad.
 

Wishbone

Well-Known Member
#90
jrSS said:
Well....my voy is "silver", the"n" is short for and, and the "clean" is for the look I have and wanna keep. Hence the name silvernclean.
This looks funny now, since the name change...

Wishbone is my original CB Radio handle dating back to about 1975.
 

hockeyman

Silver Supporter
#92
Is the OP still watching this thread, or are we just pissing in the wind (at current time) by explaining what our names mean??

If pissing in the wind:
My name means I like a professional sport ...which will probably be non-existent this year on TV. :hissyfit:

[edit]
Sorry, drunk post :wink:
 

TangoBravo

Well-Known Member
#93
hockeyman said:
Is the OP still watching this thread, or are we just pissing in the wind (at current time) by explaining what our names mean??

If pissing in the wind:
My name means I like a professional sport ...which will probably be non-existent this year on TV. :hissyfit:

[edit]
Sorry, drunk post :wink:
No appologies needed. Anyone who follows hockey knows it's a far better sport then most anything else on TV. Arguements welcome. :wink:
 

Voymom

Well-Known Member
#94
TangoBravo said:
No appologies needed. Anyone who follows hockey knows it's a far better sport then most anything else on TV. Arguements welcome. :wink:
No arguments here! Hockey is my life...and I am just as bummed about the damned lockout as everyone else.

To stay on topic- I'm a mom and I own an Envoy :raspberry:
 
#95
Civilian, pilot call sign. Dreamed up while building my RV6, (1st flight 11/7/1999 -know I was patriotic well before 9/11) and I've been using NYFlapjack2 forever since.

See my lil Viper tribute was painted and marked as (then) current NY 174th TFW's F16's. Complete with the unit's tail artwork, scaled MK82's under wings and even bullet strafe battle damages. I was often working along side with another concurrent RV6-builder-pilot, who was full time 174th. We often dreamed while hammering out our respective 16.500 rivets of doing formation flights to the fly in pancake breakfasts.

Anyhow when he returned from one of his middle east deployments he had a gift for me. He had a few hand made embroidered custom artwork flight suit patches made up, where as the NY "Flapjack Squadron" - "in the pursuit of pancakes" was created. He also had similar velcro backed flight suit ready embroidered name tag patches with our call signs made. Where he was FJ-1 and I was FJ-2. See the bottom 2 patches in attached photo.

In the other photo .... in relevance to GMTnation......my TB that's "Born from Jets" and my other ride that was born from me.....
 

Attachments

C-ya

Well-Known Member
#96
C-ya was what I wanted to have for a vanity license plate when I got my '95 CBR900RR, but I decided that a vanity plate would make me easier to ID should I decide to be, shall we say, less than safe/smart? It was to be taken as "C-ya later!" Some forums don't me use the dash, so it ends up "CYA" or "Cya", which some folks think it is "cover your a$$". I have used this nick on forums since I found my first one in '98 - an SKS board. Oh yeah, I did start using it on IRC in '96. Worked out rather well to say /me later! when leaving a room.
 
#97
dmanlyr came about well before the Internet was opened up, it was my old BBS name. I wanted drmanly (For David R Manly) but it was taken on the digital computer corporation (DEC) computer bulitain board service, so it became dmanlyr

You all remember DEC don't you? They had the 1960's to early 70's PDP series and had the FIRST 64 bit chip for the consumer market, although the high end for sure, with the digital Alpha chip (sorry AMD you were second to market, not the first!). Heck, even AMD licensed the digital EV bus for there slot Athlon CPU's.

Anyways, I digress.... Since then for the last 20 + years I have always used dmanlyr as not only my user name, but also as me email name. You can even find me on Ebay as dmanlyr!

David
 

geoturtle

Well-Known Member
#98
dmanlyr said:
dmanlyr came about well before the Internet was opened up, it was my old BBS name. I wanted drmanly (For David R Manly) but it was taken on the digital computer corporation (DEC) computer bulitain board service, so it became dmanlyr

You all remember DEC don't you? They had the 1960's to early 70's PDP series and had the FIRST 64 bit chip for the consumer market, although the high end for sure, with the digital Alpha chip (sorry AMD you were second to market, not the first!). Heck, even AMD licensed the digital EV bus for there slot Athlon CPU's.

Anyways, I digress.... Since then for the last 20 + years I have always used dmanlyr as not only my user name, but also as me email name. You can even find me on Ebay as dmanlyr!

David
Welcome aboard.

PIP *.CBL /LI

I worked IT support for several years in a 9-1-1 center that had two PDP11/70s running RSX-11M; each had a 9-track & a RP06. Terminals were LSI ADM2s.
 

cjceg1985

Well-Known Member
#99
Cj is one of my nicknames the c is also for my first name j for middle name last name starts with ceg and i was born in 1985.
 

The_Roadie

Founding Member
Lifetime VIP Supporter
dmanlyr said:
You all remember DEC don't you?
Sure do. Around 1967-8, the company I started work for in 1973 (Teradyne in Boston) was DEC's largest PDP8 OEM. But we needed an 18-bit machine for our own reasons, and DEC wasn't willing to do a custom, so we rolled our own CPU. 4K core memory arrays were huge. Had a LOT of friends in the science fiction club (NESFA) who worked in Maynard. The golden age of Massachusetts-based minicomputers. My start-up after Teradyne ran a VAX-11/780 mainframe running UNIX from 1983-1988 or so.
 

6716

Well-Known Member
The town I live in sits at the intersection of two state highways, 67 and 16.

Back when I only really figured on being a Trailvoy lurker to find answers to a couple of questions, and I needed a username to see the fancy pictures ... and then to ask a couple of questions .... 6716 seemed as non-committal/non-descriptive as I could come up with.

It was my "Oh, you want a username?" username.

And then, since I had such a massive body of work established over there once I overcame my shyness (no, really, search it on the OS) I figured I'd stick with it here, so I would get mad props when I switched over.

Which is pretty much how it has gone.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.
 

Wishbone

Well-Known Member
the roadie said:
Sure do. Around 1967-8, the company I started work for in 1973 (Teradyne in Boston) was DEC's largest PDP8 OEM. But we needed an 18-bit machine for our own reasons, and DEC wasn't willing to do a custom, so we rolled our own CPU. 4K core memory arrays were huge. Had a LOT of friends in the science fiction club (NESFA) who worked in Maynard. The golden age of Massachusetts-based minicomputers. My start-up after Teradyne ran a VAX-11/780 mainframe running UNIX from 1983-1988 or so.
My main responsibility at work is still managing a 3-node CI based OpenVMS cluster. AlphaServers are still my mainstay. An optional username and past vanity license plate for me is CMKRNL. :tongue:
 
geoturtle said:
Welcome aboard.

PIP *.CBL /LI

I worked IT support for several years in a 9-1-1 center that had two PDP11/70s running RSX-11M; each had a 9-track & a RP06. Terminals were LSI ADM2s.
Thank you, I been spending quite a bit of time just reading past posts.

To be honest, I joined the *other* web site first, same user name, it just seemed that this site was teh one to go to though...

I am not paticualry new to the GMT platform, I use to own a Envoy Denali (sold it at 27k miles) and the Bravada I own currently I have not had for long, so I am still a newbie. I do have a soft spot for Olds, I have driven the 98's for years (not the regular pedestrian standard sedans, but the in Touring sedan form, last was a 1992 with the supercharged 3.8)

PDP's, especialy the older PDP-8's are worth there weight again, if they are complete and working that is. It is easy to find a piece of hardware, but finding someone who understands the system, can assemble the parts and can program it to where you have a workable system seems to be the hard part. Most of the people that grew up with these in the 60's like my father have passed on now, and for so many years they were considered paperweights before newer hobbiest's fouond the desire to dabble in them.

The oldest compuer that I have is a old Kaypro II that I dig out now and then and show what can be done with a 2 mhz zilog cpu and 64k of ram.... I am lucky in that I was able to dig up a CP/M OS / word star / etc that was compatible with the paticular ROM in my paticular machine. While many years I spent some time programing software for the CP/M machines, it definatly took me a bit of time to remember my old tricks!

Sad to say though, with enough time, even all of the knowledge on the GMT platform will all be forgotten but for a few. I see that already with the total misunderstanding of many people on the many programing limits of the PCM on the early 4.2's.

David
 
Wishbone said:
My main responsibility at work is still managing a 3-node CI based OpenVMS cluster. AlphaServers are still my mainstay. An optional username and past vanity license plate for me is CMKRNL. :tongue:
AlphaServers are getting quite rare these days. I never did much with VMS or UNIX for that matter. I moved from CP/M to DOS / Windows fairly early.

I did spend some time with the early versions of Sun Solaris, I at one time had a side business providing hobbiests with a turn key Sun Solaris system. Same with the Indigo systems that I came up with, at one time for a turn key system there was some hobbiest interest.

On the 064/164 Alpha chip, I ran the NT (3.51 & 4.0) versions myself, both workstations and servers. One thing I missed out on was the testing of windows 2000 Alpha ported beta release. I have spend many a hour searching for it, but even some insider friends at Microsoft coud not find it on the MS servers. I guess it may have gone to Compaq when they aquired the Alpha chips from digital. I really wanted to play with this prerelease candidate on the 264 chip. Shame that MS went with the Itanium based systems and ported the software for those systems. Underperformers for sure.

David
 

6716

Well-Known Member
dmanlyr said:
The oldest compuer that I have is a old Kaypro II
The Kaypro II? Now even I can join the old-time tech discussion. It was our first home computer, I was in grade school... maybe middle school. Had the old analog modem with the cups so I could do a little BBS-ing. Did the school work on Word Star.

Not that I ever got past programming in BASIC.

Pardon the interruption.

Carry on.
 
6716 said:
The Kaypro II? Now even I can join the old-time tech discussion. It was our first home computer, I was in grade school... maybe middle school. Had the old analog modem with the cups so I could do a little BBS-ing. Did the school work on Word Star.

Not that I ever got past programming in BASIC.

Pardon the interruption.

Carry on.
Yup, that was the machine of the day, Hank Hills wife in that king of the hill cartoon satire even had a Kaypro that she did the house budget on....

I figure that pretty soon someone will remind us though that this is a car forum.....

David
 

6716

Well-Known Member
dmanlyr said:
I figure that pretty soon someone will remind us though that this is a car forum.....
Nah, we're in the lounge. You can even talk about your Bigfoot sightings in here.
 

Wishbone

Well-Known Member
6716 said:
Nah, we're in the lounge. You can even talk about your Bigfoot sightings in here.
Although this thread is about describing your username. This conversation should probably go to a new thread somewhere else.:biggrin:
 

gmcman

Well-Known Member
blazinlow89 said:
First truck I had when I joined a forum (mys10.com) was my 89 Blazer. So Blazin, I dropped is as low as I could stock, low and it was an 89. blazinlow89. It kind of stuck from forum to forum.

Other than that I was born in 86' and my name is Josh.

When I saw you were from Md, I thought for a moment you could have owned a S-10 I once saw at a World Of Wheels show at the convention center....until I noticed your birth year.

I will always remember that truck...it was on the ground and had Md plates.....it read: 1LOMOFO :biggrin:
 

gmcman

Well-Known Member
Well, "GMCMAN" was really a spur of the moment screename from the OS and I figured I would just keep it only to reference my other posts. I wanted to go with a new name related to helicopters (one of my passions although I have only had solo stick time in a cessna) or something firearm related for this site but figured what the heck....keep it the same.

I have always had a passion for cars, engines, anything that has moving parts. I started out with a love for GM ....Pontiac's mainly, GTO's, Trans Am's, etc and I have never had a moment with a GM car that made me just throw up my arms and say enough's enough. I have found swear words that never existed but I keep coming back...:biggrin:

Every manufacturer has their quirks, but GM has always developed platforms that work well and still work well, despite some squeaks on the older models.

So basically I'm a guy who is a big fan of GM.
 

blazinlow89

Well-Known Member
gmcman said:
When I saw you were from Md, I thought for a moment you could have owned a S-10 I once saw at a World Of Wheels show at the convention center....until I noticed your birth year.

I will always remember that truck...it was on the ground and had Md plates.....it read: 1LOMOFO :biggrin:
Lol it never reached show car status. Won a few under construction awards tough. I also placed second in the regionals in a sound competition.
 

Techhead

Active Member
Techhead...

I have used this moniker since my early days surfing the World Wide Web when there were no pictures. :redface: Yes folks (some of ya) there was a time when surfin was all texted base. :yes:

Even though I dispise working on computer stuff now, it's what I do.
 
Contractor for first home had this as part of their name. We later used it for our kennel name while breeding and showing purebreed Rough Collies.

While I no longer exhibit, due to high costs to do so :eek:, or breed, due to dealing with ignorant public who do not understand that owning a dog requires same responsibility as having a child :lipsrsealed: (although I also question how many even understand the responsibility to having children these days :hissyfit:), I continue to use this handle.

For those who may not have guessed by now it is *NOT* because of the contractor. :thumbsup:
 

Showtyme

Well-Known Member
It is a self appointed nickname from about the 8th grade. I played alot of street ball as a teen and everybody had a nickname. Nobody has called me that since back in the day but i always use it for all screen names.

P.S. Your not cool unless you replace your i's with y's.
 

Default User

Well-Known Member
Every vehicle I drive, I join a forum. Problem is - I get bored with my vehicles too quickly. On average - Ive gone through a different vehicle every 2 years, so needless to say - I'm on a lot of forums.

At first, I had forum-specific names/passwords. But after having gone through 3 cars in 2 years, it was difficult trying to remember each user name and password. So it was easier to go with one "default user" name on all the forums I was on. You'll probably see me on 4-5 different forums currently.
 
Default User said:
Every vehicle I drive, I join a forum. Problem is - I get bored with my vehicles too quickly. On average - Ive gone through a different vehicle every 2 years, so needless to say - I'm on a lot of forums.

At first, I had forum-specific names/passwords. But after having gone through 3 cars in 2 years, it was difficult trying to remember each user name and password. So it was easier to go with one "default user" name on all the forums I was on. You'll probably see me on 4-5 different forums currently.
I got to be on at least a dozen, but all use the same name basically.
 

Latest posts

Top Bottom