Code Scanners ?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Waiting for the Ebay seller to get back to me with a full refund. Tried to get me to take a partial refund and I said no.

After I get the refund I'm going to Amazon where that I can read reviews and more accurately pick one instead of guessing on Ebay.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
After browsing Amazon, I decided to pony up a few more bucks and get the bafx device that I've seen people idolize for working so well. Went to buy it and realized they wanted over $6 for shipping... :no:

Looked on Ebay again and found the bafx module there with free shipping and just ordered it. I will update with whether it works or not.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251488093341&alt=web

-also, I saw a review on Amazon mentioning it doesn't have a sleep mode so it's always on even with ignition off but they took it apart and added a toggle switch to be able to turn it on and off without unplugging it. I might just do that since I just got some toggle switches the other day.

Reactions: mcsteven and Sib

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
After browsing Amazon, I decided to pony up a few more bucks and get the bafx device that I've seen people idolize for working so well. Went to buy it and realized they wanted over $6 for shipping... :no:

Looked on Ebay again and found the bafx module there with free shipping and just ordered it. I will update with whether it works or not.

-also, I saw a review on Amazon mentioning it doesn't have a sleep mode so it's always on even with ignition off but they took it apart and added a toggle switch to be able to turn it on and off without unplugging it. I might just do that since I just got some toggle switches the other day.

Don't get mad when it does not work :raspberry:

Mine has a "sleep" mode. After 600 seconds of inactivity, it will shut off. There are indicator lights on the BAFX that will visually show as well.

Reactions: Mounce

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mine does the same thing. I just have to cycle my Bluetooth off and back on to restart it. I used to restart my tablet until I figured that out. I never turn my tablet off because it takes about 4 min to completely boot up AND pickup the Bluetooth signal. Lol

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, I got the BAFX adapter yesterday and I'm pleased to say it works great. Tried it on three vehicles so far. 04 TB, 04 Tahoe, and a 98 Mustang and it's worked fine on all three.

For anyone that stumbles across this in the future:

I would recommend to go ahead and get the BAFX unit. Yes, it's a little more pricey than the others but in the end, it works as desired. If you want to try the cheaper ones then by all means, go for it. But if you're not in to inoperative devices, spring for the BAFX ELM327. :tiphat:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a pair of the cheaper and one of the BAFX and can not tell a difference honestly. I grap whichever is closest and they all seem to work in any vehicle I have tried.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
joe mama said:
I have a ScanGuage II, great little device I bought several years ago, but usually I keep the insurance company's device plugged in as it saves me a nice bit of money (thanks USAA). Thinking about buying a splitter. Anyone have any experience with something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Splitter-J1962M-2-J1962F-145802/dp/B000TMCX72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430420927&sr=8-1&keywords=obdii+splitter+y+cable
I was gonna get one of those, but didn't want to spend that much money on it. My solution, hit up a junk yard, found another GMT360 (could probably be from a lot of other vehicles too) and snipped the wires on the OBDII connector. Spliced in the 4 wires to my existing harness behind the knee bolster plate. Ran the cord for my SGII under the radio stack, behind the knee bolster, and plugged into the extra OBDII connector for a semi permanent install. That leaves the factory location clear for my bluetooth adapter. Best of all, only cost me like $1 :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never even thought of that, but can see the usefuleness

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
joe mama said:
I have a ScanGuage II, great little device I bought several years ago, but usually I keep the insurance company's device plugged in as it saves me a nice bit of money (thanks USAA). Thinking about buying a splitter. Anyone have any experience with something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Splitter-J1962M-2-J1962F-145802/dp/B000TMCX72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430420927&sr=8-1&keywords=obdii+splitter+y+cable
Read the reviews on that cable, lots of physically bulky and hangs down from the dash, also lots of will not work with two scanners at once. I doubt it may work if both scanners try connect to PCM at the same time. I believe PCM will lock out one of them if the other gets access. The insurance one is probably logging speed, RPM, throttle position and brake on/off probably continuously or every fey seconds if it's trying to catch an accident. If you try a splitter please post the results.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bobdec said:
... will not work with two scanners at once. I doubt it may work if both scanners try connect to PCM at the same time. ...
I would be upset if that was the case. I can confirm, the route I took, I use Torque Pro and my SGII simultaneously all the time, with no problems. :twocents:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mounce said:

Got mine today. After three or four attempts with cheaper ones I ponied up a few more dollars. Plugged it in, connected to Bluetooth, opened the app, started the truck and, BAM, I am up and running. Thanks for the review Mounce!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441095115.978807.jpg

I added a few gauges but will take some time to really set it up the way I want.

Question for any of the 4.2 owners or geeks: it did not appear that I could get an oil pressure reading. I know that my truck's current gauge is really just showing the results of a pressure switch (is it above 12 psi or not). I didn't yet have time to research the Internet for it but was wondering if any of you have specifics. Finally, let's see your layouts. I want some ideas.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've never heard of a legit oil pressure gauge/sensor that you can monitor through a scanner. Make sure you download the Pontiac / GM / Opel PID set/list though so all gauges possible will work.

Glad you got up and running though. :wooot: My "dashboard" is nothing special and not even set up for the TB because I only drive it about 5 times a month lately lol.

Screenshot_2015-09-01-03-23-50_zpswryfir2u.png

-Interesting, got on ebay to look at the one I purchased (been using it on friends' rides a lot recently and couldn't remember how much it cost) and it appears that the seller I bought from is either carrying a fake now or bafx updated the front label.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BAFX-ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-2-CAN-V1-5-Scan-Tool-Android-OBD-Reader-Scanner-/251488093341?hash=item3a8ddbc49d&item=251488093341&vxp=mtr

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mounce - do you (or any of the folks) unplug the ELM adapter when you're not driving? I got up this morning, put my key in, turned it, and had nothing. I opened the door and noticed it did not have the open door chime. I turned the key back and it wouldn't turn all the way, capturing the key in the cylinder. No display on the radio, it wouldn't let me take it out of park, etc. I tried wiggling the key, checked all the fusible links, checked the terminal connections to the battery (they were fine and the battery is only about 18 months old), etc. found nothing. Called to have it trucked into a repair shop. I asked him to first try to jumpstart it. He put the booster pack on and it started normally. I wanted to make sure the key would come out. He took the booster pack off, I shut it off, key came out, key in, started normally. This was after only a minute or two of running so I don't think it was a discharged battery. I know this could also be an issue with the ignition switch. I was wondering since it happened the morning after I plugged in the reader and didn't unplug it.

Anyone?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I leave mine plugged in as well, always have. The fact that the key wouldn't allow you to take it out of the cylinder (along with no door chimes or dome lights) means dead battery, not ignition switch.. Your situation sounds a lot like mine a couple weeks back. Battery just went dead one weekend. Got it jumped, and it's been fine ever since. :confused:

Reactions: mcsteven and Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It uses as much power as a phone charger so an overnight with it plugged in won't kill it. You either have a drain somewhere, bad battery or alternator.

There is no oil pressure sensor so you can't get a reading. be sure to go into the settings and add the extra GM PIDs to be able to read transmission temperature.

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I leave mine plugged in as well, always have. The fact that the key wouldn't allow you to take it out of the cylinder (along with no door chimes or dome lights) means dead battery, not ignition switch.. Your situation sounds a lot like mine a couple weeks back. Battery just went dead one weekend. Got it jumped, and it's been fine ever since. :confused:
Hope that is all it is. Just the timing. I don't let it get too much on the RAP. One day a week ago I had to have it jumped as it was low, but I had been using the RAP for an hour or more. If it does it again I'll get it back to the store to load test the battery and replace if necessary.

Mooseman said:
It uses as much power as a phone charger so an overnight with it plugged in won't kill it. You either have a drain somewhere, bad battery or alternator.

There is no oil pressure sensor so you can't get a reading. be sure to go into the settings and add the extra GM PIDs to be able to read transmission temperature.
Alternator is good. I keep an eye on it and the ammeter was the first thing I added. I grabbed the GM/Opel, etc PIDs and have trans temp and more. I just was hoping to get oil pressure and or temp. Here's what I did so far. I think I'll separate them into multiple screens with larger views.
IMG_2964.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
After a whole lot of reading here I decided it was time to pony up and pick up the bafx obd2 scanner. I'm about sick and tired of running to autozone to get my codes reed. And the fact that they won't clear them after I do the repairs sucks balls. uploadfromtaptalk1441281059585.png

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
xavierny25 said:
After a whole lot of reading here I decided it was time to pony up and pick up the bafx obd2 scanner. I'm about sick and tired of running to autozone to get my codes reed. And the fact that they won't clear them after I do the repairs sucks balls.
attachicon.gif
Screenshot_2015-09-03-07-45-16.png
Have you gotten your code scanner yet?

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
mcsteven said:
Have you gotten your code scanner yet?
I sure did... sometime last week. Haven't had much time to play around with it. But it's attached to the rig waiting for me..... I did notice my temp was a bit low sitting at 190 after I drove it around for about 1hr and a half. To boot it's a brand new thermostate I put in 2 weeks ago. [emoji85]

Reactions: Capote

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Mounce said:
The thermostat is set for 190 iirc. You're good, double good if the gauge on the dash reads 210.
Heres an ignorant question and I see it alot on here What the hell is iirc?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
xavierny25 said:
Heres an ignorant question and I see it alot on here What the hell is iirc?
If I Remember/Recall Correctly.

Tip, if you see an acronym with a dotted underline, hover your mouse over it. You should see a pop up with the description. :thumbsup:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Blckshdw said:

Tip, if you see an acronym with a dotted underline, hover your mouse over it. You should see a pop up with the description. [emoji106]
I don't think I've been on my personal p.c or laptop since I've got my smartphone aka phablet. So I don't get that option. Lol. Thanks for the tip and break down. [emoji106]

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:

Tip, if you see an acronym with a dotted underline, hover your mouse over it. You should see a pop up with the description. :thumbsup:
Cool. I happened to know the acronym but I had thought the underlines were advertising popups. Thanks BS.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We have no such adverts here.Useless and annoying.

Not all acronyms are currently working though. Might need to reload them.

Reactions: xavierny25

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Well... ran into a snag with my eBay cheapo scanner... it works beautifully on can systems, works great on my 2014 express and my 2008 trailblazer, but would not connect to my in laws 2003 hummer h2... had to break out the Ole USB cable for that one.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well... ran into a snag with my eBay cheapo scanner... it works beautifully on can systems, works great on my 2014 express and my 2008 trailblazer, but would not connect to my in laws 2003 hummer h2... had to break out the Ole USB cable for that one.

You sure you're getting power to the OBD port?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Strange. My el cheapo ELM327 works great on my 02 TB. Can you post a pic of it or the eBay listing?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's the same one I've got. Works well on my 05 EXT, sent one to my dad and works on his 04 Ascender. :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine is like this one. Absolutely no issues.

elm327_bluetooth-1.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was a little indecisive about where to put this, but figured this might be the best spot since it's the most active thread. I know most of us who use mobile app scanners are accustomed to taking screen captures to share what's going on with our vehicles in forum posts. It dawned on me last night, we should be able to do video capturing, which would make it so much easier to show dynamic data. Looks like there are a number of apps out there that allow you to do exactly this. Dunno why I didn't think of it sooner. :duh:

The one I went with is called Rec (Screen Recorder) but it requires you to be rooted. There are a handful of other ones that don't require root, but I haven't tested them yet. Anyway, I recorded this 5 minute video of my morning commute. I had the O2 sensors, Fuel Trims, Speed, RPM, Coolant and Intake temps displayed. :coffee:

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I've got the same one Mooseman has but with WiFi instead of Bluetooth. I wanted that because it's easier to hack your own programs with that (no drivers or serial port emulation needed on your computer, it's just networking).
(just a proof of concept)

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not the scanner that is the problem but the software to access the data. Torque and other basic apps access only powertrain info and as such, will only read the one speed sensor from the tranny/transfer case. The others are for the ABS only (and Traction control and Stabilitrak if equipped).

Car Gauge Pro does read ABS error codes but I am not aware if it can read its live data. The only one I am certain of that can read all live data is the Tech 2. Other high end scanners like the Snap-On Solus or "red brick" probably can too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online