Code Scanners ?

coldman

Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hope this is the right place, if not mods please move. Looking to get a code scanner, don't want to break the bank but don't want a piece of crap either. Some suggestions please.

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Looking for a Code Reader? or a Scanner?

I have a Code Reader:
Actron CP9125...

cp9125-3.jpg

I got a few years ago while managing a used car lot,
simply to read for any urgent codes and to erase codes (turn SES Light off).
Although it was cheap, it's been accurate and has never failed me.

Scanners are much more expensive, yet provide much more info (more than I've ever needed).
However, now that I've got a gremlin in my TB, munching at my mpgs, I am considering forking out for a Scanner.

coldman

Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Not sure which one I need. Want to be able to read trouble codes and it would be nice to have some other operating data too.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
What about going with a ELM327 OBDII bluetooth dongle and use the Torque app for Android? You can read and clear codes with it. There is also a huge list of live data that you can view. Tranny temp, coolant temp, air intake temp, intake psi, fuel trims, etc.

The ELM327 and the Torque app will run you about $25-$30 depending on which dongle you buy. I picked mine up from Amazon.com.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you own an Android based phone or tablet, the most common recommendation is to get the Torque app (free for codes only, $5 for real time data) from the Google Play store, and buy an ODBII bluetooth adapter from Ebay or Amazon ($10-15)

I use Torque, and also have a Scangauge II which I like. There are a lot of threads on this topic, a quick search should turn up plenty of results of what other members use.

Edit: Scooped!

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
coldman said:
Old fart here boys, don't dongle.Hell I still have a flip phone.
You could always buy a cheap Android based tablet with bluetooth which will connect wirelessly to the ELM327. I guess depending on how cheap you could get the tablet, it might be cheaper just to go with a scan tool based on the Craftsman that you posted.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I got a scanner with basic live data functionality (doesn't display all possible data though, and it doesn't seem you can add your own PIDs to it to get them) for $100. Doesn't do ABS or SIR, though.

I'm already considering an upgrade (because I like expensive gadgets!) but the tool itself keeps me happy enough, I just like having as much bells and whistles as possible. Heck, I have 4 multimeters because of that :rotfl: and will eventually get a high-end brand one. The one I have is the Actron CP9575, got it at Advance Auto but they can be found on Amazon and other places, too.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
What about going with a ELM327 OBDII bluetooth dongle and use the Torque app for Android? You can read and clear codes with it. There is also a huge list of live data that you can view. Tranny temp, coolant temp, air intake temp, intake psi, fuel trims, etc.

The ELM327 and the Torque app will run you about $25-$30 depending on which dongle you buy. I picked mine up from Amazon.com.
+1 :Iagree:

Reactions: mcsteven

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I love my scangauge but the 327s I have in every vehicle are great assets as well

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
HARDTRAILZ said:
I love my scangauge but the 327s I have in every vehicle are great assets as well
can you recommend a specific bluetooth module? I have a usb based.. but it no longer works with my torque app due to android updates. looking for a bluetooth one that will work well.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
coolasice said:
can you recommend a specific bluetooth module? I have a usb based.. but it no longer works with my torque app due to android updates. looking for a bluetooth one that will work well.
I used to own this one, until I gave it to a friend.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostics Scanner + Data Logger for Android Devices

I now have this one.

Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostics Scanner Tool for Android

Edit: Wherever you choose to buy it, they are pretty much all the same for the most part.

Reactions: mcsteven

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine are all like his first link.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Blckshdw said:

I now have this one.

Edit: Wherever you choose to buy it, they are pretty much all the same for the most part.
This is the one I have had for almost two years. $24 on Amazon, plus free two day shipping if you have Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414518839&sr=8-2&keywords=elm+327

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Same as BlckShadow's 1st link with a different sticker. I have both and they are only different by sticker so buy whichever you can grab cheapest.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:

I now have this one.

I just got one from eBay like the 2nd one here. I restricted it to US based only. They shipped on the 28th and the USPS site shows it was delivered today. Return and guarantee, free shipping, and price was $8.99

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=300870978320

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Gents - any tricks to getting these to work? I've plugged mine in (2 different ones now) and neither says they are connecting to the ECU. Bought Torque Pro for Android, it connects via Bluetooth and shows up in the app, but they say not connecting to the ECU.

Thanks for any help.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
Gents - any tricks to getting these to work? I've plugged mine in (2 different ones now) and neither says they are connecting to the ECU. Bought Torque Pro for Android, it connects via Bluetooth and shows up in the app, but they say not connecting to the ECU.

Thanks for any help.
Have you checked fuse #13 in the engine bay fuse box? That fuse is also for the cigarette lighter ports. I believe it is a 20a fuse.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Have you checked fuse #13 in the engine bay fuse box? That fuse is also for the cigarette lighter ports. I believe it is a 20a fuse.
I haven't. The units are powering up as they are connecting with Bluetooth. Do you know or do you think they would be able to power up if the fuse was bad? (The hand hurts like hell still so trying to not do too much). I'll check it though in the morning if nothing else. Of course with the location of the interfaces I can't see the lights on the units.

Dammage

Oct 15, 2014
I'm having the same issue and my fuse #13 is good. Someone in another thread told me my ECM is probably bad.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
I haven't. The units are powering up as they are connecting with Bluetooth. Do you know or do you think they would be able to power up if the fuse was bad? (The hand hurts like hell still so trying to not do too much). I'll check it though in the morning if nothing else. Of course with the location of the interfaces I can't see the lights on the units.
If you ELM327 has lights on it and are lighting up then fuse #13 should be ok. It would not work if the fuse was blown. Have you tried it in another vehicle?
Dammage said:
I'm having the same issue and my fuse #13 is good. Someone in another thread told me my ECM is probably bad.
If fuse #13 is good, I would assume the issues is with the ELM327. Have you tried it in another vehicle?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
If you ELM327 has lights on it and are lighting up then fuse #13 should be ok. It would not work if the fuse was blown. Have you tried it in another vehicle?
If fuse #13 is good, I would assume the issues is with the ELM327. Have you tried it in another vehicle?
I can't tell if they are lighting up - I'll try to look tonight as the darkness will help. Testing in another vehicle will come this Sunday. Hate to ask, probably because I just haven't been under the hood much except to check the fluids: the underhood fuse box is just a little behind the battery, correct?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
I can't tell if they are lighting up - I'll try to look tonight as the darkness will help. Testing in another vehicle will come this Sunday. Hate to ask, probably because I just haven't been under the hood much except to check the fluids: the underhood fuse box is just a little behind the battery, correct?
Yes sir. On the driver's side between the battery and firewall. Had a black rectangular cover on it. On the underside of the fuse box cover with list all fuses and their locations.

Reactions: Mounce

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Yes sir. On the driver's side between the battery and firewall. Had a black rectangular cover on it. On the underside of the fuse box cover with list all fuses and their locations.
I'll check the fuse in the daylight. I could see the red light on my adapter was lit and I tried the second adapter and it too showed power. Both connect to the Bluetooth but both show they cannot connect to the ECU. Since they are getting power it sounds like the fuse would have to be good. Suggestions or ideas from there?

I have tried connecting while the car was turned off, while the car was in run but not started, and also while the car was running. All with the same results.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Blckshdw said:

I now have this one.

I have the first one listed here, I had it for years. Thought I would upgrade some and bought the second one listed here in a store.

I had it for two days messing with all kinds of settings and could not get it to connect to the PCM. I had to turn it back to the store and get my money back.

The reason I wanted to change the one I have is because I get "faulty adapter" on screen in torque. And it have a slow reading problem,always had.
I can't use the " faster communication" option in the settings, if I turn it on torque would soon tell me turn it off.

I am considering to buy Scantools adapter
LX or MX , mx supporting GMLan whatever that is?.
But at $ 69.95 lx and $99.95 mx I don't know.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
I'll check the fuse in the daylight. I could see the red light on my adapter was lit and I tried the second adapter and it too showed power. Both connect to the Bluetooth but both show they cannot connect to the ECU. Since they are getting power it sounds like the fuse would have to be good. Suggestions or ideas from there?

I have tried connecting while the car was turned off, while the car was in run but not started, and also while the car was running. All with the same results.
Strange. If you have power to the ports then the fuse is fine.

You will definitely need the vehicle on and running to get anything useful out of the elm327 or at least have the key turned forward to accessories.

Have you tried to connect it to another vehicle?

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
What I forgot to say is that I tried 3 different adapters in 3 vehicles and it wouldn't connect to any of them.
So I had to go back to my old one which had no problem connecting to the PCM at all.

Dammage

Oct 15, 2014
dmanns67 said:
I use that same scanner in multiple vehicles and it works well in all of them except for my Trailblazer. I have yet to get a scanner to connect, so I'm looking for a new ECM right now. I'll let you all know if that fixes everything.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:

You will definitely need the vehicle on and running to get anything useful out of the elm327 or at least have the key turned forward to accessories.

I have not checked the fuse, but noted that it would be connected as well to one of the power outlets under the air conditioning/heater controls. Both outlets work. I did try again after having removed the adapters that were in the outlets. I also turned off the radio, the fan, the daytime running lights, and anything else that I could think of. I tried to Google the problem and everything came back saying fuse 13. The friend has gone out of town that I was going to try plugging it into their car. So, it may take another day. Other suggestions beyond trying the device on another car?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
dmanns67 said:
It's 10A. Pretty easy to pop with all the crap available that plugs into power adapters these days. That's why I stay away from those things that turns a single port into multiple ports, forces me to keep the power usage under control. Only thing I have that plugs in is my Bayco charger and the Garmin, anyway, and there's two ports there already.

charger22

Feb 2, 2014
Blckshdw said:

I now have this one.

Just ordered can't wait for it to show....now no needing to rely on auto zone to read me my code. Thanks for the info. Less than 15.00 total.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I checked - the fuse is good. I still have not had a chance to try it on another car. Two different code readers saying they cannot connect to this car. Any suggestions or ideas?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
mcsteven said:
I checked - the fuse is good. I still have not had a chance to try it on another car. Two different code readers saying they cannot connect to this car. Any suggestions or ideas?
Possibly a wiring issue. Verify good continuity on all the wires leading to the plug.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:

OK - finally tried it on another vehicle and it did work. I have also connected a code scanner to my truck and it was fine.

Dammage said:
I use that same scanner in multiple vehicles and it works well in all of them except for my Trailblazer. I have yet to get a scanner to connect, so I'm looking for a new ECM right now. I'll let you all know if that fixes everything.

IllogicTC said:
Possibly a wiring issue. Verify good continuity on all the wires leading to the plug.
I wasn't able to test all leads (not sure where I would test continuity to or from) but I plugged a wired, self powered reader into the port and it worked fine.

Would a code reader work and the ELM327 not work (assuming the ELM327 was in working order) and it be a problem with the truck, or might it be just a compatibility issue? This is making me nuts (or more nuts).

Reactions: dmanns67

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
mcsteven said:
OK - finally tried it on another vehicle and it did work. I have also connected a code scanner to my truck and it was fine.

I wasn't able to test all leads (not sure where I would test continuity to or from) but I plugged a wired, self powered reader into the port and it worked fine.

Would a code reader work and the ELM327 not work (assuming the ELM327 was in working order) and it be a problem with the truck, or might it be just a compatibility issue? This is making me nuts (or more nuts).
May just be a quirk, or some reeeallllyyy bad quality control at whoever's manufacturing those bluetooth adapters.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my elmscan USB module and it now works with torque again!

Reactions: Mounce

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
coldman said:
Hope this is the right place, if not mods please move. Looking to get a code scanner, don't want to break the bank but don't want a piece of crap either. Some suggestions please.
got an Innova 3040 . Great scanner and you can plug it in and get lots of live data off of it . Wasn't that exspensive either .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online