4.2 Envoy Turbo Build

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I wonder how it will idle after it goes into closed-loop? Doesn't change the fact it's running rough but perhaps it's just the open-loop tables that are out of whack. Just a thought since open-loop is a rich setting.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I had a dream that you got so frustrated with your voy that you took it to a car crusher. Don't do that :smile:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Going to scan and run the voy tomorrow! Hopefully that will make it clear what I need to adjust or what Limequat needs to tune for or whatever the case may be! Cant wait to get it on the road!

Then off to Ohio possibly to buy this daily driver:
View attachment 28372

Attachments

• interceptor.jpg
    interceptor.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 167

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
View attachment 14830

Nice :thumbsup: They also have a white 05 with only 45,456 miles for 8K, but the Grey does look better. IMO your first mods should be tint and clear corners :yes:

[EBAY]290902141016[/EBAY]

Better yet, but more $$$

[EBAY]121108176573[/EBAY][EBAY]151051353691[/EBAY]

and maybe a set of LED tails

[EBAY]290911371356[/EBAY]

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Short Bus said:
Nice :thumbsup: They also have a white 05 with only 45,456 miles for 8K, but the Grey does look better. IMO your first mods should be tint and clear corners :yes:
[EBAY]290902141016[/EBAY]
Better yet, but more $$$
[EBAY]121108176573[/EBAY][EBAY]151051353691[/EBAY]
and maybe a set of LED tails
[EBAY]290911371356[/EBAY]

HAHAHAHA oh no! the mod bug X 2 !!!!!!! :crazy:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Going to scan and run the voy tomorrow! Hopefully that will make it clear what I need to adjust or what Limequat needs to tune for or whatever the case may be! Cant wait to get it on the road!

View attachment 14830

"Cop motor... cop shocks, cop suspensions, cop tires, and cop brakes...what do you say?":cool:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hahaha well Thursday I am going to go look at / buy it! nothing like living need for speed hot pursuit. I can wake up and choose to be the racer or the cop everyday now lmao...

First mod will be the Blue LED dash conversion then exhaust. after that it is staying simple. I have an envoy to drive :cool:

Major progress. the entire 06 conversion (wiring wise and almost engine wise) was a complete success! Today I was able to drive the envoy out of the driveway and pull it back in which may sound stupid but it actually moves now and can not stall out! (MAP sensor is disconnected and it seems to like that for some reason...bad MAP sensor? )

anyway here is the video of it moving again FINALLY after 5 LOOOONG months! :wootwoot: I logged some data and will email Limequat and another round of tuning is in order possibly as well as what ever I need to fix what isnt right...hopefully the MAP sensor is just bad.

ooohhhhh @ 1:00 :yikes::biggrin: in HD
[video=youtube;6-hEiM5NXhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-hEiM5NXhE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

View attachment 28383

Attachments

• 20130525_131012.jpg
    20130525_131012.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 23

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:thumbsup:

The only mod I would do if it has the side spotlight is throw a used light bar in the back window for full effect.

either way the voy is badass :yes:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Too bad I am not closer because I would love to be the guinea pig bone stock all oem 4.2 that you smoke the hell out of. I can't wait to see that thing haul!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Hahaha well Thursday I am going to go look at / buy it! nothing like living need for speed hot pursuit. I can wake up and choose to be the racer or the cop everyday now lmao...

First mod will be the Blue LED dash conversion then exhaust. after that it is staying simple. I have an envoy to drive :cool:

I've heard and even said that more that once, let us know how it works out

BTW a pair of these in matte black and sized for the doors would look good also

[EBAY]261101779136[/EBAY]

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
so you just unplugged the map and that fixed it?

man i had to turn down my stereo when you backed in LOL

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
jimmyjam said:
so you just unplugged the map and that fixed it?

man i had to turn down my stereo when you backed in LOL

hahaha sorry about that. I cant tell the rev is that dragster-ish loud from inside the voy. I actually messed up my phone speaker upon playback :sadcry:
well I don't think it "fixed" it but it sure as hell ran a LOT better when I did that. Im going to buy a newer MAP and try that also!

gmcman said:
Looking sweet. I foresee this in a magazine soon.

thank you man and I wish!!! but what mag would want an envoy???

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
View attachment 28400

NICE
really making me want to throw everything I need on a card for the cam but I swore to be smarter this time haha
thats awesome man cantwait for that 1st cruise video!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I give your transmission 2 months, tops. LoL.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
DDonnie said:
I give your transmission 2 months, tops. LoL.
I have seen some bone stock 4l60e transmissions take some beatings (friends supercharged caprice as well as my other friends 5.7 swapped caprice) and if I keep the boost down ( < eight PSI) it should​ be okay....lol SHOULD

STLtrailbSS said:
NICE
really making me want to throw everything I need on a card for the cam but I swore to be smarter this time haha
thats awesome man cantwait for that 1st cruise video!

Hey thank you STLtrailbSS! I can't wait either haha its been a long PITA (but fun/learning experience)! Can't wait to see the cam project!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Might still be worth shift kitting the transmission to help strengthen a few weaker points. Doesn't have to be a full blown one, but something like what I put in my 4L60E isn't really expensive at all but addresses a few key potential problem areas. Cost me only $150, plus fluid/filter, and an afternoon, and I don't work very fast on stuff like that.

Every 4L60E I get ends up with that kit now. I have two of them, both with over 170k miles, and neither without issue. One had issues before the install 20k miles ago and has been flawless since.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would definitely install the vette servo before you put power to it. The vette servo not only firms up the 2-3 shift, but also increases holding power by utilizing a larger surface area on the piston.

Very easy to do, I lowered the passenger side of the trans cross member which gave me plenty of room. Remove the 2 large bolts on the right side and the inner large bolt on the left side, leave the outside bolt on the left side in place. Place a jack under the cross member just in case and use a prybar to lower the cross member. Use a prybar and compress the cover a few times then clean around the snap ring before you remove the snap ring.

The cover pops out enough to grab the outer seal with a pick. Cut the seal and pull one end with a pair of pliers until it unwraps and pulls out all the way.

Remove the cover then the piston noting the way everything comes out. Very simple and a must IMO.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Here ya go.

[video=youtube;4WpjGQnEixo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WpjGQnEixo[/video]

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I like the transgo kit. I had it in my last 4l60e and it was good. I would recomend the vette servo as well. It is an easy install. The only other thing I would think of is a a stronger sun shell. They make one called "The Beast" good for up to 700hp. However it is an internal part so I would take a wait and see attitude on it. If you have to rebuild the trans put it in otherwise leave it alone.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
The only other thing I would think of is a a stronger sun shell. They make one called "The Beast" good for up to 700hp. However it is an internal part so I would take a wait and see attitude on it. If you have to rebuild the trans put it in otherwise leave it alone.

I agree and just wanted to add to this, the GM hardened sun shell made by Sonnax I understand is a more desirable unit than "The Beast" and I believe because it's a more balanced shell. Either one will work but as I understand the GM unit is better.

Agreed unless you start tearing into it then leave it alone but depends on how much power you plan on running. If you have the time, it may be worth it to pull the trans and install the hardened shell and maybe even the Z-pack 3-4 clutches. Heck, even replacing all the clutches puts you ahead of the game.

How many miles on the trans? I don't think it will be long until something gives especially in stock form when you add some boost. The 4L60E is a great trans but needs to be adapted to your engine. I would strongly suggest that you give Dana of Pro Built Automatics a call at 909 795-1876 and give him your scenario.....he will get you squared away.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You will have to forgive me on this one, as my turbo experience comes from older FI turbo systems.

With that said..

Does GM still use a batch fire sequence for the injectors? If so, to me it almost seams like one of the injectors are bad. If one injector is bad, it will short out all the injectors that are utilizing the batch fire. Now on a V6, that would mean that all injectors on that bank are now shorted out. But I am not sure how GM did that for the I6 engines.

I have burned through 2 sets of injectors on my Turbo Grand Prix. Those older GM computers are particularly sensitive to improper OHMage.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
TollKeeper said:
You will have to forgive me on this one, as my turbo experience comes from older FI turbo systems.

With that said..

Does GM still use a batch fire sequence for the injectors? If so, to me it almost seams like one of the injectors are bad. If one injector is bad, it will short out all the injectors that are utilizing the batch fire. Now on a V6, that would mean that all injectors on that bank are now shorted out. But I am not sure how GM did that for the I6 engines.

I have burned through 2 sets of injectors on my Turbo Grand Prix. Those older GM computers are particularly sensitive to improper OHMage.

good idea! thanks I will check iy out when I get time to log more data (just started at a new job) so progress slowed down slightly but should be soon!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
TollKeeper said:

With that said..

The TBs are sequential injection and ignition. Man, you're old school :smile:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
GOT IT ! haha got them down to 5,000 I go back tmrw or another day this week to pick it up and drop off my check.
View attachment 28548

Now I am just waiting for my paycheck so I can buy my new MAP sensor for the envoy and I am go to tap the oil pan and RUN THE TURBO !

Attachments

• interceptor (2).jpg
    interceptor (2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370223040780.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370223040780.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370223063826.jpg