4.2 Envoy Turbo Build

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Something else is there's a 180 deg bend off the manifold, the pressure difference on each side of the turbo is a key factor but I haven't spent time with that portion, that's why I think freeing up the exhaust after the cat will compensate for the 180 deg bend.

Edited to add, I'm thinking a 2.75 or 3" pipe off the cat to a Dynomax Ultra flow or a Borla XR-1 then one pipe routed to the stock location with or without a straight through resonator. Turbo's really quiet the exhaust by themselves so with your current dual-muffler, and added bends in both tailpipes may add a lot of restriction when under boost.

Of course it's easy to spend your money, :biggrin: but just throwing out suggestions.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
good points. I do have the exhaust as free flowing as possible. I have 3.25in downpipe, no cat and no muffler. its just one 3" straight pipe to a 3" to dual 2.5 in Y pipe and the out the tips. I know there is a pressure difference but the boost only REALLY kicks in above 3700 rpms and its not 8psi because of that pressure leak. =[ The best way would be to run a smaller turbo under the vehicle and less bends in the piping for sure, I just wanted the setup to look like it does because I love the 2jzgte supra engine haha. I am out of money paying for school out of pocket and all my bills and down to part time working because of class...so i just dont have the time or money right now to change anything...but I really think the pressure leak is a major cause of the power drop. I also know this thing doesnt produce any boost until you really get on it even tho its spooling. hmmm...what else can you think of?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
That's a fairly open exhaust for sure, best way to confirm is a backpressure test but I thought you were running a cat as well. Basically the engine is just an air pump, but in your case there's just more air. Airflow is key and I understand the financial situation for sure so more mods have to go on the back burner. Have you performed a dyno run? This would tell a lot for sure and even pinpoint a trans slip. Hard to say what else other than the intake piping....especially if you said the trans is slipping, that would obviously need to be addressed.

I wish I was there to share a few beers and have a lookie. :biggrin:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
:salivate: :hail:
After watching the vid a second time, I turned down the volume and what I heard ever so faintly behind the turbo was "MOVE B!TCH, GET OUT THE WAY" :rotfl:

No worries about the mobile content. You earned it where if I want to see your video, I'll find a way lol. How about one shot of your ride tearing away with the same distance you had on the approaches? Like a 1/8 to 1/4 mile pull away with just the exhaust? I was itchin for that towards the end, had one, but a gear shift would sound sweet pulling away lol

hahahahahah thank you man ! I plan on doing that today (me driving and using a tripod somewhere) as well as a higher speed flyby !

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Sound a like it's taking a beating! Time to beef up that transmission! And again love the car!

haha thanks ! its definitely getting the work out! and yes I knew the trans would only last 3 months or so. BUT I am honestly surprised how the oil return tap into the oil pan, the oil feed lines, most welds, the vacuum lines, the efans, the injectors, and the PCM repinning have held up fine! I honestly never expected it to work this well and in May I didnt see it ever starting up and working and was about to throw in the towel... I guess I lucked out

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Checking for leaks:

(This applies to exhaust)
Spray bottle filled with water and a couple drops of dish soap. Soak joints and all suspect areas. Start truck.
If it's not perfect, you'll see bubbles.

Intake: Same thing but you have to create the pressure yourself with a pump.

Slight leaks on the intake side, you probably won't even notice.

Slight leaks on the exhaust (pre-turbo of course) are a BIG deal.

Slight leaks after the turbo are awesome. Less backpressure and they get you high.

Once again, AWESOME work Conekilr! That is the meanest sounding Envoy that I've ever heard!

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well...project turbo envoy lasted all summer and ironically after last car show this season last monday it began acting up. and today I believe might have been its last day sadly. I think the turbo may be shot and the trans is needing rebuilt, needs shocks, needs rotors, needs some body work, and I do not have the money to do anything for a long time...ill look at it next week and make my final decision on parting it out.

Its been an awesome build I learned A LOT and I had a BLAST whooping some ass and hearing the spool and blow off all the time. I am actually honestly surprised it made it this long.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
well...project turbo envoy lasted all summer and ironically after last car show this season last monday it began acting up. and today I believe might have been its last day sadly. I think the turbo may be shot and the trans is needing rebuilt, needs shocks, needs rotors, needs some body work, and I do not have the money to do anything for a long time...ill look at it next week and make my final decision on parting it out.

Its been an awesome build I learned A LOT and I had a BLAST whooping some ass and hearing the spool and blow off all the time. I am actually honestly surprised it made it this long.

Wait WHAT?!?! You'd be crazy to do that after all this work :crazy:

We knew the trans was gonna need work, but what's this about the turbo? But hey, that's a small part of the whole thing, rebuild/replace it when you have a chance.

Shoot man, keep the truck as your long-term project. Shocks and brakes are nothing, body work... what kind?

KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
i know but i need money very badly thanks to school. and its more than i can afford right now by far...we shall see but as of now parting it out IF thats what i decide, will be worth it financially...it was awesome though hahaha

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
i know but i need money very badly thanks to school. and its more than i can afford right now by far...we shall see but as of now parting it out IF thats what i decide, will be worth it financially...it was awesome though hahaha

I understand the school thing. Been there done that. But that's why I'm suggesting you put it aside until later. If you part it out how much do you think you'd really get out of everything? Bad trans and a burnt turbo (from the sound of it). The amount put in vs the amount getting out of it, then just to have to do it all over again later down the road... Not worth it IMO. Park it for now, come back to it later when finances allow.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
No way...... aint happenin' :poke: Too much commitment....but hey, we understand about the green meal. Sounds like it needs minor work, plus the trans but rest is almost cosmetic. :smile:

You could surely sell it as is to someone with the same drive as you, would be tough to see it though with someone else behind the wheel for sure.

Hats off to you for starting from scratch, and ending up with what you have.....very impressive.:thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I know what you're going through man.. I've battled getting rid of the beaSSt for MONTHS.... I've had plenty of arguments with family and friends and it really stresses you out more then you would think.. while all my repairs have been free.. it still cost me over $2, 000 for an empty parking spot in my garage.. the total time the dealership has had my truck, times my $250 monthly payment equals a pissed off and hopeless owner that just threw $2, 000 away...

I'm not here to say yay or nay as I'm still battling myself.. I'm here to say you gotta do what you gotta do... life and future are more important then a materialistic vehicle... good luck in your decision...

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Please tell me I'm dreaming! So much hard work went into it.

I know I was dreading this ...but I knew it would eventually happen...I am surprised it lasted this long. :sadcry: tons of hard work but I cant spend all my money repairing it all the time and still trying to get to work and paying bills. I learned soooo much and made envoy history haha WHO KNOWS...maybe Ill get a better job next year and be back with another project!

Sparky said:
I understand the school thing. Been there done that. But that's why I'm suggesting you put it aside until later. If you part it out how much do you think you'd really get out of everything? Bad trans and a burnt turbo (from the sound of it). The amount put in vs the amount getting out of it, then just to have to do it all over again later down the road... Not worth it IMO. Park it for now, come back to it later when finances allow.

I know...:frown: I have and will keep thinking it over...I just do not know how much more abuse it can take all around... being in grad school next summer+ however long that will be I do not have the funds to fix surprise problems that arise. I figured this would happen with the trans and really the engine needs an overhaul I think too just at its miles to be safe if I was going to re turbo it the right way.

I know... a local place offered $3,000 for the chassis and frame/body and an additional $500 for trans, $600 for engine, $250 for rear end... I can sell the lighting, the rims+tires, all the turbo parts+ injectors, for about $2,800 +/-

I dont want to do this but I cant afford to keep it, fix it, and pay bills school, other vehicle to get to work + gas + any repairs it needs...I will see if I can afford to keep it like you said but as of right now its not looking too good

gmcman said:
No way...... aint happenin' :poke: Too much commitment....but hey, we understand about the green meal. Sounds like it needs minor work, plus the trans but rest is almost cosmetic. :smile: You could surely sell it as is to someone with the same drive as you, would be tough to see it though with someone else behind the wheel for sure. Hats off to you for starting from scratch, and ending up with what you have.....very impressive.:thumbsup:

thank you man for all your help too! Who knows maybe Ill be able to afford to fix it !

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ryda55555 said:

Haha yeah....when I heard it i was like awwww shit.... I knew it was gonna happen. its been acting slightly weird the last couple of days but I couldnt find anything. Im going to miss the blow off sound but hey maybe this breaking like it did saved it from breaking will i was going too fast and bad things could have happened... who knows!

Boricua SS said:
I know what you're going through man.. I've battled getting rid of the beaSSt for MONTHS.... I've had plenty of arguments with family and friends and it really stresses you out more then you would think.. while all my repairs have been free.. it still cost me over $2, 000 for an empty parking spot in my garage.. the total time the dealership has had my truck, times my $250 monthly payment equals a pissed off and hopeless owner that just threw $2, 000 away...
I'm not here to say yay or nay as I'm still battling myself.. I'm here to say you gotta do what you gotta do... life and future are more important then a materialistic vehicle... good luck in your decision...

I know man I dont know how you do it! and thank you for wishing me luck. I am sure if I cant afford it I will have to let it go but I will definitely stick around on the forum for sure! its like me second family :yes:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Do what you gotta do man. I thoroughly enjoyed your build. As far as choices go, most people tell me I will regret the things I didn't do, not the things they did do. Surely someone can keep your ride alive if it is the end of the road...

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
If anything I can send you my Kyb rear shocks (20k miles?) after I change them out to bilstiens! Hopefully you can keep it!

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Do what you gotta do man. I thoroughly enjoyed your build. As far as choices go, most people tell me I will regret the things I didn't do, not the things they did do. Surely someone can keep your ride alive if it is the end of the road...

thank you! and this is true! I had a ton of fun this summer and doing it and I am sad to see it go if it must but hopefully I left enough info on the web and would help anyone who wanted to do it to theres but improve on what I did !

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
[video=youtube;z07nk7EH4rQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07nk7EH4rQ#t=17m0s[/video]
it starts at 17 that's my opinion hopefully you know Jeremy Clarkson

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Later in there I think he might have been talking about my old Camaro :rotfl:

I did get attached to that thing despite the zillion flaws and problems it had.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
do you have it on a pilth? he was very adamant about that lol

Haha, no, sadly it ended up in a wreck and the rusty remains are rotting in some yard somewhere :frown:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Damn man I am sorry to hear that. I know you have a lot of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears in this project. I have loved your build from day one and all of the videos you have uploaded. I hope everything works out for the best with whatever route you take.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Man, I wish I had a spot to park it so you could come back next spring. Maybe Santa helps you out in the meantime.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Damn man I am sorry to hear that. I know you have a lot of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears in this project. I have loved your build from day one and all of the videos you have uploaded. I hope everything works out for the best with whatever route you take.

thanks man me too! I hope someone else will try this but with adequate funding and haha maybe a lift!?

Playsinsnow said:
Man, I wish I had a spot to park it so you could come back next spring. Maybe Santa helps you out in the meantime.

parking is no problem =( its just paying for repairs and parts but thank you and maybe Santa will help out who knows!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Time to get it back on the road...you have had enough time to think about it, but no firm decision, so I made it for you. Get to fixing/rebuilding and enjoy the truck ASAP!

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Well if you where the first to turbo, now you could be the first to bore and get custom grind cams.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Time to get it back on the road...you have had enough time to think about it, but no firm decision, so I made it for you. Get to fixing/rebuilding and enjoy the truck ASAP!

HAHA THANK YOU HARDTRAILZ ! I totally agree! It will be getting rebuilt little by little as I find time over winter and spring and be N/A with a badass exhaust dump out the side under the passenger door...your truck is seriously making want to go the offroad route !!!!!

mikekey said:
Well if you where the first to turbo, now you could be the first to bore and get custom grind cams.

very true! your truck is also making want to go offroad style more badass than racing styled I think and who knows what lies ahead for it :smile: As long as it stays in one piece and it doesnt give me too much $$$ troubles !!!

THANKS for the support guys!:thumbsup:

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
HAHA THANK YOU HARDTRAILZ ! I totally agree! It will be getting rebuilt little by little as I find time over winter and spring and be N/A with a badass exhaust dump out the side under the passenger door...your truck is seriously making want to go the offroad route !!!!!

very true! your truck is also making want to go offroad style more badass than racing styled I think and who knows what lies ahead for it :smile: As long as it stays in one piece and it doesnt give me too much $$$ troubles !!!

THANKS for the support guys!:thumbsup:

Welcome back! Lolol :smile:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would not part it out... It is going to break your mind/heart to see something. It will also break you down mentally to be part of the tearing apart.

I know you wont get as much, and it will probably take longer to do, but sell it as a whole if you have to.. At least then, you may have the chance of buying it back, instead of starting over from scratch.

Good luck man.. Selling 1 of my race cars starting this week, so I know the feeling.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I would not part it out... It is going to break your mind/heart to see something. It will also break you down mentally to be part of the tearing apart. I know you wont get as much, and it will probably take longer to do, but sell it as a whole if you have to.. At least then, you may have the chance of buying it back, instead of starting over from scratch.Good luck man.. Selling 1 of my race cars starting this week, so I know the feeling.

thanks man...I sold all the old turbo parts but couldnt bring myself to get rid of the voy...so I am going to come back in the spring and lift it I think. Sorry to hear about your car

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I would not part it out... It is going to break your mind/heart to see something. It will also break you down mentally to be part of the tearing apart.

I know you wont get as much, and it will probably take longer to do, but sell it as a whole if you have to.. At least then, you may have the chance of buying it back, instead of starting over from scratch.

Good luck man.. Selling 1 of my race cars starting this week, so I know the feeling.

Been there done that with my old car. Wrecked it, tried parting it out and it made me sick every time I pulled a part off of it. Wasn't too successful with the partout and sold most of it intact to someone I knew who parted the rest. Part of the problem was I didn't have a lot of time or space to do it (plus wrong time of year), but I also just couldn't do it. I was really sore for the first 6 weeks after the wreck anyway...

Conekiller, glad to see you're keeping and building it :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online