2006/2007 TB Safety Investigation (now a recall) over Driver Side Door Switches

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
The lights burned out on my diver side window switch awhile back. I'll be waiting for my letter.

GS_Geoff

Jul 7, 2012
Earlier somebody asked why they're just recalling the driver door switch. With recalls (at least with GM) it's half for show anyway. They spent years trying to figure out why Pontiac Grand Prixs had random engine fires. GM's conclusion was that the fires were caused by faulty rear valve cover gaskets (leaking oil). Common knowledge among the Grand Prix community says it's the flimsy/brittle injector O-rings, which cause fuel to drip on the manifolds and pool in casting indentations. Just throwing that out there...

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
So I just called the dealer to get mine fixed, no open recalls on my vehicle so they won't do nothing. They don't know of the recall, referred me to GM Customer Care. Called GM Customer Care, they know nothing about any recall, I quote them the transport Canada recall number and the GM recall number, still they know nothing and suggest I wait for a notice. I told him NO that's not acceptable, it's a fire hazzard and I want it fixed now. So he sets me up a case number 11027243 and says someone will call me back. My truck was originally registered in Ohio and now resides in Ontario, both are areas covered by the recall. They got 1/2 hour to figure it out or I be calling transport Canada at noon! If they think they aren't fixing my truck they better think again.

What a bunch of BS run around this is so far!!!:hissyfit:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have not bothered with checking on the recall. My switch has screwed up a couple times, but I dont think the truck gonna burn just because the recall is out. I figure the recall coulda been issued next month or even next year so I have no problem waiting for the recall to filter through to the dealers and either get a letter or give them a call in a month.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
So I just called the dealer to get mine fixed, no open recalls on my vehicle so they won't do nothing. They don't know of the recall, referred me to GM Customer Care. Called GM Customer Care, they know nothing about any recall, I quote them the transport Canada recall number and the GM recall number, still they know nothing and suggest I wait for a notice. I told him NO that's not acceptable, it's a fire hazzard and I want it fixed now. So he sets me up a case number 11027243 and says someone will call me back. My truck was originally registered in Ohio and now resides in Ontario, both are areas covered by the recall. They got 1/2 hour to figure it out or I be calling transport Canada at noon! If they think they aren't fixing my truck they better think again.

What a bunch of BS run around this is so far!!!:hissyfit:

Man alive... Relax!

The recall was just begun in the USA August 17th... less than a week ago. I suggest waiting at least another week before raising the roof.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
n0kfb said:
Man alive... Relax!

The recall was just begun in the USA August 17th... less than a week ago. I suggest waiting at least another week before raising the roof.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Agreed. I work in the automotive industry. If roughly a quarter of a million trucks have been recalled, and each one needs new drivers switches, there is no way there is that many of them in inventory at GM warehouses. And its a vehicle that has been out of production for nearly 3 years, so somewhere out there a company like where I work is tooling up to run a quarter million of the plastic components to make these, with an 4 week production time, and they'll order resin, with a 4 week lead time. Then they'll send the components to somewhere else to be assembled with the electronics for another 4 week production time. There's probably 12-16 weeks worth of production to be had before all these parts are in the system. Like Kyle said, the trucks are 5-6 years old, just because there's a piece of paper now confirming they have a risk doesn't mean its any greater a risk than it was last week, they won't all burst into flame within a week of the notice.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Agreed. I work in the automotive industry. If roughly a quarter of a million trucks have been recalled, and each one needs new drivers switches, there is no way there is that many of them in inventory at GM warehouses. And its a vehicle that has been out of production for nearly 3 years, so somewhere out there a company like where I work is tooling up to run a quarter million of the plastic components to make these, with an 4 week production time, and they'll order resin, with a 4 week lead time. Then they'll send the components to somewhere else to be assembled with the electronics for another 4 week production time. There's probably 12-16 weeks worth of production to be had before all these parts are in the system. Like Kyle said, the trucks are 5-6 years old, just because there's a piece of paper now confirming they have a risk doesn't mean its any greater a risk than it was last week, they won't all burst into flame within a week of the notice.

Fair enough, but I would expect an answer like you gave from them rather than "we know nothing", if GM are prepared to go to the media and announce a recall then they should be ready to answer questions from us owners. Apparently there is a "risk of fire" and to me I shouldn't have to wait for answers or the fix beyond a reasonable amount of time. If the switches just fail then that's different but a fire is more serious.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Fair enough, but I would expect an answer like you gave from them rather than "we know nothing", if GM are prepared to go to the media and announce a recall then they should be ready to answer questions from us owners. Apparently there is a "risk of fire" and to me I shouldn't have to wait for answers or the fix beyond a reasonable amount of time. If the switches just fail then that's different but a fire is more serious.

You should have been after the dealer when this thread was started and it was an investigation, maybe then they would have been up to date and understand how important it is to you. Keep in mind that the dealer prolly also got a call from a guy with a 76 1/2 ton wanting a recall on his brakes and a dodge owner wanting GM to warranty their transmission. You could have easily got lumped into the "blow off" catagory with those nuts since the platform is old and not many are even in warranty anymore.

Not saying they are 100% right, they are not, but thre are lots of recalls and it takes time for them to work through the system. Even then it takes time to work through who the recall even applies to. They have a monumental task in from of them.

Try to work with them rather than get upset. Life is too short and beer tastes too good.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Denali n DOO said:
Apparently there is a "risk of fire" and to me I shouldn't have to wait for answers or the fix beyond a reasonable amount of time. If the switches just fail then that's different but a fire is more serious.
If you were SERIOUSLY worried about a fire, then you should run down to the truck RIGHT NOW and pull the connector out of the DDM. Go!

To do anything less is putting your family at risk and how could you live with yourself if they burned up because you waited for a third party to cough up your free module? :hissyfit:

Legally, there is such a thing as the doctrine of Mitigation of Damages. If your picture window breaks from a tree limb, and you fail to tarp or plywood it over, your insurance company is going to fight you when you claim subsequent water damage through the broken window. You had a duty to reduce (mitigate) the potential for further damages by covering the broken window.

If you're not just posturing for the dealer's sake, using exaggeration to make the point that you should jump to the head of the line, you really need to pull the DDM now. Personally, I think you're being a bit of a drama llama. I admit I've done it before, so it's not unfamiliar territory. But I trust my DDM and have no intention to over-react.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
If you were SERIOUSLY worried about a fire, then you should run down to the truck RIGHT NOW and pull the connector out of the DDM. Go!

To do anything less is putting your family at risk and how could you live with yourself if they burned up because you waited for a third party to cough up your free module? :hissyfit:

Legally, there is such a thing as the doctrine of Mitigation of Damages. If your picture window breaks from a tree limb, and you fail to tarp or plywood it over, your insurance company is going to fight you when you claim subsequent water damage through the broken window. You had a duty to reduce (mitigate) the potential for further damages by covering the broken window.

If you're not just posturing for the dealer's sake, using exaggeration to make the point that you should jump to the head of the line, you really need to pull the DDM now. Personally, I think you're being a bit of a drama llama. I admit I've done it before, so it's not unfamiliar territory. But I trust my DDM and have no intention to over-react.

Nope, no longer concerned, no need to pull the plug on my DDM either. I just had a call from GM Canada and they have advised me that my 2006 Envoy originally registered in Ohio and now registeted in Ontario is NOT a part of the current recall and I should not be concerned. I guess I'm really lucky after all and have a special DDM in mine! I mean they must be right, right? Drama Llama tail between my legs n going for a cold beer or two now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Denali n DOO said:
...I mean they must be right, right? ...
Of course not. They might be lying to save a buck. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get ya. :rotfl:

So the new DDM will be on your dime. Too bad they're going to be in short supply for a while. :eek:

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
holly crapp, I got an 06, this not good I often have my four kids in the car, including a new born..time to contact a dealer...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Anyone got a letter?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Reading this makes me want to put replacing my faulty DDM on the top of the must do list.....I wonder if I bitch enough if they would cover mine? I seriously doubt it, but it is worth a shot. I need to take Phantom to the dealer anyways for an entirely different recall on the passenger back door on the drivers side. I still haven't had that fixed yet, just wish I knew what the "issue" was in that recall. I and my kids have noticed that the back door is getting extremely hard to open lately. But I'm going to call the dealer and whine and cry about the DDM, I have a feeling if I keep whacking the door to get my memory seat buttons to work, Phantom may just go "POOF" :explode:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:

This is the link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm I used to search for recalls on the voy. I just read that there are 3 for my model and model year. The door latch recall is due to the doors opening while driving due to latch failure. I did a little research and I guess a few kids have almost fallen out, but thankfully due to safety restraint remained in the vehicle unharmed.

There is also a recall for the exterior brake lights, the bulbs loosen up out of the socket which causes flickering and eventually failure, which could result in a vehicle crash.

Then there is one for the windshield wiper and washer system....

I don't have any issues with the rear brakes(knock on wood) nor the wipers and washers(knock on wood again).

But I'm worried with the door being difficult to open, it could eventually cause it to break a latch or cause the latch to loosen enough for the door to open while operating. And with 4 children, it is important that it doesn't happen.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
xj2202009 said:
holly crapp, I got an 06, this not good I often have my four kids in the car, including a new born..time to contact a dealer...

Yeah, uh, good luck with that, FL isn't a recall state...:crazy:

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Got a phone call from DOT/NHSTA about the claim or problem i filled with them. She asked me to get pictures of the module and wiring that had the insulation burnt off. So lets see where this goes.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
silverunicorn said:
Has anyone gotten a letter yet?

Chris

negative, nothing in my mailbox yet...

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I called the dealership last wednesday where I got mine and they said..... What recall????. The service manager ran my vin through the computer system and it didn't show any recalls. Once again... we know more than they do!!!!

c bausch

Jan 13, 2012
Now let me ask something but first let me tell you that i know first hand that they catch fire because mine did. Do you guy's really think that there is going to be a recall? I have been watching this chat for a while and still havent seen a end where the dearler does something . But correct me if im wrong , im just not hopeing and waiting around anymore :smile:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Nice to find out about this recall... My truck came from the states somewhere to Ontario, Canada. Have to try the dealer to find out what they say..

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I got that too. It basically says "parts are not available" so in the mean time park your car outside so it doesn't burn your house down lol

mml222

Oct 12, 2012
jimmyjam said:
I got that too. It basically says "parts are not available" so in the mean time park your car outside so it doesn't burn your house down lol

I got my letter today..it was the first I had heard of the recall...in May of this year my drivers side panel started to smell and then stopped working...I had it replaced at the GM dealer where I bought it...it cost me $535...so when I go the letter I called GM because...1. I want my money back and 2. I want to make sure that whatever they replaced in May isn't going to need to be replaced again. I spoke to customer service and gave them my vin number...they had nothing in their system about a recall even though I had a letter in my hand with my vin number on it.

I also told the person funny..this letter says they are concerned for my safety and that until parts are available I should consider parking my car outside lol...meanwhile they have nothing in their system that indicates there is a recall on my vehicle...I then called the dealer and they told me I should be getting another letter with additional information but for now this is just a preliminary notice? I guess we shall see!:confused:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Fire06 said:
Nice to find out about this recall... My truck came from the states somewhere to Ontario, Canada. Have to try the dealer to find out what they say..

Good luck with that! My truck orginally registered in Ohio US (affected State) and now resides in Ontario Canada (affected Province). I called GM US and they told me they couldnt help me because my truck is now registered in Ontario Canada so I should be calling GM Canada. So I call GM Canada and they tell me they can't help me because my truck was originally built and sold in the US so I gotta call GM US. I doubt I will be receiving any letters from GM. I'm just gonna wait till I hear the new parts are available and then start making calls again. From what I've read there will be alot of bitchin going on trying to get covered and trying to get reimbursed for repairs already done.

7.5 million Toyota's with bad driver door window switches too. They plan to have letters out by the end of the month. They are recalling ALL the switches, not just certain States and Provinces. I bet Toyota gets through their recall before GM, and I bet ALL Toyota customers will be satisfied.

And NO I don't wanna drive a Toyota, I'm just saying.....

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
rcam81 said:
I called the dealership last wednesday where I got mine and they said..... What recall????. The service manager ran my vin through the computer system and it didn't show any recalls. Once again... we know more than they do!!!!

I called the dealer on 9-22 and got the above quoted reply. Today I got the letter. :duh::duh:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Got my letter yesterday as well. GM won't put the recall on your VIN until the parts become available. The parts are actually there, out on some dealer shelves and on the shelves at the PDC but they don't have enough to do a majority of the vehicles in the recall so until the supplier fills their order and the dealers get their share they will not release the recall.

<----- I used to be a GM parts consultant....

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Mine came today as well. The lights have been out on the switches for some time now, I'll be looking forwards to new switches soon.

Boog2006

Dec 3, 2011
Clockman06LT said:
Same letter received yesterday - no parts yet so park your vehicle outside - nice. :thumbsup:

I got the same thing last week...so I wonder if I can charge them for not using my garage....lost benefits :smile:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Boog2006 said:
I got the same thing last week...so I wonder if I can charge them for not using my garage....lost benefits :smile:

I wonder if the GM service people will be doing the switch change-out in their parking lots in the middle of February...much to dangerous to do inside the dealership:biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.