2006/2007 TB Safety Investigation (now a recall) over Driver Side Door Switches

Scott_mcd

Jul 29, 2012
jimmyjam said:
I got that too. It basically says "parts are not available" so in the mean time park your car outside so it doesn't burn your house down lol

I got the same letter here.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wife pitched my letter.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
HARDTRAILZ said:
Wife pitched my letter.

I'm saving mine,if my house burns down,that letter will be my ticket to easy street:yes:...Mike.

ps maybe not if I happen to be in it......

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Stop by the dealer to check on the recall and they have never heard of it. Supposedly punched my vin in and nothing came up

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
northcreek said:
I'm saving mine,if my house burns down,that letter will be my ticket to easy street:yes:...Mike.

ps maybe not if I happen to be in it......

Maybe if it burned before you got the letter, but now you've been warned.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
The letter is pretty dumb....spend all that $$ to tell us the door switches are bad....and there is not much they can do till they get the parts. Send me a letter when ur ready to fix...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Short Bus said:
Maybe if it burned before you got the letter, but now you've been warned.

That's not the way litigation works.A warning absolves you of nothing.For example if you post a "beware of dog" sign and your dog bites someone the sign provides proof that you knew that you had an aggressive dog and did not take the proper steps to prevent the attack.
In this case GM assumes you got the letter(not registered) and assumes that your house will not catch on fire even if it is parked outside.I think that GM has been really casual in this whole approach.....Mike.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Fifth night parking in the barn since letter,still no fire.............

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
jrSS said:
The letter is pretty dumb....spend all that $$ to tell us the door switches are bad....and there is not much they can do till they get the parts. Send me a letter when ur ready to fix...

Well, judging by folks reaction to the announcement of the problem a few months ago (the first few pages of this thread are a good example), GM was probably forced into sending these letters in an attempt to get people to stop blowing up the phones wanting it fixed "right f'ing now".

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I got my letter a couple days ago... and it states that since Canyonaro was originally sold or registered in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI or Nfld, it's basically covered under the recall... the letter goes onto to explain what the potential issue is and it recommends that you "park the vehicle outdoors until it has been remedied..."

It clearly states that "PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE", but that when they do, your GM dealer will repair the DDM - this will be performed for you at no charge.

Interesting... :undecided:

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
CdnGMan said:
I got my letter a couple days ago... and it states that since Canyonaro was originally sold or registered in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI or Nfld, it's basically covered under the recall... the letter goes onto to explain what the potential issue is and it recommends that you "park the vehicle outdoors until it has been remedied..."

It clearly states that "PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE", but that when they do, your GM dealer will repair the DDM - this will be performed for you at no charge.

Interesting... :undecided:

I received the same letter even though my truck was sold initially in Alberta. :undecided:

BTW it does say (attached) fluid such as road salt...

Attachments

• GM%20Recall%20Letter.jpg
    GM%20Recall%20Letter.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Ok. So according to that letter instructions will be given for reimbursment if you already fixed it. Anyone have those instructions?

I had the ddm smoke and fail on my wifes 07 tb about 3 winters ago and got a replacement off ebay.

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Ok. So according to that letter instructions will be given for reimbursment if you already fixed it. Anyone have those instructions?

I had the ddm smoke and fail on my wifes 07 tb about 3 winters ago and got a replacement off ebay.

Just bear in mind that letter comes from GM Canada "eh". I don't see why yours would be any different provided your truck/state was originally covered.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Jayman said:
Just bear in mind that letter comes from GM Canada "eh". I don't see why yours would be any different provided your truck/state was originally covered.

Thanks. Drank too much of that labatt blue when I was up in Sault Ste. Marie. So "eh" is right.

Does anyone know if previous leasees who had a 07 TB would get this letter? This is my case. I know what your going to say. Why didn't you bring it in for warranty work if the DDM failed during a lease? Well I had about 80K miles on the 07 TB when this happened and I thought it was out of warranty. Weather or not it really was is still a big ? for me. I should have brought it to the dealer and checked anyway.

Edit: I remember now. Actually, I thought it was my fault for leaving the windows cracked at some point. That's why I never checked.

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Thanks. Drank too much of that labatt blue when I was up in Sault Ste. Marie. So "eh" is right.

Does anyone know if previous leasees who had a 07 TB would get this letter? This is my case. I know what your going to say. Why didn't you bring it in for warranty work if the DDM failed during a lease? Well I had about 80K miles on the 07 TB when this happened and I thought it was out of warranty. Weather or not it really was is still a big ? for me. I should have brought it to the dealer and checked anyway.

Edit: I remember now. Actually, I thought it was my fault for leaving the windows cracked at some point. That's why I never checked.

I bought mine in January from a dealer. I paid for extended warranty as well but that should have no bearing on it. I've learned over the years whenever I purchase a vehicle to call the manufacturer with VIN and let them know I'm the new owner. That way they can find me for these reasons...:thumbsup:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
It's funny the only thing wrong with the 9-7 is one of the lights on that panel doesn't light up any longer Wonder if it is coincidence or caused by the issues in the letter. I'm not holding my breath on the parts being available any time soon.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
So now its like 4 months since people started getting the letters about the recall. Has anyone ever gotten the call from the dealer to go in and have it replaced? I haven't heard a word since the letter. Might have to give the dealer a call Monday morning. Lucky for us, all three local dealers were victims of the cuts GM made a few years ago, so we have to drive to the next town to get to a dealer

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
SBUBandit said:
So now its like 4 months since people started getting the letters about the recall. Has anyone ever gotten the call from the dealer to go in and have it replaced? I haven't heard a word since the letter. Might have to give the dealer a call Monday morning. Lucky for us, all three local dealers were victims of the cuts GM made a few years ago, so we have to drive to the next town to get to a dealer

Hasn't been any movement here since the letter.Kind of funny if GM thinks that we are keeping our trucks out of our garages durring the winter while they have this on the back burner(burner?no pun intended):undecided:....Mike.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
northcreek said:
Hasn't been any movement here since the letter.Kind of funny if GM thinks that we are keeping our trucks out of our garages durring the winter while they have this on the back burner(burner?no pun intended):undecided:....Mike.

Ya, it's been a quiet topic for a while now, so I guess no one has received updated parts or further instructions on the repair yet? I guess GM still doesn't know what to do or can't get updated parts supplied yet.

My 2006 Envoy was originally registered in Ohio and then registered in Ontario. I still haven't received any recall information from GM at all. I meet the criteria of the affected States and Provinces but still no information sent to me yet. Why am I not on the so called affected list? It's BS, that's what it is :hissyfit: ...
I called GM Canada they say call GM USA because it was originally registered there in Ohio. I called GM USA and they say call GM Canada because that's where the vehicle is registered now. Meanwhile...since GM USA and Canada, along with my dealer all confirm that my vehicle is not affected with the DDM fire hazard, I do occasionally park the Envoy in the garage...:confused:

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
northcreek said:

Yup exactly as the mercury touched -26*C last night...

Haven't heard a peep since receiving the letter.:wootwoot:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Ya, it's been a quiet topic for a while now, so I guess no one has received updated parts or further instructions on the repair yet? I guess GM still doesn't know what to do or can't get updated parts supplied yet.

My 2006 Envoy was originally registered in Ohio and then registered in Ontario. I still haven't received any recall information from GM at all. I meet the criteria of the affected States and Provinces but still no information sent to me yet. Why am I not on the so called affected list? It's BS, that's what it is :hissyfit: ...
I called GM Canada they say call GM USA because it was originally registered there in Ohio. I called GM USA and they say call GM Canada because that's where the vehicle is registered now. Meanwhile...since GM USA and Canada, along with my dealer all confirm that my vehicle is not affected with the DDM fire hazard, I do occasionally park the Envoy in the garage...:confused:

My truck is just like yours coming out of the states through a Canadian GM dealer. GM Canada told me that I have to be in touch with them since they will not call me since the truck came from the USA. I gave him all my info but still they will not get in touch with me I have to get in touch with them. Also this guy was not sure if GM Canada was going to do the claim for the door switches but they would know in a few more weeks. Thanks for looking after me GM. I like how they try to get out of doing any warranty work if they can because the customer must have done something to cause the part to fail. My Dad has a Pontiac Torrent GXP fwd model. The vehicle has been back 4 times for a tranny leak that they fix only to leak again. This has been going on for about 4 months. How he has em mission codes that point to the O2 sensor but research says it is more likely the cat is bad but the dealer says you have to replace the O2 first then maybe we will replace the cat. O2 replaced and the reader says emissions are still not right. It goes in today so we will see what happens.
Rant over :hissyfit::hissyfit:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
When I was talking to the GM lady yesterday I asked about the recall and my not being on the list. She said there is another letter going out Jan 28th with more instructions. New parts may become available to dealers by end of February. The failing DDM was a parts joint venture with Toyota Motor Corp, I guess that's why Toyota had the 7 million recalls for DDM with a fire hazard shortly after our recall. So I guess the manufacturer has to come up with 7,250,000 replacement DDM parts, probably why the big delay.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Being a tech and having access to GM service info is nice.
I found a bullitin to contact 1 of 2 engineers if you have a window switch in one of our trucks that has the issue. They are tring to determine the "root cause" of the failure. The bullitin is dated 12/17/2012. So I was under the impression that they have no idea how to fix it. But maybe by now they have enough of them to have found the issue. So they can start to make the parts and get them out to us.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Being a tech and having access to GM service info is nice.
I found a bullitin to contact 1 of 2 engineers if you have a window switch in one of our trucks that has the issue. They are tring to determine the "root cause" of the failure. The bullitin is dated 12/17/2012. So I was under the impression that they have no idea how to fix it. But maybe by now they have enough of them to have found the issue. So they can start to make the parts and get them out to us.

WAIT.... I just looked again and found and Special coverage policy on the switches.
In the policy it states
What We Are Doing: We are conducting two programs to address this issue. The first program is a safety recall of these vehicles in certain states. A safety recall is being conducted in these areas because we have determined that states using road salt and other chemicals for ice/snow control are much more likely to experience a short circuit in the switch.

The second program is a special coverage in the remaining states. Under our special coverage, should a vehicle ever experience this condition, the owner must take that vehicle to their GM dealer and have that dealer inspect the vehicle, confirm the condition, and then repair that vehicle for free.

And
If a vehicle involved in this Special Coverage demonstrates the condition or symptoms described above, dealers are to replace the driver door module, regardless of the vehicle's age or mileage.

I dont know how this applies to our friends north of the boarder however.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I bought my used 2007 TB in with 65,000 kms in early December 2012. So there's no way that I'll be seeing a letter regarding the recall. I just submitted my VIN through GM Canada's website and mentioned including my vehicle in the recall. We'll see how that goes.

My Trailblazer also has it's roots in the US as well. The Carproof mentioned that it was first registered in Illinois as a 'fleet' vehicle. It was driven 20,000 miles between June 2007 to Feburary 2008 then sold North to Canada. The more I look at other Carproof's, the more I see cars with a US origin.

Cornchip.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I got mine in March and I got the letter in October. At least in the US they go by Dept of Motor Vehicle records and ship notice to all current owners.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I was in contact with one of the NHSTA officials. Sent her pics of the burnt module and the insulation around the wires. So it looks like i might make a trip by the dealer to get my money back for the module and programing.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I know they changed the airbags mid way through so im wondering if the ones with the updated style interior got the new door switches as well. But im not sure when they changed to the style of air bag i have lol. My '08 Trailblazer is also of US origin. I purchased it from the local GMC dealer in november and it was one of their "Optimum" used vehicles in which it got an inspection and the only thing replaced apparently was a set of worn out tires.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I recieved my reply from GM Canada.....

Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

Our records indicate that there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle. GM is very careful in the determination of recall-affected vehicles. If a future recall involves you vehicle, you will be notified by mail. Otherwise check with your local GM dealership service department for any recall updates for your vehicle.

To locate a dealership near you, please link to:

Dealer Search on gm.ca

Thank you for contacting General Motors of Canada Limited. Should you require further clarification or assistance, please contact us again through our website, or call our Customer Communication Centre, toll free, at 1-800-263-3777 or 1-800-263-7854 (French), Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 11:00pm, Saturdays, 8:00am to 5:00pm, Eastern Standard Time.

Deanna A.
Customer Care Ambassador
GM Canada | Cars, Trucks, SUVs, and Crossovers | General Motors

To contact me directly:
1-800-263-3777
Press Option 4
Extension 2829

So that's it then. My build date for the TB is May 2007. That must make it a 'later' 2007 since the recall covers 2006 to 2007 without mention of the 2008/09's. There might have been a supplier change there abouts or the part got a needed redesign. Anybody else with a '07 not get the notice? I'd be curious to get the build date.

Cornchip.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Just a little update, I just spoke with our local dealership, and he said the most recent update he is getting from GM is that they are being told by the part suppliers that parts should start becoming available in March.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I got a letter today about this recall. It also had a form for getting your money back if you fixed it yourself. I will scan them later for you guys.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I just did a search in the GM service info. This recall is STILL not listed. I got the letter for it myself but until GM lists it in service info, the dealers have no idea what to order for parts. So I would hold off a few days before calling to get it done.

Way to go GM. Send out the info to the customer before you give it to the dealers. Now the dealer looks like an idiot, because they have no idea what to do with this recall.

So please be patient when trying to get it done.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
I called and talked with NHTSA and GM several times because this past summer I was in NY when the switch burned up in my '06 TB. We were there on vacation and the switch just decided to burn. They told me it was VIN specific and my truck had never been registered in a "cold weather state". Which is true, I live in SC but my question is then why did my switch have a melt down, I don't think it just the cold weather states that are having this issue. Below are the pictures that I sent to NHTSA and filed a compliant. Well, you can imagine how far thats gotten me.:mad::hissyfit:

View attachment 26312

View attachment 26313

View attachment 26314

View attachment 26315

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 17

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
So heres where I have issue. Gm has issued the special policy for the rest fo the country and it has the P/N needed to fix those. Btw the policy is #11323 and it has a customer reimbursement info in it as well.:thumbsup:
And they have sent the letters to those in the northeast for the recall but have not sent the repair info to the dealer. So I have no way of fixing the trucks that have had a letter sent to them.:mad:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
No wonder GM is / was in trouble.. Run by management types that went to fancy schools but have no idea of a car or their customers.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
So heres where I have issue. Gm has issued the special policy for the rest fo the country and it has the P/N needed to fix those. Btw the policy is #11323 and it has a customer reimbursement info in it as well.:thumbsup:
And they have sent the letters to those in the northeast for the recall but have not sent the repair info to the dealer. So I have no way of fixing the trucks that have had a letter sent to them.:mad:

Dealers don't have the parts yet. Most of them are well aware of the recall, but until parts arrive, they can't do anything. Last update I got from the local dealer was that he was told he'd start getting parts in March

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
The letter I got,

Front: (Don't mind Spiderman, it is a piece of scrap mail I had on hand)

IMG

Back:

IMG_0001

Form:

IMG_0002

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
SBUBandit said:
Most of them are well aware of the recall, but until parts arrive, they can't do anything.

The reason we dont have the parts at least in my case is because the part number is in the recall info in SI. GM has not listed the recall in SI to give us the numbers to order,therefore no parts. The recall number is 12180 and when I search it I get "no documents found". I did a vin inquiry and the recall has not even been listed for my vin, but I got the letter. And I check all the time(2-3 times a day) to see if it updated yet.

EDIT:Just checked still not there.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Well I got the info today. They are not replacing the switches unless they don't work.:mad: If they pass a functional test then we take em appart and apply a coating to the pins inside where the ribbon cable solders to the board. This coating has to sit for 1hr before you reassemble the switch. So bear in mind the recall includes a 1hr "watching paint dry" phase when you schedule it to be done.

:mad:DAMN IT I wanted a new switch:frown:

EDIT: I think I should stress that this is just for the northeast (salt belt). The rest of the country is not a recall but a specail policy. If your switch fails GM will replace it for the life of your truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online