2006/2007 TB Safety Investigation (now a recall) over Driver Side Door Switches

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
The recall includes a total of 249,260 vehicles that were sold in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.

So it can only happen in those states,:rotfl:. GM will probably only cover half the bill again.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My truck may actually see the inside of a dealer. Damn.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SWB were all built in Moraine, Ohio. EXT/XL in Oklahoma City, OK.

But the recall is for where the trucks were sold, not built. And it's a US agency forcing the recall. GM left to themselves, would let the vehicles burn.

I have no idea if the Canadian highway safety agency leads or follows or ignores what happens in the US.

GS_Geoff

Jul 7, 2012
navigator said:
hmmm, I have a 2006 and sometimes my driver door won't unlock with the key fob and sometimes the window lock won't work either .....
My speakers on the driver side are a hit and miss if they work also.......
maybe I should check some things out.

My 2008 9-7x has the same issues, except in my case, the speakers work, but it's hit or miss whether I hear alternator whine through the speakers or not. It's a GM, you should always expect electrical and paint problems. That's why chumps like me (and perhaps you) can buy them used for so cheap! :crazy:

guiltyimnot

Mar 25, 2012
I am more curious why it is based on where the vehicle is purchased or registered. Wouldn't they all be the same no matter where they were sold? At least something like a door control. I could see like emission systems being different but not window controls.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
My truck may actually see the inside of a dealer. Damn.

To the dealer :eek: ? , you might just wanna sit in the passanger seat while they do it!

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
To the dealer :eek: ? , you might just wanna sit in the passanger seat while they do it!

I agree...

Seriously though what's everyone going to do? Are we to wait until we get a letter, or just head right up to the dealer now with the information we already have?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
guiltyimnot said:
I am more curious why it is based on where the vehicle is purchased or registered. Wouldn't they all be the same no matter where they were sold? At least something like a door control. I could see like emission systems being different but not window controls.

They probably base it on climate conditions and a combination of rain/snow/salt. A truck in Arizona won't have all these conditions to cause the issue. But who's to say it didn't end up here in Canada a year later. GM should suck it up buttercup, and change ALL the switches regardless of where it was registered. Mine was registered in Ohio originally and it's here in Ontario Canada, I should be covered. If I'm not on the list they WILL be doing it regardless.

So, why is it only the Drivers side switches and not passanger side too? Were they designed and built differently or does GM claim most people park in a rain storm with drivers doir facing the rain?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
guiltyimnot said:
It's all about salt in the environment. Many other recalls involve salt-using states. Oregon and some others just say no to salt.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
They probably base it on climate conditions and a combination of rain/snow/salt. A truck in Arizona won't have all these conditions to cause the issue. But who's to say it didn't end up here in Canada a year later. GM should suck it up buttercup, and change ALL the switches regardless of where it was registered. Mine was registered in Ohio originally and it's here in Ontario Canada, I should be covered. If I'm not on the list they WILL be doing it regardless.

So, why is it only the Drivers side switches and not passanger side too? Were they designed and built differently or does GM claim most people park in a rain storm with drivers doir facing the rain?

My guess would be because the drivers side has control over all of the windows. Passenger only controls one window. More of a chance of a short circuit in the driver side switch.
Also, the one post on sfgate, said that GM would replace any of them, regardless of where they were. We'll see...
Can't they just give me the part and let me do it?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
rzawora said:
I agree...

Seriously though what's everyone going to do? Are we to wait until we get a letter, or just head right up to the dealer now with the information we already have?

I'm assumming a new design was made that went into 08 n 09's so the part should be available. I hit the criteria so far based on the official info received so I won't be waiting for a letter! I'll be at the dealer tomorrow morning! If they think my truck is gonna be sitting in my driveway with a CONFIRMED fire hazzard they better think again! :hissyfit: !!!

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
guiltyimnot said:

There was an article in today's paper stating that it was due to ice removing chemicals that are used on the highways in those states indicated. Evidently it gets inside the door and is capable of shorting out the module. :confused:

DETROIT, Mich.

Maine among 20 states affected by SUV recall

General Motors and Isuzu are recalling more than 258,000 SUVs in the United States and Canada to fix short-circuits in power-window and door-lock switches that can cause fires.

The recall covers Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender and Saab 97-X SUVs from the 2006 and 2007 model years.

The SUVs were sold or registered in 20 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and Canada, where salt and other chemicals are used to clear roads in the winter.

Fluid containing the road-clearing chemicals can get inside the driver's door and cause corrosion in the power-window and door-switch circuit boards, according to documents posted on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. The corrosion can cause short-circuits, knocking out the switches and causing fires.

GM has reports of 28 fires. It said it doesn't know of any injuries caused by the problem.

The recall affects SUVs sold or registered in the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Dealers will replace the power-window switch for free, according to NHTSA documents posted Saturday. Owners will get letters telling them when to schedule appointments.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Phantom's DDM has also gone out. I thought we fixed it with some electrical tape, but after about 3 months of working, it has once again failed. I still kick the shit out of it to get my memory seat buttons to work lol and if it catches on fire.....it will just be 30 less things I would have to worry about fixing :rotfl:

Then I would have an excuse to start looking at SS's :biggrin:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There were so many of these DDMs dying that junkyards raised their prices and GM ran out totally for a while and they were on national back order. Talk about a wake-up call that they tried to hide their heads to avoid.

If it wasn't for the fires, they would have done nothing, since out of warranty failures are not a big concern. To them.

I predict it's a waste of time to contact any dealer before you get a letter. The dealer isn't going to do any replacement without corporate authorization and having the parts in hand.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I bought mine used and i dont car what state it came from i have a burnt control module in my back that im going to get my money back for it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
million-miles said:
I bought mine used and i dont car what state it came from i have a burnt control module in my back that im going to get my money back for it.

Good luck!! And I'm not trying to be sarcastic either. I wish I could get my money back, but the recall does not include 2003 vehicles, nor does it include Envoy's :hissyfit:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i just thought of something... im going to have to redo my LED's again!!! lol... while they had the beaSSt in for the motor swap, they replaced my DDM because my mirrors werent working (they replaced the mirror switch first, but it still kept popping and not making my mirrors work, so they just replaced my DDM) and i did my LED mod to that one, and now I'll be getting another one lol... ah well... if it saves my truck from a fire, I'm more then willing to resolder some LED's :yes:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I'm more then willing to resolder some LED's :yes:

You can do mine while you're at it too :biggrin:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Saw this in todays paper and was surprised to see that there was no mention of it here...so here's the scoop,Mike.

DETROIT -- General Motors and Isuzu are recalling more than 258,000 SUVs in the U.S. and Canada to fix short-circuits in power-window and door-lock switches that can cause fires.

The recall covers Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender and Saab 97-X SUVs from the 2006 and 2007 model years. The SUVs were sold or registered in 20 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and Canada, where salt and other chemicals are used to clear roads in the winter.

GM has reports of 28 fires. It doesn't know of any injuries caused by the problem.

Fluid containing the road-clearing chemicals can get inside the driver's door and cause corrosion in the power-window and door-switch circuit boards, according to documents posted on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. The corrosion can cause short-circuits, knocking out the switches and causing fires.

The recall affects SUVs sold or registered in the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Dealers will replace the power-window switch for free, according to NHTSA documents posted Saturday. Owners will get letters telling them when to schedule appointments. GM also will make repairs at no cost to owners living in states not covered by the recall, spokesman Alan Adler said in an e-mail.

NHTSA started investigating the SUVs in February after getting a dozen complaints of fires.

In one complaint filed with NHTSA, from Oct. 29, 2008, a woman reported that the alarm sounded while her 2006 TrailBlazer was parked in her driveway. When she looked outside, she saw the SUV in flames. Firefighters put out the blaze and told her it started in the driver's door.

"The fire burned the entire driver's side of the vehicle, a portion of the front passenger seat and the roof," she wrote.

The TrailBlazer was the biggest seller among the SUVs, which helped to make the truck-based sport utility vehicle popular in the U.S. The SUVs were phased out in 2009 and replaced by more efficient car-based crossovers such as the Chevrolet Traverse, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia.

GM manufactured the Ascender for Isuzu, and Saab was part of GM back when the SUVs were built.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CdnGMan said:
Ummm... I think you missed the chatter about that in THIS thread... :raspberry:

That must have been while I was busy putting my door fire out:rotfl:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
My late 2007 TB drivers door module overheated and smoked and was melted pretty bad after autopsy. This was back three years ago. I replaced it with one from eBay.

guiltyimnot

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know how much I trust the salt reasoning for choosing states. Kansas gets plenty of snow and uses just as much salt and other chemicals as Missouri who is included. Guess I'll wait and see.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
guiltyimnot said:
I don't know how much I trust the salt reasoning for choosing states. Kansas gets plenty of snow and uses just as much salt and other chemicals as Missouri who is included. Guess I'll wait and see.

Right below that it says GM will replace the switches free on vehicles not in those states too. I wouldn't be surprised if for people outside those "salt states" they just don't send the letter and make you check on it yourself.

Numbnutz

Dec 11, 2011
This recall is making its way to Canada too. I called GM today, and surprise they had no idea what I was talking about.

Road Safety Recalls Database Print this Page

Transport Canada Recall # 2012282
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recall Date 2012/08/16
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Electrical
Manufacturer Recall Number 12180
Units Affected 9,150
Category SUV
Recall Details
On certain vehicles originally sold in or currently operated in areas of heavy road salt usage during winter months (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador), the driver’s door module could short circuit and fail. An electrical short could result in a vehicle fire causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: To be determined.

Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
BUICK RAINIER 2006 2007
CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 2006 2007
CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER EXT 2006
GMC ENVOY 2006 2007
GMC ENVOY XL 2006
SAAB 9-7X 2006 2007

Arock

Dec 8, 2011
If you’re not in one of the states listed good luck. I just called the stealership here in Colorado to see if they are replacing the DDM with a new design and if I could get some kind of refund or replacement for the one I just bought, I just replaced mine a month ago because it fried. They replied that the recall did not impact any vehicles other than the states listed. Now I have to call GM's customer service line. This should be fun. :hissyfit: I'll post their reply on here. Although I did buy a new one I am wondering what they are going to say considering I didn’t have it replaced at a dealership because I refused to pay $475 and leave my truck there all day.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
guiltyimnot said:

See this:

GM, Isuzu Recall 258,000 SUVs Over Fire Risk « CBS Detroit

Apparently, it is road salt working its way into the switches. However, GM should do the right thing and replace it on EVERY '06/'07 vehicle made, since it would happen on on a vehicle from an "unaffected" state if it were driven in winter conditions back in the rust belt, too. :hissyfit:

mkavanaugh4

Jul 30, 2012
All,

I'm not sure if this applies to the other threads, but it's worth taking a good look at.

GM Recalls 249,260 Midsize SUVs, Including 2006-'07 Chevrolet Trailblazer due to a short in a circuit board could lead to a fire.

"Fluid may enter the driver's door module, causing corrosion that could result in a short in the circuit board. A short may cause the power door lock and power window switches to function intermittently or become inoperative. The short may also cause overheating, which could melt components of the door module, producing odor, smoke or a fire. A short in the circuit board could lead to a fire, increasing the risk of personal injury."

GM Recalls 249,260 Midsize SUVs, Including 2006-'07 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Arock

Dec 8, 2011
ElAviator72 said:
See this:

GM, Isuzu Recall 258,000 SUVs Over Fire Risk « CBS Detroit

Apparently, it is road salt working its way into the switches. However, GM should do the right thing and replace it on EVERY '06/'07 vehicle made, since it would happen on on a vehicle from an "unaffected" state if it were driven in winter conditions back in the rust belt, too. :hissyfit:

:iagree: BTW, from what I read, the letter states "Fluid may enter the driver's door module, causing corrosion that could result in a short in the circuit board." and nothing about salt. Either way, even if it is the salt and/or chemicals used to clear the roads in snow and ice conditions - HEY DUMBASSES! YOU MISSED A COUPLE OF STATES! :hissyfit:

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
My drivers side panel just stopped working the other day, was just about to order a new one when I saw this thread. Went down to local gm dealership and they said they are aware of recall but have not received an official letter yet, said they will run my vin number and call me as soon the letter comes. Said probably Tuesday or Wednesday, guess we'll see..

dp28688

Dec 12, 2011
i called local dealer yesterday they didnt know anything about it either so it hasnt made it in computer. is there a recall # or code yet to ask them to look for?

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I went right down to see service manager, he knew about recall but said had to wait until getting official notice.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
I predict it's a waste of time to contact any dealer before you get a letter. The dealer isn't going to do any replacement without corporate authorization and having the parts in hand.

You called that one right!!! I went to the stealership today and was told (after they ran my VIN) that I have no outstanding recalls, but it might be to early for this one.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I called the gm line directly that I read on other pages, they took all my information and said nothing been officially sent out yet but recognized there is a recall. Put me on hold called local dealership and got me an appointment Monday to have issues fixed :smile:

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Canary2323 said:
I called the gm line directly that I read on other pages, they took all my information and said nothing been officially sent out yet but recognized there is a recall. Put me on hold called local dealership and got me an appointment Monday to have issues fixed :smile:

# please?

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
8666946546 got it from the report (pdf) on first page

- - - Updated - - -

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Canary2323 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Lol...sorry...guess I was too lazy to read that. I'll be calling tomorrow. Thanks for posting it though!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher