You KNOW there's going to be a "will it fit" thread

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
One thing that always bugged me about TV was the lack of any kind of quick-reference chart for the tire info. I have a chart I made some time back to compile the info I found at the time, perhaps this could be of use?
Code:
          |          | *Wheel  | Wider | Upper ball | Spring | Body | Cutting &
Tire size | Diameter | spacers | rims  | joint mod  |  lift  | lift | hammering
----------+----------+---------+-------+------------+--------+------+-----------
245/70-16 |  29.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/70-16 |  30.1"   |         |       |            |        |      |
245/75-16 |  30.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
265/70-16 |  30.6"   |         |       |            |        |      |
285/65-16 |  30.6"   |   ?     |   ?   |            |        |      |
255/75-16 |  31.1"   |   ?     |       |     ?      |        |      |
265/75-16 |  31.6"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   ?    |      |     ?
285/70-16 |  31.7"   |   X     |   ?   |     ?      |   X    |      |     ?
285/75-16 |  32.8"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
255/85-16 |  33.1"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   X    |      |     X
----------+----------+---------+-------+------------+--------+------+-----------
245/65-17 |  29.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/65-17 |  30.1"   |         |       |            |        |      |
245/70-17 |  30.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
265/65-17 |  30.6"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/70-17 |  31.1"   |   ?     |       |     ?      |        |      |
245/75-17 |  31.5"   |   X     |       |     ?      |        |      |     ?
265/70-17 |  31.6"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   ?    |      |     ?
255/75-17 |  32.1"   |   X     |       |     X      |   X    |      |     ?
265/75-17 |  32.6"   |   X     |       |     X      |   X    |      |     ?
305/65-17 |  32.6"   |   X     |   X   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
285/70-17 |  32.7"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
285/75-17 |  33.8"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
305/70-17 |  33.8"   |   X     |   X   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
* Using rims with an incorporated offset is preferred over using wheel spacers
? May require this mod, depending on the particular tire used

I've been trying to think of some way a chart could be linked to useful information, and I have an idea... Would it be possible to create 'hidden' sub-forums under the off-road section, using a tire chart as the starting point? So for instance, someone brings up a chart (using mine as an example), and they see that if they want to install 265/70-17's there may be some cutting involved. From here, they would click on the tire size, and it would take them to a forum that only discuses the 265/70-17 tire (lifts, wheel-spacers, body mods, and of course pictures).

I just noticed over the past year that this seems to be THE most common question that comes up in the off-road section, and since we're starting from scratch here, maybe this problem can be tackled before it becomes a problem?

* As a final note... THANK YOU for choosing a forum software that allows me to paste a block of fixed-width text! I was never able to do this on the old site.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
that bad man!! Shouldn't we add a will it fit chart with 18", 20", 22" etc? I mean I have seen many question on those on TV.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
The chart is awesome! We are working on some FAQ sections to house things like this. :cool:

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
that bad man!! Shouldn't we add a will it fit chart with 18", 20", 22" etc? I mean I have seen many question on those on TV.

Absolutely! My chart was just focusing on the stock wheel sizes available on my 2004 TB, but once a framework is in place for the different sizes, it would be easy to add more wheels as needed.

Another consideration might be to simply make sub-forums based on tire diameter, since for example the same information would apply to both a 265/75-16 and a 265/70-17.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Nice chart, it should certainly help out a lot of people.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
There are so many different options when it comes to this subject. From 15" to 24" wheels and then some. Tires up to 35", higher with solid axle suspension. It might be nice to start from square one and build a comprehensive list of everything needed for every possible combination. Answer every question and concern out of the gate. I lime the baseline you have going...

NORCAL SS

Dec 4, 2011
for 18-26 inch wheels i've done it i put it in the wheels section.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the roadie said:
Perhaps in the Wheels & Tires forum. Offroading is only reasonably done with 16 or (less desirably) 17 rims.

So, 26", don't even ask? :rotfl:

NORCAL SS

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

for 26s look in my section ive done a few already.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

:squint:

Ohh I like the new long selection of smileys on here :cool:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
Perhaps in the Wheels & Tires forum. Offroading is only reasonably done with 16 or (less desirably) 17 rims.

I truly have to differ on this. 17s are far more common for offroad rigs. Most tire testing is done on 17s and most stock trucks have 17s now. 16s are going the way of 15s. 16s work well because of our baby sized tires even with lifts.

What you really want to remember is to try and keep your rim diameter half of your tire diameter! Nothing wrong with 40's on 20's for a dual purpose rig.

JamesDowning said:
I thought we already had a well documented off-road tire chart: OffRoad TB - View topic - Lift/Tire Chart

:biggrin:

Agreed! Why reinvent the wheel.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
HARDTRAILZ said:
17s are far more common for offroad rigs.
Common wasn't what I was aiming for. When I'm aired down on rocks and sand, I like the 16's performance more than 17's. More sidewall to flex. If those were my only two choices, I'd run 16's. That's all I was saying.
Most tire testing is done on 17s and most stock trucks have 17s now.
But if you're buying new wheels like I was, I see no reason to run 17's over 16's.
16s are going the way of 15s.
If you mean it may be harder to locate new tires on the road if you have an unrepairable puncture, that may be right. Never researched it. But possible difficult field availability of "mission-specific sizes" like 235-85/16 was one of the many bullet points in my old "how do I choose a new tire" checklist.
16s work well because of our baby sized tires even with lifts.
That's what we got to work with. :yes:
Nothing wrong with 40's on 20's for a dual purpose rig.
GMT360 forum? Check. Offroad forum? Check. Discussion of 40's on 20's suitable here? I don't see it. :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
GMT360 forum? Check. Offroad forum? Check. Discussion of 40's on 20's suitable here? I don't see it. :confused:

Thats what I would like to run with a SAS. It may not be all that far out there.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It would be SO COOL to have a section for SAS GMT360s with more than three trucks able to be discussed. :wootwoot: But something tells me that's more in the mission of ORTB than here. We gotta groom the noobs here first to get them salivating for a SAS.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Very true. Already saw someone here wanting to run 37s as his next set of tires...

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
If I'm committed enough to put 39.5"-42" tires on a rig there's no way I'm going to "dual purpose" that rig with 20" wheels.

The majority of true off road tires come in 15" wheel sizes. Sidewall is king. 15" wheels aren't coming on many newer vehicles, but there are tons of tires out there for them still.

I bought 17" wheels only because I planned on converting to EXT brakes.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
From what I have been understanding off a will fit chart, and posts on the other TB forum The Ultimate 'Will it Fit' Chart? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum these are at the max, and over for a stock TB, unless spacers, hammering, lift, or other things are done. Just wondering did I misunderstand, or is this chart missing requirements for going to a 70, or even 265/65 on a stock TB?

245/70-17 | 30.5" | | | | | |
265/65-17 | 30.6" | | | | | |

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
jbones said:
From what I have been understanding off a will fit chart, and posts on the other TB forum The Ultimate 'Will it Fit' Chart? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum these are at the max, and over for a stock TB, unless spacers, hammering, lift, or other things are done. Just wondering did I misunderstand, or is this chart missing requirements for going to a 70, or even 265/65 on a stock TB?

245/70-17 | 30.5" | | | | | |
265/65-17 | 30.6" | | | | | |

Seems I spoke too soon, the other chart does not address those sizes:duh:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We should probably put a huge note in the first post what the THRESHOLD tire sizes are. At that size or below, you can get away cheaper than above. For the "no-mods please, just want larger tire" enthusiasts.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
JamesDowning said:
30.5" diameter... that should be well known to everyone. :cool:

Mine must be the freak with the 30.8" well that is what they listed at.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
We should probably put a huge note in the first post what the THRESHOLD tire sizes are. At that size or below, you can get away cheaper than above. For the "no-mods please, just want larger tire" enthusiasts.

Maybe we could start some kind of combined chart and use color-coding to add in more information... For instance, tires in the green can be added without ANY other mods; tires in the yellow can be used with aftermarket wheel spacers and lift kits; tires in the red require more 'permanent' mods like flipping the UCAs and cutting the fenders for clearance.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
Mine must be the freak with the 30.8" well that is what they listed at.

I think it depends. 30.5" is the "safe" size that pretty much any should fit. Yours aren't that much bigger, and if the tread is slightly narrower it'll clear while another that is slightly wider won't clear.

Tire sizes are like jeans - three different sets, all the same size, yet one is too small, one is too big, and one is just right.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
OK folks, here's my contribution... I made an active table that merges the data from ORTB with my chart. This page allows you to select your wheel size and other options, then gives you the tire sizes available for that combination of choices. Hovering over the column names gives a more detailed description. Please be aware that this page uses javascript to update the view.

http://sourpuss.net/projects/vehicles/trailblazer/wheel_fit_chart.php

If anyone is interested in the code behind it, I use PHP to generate the table, with a tab-delineated flat text file holding the actual data, and a little CSS for the styling.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
OK folks, here's my contribution... I made an active table that merges the data from ORTB with my chart. This page allows you to select your wheel size and other options, then gives you the tire sizes available for that combination of choices. Hovering over the column names gives a more detailed description. Please be aware that this page uses javascript to update the view.

Envoy/Trailblazer Wheel Fit Chart

If anyone is interested in the code behind it, I use PHP to generate the table, with a tab-delineated flat text file holding the actual data, and a little CSS for the styling.

:hail::goodpost: I really like the chart.

FYI I have 265/70/17's with Marks New style lift and I had to Trim inner fender wells and front bumper cover

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:

Envoy/Trailblazer Wheel Fit Chart

Me likey! It seems to not be gathering the data from ORTB properly though.

I may steal the idea (but write my own code) for ORTB if you're not opposed to the idea.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
fishsticks said:

I may steal the idea (but write my own code) for ORTB if you're not opposed to the idea.

What is incorrect from the ORTB data? I actually started with that chart and added my own data, along with the ball-joint flag. The only thing that should be changed from the ORTB data is the order of the entries - I re-sorted them to be in order by tire diameter.

Feel free to use the idea. And if you don't want to reinvent the wheel, the source code is freely available as well.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
fishsticks said:

LOL, if he is pulling data from the original tables at ORTB and you steal his idea for ORTB... How can he object if you are bringing it full circle?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
LOL, if he is pulling data from the original tables at ORTB and you steal his idea for ORTB... How can he object if you are bringing it full circle?

In this day of rampant stupidity, it wouldn't surprise me if someone complained that I stole their (patented) idea of using javascript to change the visible table rows.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Shdwdrgn said:
In this day of rampant stupidity, it wouldn't surprise me if someone complained that I stole their (patented) idea of using javascript to change the visible table rows.

LOL, I was kind of thinking the worst case of someone complaining about using their data that they posted on the sites.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonH

Members Online