What's for dinner??

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Nice recipe, I'll have to try it. Is there a specific purpose for the blanching and cooling or is it just have them all ready for a quick fry?

Some time I'd like to make Cornish Pasty. Onions, potatoes, swede and beef wrapped in a pastry crust. I'd also like to make Scotch Eggs. A hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat and breaded, I like to eat these cold.

Nice cooking blog you have :thumbsup:

For these, the blanching and cooling is just to have them ready for a quick fry. But you can also freeze them for later if you do that as well.

Chips, on the other hand, as far as I'm concerned, MUST be double fried using blanching and cooking...it's the Aussie in me. :biggrin:

Thank you for the compliment! :thankyou:

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Blackened Shrimp and Snow Crab tonight!:tongue:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Badbart said:
Blackened Shrimp and Snow Crab tonight!:tongue:

Part of why miss Tally. Used to workat the old Buckhead Brewery and ate Cj's or got fresh seafood to bring home all the time. Ate so good down there.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Does anyone have a good chili recipe? I love chili, but can never find any good recipes for it. No one is willing to share them either.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
Does anyone have a good chili recipe? I love chili, but can never find any good recipes for it. No one is willing to share them either.

Meat
Chili Powder
Tomato
:raspberry:

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Trying to eat healthy.. Stupid doctors what do they know anyways. I'm having roasted salmon and shrimp over quinoa

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Left over Chile Relleno's with fried rice, cheese sauce and refried beans YUM!

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Hypnotoad said:

1LB of meat, 2 cans of tomato soup, 2 cans of diced tomatos, 2 cans of chilly beens, chilly powder to tast.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I do a good chicken chili that's super easy. All canned stuff- just heat.

2 cans of premium chicken(find it near the tuna cans, but spend the extra $ and get the good stuff)
2 cans of white northern beans
1 jar of chi-chis medium salsa
1 jar of chi-chis mild salsa
1/2 can to full can of chicken stock
2 8oz blocks of pepper jack cheese(cubed)

Put all ingredients in a big pot on LOW heat and stir often until heated all the way through. Resist the temptation to turn on high heat because the bottom of the pot can burn.

Serve with crumbled tortilla chips on top and a little sour cream if you like.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Part of why miss Tally. Used to workat the old Buckhead Brewery and ate Cj's or got fresh seafood to bring home all the time. Ate so good down there.

Buckhead Brewery is STILL closed. When did you leave here?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Badbart said:
Buckhead Brewery is STILL closed. When did you leave here?

Its been 10 years. The place was not bad at all. Surprised it has not re-opened, but the owners and the other stores are around Atlanta.

Hypnotoad said:
You keep your chili recipe in a safe, don't you?

Nope. Just start with that and build. Its never the same twice.

However my recipe that is pretty consistent for Kyle's Kickin Kheesy Khicken Khili is kinda guarded, but regulator did win a chili cookoff in Ftg Wayne last year with it and apparently missed off the lady that was reigning champ.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Busy outside and it got dark fast. For a simple meal/snack, I threw some charcoal in the fireplace and BBQ'd hot dogs and had with salad. Mashmellows for desert! I look forward to some 2" thick pork chops on there sometime. Both my kids love having fires!!!

I use to burn good hardwood...till the nice neighbor behind and a few down called the fire department on me. He came over one night when I was half in the bag with friends and family having a fire and told me I have to put it out because he had smoke in his house. I told him to go home and close his windows and go back to bed (because I was half in the bag). He told me he was going home and gonna get his own hose and put the fire out. I told him to go F himself and that the smoke he was complaining about was actually coming from my immediate neighbor that wanted to have a fire too but was burning brush. Anyways an hour later the firemen and firetrucks, lights a flashing, showed up and told me to put the fire out or I'll get a ticket. The fire started back up again about an hour later and the firemen and firetrucks, lights a flashing, came back and again told me to put it out or they will get thier hose and put it out. I was told by the fireman that I can burn charcoal and only charcoal. Wife drove me all over to find some so I could have a fire again, I went through a whole bag that night and a whole bottle of lighter fuel stuff too. When the flames would die down I told my friend in a loud voice "throw another log on" as I would squirt a good healthy shot of fluid on the charcoal for instant flames. LOL, I even had a youtube video playing through the stereo in the shed of a campfire with all the snapping and crackling sounds. I was hoping he would call the fire department again. Honestly....now that I burn charcoal he gets a lot more smoke and smell over there vs hard wood. Some neighbors are DICKS :confused: ...

Attachments

• DSC02807.jpg
    DSC02807.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02812.jpg
    DSC02812.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02820.jpg
    DSC02820.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02823.jpg
    DSC02823.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02826.jpg
    DSC02826.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 12

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I don't eat Spaghetti so I'm shit out of luck tonight, and will probably have an open face sandwich.

The hell? How can anyone not eat delicious delicious spaghetti?

My wife is an an event tonight so we are doing a boys night in. My 3 year old has declared dinner to be breakfast foods, so I think I am making pancakes and breakfast sausage.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was 50 cent wings and dollar drafts at the local watering hole tonight....no complaints here

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Lima Tango said:
The hell? How can anyone not eat delicious delicious spaghetti?

My wife is an an event tonight so we are doing a boys night in. My 3 year old has declared dinner to be breakfast foods, so I think I am making pancakes and breakfast sausage.

There are a lot of things I don't eat that I used to eat with a smile on my face. I have given up pasta, breads unless their whole grain, and an assortment of other things like soda. I have dropped 25lbs in 5 months. I have 25lbs more to go!

I also don't care for bacon to much, or sausage, or eggs although I'll eat eggs if their mixed with fresh baby spinach and cheese. But just because I don't eat it doesn't mean I won't cook it for the rest of the family. They still get to enjoy whatever foods they want.

Tonight we had chicken, corn, and mashed potatoes. But the kids wanted pizza, so they had pizza :biggrin:

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Preheat oven to 400.

Mix 2 cans cream of potato soup, 1/4 cup milk, 1 cup mixed vegetables (cooked), 1 chicken breast (cooked and cut up) and ground pepper in a 9 inch pie pan.

Mix 1 cup Bisquick, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 egg. Then, pour it on top of chicken mixture in pie pan.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
probably needs a new thread for Thanksgiving.

I am the cook in my house,

tomorrow has a turkey (frozen almost 20 pounds) went in the basement fridge Saturday morning.
bread stuffing (separate from the bird)
mashed potatoes
gravy
butternut squash (cut, boiled and mashed just like potatoes)
green bean casserole (they had those fried onion rings you put on top with instructions just use mushroom soup from the can with some milk)

Rolls and butter

and I have learned to make good homemade pie crust, so pumpkin and apple pies for desert.

in the Thanksgiving spirit, I am thankful for a website full of helpful friendly folks who share what they know and appreciate the help they/(we) find here

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
We had chips and sandwiches because we don't cook the day before Thanksgiving :biggrin:

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
We hosted an "End of Year" party last saturday for my wife's company. Smoked a pork butt roast, 3 slabs of baby back ribs, 2 chickens, and a 14 pound prime rib! A good time was had by all!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I went over to my Newfie neighbor's shed today and he was making rabbit on the stove. They caught these up north in snares. So far I like moose the best, don't really like deer much and after today I can say I don't like rabbit at all. Too strong of a game flavor for me. Oh well, I tried it.

Attachments

• DSC02899.jpg
    DSC02899.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC02898.jpg
    DSC02898.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02897.jpg
    DSC02897.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02894.jpg
    DSC02894.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02893.jpg
    DSC02893.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02900.jpg
    DSC02900.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 9

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like rabbit, but do it in a crockpot.

Tonight is Taco night at the local watering hole, but myself and my buddies prefer to stay at my place and have my wife make em instead. Seems she has a knack for it and it saves us cash. Can't wait!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Going to grill up some sausage patties from the local locker. Make some pasta and a nice salad to go with them. Ought to be pretty tasty!

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Just browned some meatballs with onions and peppers and poured two jars of Emeril's Tomato and Basil spaghetti sauce on them. Got the house smellin good! Garlic bread in the oven!
I gotta say, that rabbit looks good too!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Me and couple buddies were talking about a sale on live lobsters and decided to have a last minute Saturday night Lobsterfest! So we went and bought up 14 of em. What a feast that was...and washed it down with Ameretto shots (1/2 glass fulls) and beers. Was a late night...

Attachments

• DSC02992.jpg
    DSC02992.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02991.jpg
    DSC02991.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02990.jpg
    DSC02990.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02989.jpg
    DSC02989.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02988.jpg
    DSC02988.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02994.jpg
    DSC02994.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02996.jpg
    DSC02996.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02998.jpg
    DSC02998.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC03000.jpg
    DSC03000.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC03001.jpg
    DSC03001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The new LP wok we got from the NTWF Banquet made a nice little feast last night...

The cooker

1-3.jpg

The Veggies

5-3.jpg

Baby Shrimps in with the veg

4-4.jpg

The Steak n Chicken

3-3.jpg

The whole she-bang

2-4.jpg

All served up with some white and wild rice. Simple but incredibly awesome.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
The new LP wok we got from the NTWF Banquet made a nice little feast last night...

The cooker

1-3.jpg

The Veggies

5-3.jpg

Baby Shrimps in with the veg

4-4.jpg

The Steak n Chicken

3-3.jpg

The whole she-bang

2-4.jpg

All served up with some white and wild rice. Simple but incredibly awesome.

Nice cooker, never seen an lp wok before. Dinner looks good!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Uncle Blazer said:
Had a little Culver's last night after a trip to Sams Club with the fam.

I just googled culvers, the triple cheese butter burger sure sounds good! Too bad no Culver's here...

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I just googled culvers, the triple cheese butter burger sure sounds good! Too bad no Culver's here...

It's really good. made fresh to order, delivered to your table. It's the best "fast-ish food" you can get around here.....at least for my money.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
We're having 5 lbs. of Crawfish tonight. Boiled in Zatarain's carb boil with sausage and potatoes. :wootwoot:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I made Kyle's Kickin' Khili this evening and had my parents over for dinner. My mother is a great cook, and her first comment was "Wow, this is a lot better then my white chicken chili !" Certainly high praise to say the least. Thanks again Kyle. :thumbsup:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Handmade pizza up in this bitch. I was good, too. Had a homemade turkey chili last night. Don't know that it would stand up to Kyle's, but it's spicy and smooth. Been refining it for a couple years.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mmmm...may have to do homemade mini pizzas for the game now!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Chili tonight!!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
View attachment 26155

Chili on the menu here too. I brown the meat (use 96% lean to skip the draining), toss the chopped onion on top, then empty the various cans, bring back to a near boil and simmer for a half hour or so.

I also throw in a few Jalapeno peppers I have frozen, a gift from my sister's garden. I cut and remove the seeds before Freezing, too hot for me with the seeds still in. Sometimes I toss in half a green bell pepper, but someone ate it already.

will finish with shredded extra sharp cheddar and optional hot sauce (red or green tobasco)

Attachments

• Photo164.jpg
    Photo164.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online

No members online now.