What's for dinner??

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have always been curious about what people eat, what kind of cuisine they make in their own homes, whether it's steak and potatoes or vegetarian. I love getting new idea's for meals to prepare for my family. So I wanted to start a Food and Recipe thread. A place where we can post what we had for dinner and maybe a recipe or two. Pictures are also encouraged!!

I will go first...(pictures to come when it's done cooking)

Homemade Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn.

Ingredients

1 chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste or Ketchup
2 pounds ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through.

IMG_20120229_151813-1.jpg

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Im making Chicken Tater Casserole! :biggrin:

Chicken Tater Bake Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. Yield: 12 Servings

Ingredients
2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots
Directions
In a large saucepan, combine the soup, milk and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, peas and carrots, and 1 cup cheese.
Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Top with Tater Tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

I dont add the peas and add more cheese instead :cool: Its amazing!!

George

Dec 8, 2011
2lbs ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 small onions
1 med green pepper
2 14.5oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 15oz can pinto beans
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cup brown sugar

Brown beef and drain, add all except pinto beans
Cook 1 hour on simmer covered
Drain pinto beans and add, cook 20 min on simmer uncovered
yum yum !!! :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Great idea. I love to cook and have several recipes to share some time, but tonight for dinner....

Wings from the local joint to thank the guys that helped me get my front diff swapped this past weekend.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
Big Boy Casserole

Cheeseburger in a pan
Number of Servings: 12

Ingredients

1 can of Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits
1 jar Frisch’s tartar sauce (it has to be Frisch’s)- see recipe below* - (you only need 1/2 the recipe)
2 lbs ground beef
1 medium sized jar of dill pickle slices
1 bag shredded lettuce
2 (8 oz) package finely shredded cheddar cheese

*Tartar sauce:
3 1/3 cup of Plain Mayonnaise*
3 1/2 Tablespoons of Sweet Pickle Relish
3 1/2 Tablespoons Minced Onions
1/3 cup of Lemon juice
* I used Low-fat plain yogurt to cut down on the calories
Mix everything together

Directions
In a 13x9 inch dish, first spray with Pam. Next, spread biscuits over bottom of dish and bake according to directions. Once baked, allow to cool a bit and then spread entire jar of tartar sauce over dough (or 1/2 of the included recipe). Cook and drain ground beef. Spread cooked beef over top of the tartar sauce. Layer pickles over the beef; cover all the beef with pickles, but do not layer pickles on top of themselves. Layer shredded lettuce over pickles. Use about ½ - ¾ of the bag. Cover top of lettuce with shredded cheese. Before serving, cook in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

Number of Servings: 12

not eating this tonight but its really good

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Oh wow not a good idea reading this so late at night haha

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I actually have a cooking blog that I post recipes to. Here's the link if any of you are interested: Matt can Cook

Jan 4, 2012
thanks Matt for the link to the website will sure try some of those recipes. my hubby cooks and he makes the best honey glazed carrots, they are good.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The grill is getting a workout tonight. Steak, chicken, mushrooms, red, yellow n orange peppers, onions and tomatoes in the kabob form. Got a nice bourbon glaze for them.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
The grill is getting a workout tonight. Steak, chicken, mushrooms, red, yellow n orange peppers, onions and tomatoes in the kabob form. Got a nice bourbon glaze for them.

sounds good. Perfect weather for grilling too. At least here...it's low 70s with a little breeze.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Sounds yummy everyone!!!

We had Salmon, pasta and steamed carrots, nothing on the grill today as hubby had to work tonight. But we have been giving the grill a good work out since early this week! It's officially 80 degrees here right now, tomorrow will be the same....and I will either be making home made Lasagna or putting something on the grill...to early to decide :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Record setting 81° and food was amazing!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, you all made me so hungry that I said screw making dinner.. I am going out!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I made a few more things that I put on my blog: Matt can Cook. Souvlaki, greek salad, Singapore Noodles and Asian-style baked Salmon.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Russian Spaghetti

P1010038.jpg

1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1 can whole mushrooms
2 TB Flour
1 small can evaporated milk
2 TB sour cream
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can soncomme soup
1/3 c Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 c Red Wine
Cooked paste

Scramble ground beef, add onion flakes and mushrooms. Add Flour, evaporated milk, tomato paste and sauce, consomme soup, worcestershire sauce, and wine. Stir and cook over low heat until shirmp pink quite thick. Continue to cook for 15 mins. Add sour cream. Serve over hot pasta of your choice. Salt and Pepper to taste

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Thats a nice plate of Spaghetti^^^!

Buttermilk battered chicken breast or fifteen minutes ago Mexican Chicken Breast with melted cheddar. Basically a crunchy breaded/battered breast, I cheated and used KFC Big Crunch, these were raw inside but par fried on the outside a bit so they can be cooked in the oven good and crispy. I have a 4L fryer so I deep fried em to 180degres internal which is good and cruncy on the outside. Topped with Mexican salsa and couple shots of Franks xtra hot sauce and lots of shredded cheddar cheese. Put em under the broiler until golden brown starts and good to go. Could also top with spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella for Italian or thin shaved ham and swiss cheese. All would go good with pasta or salad. That was my early lunch.

Attachments

• DSC02740.jpg
    DSC02740.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC02741.jpg
    DSC02741.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC02742.jpg
    DSC02742.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02743.jpg
    DSC02743.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02746.jpg
    DSC02746.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks yummy

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
We are having left over chili

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
jham said:
Spaghetti

This is my favorite meal. I will change xfer case fluid, rotate their tires for a large plate of spaghetti.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
We're gonna try deep frying turkeys this weekend. I was looking on you tube for instructions and marinade options. I found this one, now I've seen everything....:crazy:, Probably got the whole family stoned including the grand parents at Thanksgiving day dinner! :rotfl:
[video=youtube;DEi7UkAwMbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEi7UkAwMbo[/video]

Me an my newfie neighbor got 7 turkeys between us. Maybe we'll cook 2 and let you know how it goes. I think I'll keep searching for a marinade. I just had to share this peculiar find.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
The turkey fryer is from Bass Pro, $189, all stainless steel. Has a nice draining spigot and came with all the extras. The timer shuts the burner off after 15 minutes. A 15lb turkey takes about 3 burner cycles. Well even though it rained we deep fried a couple turkeys on the weekend. It's pretty intense lowering the turkey into the hot oil. After the turkeys we did about 6lbs of fries. The turkey was good and crisp but I found the legs and wings were dry. Next time we're gonna do 10lbs of flour dusted chicken wings.

Attachments

• DSC02801.jpg
    DSC02801.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02800.jpg
    DSC02800.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02798.jpg
    DSC02798.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02795.jpg
    DSC02795.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02792.jpg
    DSC02792.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02772.jpg
    DSC02772.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02769.jpg
    DSC02769.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02785.jpg
    DSC02785.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02787.jpg
    DSC02787.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02789.jpg
    DSC02789.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
We fry stuff pretty often. My buddy just bought a new fryer and is picking up 20 lbs of wings for Friday night. Gonna mix up some of our sauces and have a little wing competition. Should be fun.

Good looking turkey by the way.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
:lipsrsealed: Did I just see a turkey deep frier on a wooden deck? I saw the YouTube video where the guy lit up his home after the oil spilled out all over his deck. Spraying water on it made it worse. But looks good. Will have to get me one.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Okay...I like this thread cuz I like food and like to share. Have you ever eaten pig tails? They are awesome if prepared correctly. They need to be cooked long enough to soften the meat and melt some of the fat off. Around here pig tails come long cut which is the outer tail and about 3-4" of the inner tail or you can get short cut which is just the outer tail, the outer tail is the piece with the skin on it. I prefer long cut. They do have a high fat content but are very very tasty! This is a typical recipe the local country pubs would use. The only thing I'd add to the Chefs recipe below is when you put the tails in a pan to steam cook for 3 hours, add a bunch of whole Cloves in there, and take em out before putting the sauce mix on. Great with mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage or sauerkraut.

A Taste of Waterloo Region
A pig tail recipe from a local Chef

“We often speak about “just what is Canadian cuisine?” Well, nothing suits the bill better than Waterloo County pig tails. Perhaps you have never had this delicacy before, or it has been so long since you have enjoyed them and the recipes have been lost throughout the generations. This is a must-try if you consider yourself to be a local foodie.
There are so many delicious cuts of a pig but we think that each bite of the tail contain the “porky goodness,” especially when cooked with a sweet and sticky sauce – think the best part of ribs, but we feel that this dish is best enjoyed when the weather gets a little cooler, as they can be cooked slowly in the oven for hours.
Our method for cooking these tails is to first steam them with a can of your favourite beer. By doing so, you will cook out some of the excess fat. Once you add the sauce continue to cook uncovered to reduce and caramelize the tails to pure perfection. Trim the tails of some of the fat but leave some on as that is part of the draw of it
As chefs we often get asked where our desire to become chefs came from, and without question it is our families. We love to cook for them and enjoy big family meals. We get requests for ‘pig tails’ from our brothers when asked if they want a ‘special meal’ made for them!
Preheat oven to 300F. Trim excess fat from the pig tails. In a shallow roasting pan place a single layer of tails. Pour beer over top, cover and place in oven. Allow to cook for 3 hours. Remove from oven and pour off excess fat;
Turn oven up to 375 degrees;
Meanwhile, in a small sauce pot combine ginger ale, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, maple syrup and garlic. Reduce by two-thirds on medium-high heat;
Pour reduced sauce over pig tails and bake until sticky gooey goodness, about 30 minutes.”

• 4 lbs pig tails
• 1 bottle beer
• 3 cups ginger ale
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 1/2-cup ketchup
• 1/4-cup mustard
• 1/2-cup maple syrup
• 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (optional)

Enjoy :thumbsup: !

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
This is what I'm making tonight. It's one of the easiest meals I know how to make, which is important around here since we don't have a lot of time.

Easy Baked Salmon

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place fillets skin side down on a sheet of aluminum foil. Coat in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and dried basil leaves. Bake for about 15 minutes.

I serve it with seasoned instant mashed potatoes and microwave steamed veggies.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had wings friday, saturday, and sunday. Tonight we are making this fiesta rice(mom's name) or cheeseburger rice(wife's name)....but it is simple

Brown a lb or so of ground beef and drain.
Keep heat to it and add a can or two of diced tomatoes w jalapenos
Add in a couple cups of cooked rice

Stir and heat it all together for couple minutes

Serve in a bowl topped with a generous helping of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I had wings friday, saturday, and sunday. Tonight we are making this fiesta rice(mom's name) or cheeseburger rice(wife's name)....but it is simple

Brown a lb or so of ground beef and drain.
Keep heat to it and add a can or two of diced tomatoes w jalapenos
Add in a couple cups of cooked rice

Stir and heat it all together for couple minutes

Serve in a bowl topped with a generous helping of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

Sounds good may try with some venison burger.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
Probably wont eat once my wife finds the lift kit that got delivered this afternoon and im workin late no chance to snag it before she gets home. :frown:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Matt said:

Nice recipe, I'll have to try it. Is there a specific purpose for the blanching and cooling or is it just have them all ready for a quick fry?

Some time I'd like to make Cornish Pasty. Onions, potatoes, swede and beef wrapped in a pastry crust. I'd also like to make Scotch Eggs. A hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat and breaded, I like to eat these cold.

Nice cooking blog you have :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Mat works nights, so I have to make quick dinners in order for us all to eat as a family. I think tonight I will do Spaghetti and garlic bread for him and the kids. I don't eat Spaghetti so I'm shit out of luck tonight, and will probably have an open face sandwich.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online

No members online now.