What did you do to your GMT today? [Part II]

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Nice tires! Looks like plenty of nice deep siping. That'll help in the snow.

Reactions: Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Nice tires! Looks like plenty of nice deep siping. That'll help in the snow.
They are the club exclusive version of the Defender series, which most people are very happy with in the snow. Last winter in MI wasn't even winter so odds are I will find out how good the tires are this year.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Ran over a road gator, took out the entire passenger side fender liner. Called a couple of junkyards, they said they had a couple of Trailblazers in the yard, and was getting ready to make the time to go and get one. Not happy about it because it's been raining constantly for the last week.
Just for shits and giggles, I Googled 'inner fender liner', never expecting they were available, but they are. Ordered one from Amazon, should be here Thursday.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the break-in now over, I setup the WDH on the Sierra. Actually no setup at all since it wound up being perfect with the Avalanche's setup. Front ride height was at its unloaded height (37" at fender center) and the rear squatted 1/2" bringing it to 37 1/4". Then towed it to the wastewater treatment plant where they have an RV dump station however I didn't check prior and found it closed on weekends (like that makes sense for RV'ers). Also wound up having to put diesel in it when the light came on. It took 87.9L after being driven 872 km. Not able to calculate actual consumption however the DIC said my best was 7.6L/100 km (~31 mpg). I disregarded my average since it did tow with it at the end of the tank.

Something interesting, I was able to accidentally light up the tires even with the trailer hooked up. No wonder since it has almost the same torque as big brother 6.6L Duramax.

:jawdrop2:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
330,000+ and counting!
That's in miles? That is really good. Mine was scrapped at the same number but in KM because of a dead trans. Wasn't worth it to fix.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Replaced the rear glass lift struts. Bought a pair for the XL/EXT instead of the SWB, but got the correct ones in today. Old ones felt weak but held up, but its nice to have the glass sit higher then when it was sagging before.

Also installed a new plastic cover on the driver seat for the position/lumbar controls, since the plastic clips broke away again. This'll make it replacement #2 within 3 years. I suppose its time to find a shop to replace/renew the foam padding. I'd do it myself, but I don't feel comfortable with undoing everything and having it all go back together correctly...

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Abandoned the Trailblazer at the bottom of the driveway......another no start event. Happy I have a new spare vehicle to drive. I'll try and have a look around the site tonight and read some of the many 'no start threads' as it's bound to be something new.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Replaced the rear glass lift struts. Bought a pair for the XL/EXT instead of the SWB, but got the correct ones in today. Old ones felt weak but held up, but its nice to have the glass sit higher then when it was sagging before.

Also installed a new plastic cover on the driver seat for the position/lumbar controls, since the plastic clips broke away again. This'll make it replacement #2 within 3 years. I suppose its time to find a shop to replace/renew the foam padding. I'd do it myself, but I don't feel comfortable with undoing everything and having it all go back together correctly...
I did the foam repair job a few years ago. Remove the outer side of the leather seat cover to get to the flattened foam underneath. I cut out pieces of foam from another gm seat and glued them in on top of the old foam to lift it back to original height.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Put seat heat in the second row of the colorado... mainly because I can so I did. :tongue:

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Got the TB back up the driveway. Shotgunned a new ignition switch (dash lights were funky before) and remained the same after replacement. Checked the starter with a jumper at the relay and that seems OK. Neutral safety seems fine also. Another observation I noted before it got too dark.....I put my hand on the large connector next to the fuse box and I heard the clatter of the throttle body....good right? The bad thing that I noticed right after was small wift's of smoke from the harness below the front cavity PCM plug. Can't be good. How could they be related?

My thoughts....I still have a NOS engine harness for this. It's a big change all at once....and might hide a simpler problem without fixing anything.....not that it would hurt. I'll
get more into it on the weekend.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Gave some love to the TB. After doing an oil change on the Caprice prior to storage tomorrow, I also did the TB's since it was at 12% OLM and over a year since it was done. I have to drive it more. The brake rotors are rusting quite a bit and the parking brake hardly does anything. I may temporarily take it off the road since we currently don't need two vehicles but then I am also thinking of sparing the new Sierra from some of the winter driving and use the TB more.

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
Bought a battery at O'Reilly Auto online for my son's 2005 TB. Doesn't hold a charge and drives fine after a jump. He says the voltage is good when driving. The battery is 4 years old this month.

Reactions: Mooseman

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
TrailBlazer go BrRrRrRrRr when I stop.

I tried getting that rustly little 5mm Alan bolt off the hub and stripped it completely round. Tried grinding and drilling it out. I finally gave up. The sensor is like $35 versus $170 for a brand new OEM hub. I learned my lesson about trying to fix things they want you to throw away on these trucks. Not wasting my time.

Very disappointed. These are Timken hubs with only 57k miles (92000 km). Getting replaced due to a sensor I can't remove to clean without destroying it or the hub.

I'm going with AC Delco this time. The OEM hubs lasted 95k miles before humming. Sensor never failed on them.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found a wonderful Kia forum owned by some company called VerticalScope. Where have I heard that name before? :dielaugh:

Sure hope you'll still hang around.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well we put some plates back on the C1500 to make a pile of dump runs. Poor girl, haven't checked tire pressure in well over a year as they "looked" good. Apparently 20 to 30psi is a touch on the low side.

Anyways, I ran into a no crank no start condition. First go around took 10+ tries on the ignition to get her to crank and fire. Didn't sound like the starter was clicking. Ran good for a day.

Next day my wife tries and no dice. I get home and test. I can hear the starter click. I go about cleaning rusted grounds to no avail. Tap the starter with a hammer to no avail. My multimeter was out of reach so I jumped it to no avail. Then piss around with the tilt column a few times and she is back to running fine.
We will see how long she lasts but might need a new switch and check wiring in and around the column.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Cleaned out the sun roof drains and mostly dried out the soaked passenger's side carpeting. Blockage was about a foot and a half down the drain hose, based on how much trimmer string I shoved in to it before I had water coming out the bottom of the hose in the door jamb.

Got some funny looks from the trick-or-treaters as I had my head sticking up out of the sun roof, with my headlamp shining in to the corner of the sun roof opening. The funny looks went away when I used the headlamp to spotlight the tray of candy I had set out.

Hope you all had a good weekend, and Happy Hallowe'en!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Received and installed the Autostop Eliminator. Wasted no time to install it. Took about 40 minutes. Works exactly as expected. Now it's perfect :celebrate:

PXL_20211101_173749118.jpg
Must...resist...the...mod... bug!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Took the Sierra tonight to a pro mechanic I trust to try and discern where the 'thumping' noise is coming from in the rear (and whether I damaged the driveshaft / pinion yoke when I incorrectly installed a replacement U-joint and the retaining clip popped out (long story)). I reinstalled another U-joint to replace that one, but noted that the last one gouged the pinion yoke when it came out of the driveshaft (and now I have a second NVH issue, afterward).

Since I introduced *more* problems, trying to fix the original one... I figure I've done enough damage, and it's time for another pair of eyes / ears to work on it.

Was thinking it was a bad axle bearing, so I sourced a rebuild kit from Yukon Gear, for the mechanic, along with the proper inner / outer oil seals, which took some detective work (the Dana 60 rear steer axle (Quadrasteer) has been obsolete for some years, now, and there were never many of them on the road to start with). Kinda like finding the specific parts for an Envoy XUV, I suppose.

As I was driving over to the garage, I realized... the noise might be coming from the axle shaft, itself (it's kind of like a CV joint, including a boot that covers the axial assembly. They're not leaking, but I suppose it's possible that the grease inside needs refreshing. If that's the case, hopefully they can be relubed / rebuilt (those shafts are no longer in the supply channel, and people on eBay, etc., want about $500-$1000 each for them, which I'm not paying -- not when I can source a whole new AAM 'corporate' 14-bolt cheaper than that, or perhaps 1pc replacement shafts from Dana (they're 35-spline, similar to a '60HD' or a 'Super 60')

Will post back once I get the call from the mechanic. Fingers crossed for a good outcome, which would be 'cheap' or 'available' (I know better than to expect both).

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
:hopeless:
20211103_130506.jpg20211103_120454.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1) Got new Cooper AT3 tires installed on the Sierra and will be selling the Generals that came with it. Looks much more like a truck now. Pics to follow...

2) Had the TB aligned after the other shop totally botched it according to the report. It drove like a tractor. Much mo' Betta!

2021-11-0914.11.384854202337793030884.jpg

And now waiting in line to get it oil sprayed. I might also get the Sierra done depending on how long this takes.

Attachments

• 2021-11-0914.10.52713390526898065735.jpg
    2021-11-0914.10.52713390526898065735.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 11

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
What did u do now paul?

Replaced the rusted out power steering cooler on the brother-in-law's TBSS.View attachment 102178
Then I watched as he cleaned up the mess.View attachment 102179
Guy pulled out on a blind corner. He's lucky I have car control and swerved vs tboning him... so far the repair bill is 10k.
1) Got new Cooper AT3 tires installed on the Sierra and will be selling the Generals that came with it. Looks much more like a truck now. Pics to follow...

2) Had the TB aligned after the other shop totally botched it according to the report. It drove like a tractor. Much mo' Betta!

View attachment 102185

And now waiting in line to get it oil sprayed. I might also get the Sierra done depending on how long this takes.
How do you like the cooper's? I have them on the TB and that is what stopped me from putting them on the colorado... they flat spot real bad after sitting for more than a few minutes in my experience... P or LT rated?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got the Sierra oil sprayed and here are some pics of it with its new shoes.

PXL_20211110_190512416_resized4748106066359395735.jpgPXL_20211110_190536299_resized6451001696328517853.jpg

How do you like the cooper's? I have them on the TB and that is what stopped me from putting them on the colorado... they flat spot real bad after sitting for more than a few minutes in my experience... P or LT rated?

Love them. Had them on the Avy all last winter and summer. Not as noisy as I thought they'd be. I think they are P as I can't see an LT anywhere. They have the same load rating as the original General Grabbers and they don't say P or LT neither. Putting up the Grabbers for sale locally.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: xavierny25

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I ran those AT3's in E rating on my old 1500. Seemed to ride and grip well but not overly happy with the wear. Mind you, the caveat was I towed often and I towed heavy with them so its a hard comparison. My duratracs are close to 70,000km and just about done but they too saw some serious

I had been looking at another set to try on my 3500 as a good friend seems to like them on his 3500 DRW. I found a line on some new take offs, wrangler all terrain adventurers that I might pick up.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I ran those AT3's in E rating on my old 1500. Seemed to ride and grip well but not overly happy with the wear. Mind you, the caveat was I towed often and I towed heavy with them so its a hard comparison. My duratracs are close to 70,000km and just about done but they too saw some serious

I had been looking at another set to try on my 3500 as a good friend seems to like them on his 3500 DRW. I found a line on some new take offs, wrangler all terrain adventurers that I might pick up.
The colorado came with the all terrain adventures with Kevlar whatever you call them... couldn't wait to get them off. About 30k in they were about at the wear bar... no rain traction at all, pretty noisy given how mild the tread was (the cooper's in the TB were much quieter) dirt traction was not great... just not a great tire in my experience... I put Michelin LTXs on it and gained everywhere. Hell I don't have to use 4wd on the boat ramp anymore... granted the Goodyear were the only tire I did ever have to... the duratrac is a much better tire imo. Cousin runs them and they're nice.

Reactions: BrianF and Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had never seen those bars before either. Took a peek under mine, and don't even have the mounting holes where those bars are. Could that be one of those quirky things only on the 02 model? :undecided:

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On my 02 TB I'm pretty sure I had them. The 06 Saab too as I remember removing them, and that weird seemingly useless bracket, when the bolts broke off. Can't say I remember them on the 07 TB.

Great, now I'll have to check for those and whenever I go to the yard. :laugh:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't have them on the 07 TB but the holes are there for the J-nuts for them. Maybe they're now just for V8 trucks?

PXL_20211112_211536837_resized2275860851557382614.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online