What are you towing with yours ????

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Wahugg said:
But the 4.2l can still pull its own, plus a wee bit of weight.

View attachment 5277
-------------------------------------------------------------
photobucket-730-1332534720440.jpg

I tow it in 4low with 3.73 gears with out any problems. I just keep it in first gear, and don't go above 10mph due to stopping distance. Plus I never leave the farm with this thing attached. To much of a legal, liability, and safety problem but it hauls nicely.

-Wahugg

Try pulling it fully loaded? Sod Farm?

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
Sharp eye for noticing its a sod farm. No I do not haul it fully loaded with sod. I probably could pull it with much protest, but it would stress way to many parts for my comfort. I only haul it 1/2 way loaded with dry sod if I go the hilly way, 3/4 max on the flat, top fields. I also use it to haul around awkward structures for our lynard and piping for irigation at the begining of the year. Also when the water flows over our dikes (we live right next to the scioto river), we put a thousand gallon tank of diesel on it, as well as 2 massive pumps and park it ontop of the dikes to pump the water out.

-Wahugg

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
Wahugg said:
Sharp eye for noticing its a sod farm. No I do not haul it fully loaded with sod. I probably could pull it with much protest, but it would stress way to many parts for my comfort. I only haul it 1/2 way loaded with dry sod if I go the hilly way, 3/4 max on the flat, top fields. I also use it to haul around awkward structures for our lynard and piping for irigation at the begining of the year. Also when the water flows over our dikes (we live right next to the scioto river), we put a thousand gallon tank of diesel on it, as well as 2 massive pumps and park it ontop of the dikes to pump the water out.

-Wahugg

Wow !!!! so how much weight are you pulling with te loads on then ???? How heavy is the trailer alone ???/ How about brakes??? Thats the most interesting post in this section so far for me !!!!:biggrin:

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
Well these are the aprox number for weight:

Trailer: 12k~
With half a trailer of sod: 20k~
Toung weight: 100~ pounds

Stopping isn't to eventfull unless its muddy. Just have to give yourself enough room, and be careful not to brake too hard. The biggest problem is traction. If you do you loose traction, it won't really slow you down, and it can put you into a jack knfie situation if it pushes your rear end out on you. But it actually stops quite we'll. Like I said I only go 10mph max.

Many might say why not use a tractor? Well all our tractors have the PIA unsycronised gear boxes. Basically if you start in a gear, that's the gear your stuck in till you almost completely stop. That limits me to first gear, grade A or B, wich is 5 or 6 mph on most of the tractors at a reasonable rpm, other wise they tend to stall or buck alot in a higher gear when the clutch is engaged, even slowly. Since the tb has a TC I don't have that problem, and in the hot hot summer, the 15 or so minutes in the A/C cabin of the trailblazer is a nice refresher. Plus I can go that little bit faster and I have a nice smooth ride over the bumpy farm roads with my tunes playing throught the radio.

-Wahugg

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Wahugg said:
Well these are the aprox number for weight:

Trailer: 12k~
With half a trailer of sod: 20k~
Toung weight: 100~ pounds

Stopping isn't to eventfull unless its muddy. Just have to give yourself enough room, and be careful not to brake too hard. The biggest problem is traction. If you do you loose traction, it won't really slow you down, and it can put you into a jack knfie situation if it pushes your rear end out on you. But it actually stops quite we'll. Like I said I only go 10mph max.

Many might say why not use a tractor? Well all our tractors have the PIA unsycronised gear boxes. Basically if you start in a gear, that's the gear your stuck in till you almost completely stop. That limits me to first gear, grade A or B, wich is 5 or 6 mph on most of the tractors at a reasonable rpm, other wise they tend to stall or buck alot in a higher gear when the clutch is engaged, even slowly. Since the tb has a TC I don't have that problem, and in the hot hot summer, the 15 or so minutes in the A/C cabin of the trailblazer is a nice refresher. Plus I can go that little bit faster and I have a nice smooth ride over the bumpy farm roads with my tunes playing throught the radio.

-Wahugg

Wow, really impressive :biggrin: Guess you MPG is down some with that on the back :biggrin:
Really interesting post. Tough dogs the Trailblazers eh :smile:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I wanna see an exploder try and do that load.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Sometimes, I have good days in my hobby :smile:. The Trailblazer helps this, LOL

5190436160_de2c3a254a.jpg

5189837721_29f13c7fb6.jpg

5189837799_d506d4b823.jpg

Truck handled it all like a champ. Each game weigh about 200 lbs, so say 1200 lbs plus the trailer.

Chris

2001FZ1

Dec 27, 2011
I'll be hauling a 5x8 enclosed U-haul trailer this weeked. I'll be putting two beds, two dressers and closet shelving in it. Wonder how the mpgs will be...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
I'll be hauling a 5x8 enclosed U-haul trailer this weeked. I'll be putting two beds, two dressers and closet shelving in it. Wonder how the mpgs will be...

Probably not bad since there will be only a few hundred lbs in the trailer.

Boog2006

Dec 3, 2011
Thought I'd move the playhouse storage building I've been working on. This is towing right?

07747f41.jpg

7719f804.jpg

7147e948.jpg

a06d8fe0.jpg

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Yep, thats still towing. I have a video somewhere on one of my computers of me pulling a barn/shed, that I hope I didn't delete.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
kenmyfam said:
Would love to see that one :biggrin:

Do you ever tow anything with wheels ???

I'll try to find it. Yes, stuff with wheels. But I like to tow stuff without, like pulling some trees out of the roadway after a tornado came through.

2001FZ1

Dec 27, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

14.5mpgs pulling that U-hual 230 miles of mostly highway driving with the cruise set at 60mph. $78 to fill up....

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

It's not so much the weight that kills the mileage. More so the wind resistance. Any enclosed trailer, even empty, will cause the mileage to take a big hit.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Behold, the $400 Craigslist utility trailer...

View attachment 20220

I have about another $400 invested in it, too. New tires, new wheel bearings, new wood. It's a homebrew model made from angle iron.

Attachments

• TB_at_Dorena.jpg
    TB_at_Dorena.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 50

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
it's a 2008 crestliner super hawk 1850 with a 150 merq efi and a 9 hp kicker.. View attachment 5872:wootwoot:

How does a Trailblazer do at the boat ramp? How much of it ends up in the water when you put a boat in/take a boat out? And how do our trucks stand up to repeated dunkings? :wink:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ElAviator72 said:
How does a Trailblazer do at the boat ramp? How much of it ends up in the water when you put a boat in/take a boat out? And how do our trucks stand up to repeated dunkings? :wink:

My father has driven Envoys since they came out (and Jimmys before that) and just got rid of what I believe was his 6th GMT360. He had a 18.5' bass boat the whole time, and has never had any issues loading/unloading. In the even that a particular launch is looking fairly slippery, he woulf just put the truck in 4wd on his way out and it pulled out no problem.

Only time he nearly had some issues is last summer he had my mom back the trailer down the ramp so he could get the boat out of the way once it hit the water, when the boat slid off, she went to pull out, but hit the gas without putting it in drive. His Denali backed in far enough that it was wet halfway up the rear windshield. Rear end was well off the paved portion of ramp. Only thing that saved it was she panicked and slammed it in drive without taking her foot out of it. Plus it was already in 4wd. Drove right out. No damage at all, other than the taunting from others at the launch.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
ElAviator72 said:

Well it does really good at the boat ramp.. i use the 4 wheel drive option just as a precaution. When i put it in i just get the back tires wet so not much of the TB get's wet.. as far as the repeated dunking thing.. i have not noticed anything .. i dont think it affects it anymore than driving in the rain.. all in all it pulls it really well.. i dont drive any faster than 62 while i pull it.. i do this for the fuel mileage more than anything.. i will pull it at 70 but then i pay for it at the pump.

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
really suprised with how the TB did while towing this up the dirt hills and the handling of the truck. load looks alot smaller in the pic but its alittle less than a ton of stuff(it was an old shed) The TB continues to impress me :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0409121036.jpg
    0409121036.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 42

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
View attachment 20314
Here is one of my four wheelers just got some new shoes on it figured could use a shining at the carwash

Attachments

• photo (38).jpg
    photo (38).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40
  • photo (39).jpg
    photo (39).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 37

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
I figured I'd post this just to confuse people :crazy:

But here is mine hauling in the atv for a brand new front differential and transmission under warranty.

2012-04-04_18-55-40_811.jpg

-Wahugg

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
ElAviator72 said:

Really well. We have saved a few folk over the years at the ramp with ours. (Trailblazer and previously Jimmy)

RedLabrador

Apr 22, 2012
my brother's grand prix blew a motor about 75 miles from home.
381610_10100331144570645_22400297_49888335_934488913_n.jpg

and just this past weekend, mower/roller for my lawn
View attachment 20524

Attachments

• 541629_10100597465137095_22400297_51030804_1479798318_n.jpg
    541629_10100597465137095_22400297_51030804_1479798318_n.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 29

LBB

Apr 5, 2012
kenmyfam said:
Pictures would be nice but yes, towing is towing !!!!:biggrin:

Yeah the weather was kind of bad. Heavy snow fall, ice, and I actually forgot to take a picture.
And it was sau kalt if I can say this.

I will take one next time I do so.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harrisons

Members Online