What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went for an afternoon sled ride after readjusting the throttle position sensor and replacing the belt on my sled. Ride was beautiful, really sunny and almost no other sleds on the freshly groomed trails. Heading back home though, the setting sun was mostly directly in my eyes. Even with the sun visor in my helmet, I wound up with a mammoth headache. Still a good day.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Going sledding again today before the rain comes :frown:. Then dinner out with the family.

• Love
Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not at work because roads are awful. 2 inches of very heavy wet snow is much worse than 5 of dry. In 1 mile saw 12 cars stuck or slid off the road. I was doing fine in the truck but not worth risking getting slid into again. And a 40 mile commute at 10 mph would take way too long to be worth it.

PTO it is.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was worried about our weather, but the TB cruised 80 mph right through the crud, but we did not have that much

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Some kinda event going on at work, that invited a bunch of people to the building. We have limited parking, shared with the company next door, so management wanted staff to park offsite, and carpool to the office. My boss gave me the option of working from home, so jumped on that!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Replaced three of the ancient and dead 8ft fluorescent fixtures in the garage. Replacements are 4ft led units that harbor freight has had on sale, bought one on a whim and was highly impressed. So far they appear to put out more than enough light for my needs. Now to get three more to finish the rest and see how long they last.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Replaced three of the ancient and dead 8ft fluorescent fixtures in the garage. Replacements are 4ft led units that harbor freight has had on sale, bought one on a whim and was highly impressed. So far they appear to put out more than enough light for my needs. Now to get three more to finish the rest and see how long they last.

Man, I so need to do this and I did notice that HF started selling those recently. Good to hear that they kick out a healthy amount of light.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Man, I so need to do this and I did notice that HF started selling those recently. Good to hear that they kick out a healthy amount of light.

Biggest thing will be longevity. If they last, they're one heck of a bargain and seem to work terrifically. If not, well, it sure looked promising.

Don't seem to get too hot either, which is a big killer, had one running a couple hours for light to hang the others by and it stayed surprisingly cool.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nice find. I've got some big fluorescent assemblies in my shed that are mostly dead. I'm never in there once the sun goes down, so hasn't been a priority, but this is a great option. :yes:

Earlier this evening, helped my sister run some stuff from my house to her new place. So now I can officially say she's not staying here anymore. Just have to wait for her painfully slow process of moving the rest of her crap out. I think the apartment she's got is too small, it already looks like a storage locker. Oh well, not my problem... :whistle:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Going for lunch with my eldest son, then a trip to Costco for usual supplies and pickup a set of wheel chocks that are on sale at Princess Auto for the trailer. Right now using a pair of old drum brake shoes :redface:

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Scored some free 18" slicks, we'll be putting a line lock in soon. Already know what tires I'm using for the fronts to match the slick's diameter. @xavierny25 you'll be happy to know, your wheels will be my dedicated drag pack 🆒

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Having a POETS day to get a new battery and do the groceries.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sledding. That is all.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Slow day in the office so far, so plowing through some busy work and data cleanup to pass the time. Counting down until lunch time, and then quitting time. Plan to buy a Mega Millions and Powerball ticket for this weekend, cuz why not? Can't win if you don't play right?

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Went to the junkyard. Found two sets of smoked mirror turn signal lenses. I was under the impression that those were pretty rare, am I wrong? Also saw a long wheel base with the new front end. 87614

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Went to the junkyard. Found two sets of smoked mirror turn signal lenses. I was under the impression that those were pretty rare, am I wrong? Also saw a long wheel base with the new front end. View attachment 87614
If your selling a set I'd buy it.:2thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm putting off all my chores and crap until tomorrow. I felt like having a lazy day today. Lots of couch potato action, watching TV and considering a nap in a bit. :yes:

Found two sets of smoked mirror turn signal lenses. I was under the impression that those were pretty rare, am I wrong?

They are about as rare as an 06+ LT front end, compared to the LS front end, when comparing to the amber lenses you usually see. The main thing is the smoked lenses are a lot more expensive brand new...

Reactions: Matt and wstuckey1

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Had the blue Sierra towed to the shop that's gonna rebuild the diff. $160 - and that was the cash price. Definitely a shocker for me -- I don't recall the last time I'd had something towed (at least, the last time I 'requested' a tow, vs. having one forced upon me...lol)

I did get a receipt so that I could submit it for reimbursement through my insurance (and they had just asked me if I wanted roadside / towing coverage when I put the liability coverage on earlier this week).

Considering I could get a brand new ring / pinion for about $325 in the ratio of my choice, maybe I should've just driven the 12 miles to the shop, considering. But the 2-3 loud 'bangs' I heard & felt when I drove the truck to get tires the other day made me think twice about that. By 'felt', I mean that the rear seemed to hang / lift off the ground, there was so much force. Noticed that if I drove really gingerly under 45mph, that I didn't get any more 'bangs'.

Guessing I broke and / or chipped the R&P, which is a shame - they looked perfect when I had the cover off & inspected them.

I'll know what I'm looking at, come Monday... sigh...

Reactions: BrianF and Matt

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Went to the junkyard. Found two sets of smoked mirror turn signal lenses. I was under the impression that those were pretty rare, am I wrong? Also saw a long wheel base with the new front end. View attachment 87614
They were on 2007-2009 LT models if I recall.

Reactions: wstuckey1

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Work this afternoon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday, worked on the sled that was throwing an intermittent code 33 (open circuit coil #1) and running like crap. Had to limp it home on Friday for over 50km. Swapped the coils and I couldn't reproduce the problem but it was running a little off. Swapped the suspect coil with a spare I had and seems to be running much better. I think it knows it's on its way out and starting to act up.

Today, watching the rain and then we're going to a friends' place for dinner.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yesterday, worked on the sled that was throwing an intermittent code 33 (open circuit coil #1) and running like crap.
Those things use OBD ? How cool. Std format (that you can read with anything), or proprietary?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those things use OBD ? How cool. Std format (that you can read with anything), or proprietary?

It's a Yamaha FI 500cc. Uses it's own gauge panel (or pod) to display codes from the ECU as soon as they happen. Can also go into diagnostic mode to check and test individual systems and can also alter air/fuel ratios if needed. Doesn't have an O2 sensor but does have two MAPs (one for each cylinder) and can precisely meter fuel at 12 000 RPM. Also uses COPs. Double overhead cams and 5 valves per cylinder. Quite an engineering marvel!

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I will admit that those Yammies are a cool design!

As for me, staying warm. Sask is getting back to the deep freeze. Only -30C this morning. Apparently a -40 windchill but the air is still and the suns out. It really is a nice day.

I need to get my Ram into a warm garage again as it was beginning its almost routine cold weather shake and mandatory ice build up on the chassis.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got up this morning to do a little yard work. Noticed some weeds sprouting in one section of the yard, so addressed those. The garage needed to get swept out, so took care of that while it as still cool outside.

Was supposed to install a new hard drive for a friend, and get a free lunch out of the deal. Got there, and the SSD he bought, didn't come with cables, and he didn't have an extra one. Luckily his case was nice, and a tool-less design, so I told him what to order, and what to do when he got it. Simple enough. They took me to lunch anyway, so we got some tacos and chatted for a bit.

Home now, sister stopped by to drop off the baby. So I'm babysitting for the next hour or so while she takes care of some stuff, and then will load up her car to get more stuff out of my house. Baby steps.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Quite an engineering marvel!
It's a Yamaha. 'Nuff said 👍

The amazing thing to me about that company is how diversified they are - everything from musical instruments, to consumer electronics, to car engines. And while they're not 'best of breed' in any (?) of them, they're generally considered top-tier, or at the very least, high-mid-tier.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Back in the cube village

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Work today. Work tonight. And dreaming of getting getting time and a place to do fun projects.

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Work. Then I’m getting some bolts for my flathead and going to the gym. If I have time I’m installing my intake and exhaust manifolds with said bolts. The bolts I bought for the exhaust manifolds were too short. Just barely long enough to grab. Intake is just sitting. 87632

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That's so cool, I aways wanted to build one of those but, good late Flatties are getting rare and pricey now.
Don't you love how Henry F. went nuts with the head bolts.... :2thumbsup:

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
That's so cool, I aways wanted to build one of those but, good late Flatties are getting rare and pricey now.
Don't you love how Henry F. went nuts with the head bolts.... :2thumbsup:
Thank you. I found this one (and the truck that came with it) for a steal. The guy had to move and the guy selling his house is a good friend of mine. He told me to go ask about the truck because he had to sell it and it would probably be cheap. $500 later and I have a 1949 f3 legoset. :laugh:
The flatty is bored and stroked. Don’t remember the exact specs but it’s pretty decent. Hoping to make ~150-200 hp when it’s done.
The rest of the truck is pretty clean but it needs to be assembled.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube village for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online