Thinking of the Baby Duramax

OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Looking a bit, the problem I find is they're mostly high km and/or lifted and/or clapped out. I'm just gonna keep an eye out and if something comes up, I'll look at it.

littleblazer

Gold Supporter
There was an 07 ltz near me listed at 30k. Think was clean and in the midnight blue iirc. Had 70k on it. It didn't stick around long. Short of the mileage a lot of them around here hold up surprisingly well with rust in the 2500 form. On the work truck the only rust is on the replacement door skin from when it got hit and the utility bed is rotting out. Frame and everything else looks better than the 21 did as delivered. They do exist still though.

BrianF

If I recall the 2007 got the power bump and 6 speed but no dpf while the 2007.5 has the power bump but has dpf. I'm not sure which years have the egr.

TollKeeper

Gold Supporter
All of them had the EGR back to at least 1995 with the 6.5 NA and Turbo

OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Still no news on the truck I put a deposit on but here's a new kink in the works:

So do I wait for the 2022's? I would rather have that extra towing capacity. The 3.0 is able to tow that much however it's the rest of the truck that has to be upgraded with the max towing package which is apparently now available. Although even with the current 9000# limit on the 2021, I'd still be within the limits of my 7500# max trailer weight. The kink is that 2022 is supposedly going to be even worse for chip shortages and buying any new vehicles will be horrendously difficult and expensive.

Decisions, decisions....

Last edited:

BrianF

Well that just sounds like a shit sandwich. Personally I would like the higher tow rating. While weight is not really the issue, its that wind load those campers have. Having extra cooling capacity and the ability to haul ass sure makes things nice.

Last edited:
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

My thinking exactly. I hadn't really thought about the extra cooling but having experienced the heat while towing with the Avy, I should opt for that. And the new interior is also very attractive. Just too many pluses for the 2022.

Here's my idea. Shitcan the 2021 I put a deposit on and order a 2022 now with exactly what I want. And from what I hear, factory ordering may be the only way to go this upcoming year. I can run with the TB and Avy for the winter and by springtime, the truck should be ready just in time for camping season.

It's always better to have more and not need it than need more and not have it. So unless they offer me a smoking hot deal on the 2021, which I doubt, I'm probably gonna go with a 2022.

BrianF

That cooling is king. I read a lot on those ecodiesels and the first 4 years had terrible cooling capacity when towing. Undersized rad and most of the grills used had poor flow. Sounded like a lot of owners ran extremely hot and or were hitting defuelling limits.

My 3500 has wicked cooling. At the heaviest I ever had it, going damn near all out up hill, the trans temp was not even hot and the big mechanical fan roared and coolant never got much above 105C. It was a nice feeling as I have run enough junk over the years having to limit gears, rpm, have the heater going with the windows down trying to keep the shit box on the road.

cornchip

That cooling is king. I read a lot on those ecodiesels and the first 4 years had terrible cooling capacity when towing. Undersized rad and most of the grills used had poor flow. Sounded like a lot of owners ran extremely hot and or were hitting defuelling limits.

My 3500 has wicked cooling. At the heaviest I ever had it, going damn near all out up hill, the trans temp was not even hot and the big mechanical fan roared and coolant never got much above 105C. It was a nice feeling as I have run enough junk over the years having to limit gears, rpm, have the heater going with the windows down trying to keep the shit box on the road.

So true. Jeep's JT Gladiator's have limited cooling area compared to similar RAM equipped trucks and a predictable outcome. 🔥

y4mp9BABZe7FfnzAuNad7yuAV5Or_ClviK3i88w7nKbnOUxkxxlRBb8K-WTNOknmRCicOBpI9s9t6sLbYLGlEv4gjcSNtEZ-JhqBwPGN-LCwnOrpvg580IWWrl1mUQClJ85kWc42YgC-mMp57w62GKVbsCSvcO18Ug0qB7ievJMeB7Fb_88BZTfmqA-v6Bx9Oom

TollKeeper

Gold Supporter
From everything I am reading, the BabyMax is on Constraint (not available) for the 2022 models. Chip shortage.

OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

5hUjGCT.gif

TollKeeper

Gold Supporter
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

From everything I am reading, the BabyMax is on Constraint (not available) for the 2022 models. Chip shortage.
Dammit! However, reading a couple of articles, they are calling it a temporary pause. Ford has however DISCONTINUED their 3.0 Powerstroke.

But then, I just saw a video of a guy explaining that as soon as the chip shortage is over, there will be a flood of new vehicles coming onto the market from the ones that were built without the missing chips being stockpiled. However, this is all speculation from a guy talking from the wing of his airplane!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18gmc2500HDcrewLB6.6L

Secure Browsing

Top Bottom