Thinking of the Baby Duramax

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would except we have nowhere to go right now. I might do it today to set up the WDH and tow it to the wastewater plant to dump the tanks. They've been full of water and tank cleaner for over 3 weeks. Should be clean by now.

We're hoping to be able to go to North Bay in 3 weeks or so to visit our son and granddaughter. That will be a good test. Manual does say to not tow for the first 500 miles (805 km) not drive it over 55 mph. Yeah, like that's gonna happen!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The break in is really only for the diff. Having seen what came out of mine after a couple thousand miles... I wouldn't push it personally but plenty of people don't even know about it and are just fine. I will say after 3-400 miles my truck ran and drove a lot better. The work truck too. Kind of felt like it all settled in you know?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
and when all else fails...DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT :yes:
My motto after break in was: I have a warranty. If I can break anything by pushing it... may as well be now. I paid for it so I'll use it damn it.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only problem is that these new PCMs are like black boxes and may retain enough data to say if it was taken out break in specs so if there is a catastrophic failure, they could pull it out and deny my claim. Yeah, I know that such failures are few and far between. Heck, I've seen so many new patrol cars and trucks get tortured from day 1 and they last forever.

I turned on teen driver mode so that it will warn me if I go above 88 km/h (55 mph). It's absolutely brutal on the highway. Funny thing is that when I turned it on, it was already set to that speed. And no, I'm not towing with it until it reaches 805 km when the break in is over.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have mine set to 85. Being most highways around here top out at 65 MPH 75+ is generally pushing it. however I can also say the speed limiter is dumb because it pulls on that like a freight train then stops dead lol... IIRC its around 93 MPH before the ECM says that's fast enough.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't change the teen driver speed governor and it's set at 126 km/h (78 mph). That's probably because of speed limits in the US but even that doesn't make any sense since highway speed limits are different state to state. All I can do is have a warning when it's above 88 km/h (55 mph, corrected in my previous post). Our highway speed limit here is 100 km/h (62 mph) and I generally drive 10-20 km/h (6-12 mph) over the limit as cops here generally don't start pulling you over until 20 over the limit.

Anyway, yesterday, ordered a set of floor liners and splash guards from GM. They were both competitively priced when bought on another local dealer's website selling at wholesale rather than retail price and has the option for free local pickup. I would have bought them from the dealer I bought the truck from but they don't offer that price. And I didn't have much choice for the splash guards as the only other ones available were from Weathertech and were more expensive.

Still super happy with it. This thing is so quiet you can't tell it's a diesel. And the infotainment system integrates well with my phone with Android Auto so I have lots to choose from between my Spotify, SiriusXM, HD radio. And when my wife is driving it, it will also connect with Apple Carplay to her phone and will be able to take calls. Gone are the days of having to swap to an aftermarket HU to get any kind of decent connectivity.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sorry I was mixing up the hard speed limiter in the ECM with teen driver and the separate speed alert. I'm very tired lol.

You have the premium setup correct? Bose? If so how do you like how it sounds. The one in mine was surprisingly decent. Hell even the 03 was adequate.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's like an LT1 I guess and it does have Bose. Doesn't have leather nor a lot of the bells and whistles of the Denali but it is nicely equipped.

Just another 500km to go...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Gotcha. I actually did the leather myself in the work truck. Couldn't order a bed delete with it. Love those buying options.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I'll close this thread with this. This truck's fuel consumption is amazing. Still on my original first tank of diesel and have so far racked up just over 700 km and it says I should get another ~270 km from the 1/4 tank I have left. My best average has been 7.6L/100km (~31MPG). If I were to drive strictly highway, that's probably what I'd get. It's insane for a truck! I will be tracking my fuel consumption using Fuelly.

My ONLY real complaint is that the turning circle is like a school bus, but that's expected in a long vehicle like this. I have to remember this when I want to do a U-turn. And that f****** auto stop/start is such a useless PITA. I put a sticker to remind me to turn that crap off. When I was test driving it, it was raining and while stopped at a light, the windshield started fogging up. The engine and A/C compressor had stopped so no moisture removal despite having defrost on. Sometimes I forget to turn that sh!t off and it stops at the corner. It doesn't restart fast enough for me going from the brake to gas. There is an aftermarket add-on module that remembers the last state of the system and put's it back on your next restart. However, is it worth $99 USD + $6 shipping to Canada? I think I'll keep my sticker or may try my own with a timed switch relay. It's just a PITA to get to the switch wiring having to take apart the floor console and center stack. Or maybe I can find the wires at the BCM.

So I'll likely start a build thread although it might not be much of a "build", more like minor mods.

Thanks all for helping me through the decision process. Certainly very happy with this purchase :2thumbsup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I can concur with the turning radius... the 07 being a double 8 foot bed turns a circle exactly the same as my cclb colorado. (Mind you specs say it doesn't but hooking a left out the driveway from the same marked spot results in the truck centerline about a quarter inch apart from eachother.) And toms crew cab regular (the shorter bed on the 1500) 21 silverado.

It was to the point where we were working one day and he watched me pop a U turn on a street and literally just was like... how the hell did you do that. I don't know how GM royally effed that up but their trucks were some of the best turning circle wise. Go look at the radius on a new F450 and let me know if you believe that or not. Fairly impressive for the size truck.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
My best average has been 7.6L/100km (~31MPG)
I'm officially envious. 💚
Be sure to post back with towing MPG, when you get it. I'm especially curious, as our trailers are similar in size / weight.
You may sway me over to 'Team Diesel', yet. LOL

There is an aftermarket add-on module that remembers the last state of the system and put's it back on your next restart. However, is it worth $99 USD + $6 shipping to Canada?
Looked up the link. At first blush, I'd say 'nope' (I have a similar situation with my Sierra's throttle body (8-wire), and refuse to spend $250 for the adapter harness to allow the later (6-wire) versions to be used).

Two reasons I might eventually spring for the restart module, if I were in your situation...

- The continued aggravation of waiting for the restart, if you forget to disable it, beforehand (I'll guess that it can't be disabled during a run sequence, and you'd have to pull over to cycle the engine, if you wanted to turn if off). Purchasing it would make my wallet lighter, but keep my BP down -- cheaper than a coronary or a stroke. :wowfaint:

- As one of the reviews mentioned... he was fearful of wear / tear on the starter motor (so, if true, it'd be cheaper in the long run).

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well at least it's disabled in tow mode and I've been remembering most of the time to turn it off.

The starter motor is apparently beefed up for the auto stop/start and they also equip it with an AGM battery.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to tow with it before the snow flies. Should be interesting.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Old thread.. Thought this would be useful for you @Mooseman

• Wow
Reactions: azswiss

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw that one. Looks to have been a lack of oil. I watch mine like a hawk. Was very interesting watching the teardown. The oil pump belt was in very good condition despite the mileage so it is very robust. It's now rated for 200k miles.

I can say I'm still very happy with my little diesel except the price of the fuel has been going up again, much higher than gas.

One thing I haven't mentioned is I disabled the auto stop-start using the Eliminator. Totally useless and a PITA. It tows our 7000# trailer without issues except the engine braking is almost non-existent.

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
One thing I haven't mentioned is I disabled the auto stop-start using the Eliminator
Does yours have the ASS defeat button below the start button ? Our new Blazer does ...if you remember to hit it on start-up...:undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It does but I always forgot to hit it and it would stop the engine when I get to the first stop sign :mad: . The ASS Eliminator basically presses the button on startup if that's what you had it at on shutdown. You can turn it back on and it will be on at next startup. Mine is ALWAYS off. :thumbsup: Well worth the $100.

There is another one that's a little more expensive and easier to install but it permanently disables it. It does something to the battery sensor.

And if you want to make something yourself, there's another way but it might disable remote start:

Reactions: Redbeard

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I don't have any vehicles that have the stop/start feature but what a nifty work around to turn it off with "hood open" bypass! I have driven a friends car with the stop/start feature and strongly dislike it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.