Thinking of the Baby Duramax

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looking a bit, the problem I find is they're mostly high km and/or lifted and/or clapped out. I'm just gonna keep an eye out and if something comes up, I'll look at it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
There was an 07 ltz near me listed at 30k. Think was clean and in the midnight blue iirc. Had 70k on it. It didn't stick around long. Short of the mileage a lot of them around here hold up surprisingly well with rust in the 2500 form. On the work truck the only rust is on the replacement door skin from when it got hit and the utility bed is rotting out. Frame and everything else looks better than the 21 did as delivered. They do exist still though.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
If I recall the 2007 got the power bump and 6 speed but no dpf while the 2007.5 has the power bump but has dpf. I'm not sure which years have the egr.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
All of them had the EGR back to at least 1995 with the 6.5 NA and Turbo

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Still no news on the truck I put a deposit on but here's a new kink in the works:

So do I wait for the 2022's? I would rather have that extra towing capacity. The 3.0 is able to tow that much however it's the rest of the truck that has to be upgraded with the max towing package which is apparently now available. Although even with the current 9000# limit on the 2021, I'd still be within the limits of my 7500# max trailer weight. The kink is that 2022 is supposedly going to be even worse for chip shortages and buying any new vehicles will be horrendously difficult and expensive.

Decisions, decisions....

Last edited:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well that just sounds like a shit sandwich. Personally I would like the higher tow rating. While weight is not really the issue, its that wind load those campers have. Having extra cooling capacity and the ability to haul ass sure makes things nice.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My thinking exactly. I hadn't really thought about the extra cooling but having experienced the heat while towing with the Avy, I should opt for that. And the new interior is also very attractive. Just too many pluses for the 2022.

Here's my idea. Shitcan the 2021 I put a deposit on and order a 2022 now with exactly what I want. And from what I hear, factory ordering may be the only way to go this upcoming year. I can run with the TB and Avy for the winter and by springtime, the truck should be ready just in time for camping season.

It's always better to have more and not need it than need more and not have it. So unless they offer me a smoking hot deal on the 2021, which I doubt, I'm probably gonna go with a 2022.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
That cooling is king. I read a lot on those ecodiesels and the first 4 years had terrible cooling capacity when towing. Undersized rad and most of the grills used had poor flow. Sounded like a lot of owners ran extremely hot and or were hitting defuelling limits.

My 3500 has wicked cooling. At the heaviest I ever had it, going damn near all out up hill, the trans temp was not even hot and the big mechanical fan roared and coolant never got much above 105C. It was a nice feeling as I have run enough junk over the years having to limit gears, rpm, have the heater going with the windows down trying to keep the shit box on the road.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
That cooling is king. I read a lot on those ecodiesels and the first 4 years had terrible cooling capacity when towing. Undersized rad and most of the grills used had poor flow. Sounded like a lot of owners ran extremely hot and or were hitting defuelling limits.

My 3500 has wicked cooling. At the heaviest I ever had it, going damn near all out up hill, the trans temp was not even hot and the big mechanical fan roared and coolant never got much above 105C. It was a nice feeling as I have run enough junk over the years having to limit gears, rpm, have the heater going with the windows down trying to keep the shit box on the road.

So true. Jeep's JT Gladiator's have limited cooling area compared to similar RAM equipped trucks and a predictable outcome. 🔥

y4mp9BABZe7FfnzAuNad7yuAV5Or_ClviK3i88w7nKbnOUxkxxlRBb8K-WTNOknmRCicOBpI9s9t6sLbYLGlEv4gjcSNtEZ-JhqBwPGN-LCwnOrpvg580IWWrl1mUQClJ85kWc42YgC-mMp57w62GKVbsCSvcO18Ug0qB7ievJMeB7Fb_88BZTfmqA-v6Bx9Oom

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From everything I am reading, the BabyMax is on Constraint (not available) for the 2022 models. Chip shortage.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
5hUjGCT.gif

Reactions: BrianF

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From everything I am reading, the BabyMax is on Constraint (not available) for the 2022 models. Chip shortage.
Dammit! However, reading a couple of articles, they are calling it a temporary pause. Ford has however DISCONTINUED their 3.0 Powerstroke.

But then, I just saw a video of a guy explaining that as soon as the chip shortage is over, there will be a flood of new vehicles coming onto the market from the ones that were built without the missing chips being stockpiled. However, this is all speculation from a guy talking from the wing of his airplane!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Alright boys (and any possibly lurking girls :biggrin: ), it is DONE! I am the owner of the 2021 Sierra I originally posted. Will be taking delivery on Wed.

Got the call from the dealer yesterday that the truck had come in. Went today and we talked numbers although there was not much talking since it's pretty much at MSRP these days but at least they weren't adding no BS market adjustment increase like some dealers are doing. Odd thing though was that was that it was a different salesman as my original one was gone :confused:. So looking at the original offer I got, which I brought a printout, didn't match this one. What happened is that he hadn't broken down the freight and A/C tax from the MSRP in the original offer and they had re-added it to this new one. Good thing we spotted that so they corrected it. Then I played on the switcheroo of the salesmen and told them I wanted that security etch taken off, saving $400 even though the previous guy had already knocked off $500 for it but was left in, so I saved a total of $900. Also had the tonneau cover and running boards taken off that the previous was supposed to do. I'll add these myself as I explained earlier in this thread.

Then on to the F&I office for the torture. The guy was nice but I was armed with the info I needed to thwart him. Now came the pitch for the extended warranty. For just $35 month, everything is covered for 5 years/160k km. But the base warranty is 3 years/60k. I then told him I wanted the total for the life of the warranty and it came to $4700! WTF? When he saw my reaction, he said "oh, but you're on the heroes program" but that was just a way of saying "I'll cut you a deal" and knocked $1000. I still said no thanks. I can get an aftermarket warranty for probably half that. Then he came up with some BS saying that oil spray rustproofing damages rubber seals. Uh, what do these seals seal in? Oil and grease! So he starts talking about the electronic rust preventer. I cut him short and called him out on this bullshit tech. Then talked about a set of winter wheels and tires. Told him I'd be buying a set of Cooper AT3s for a lot cheaper and selling the all-seasons it came with. Since he was going nowhere with me, he just handed over the contract and we signed it.

So basically, out the door, it came to $73,163.17 CAD all in and at 0,99% financing.

And one surprise I didn't realize it had was that it came with the LONG BOX! Not a usual configuration but it was special ordered by the original buyer before he cancelled. One oddball option was the center console vault. I might rip that thing out. Like I don't have a gun or drugs to stash in there :laugh:

Oh yeah, we had also talked about the 2022's being able to order the Max tow package. He went on the ordering system, which already has the 2022's available, and he couldn't add the Max tow package. It forced him to switch the engine to either the 5.3 or 6.2. So the reasoning for waiting for a 2022 was out the window. Strange that the GM Authority story said otherwise or it could be a US only option?

Hope I can go to sleep now :sleeping:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Alright boys (and any possibly lurking girls :biggrin: ), it is DONE! I am the owner of the 2021 Sierra I originally posted. Will be taking delivery on Wed.
After a quick calendar check to make sure that I hadn't time travelled to April 1st 2022....congratulations :2thumbsup: but, we still will require pics to confirm.....not that we don't trust you but........

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Nice and congratulations. The price however does make the 2500 seem like more of a bargain however....

I will say... don't touch the frame. Don't even look at it. That wax is like glitter. It'll be all over you and you just won't even know how or why lol.

Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Long bed means a couple things to me..

Might have a slightly larger fuel tank (But I dont think so)
More wheel base will equal a better ride
More wheel base will tend to tow better
More wheel base means it doesnt turn as sharp

Those dealers kill me, with all those "add-ons" that cost you a mint, but cost the dealer 4% of what they charge you! Its a freaking scam!

Thats actually not a long bed. Thats the Standard bed. They only got shorter from there, unless a single cab is ordered (at least for the 1500).

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, should have stated standard bed or not the short bed. It'll still be nice with the extra cargo space. I know I'll love the MultiPro tailgate. One minor disappointment is that the rear seat storage was not the underseat one but the small ones in the seat backs. They're kinda lame except maybe for kids. Already shopping for accessories including that underseat storage, running boards (Mrs Moose had a hard time getting in and is demanding them!) and a hard tonneau cover, probably the backflip type, which is similar to what's on the Avalanche that I like.

Speaking if which, I'll be prepping it to sell. I'll probably take a hit on that sale as I paid too much for it last Oct from that sleazy used car lot. I'll get it detailed and I also have to get the windshield replaced as it has a bad chip in it. Other than that, it needs nothing after fixing everything :frown:

Reactions: Eric04 and Matt

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice and congratulations. The price however does make the 2500 seem like more of a bargain however....
It would look like that however you add the options and such, not so much. My nephew just bought a 2500 and it came close to $100k CAD. And remember, this is in Canadian pesos with taxes. Before taxes, It's $64,564 CAD, which is almost $51,000 USD.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well that kicks ass!! Glad you got her!

Also glad you got the 6.5 bed. Anything smaller is just a complete waste. I also agree that the extra wheelbase helps towing stability.

Whats your engine, trans and emissions warranty? If i recall I had 100k drive train, 60k body, 80k emissions, 160 for the engine and trans. The dealer wanted over 4 grand for the extended, just to bring the others up to 160k. I'm timing out long before I'm miling out.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The warranties are 60k/3 years base, 100k/5 years for powertrain/roadside and 6 years/160k for rust through. Also get 2 free oil changes. Only thing that's gonna be a PITA is that I have to use Dexos-D oil and so far, there's only ACDelco and Am$oil. Just hope it's a long interval.

Another thing I really like is the brake wear indicator in the dash. Don't have to wait for those damned squealers to start squawking.

Already planning on taking it with the RV for a trip to North Bay next weekend. Haven't told our son up there nor the one living here. Now there's a way to break it in.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Already shopping for accessories including that underseat storage, running boards (Mrs Moose had a hard time getting in and is demanding them!) and a hard tonneau cover, probably the backflip type, which is similar to what's on the Avalanche that I like.
First... congrats on the truck! We'll have to have a 'tow-off' one of these days! LOL

I have a 'soft' folding type on my Sierra. Made by Tonneau Pro; got it from Auto Anything on a Black Friday deal a couple of years ago. < $200, then (I think they run about $225, now).

Yeah, you can slice it open with a knife, since it's a soft cover, but I don't worry too much about that. I put a lock on my tailgate latch, and this former city boy sleeps OK at night. :laugh: But the utility of the thing is great; I can put some 'above the bed' cargo in it and get it home w/o having to remove the entire cover. Stupid simple to install, too (no rail system).

Reactions: Redbeard

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
So for the oil, I was following a thread on another site, specifically for oil choices on the same engine. From what I gather, a low SAPS euro oil rated for diesel will meet the specs but the main thing for the Dexos D is their oil weight.

0w20 should be 100% or have a healthy dose of group 4, which means that while its thin, its robust and should be shear resistant.

Looks like Mobil ESP 5w30 can work. Really the big argument with any of these small diesels is the SAPS level. Euro emissions need like .8% while CK4 and mid SAPS is around 1%. Thats not much in the grand scheme. The real issue I see is oil consumption. If you burn little to no oil, then SAPS does not mean a thing. If you have an oil burner than sure SAPS will matter because the ash plugs the DPF.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, you can slice it open with a knife, since it's a soft cover, but I don't worry too much about that.
I'm not so much worried about that, it's more damage from snow. One good storm can put enough weight to tear them.

Looks like Mobil ESP 5w30 can work.
My problem is that if I do my own oil changes, I have to have proof that it was an actual Dexos-D oil with an oil filter that I used to keep the warranty valid. Just me writing in a maintenance log isn't enough. I'm terrible at keeping records so that will be a challenge. Heck, even if I don't drive it enough for the KM, I still have to change it after a year. And since the driving duties are shared amongst 3 vehicles, keeping the miles up may be a challenge except when we take long trips.

Reactions: Matt

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just food for thought, have a chat with the dealer you would be doing any work with. They may have issues or perhaps they are more realistic. My experience was pretty decent. Never a concern on my maintenance logs when it was in for the front main seal and the injectors. When they did the injectors it was funny, no questions on the filters and fuel other than did you change them recently. Hell they also quoted me on a delete.

Have fun towing though, run the piss out of her!!!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm not so much worried about that, it's more damage from snow. One good storm can put enough weight to tear them.
Kinda like snow on a roof, eh?
I don't drive the truck in winter, but it is generally stored outside if I'm not actively working on it. So when it snows, I'm generally not rushing outside to sweep the snow off the cover. It sits until I need to move the truck. The panel braces do help it in that regard, I'm sure. I've probably had a foot of snow on the thing and no problems with it tearing. I'll also say I'm not one to be putting armor-all or anything else on the thing to condition it.

That said... you've got a brand-spankin' new truck, so you run what you want! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the first tow comparo between old gasser / new diesel. :coffee:

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found a guy who's selling his Extang hard tri-fold cover from his 2020 for half the price ($600) and looking at these steps. They're a bit lower than the flat type so that's good for the Mrs and they look cool. Off-Road clearance is not a concern for me.

Already have a long list of other accessories I wanna get but these two were the priority, especially the steps.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I got a trifold, thinking its extang. Got it in 2011. Moose, you are correct that it can can take a snow load, or errant children or my fat ass. They are tough.

Mine had shitty seals, well those foam type ones and they would rip off as the thing froze down often. A friend had the same cover but newer with rubber seals and they faired out much better.

I had the plastic buckles break once and I forgot to buckle it open once and she did a wicked slam closed at highway speed. Wrecked one of the panels but it still works good enough. They are tough!

Use some silicone spray on the seals to keep them from freezing shut , is my only recommendation.

Reactions: Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It would look like that however you add the options and such, not so much. My nephew just bought a 2500 and it came close to $100k CAD. And remember, this is in Canadian pesos with taxes. Before taxes, It's $64,564 CAD, which is almost $51,000 USD.
This is true. The work truck being gas starts less to begin with as well. It's optioned to where I'd be happy with what it has however. It's an LT and it was like 43 or something.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

My problem is that if I do my own oil changes, I have to have proof that it was an actual Dexos-D oil with an oil filter that I used to keep the warranty valid. Just me writing in a maintenance log isn't enough. I'm terrible at keeping records so that will be a challenge. Heck, even if I don't drive it enough for the KM, I still have to change it after a year. And since the driving duties are shared amongst 3 vehicles, keeping the miles up may be a challenge except when we take long trips.
Just be sure to buy it thru Amazon, the receipts/invoices stay in their system forever If I remember correctly, and then you would also have the emailed receipt.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good idea except that nobody has the Dexos-D spec, just the regular Dexos. I've got a local parts house that can get the ACDelco stuff at a reasonable price.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
There are exactly two licenses for DexosD right now. GM has one. The other is issued to ExxonMobil (who probably makes it for GM)

Here's a pic of a quart bottle. It's apparently made in... South Korea (?!)
I don't know who carries it in CA, or what it costs. According to someone on BITOG, it would be available in N. America only in bulk. So it looks like it's GM or nothing, unless someone wants to buy it by the barrel.

Mobil Super 3000 XE2 0W-20

190731-ms3000-xe2-0w-20-1l-packshot.jpg

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, RA has it if it comes to that. $7/qt + $20 shipping for 6 if it comes to this option. I'm pretty sure my place can get it or the stealer.

Oil filter choices are ACDelco or ACDelco Gold. There is a Champ/Luber Finer but I ain't touching that.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, O'Reilly don't have stores in Canada :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianF

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Look what followed me home!

PXL_20210929_211727812_resized2474114563391909338 - Copy.jpgPXL_20210929_211743185_resized1860860196028942151 - Copy.jpgPXL_20210929_211756095_resized273106157325143746 - Copy.jpgPXL_20210929_211826126_resized1379858079107550434 - Copy.jpgPXL_20210929_211841658_resized1587041030078256872 - Copy.jpg

Man what a nice ride! So much tech and it's not even a Denali or have all the bells and whistles. This truck is exactly what I needed. Now I have to read the manual to know how to do most of the stuff this truck can do.

My only complaint is the interior lights are pathetic. Basically just the LED map readers light up and they're not bright to begin with. I see the mod bug wanting to manifest itself :biggrin: . I already installed the hard tonneau cover I bought Monday and have the running boards on order.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So you were worried about the color.. Do you like it?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually yes. It's not silver but kinda like a metallic pewter. The TB is carbon metallic and is darker than the Sierra. So apart from the Caprice, all are a shade of metallic, including our son's Passat, which is about the same colour.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I called it silver and my friend was insulted lol. It isn't a bad color but it shows scratches surprisingly easy. Or at least I seem to notice them a lot more than most do... then again people aren't as anal about vehicles paint as I am. :redface:

That being said the newer GM paint is very easy and forgiving to work. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online