Support Group/Thread For Mod Addiction or MA

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've decided on an upgrade route to the Camaro whenever I eventually do engine work (long ways down the road). Likely grab an LQ4 or LQ9 from a junkyard chevy work van as they're cheap power (6.0L iron block that all LS family parts will fit and have a bulletproof bottom end), then refresh the engine and throw a moderate cam in it, get fbody accessories/pan/etc, and get some Speed Engineering stainless longtube headers for it from ebay (under $250) to true dual it through some Hooker Aerochamber mufflers (love the sound from those). Would be relatively inexpensive and fun. A sort-of "sloppy mechanic" style build.

Of course, this would all happen after I have a house again, with a shop area, and actually have money and time to learn/do all this :laugh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My name is Paul and I'm an addict. I have been clean for 4 months but today I am breaking that... Sorry everyone. I tried.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Of course, this would all happen after I have a house again, with a shop area, and actually have money and time to learn/do all this :laugh:

And who knows, maybe a smaller pair of hands may be interested in helping out too when that time comes. :undecided: Always helps to have people hand you tools as you need em.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oh I think that could be fun. Part of the plan to do it together.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had a relapse.... picked up these wheels this weekend. Found a ad on ebay with a best offer and saw they were local so lowballed and negotiated with me doing pickup so he could avoid shipping. 18x8.5 and 19x10. The new rubber for them was then sourced with 8% ebay bucks back and it shows them as out for delivery.

1521566788328.png

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
So I've been doing some designing over my lunches over the last week or so, and today I got to play with the laser at work and scrap material (read: free). Not 100% sure if it will all fit yet, but there's lots of scrap if I need to recut. Also I'm not sure how I'll attach stuff yet either. One step at a time, while skipping ahead a bit to satisfy some impatience. It didn't laser out the second one's grid piece fully so I need to clean it up a bit more.

Any guesses what they're for? They are for my Silverado.

Action shot
20180425_135940.jpg
20180425_140130.jpg
20180425_142226.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Very close. They are bezels for my fog lights. Since the originals took on water I decided to put in projector fog lights and also (hopefully) bright white LED DRL in place of the low beam at 70% PWM duty cycle, in prep for the HID retrofit that is also back in process. I've already located and downloaded the wiring diagrams on how the DRL works, so I am pretty sure I can reroute it to operate the new LED DRL at full 12V power but have them operate just like factory.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not really a truck mod, indirect truck mod at best, but something I've been tinkering on for about a month now... Since most of the time when I go to the beach, I'm rolling solo, if I wanted to make a day of it and pack my cooler, I'd have to roll my canopy and cooler in each hand, plus whatever was going on my back. Resulting in me being drenched in so much sweat by the time I got to where I was setting up, it looked like I just walked out of the gulf :no:

So my solution was to build a custom cart out of PVC that could carry the cooler and canopy together for one, and eliminate the need for the canopy's roller bag for two. I swear most of my setup and tear down time was spent getting the canopy into and out of the stupid bag. :mad: Took some design changes here and there, but this is how it turned out loaded, empty, and collapsed so I can fit it in the truck as well as store it.

IMG_20180424_223807.jpgIMG_20180424_223841.jpgIMG_20180424_223954.jpg

Fits nicely in the back of the EXT. On it's side, one of the front wheels sits down in the 3rd row footwell, and leaves a couple inches of clearance to the lift gate. Without needing the roller bag, the canopy is less bulky and also fits in the back, without needing to put the 2nd row seat down anymore. Cooler fits fine, and there's plenty of room for chairs and bags. :thumbsup:

IMG_20180425_195245.jpg

On occasion I'll have someone riding shotgun, almost never have someone in the back seat, but with the current setup, there's no encroachment into the 2nd row anymore, just in case. :cool:

IMG_20180425_195322.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well back to the drawing board. They don't fit. Apparently, the front of the lens of the fog light (that I modeled them from) is different than the bumper cutout. Go figure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Different wheels on the DD again. I did put the extra 35s for the truck for sale so I can have some new mod money for it since it is begging for a summer refresh again.

IMG_7472.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The handyman's Oil Catch can lol, got this for a $14 steal. The 3/8 fittings and vacuum lines will be here shortly.
IMG_20180519_033032.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Anybody have any idea what mod withdrawal looks like? Asking for a friend... :tongue: I have this strange dull itch to do mods, but I think it's been severely toned down due to not having any money to spend, and financially supporting my sister for the next couple of months.

I've been planning on an LED tail light retrofit build ever since I wrecked my Depo set last year. Looking at filament bulbs every time I hit my key fob is a constant reminder of how much I've been slacking on that. I've got all the components and modules priced out, but since it's not really a functional mod, it's gonna have to wait. Probably could have taken the money spent on the front lift and wheel spacers and put that towards this, but the bigger tires were rubbing and we can't have that :no:

Also having the recurring itch to build a new projector retrofit. Was going though some old boxes, moving stuff around the house, and came across my LS430s. For those I've pretty much settled on needing to bend some sheet aluminum to form a mounting plate to replace the stock reflector bowl. Have an old set of mini D2S projectors, I could remove the cutoff plate and solenoid, then install as high beams. Should/could probably stop there, but that's not how I roll. :biggrin: I've never been happy with the amber performance of the switchbacks I have now, during the day, you almost can't see them depending on where the sun is. So I'd want to remix what I did with the previous retrofit, but instead of using LED strips, get some PCB strips, solder some separate amber and white LEDs in a 2 to 1 ratio on the bottom and side areas. Replace the side marker lens, and cover the lower section with a thin frosted acrylic piece to diffuse the light, and hide the LEDs from direct view. The switchback modules I'm using for the 194 bulbs would be re-purposed inside the headlight, to control both groups of parking/turn signals.

While I love how the truck looks with the lift and spacers, and haven't noticed much difference in fuel economy (which wasn't expected since most of my driving is a surface street commute) driving through my neighborhood is a minor annoyance now. Speed limit is 25, and there are large speed bumps on the main roads. Previously, I would cruise at 20 mph all the way through. With that speed and wheel base length, the suspension would handle those speed bumps nicely with not as much vertical cabin movement or noise. After the lift, the struts top out with a nice clunking noise at that speed, before the front end comes down. So I have to slow down to 15 mph for some of them, which results in the truck getting lifted, and dropped, since the suspension recovers while it's on top. :thankyou: @HARDTRAILZ for posting about the Bilstein B8 5100 adjustable struts, if I woulda known about these before I got the lift, I would have ordered them as well. I'll continue to deal with the speed bumps for now, since a lot of the times I'm behind someone in something that rides low anyway. But they're on my wishlist, should I get some cash burning a hole in my bank account. :hahano:

This thread has been dead for months, so what is everybody NOT working on, that they want to?

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well, I stalled out on my retrofit on my Silverado again. Just have not had time, or I didn't have a place to adjust alignment in the dark, or both. And the fog/DRL retro I have would be easiest to do by taking off the bumper, but I don't have a good place to do this. Apartment living sucks! Plus new family with a little baby and all I just don't have free time to go out and tinker for an hour, and my lunch break isn't long enough to take a bumper off and back on to mess with the fog and DRL retro.

Eventually, maybe...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My '07 TB is bone stock, including the thrash can, except for the HU and turn signals in the mirrors. Been wanting to install the LED tails (from the '02), cut off the thrash can, add fogs and front tow hooks. Also wanting to put LEDs in the interior. With the current fleet of vehicles, just maintaining them is taking most of my time.

The Saab's mod days are basically over since it's just rusting away and relegated to winter beater duties.

Even the Caprice, which I have a set of headers and mufflers for it, is still stock except for the modded stock HU and added backup camera. I plan on doing the exhaust and swap the cam to possibly an LS9 or LS3. Also want to do something for a center console, probably one from a G8.

Although I'm retired now, time is still lacking and weather rarely cooperates, especially with winter coming :cry:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I've been planning on an LED tail light retrofit build ever since I wrecked my Depo set last year

What you got planned for the taillights. I can't stop thinking about them ever since I got my headlights done 😅😅😂😂. I was thinking of something like the new Escalade lights

Other mods I've been wishing for is chrome door handles. Was sooo close to getting them, but had other expenses to take care of.

Have a big one planed when I'm back home though 😏.

Also need to get the front bumper repainted as it has been faded and to plug in the the damn license plate holder holes.

Ahhh feels good to post on this thread again. Helps me when I actually get home and be like 'what was I going to do again!?!!?' 😂😂

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sell your lift and buy those adjustable...you did not have that option before.

I been working on getting the swings back on my rear bumper, but snapped a heim joint in storage/barn time or something, but I tried to easy out and its jacked. Got a buddy that ha s a guy he works with that says he will get it fixed up though.

Mods are kind of an old dream now. Its maintenance and helping the old man with his renewed infatuation of Triumph cars. He has bought 3 plus enough to build about 2 more and we keep loading and unloading and picking up stuff and yada yada, but it pays and he about has hi 36x54 shop done for me. Concrete went in on tuesday and in about 6 weeks the lift and doors will be in. I think he is actually just going traditional NG furnace for heat rather than woodstove or marginal electric heaters.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What you got planned for the taillights.

A spin off of the quad brake, dual turn mod. I already have a set of aftermarket tails that are all chrome with clear interior lenses. The lenses would get removed, and I'd scuff and paint the chrome black. The reverse section is round, and the same size as the other 2, so I'd put round PCBs that take 2 sets of LEDs. Outer ring for all 3 would be red, that function as parking and brake lights. Inner sections of the top 2 would be amber for turn signals, inner section of the bottom would be white for reverse. Switchback functionality on all 3, so turn signal overrides the park/brake LEDs of the top 2 sections, while it remains on the 3rd. Shifting into reverse overrides the park/brake LEDs on the bottom, but leaves the top 2. Only way there would be no red LEDs active when they should be, is if I was in reverse with the turn signal or hazard flashers on. Don't see that happening often...

Sell your lift and buy those adjustable...you did not have that option before.

I wouldn't need the adjustable struts if I did that, I'd also bottom out and have tire rub on the top of the fender well again. Maybe if I went back down to 265/65 tires I'd consider it. But I also like not having the rake anymore. Probably end up looking at drop springs and shocks for the rear again :bonk:

Reactions: Mooseman

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm still doing some mods although a lot more has become maintenance.

The sound of the exhaust coming out of the engine bay has me sick and thats something that might have to be put off till next weekend.
Blend door actuator is still on hold aswell.

My brother is doing his thing getting my parts coated at least.IMG_2875.jpg
I wonder how spohn performance would feel about seeing there parts coated in pink. lol.

Biggest mod happening this weekend is painting and installing new fixtures in my mother-in-laws 3rd floor bathroom. yay me. lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just remembered my old school Caddy "train" horns I need to put in the truck also.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, one backwards mod I'll have to do is turn my AWD 9-7x into a 2WD as I think the front diff is borked. Out will come the axles and driveshaft. Never liked this system anyway, engaging the front wheels quite violently when there was rear wheel slip. Maybe I'll get better MPG without all that crap spinning.

Reactions: Redbeard
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
A spin off of the quad brake, dual turn mod. I already have a set of aftermarket tails that are all chrome with clear interior lenses. The lenses would get removed, and I'd scuff and paint the chrome black. The reverse section is round, and the same size as the other 2, so I'd put round PCBs that take 2 sets of LEDs. Outer ring for all 3 would be red, that function as parking and brake lights. Inner sections of the top 2 would be amber for turn signals, inner section of the bottom would be white for reverse. Switchback functionality on all 3, so turn signal overrides the park/brake LEDs of the top 2 sections, while it remains on the 3rd. Shifting into reverse overrides the park/brake LEDs on the bottom, but leaves the top 2. Only way there would be no red LEDs active when they should be, is if I was in reverse with the turn signal or hazard flashers on. Don't see that happening often...

I'll have to read that a few times to understand :coffee:.

Would it be possible to maybe get one of those taillights that are flat rather than those with the circles poking out. Remove all the bulbs stuff. Put in some Led strips for the brake lights, and maybe a shorter one for the turn signals and an even shorter one for the reverse lights

Screenshot_20181026-090450_Edge.jpg

Something of this sorts

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Would it be possible to maybe get one of those taillights that are flat rather than those with the circles poking out. Remove all the bulbs stuff. Put in some Led strips for the brake lights, and maybe a shorter one for the turn signals and an even shorter one for the reverse lights

View attachment 86357

Something of this sorts
IPCW LED tails is your best bet, if you want anything remotely close to that:1540548302018.png

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Anything is possible, given enough money, time and effort. :wink: For me personally, I'm at the point where I don't want to use pre-made LED strips, and would rather make custom setups that are exactly what I want. If you stick with LED mods long enough, you'll get there too.

The aftermarket tails I have now (bought off a former member here) are like these, except the red interior lenses are clear. Doesn't really matter though, since they'd be removed anyway. The set I have now may just be used for testing and mocking up, and I buy a brand new set that has the black interior housing instead of chrome. The good thing about these, is they don't have those bubbles in the exterior lens either.

61Mmcsow0rL.jpg

The openings are the right size for these round PCBs, along with some high powered LEDs. Red would go on the outside ring, amber or white would go on the inside, depending on which bulb opening and function. Here are some sample pics. In my application, I'd never have both rings lit at the same time...

1386223691.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I wouldn't need the adjustable struts if I did that, I'd also bottom out and have tire rub on the top of the fender well again. Maybe if I went back down to 265/65 tires I'd consider it. But I also like not having the rake anymore. Probably end up looking at drop springs and shocks for the rear again :bonk:

You dont need the lift with adjustable struts. They provide the lift in the front to level and you can keep your tires. You just sell the lift to get some money back not to lower the truck down.

IPCW LED tails is your best bet, if you want anything remotely close to that:View attachment 86358

Like these
1540562698088.png

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
IPCW LED tails is your best bet, if you want anything remotely close to that:View attachment 86358

Seen those a lot on TBs here. Want something different 😂😎

I'm at the point where I don't want to use pre-made LED strips, and would rather make custom setups that are exactly what I want. If you stick with LED mods long enough, you'll get there too.

How'd you go about making custom setups?!?!? I'm at that point. I swear 😂😂

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Dead thread revival!!! :wooot:

Since upgrading my phone, I've been without a convenient charging solution. I was using a Pro Clips dash mount, hard wired to one of the cigarette adapters. They haven't come up with a charging mount for my Note 9 that can work with a case, but I got an email today that they have a Scoshe mount that's wireless AND fast charging. Strongly considering this option, cuz then I could have my phone back where I'm used to having it, instead of on the passenger seat, or in my pocket like I have to do now. :undecided:

Figured I'd poke around the Scosche site and see what other goodies they had. Since I cracked and caved in my center console lid (again) I was thinking of cutting out a rectangular section in the lid, getting some kinda plastic tray, and epoxying a wireless fast charging adapter to the underside, wiring it to the rear cigarette lighter port. Then I came across this... Basically, exactly what I was looking at doing, except it uses magnets so doesn't need to be recessed. Slightly more pricey than the first charger though, since I already have the vehicle mount, and this one requires modding.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Damn mod bug has me, but its on the DD right now. Slight drop in ride height and thinking one more set of concave 18 inch wheels for the new tires I got in storage. Been 60K on the brakes so need to see if they need upgraded while tearing into it. Also have the electric exhaust cutout I would like installed. Basically its in need of spring refresh.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Didn't feel like waitinig to get my new phone charger installed, so I let the mod bug out to play. Due to the screen size on the radio, mounting it in the normal location wasn't gonna work. Luckily I had an extension piece from back in the day when I used it for my old Garmin. (basically a piece of pre-drilled ABS plastic) Wasn't going to need the full extension, guesstimated maybe half would be enough. So got a piece of duct tape, marked the top edge of the new mount, and then used a punch and a sharpie to mark the new hole locations.

Drilled some small pilot holes, then attached the new mount to the plate. Plugged in the USB and gave it a quick test for placement. The HU screen was far enough from the dash to let me pull the trim piece loose and stuff the cable behind it. This should be good enough for now.

Clearances are pretty good, maybe an inch or 2 between the phone and HU screen. The extension plate does flex a tiny bit when pulling the phone loose, don't think that will be an issue. Will just have to make sure I put the phone in the sweet spot each time, so it charges, instead of just sitting there out of the way.

My sister's dog was WAY too excited every time I went to the garage door, thinking I was gonna take him somewhere, so I let him hang out. You gotta have an assistant right?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So I have realized that having a new car doesn't save you money but rather shifts the costs from repairs to mods.... oops. :laugh: I'm checking back in.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So I noticed that TRS is having a sale... I'm talking myself out of doing a retrofit but... talk me into it. The stockers suck pretty bad so I'm looking at the 4Tl-R retroquick projector and the OEM bulbs and sealed denso slim ballasts. I like the morimoto stuff but would rather have the OEM because of the RFI I used to get on the TB with the mori ballasts... total cost would be 430 (140 off) and they literally bolt in... I'm not going to do it but be a bad influence to me. :rotfl:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Considering you already know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how much it's gonna cost, you shouldn't need too much arm twisting. But if you insist.... :biggrin:

Finding something that checks all your boxes AND bolts right in, you gotta jump on that. Being on sale is just icing on the cake. I got pretty lucky with the first couple sets of Morimoto ballasts I had. No RFI issues even when running the quad setup. I just switched to a Denso/Koito pair of ballasts and like them. Don't have that whine on startup that the Mori's did.

But back to you, since these are your headlights, having proper lighting at night is a safety issue. Yeah, let's go with that. Depending on how much night driving you do, especially in the winter with shorter days, this is really a mod that you shouldn't waste too much more time on before you get it done. Especially if you take forever doing retrofits like someone we know around here. :rolleyes:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well luckily the hardest part would be getting the housings off the truck. The projectors come out the opening in the back... it literally would only take 3 hours... Safety you say... :undecided:

The whole front clip supposedly has to come off.

Edit: funny enough, my moris were dead quiet int the TB. But they are the newer xb series. Perhaps yours are older?

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah I had the older "SS" models from about 8 years ago, the XBs came out a couple years after I finished that one. From the sounds of it, the truck is asking for this mod to get done. There's that one saying "Happy wife, happy life..." Well let me give you a new one. "Happy truck, brings good luck!" :rotfl:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yeah I had the older "SS" models from about 8 years ago, the XBs came out a couple years after I finished that one. From the sounds of it, the truck is asking for this mod to get done. There's that one saying "Happy wife, happy life..." Well let me give you a new one. "Happy truck, brings good luck!" :rotfl:
You have D2s or h1s?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Before our 500 mile trip to Williamsburg this past week for vacation I had a headlight bulb blow and remind me yet again how much I'm missing with my retro not done. Apartment life is not conducive to finishing it though. If I could retro in 3 hrs bolt out and in I'd do it in a heartbeat.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Before our 500 mile trip to Williamsburg this past week for vacation I had a headlight bulb blow and remind me yet again how much I'm missing with my retro not done. Apartment life is not conducive to finishing it though. If I could retro in 3 hrs bolt out and in I'd do it in a heartbeat.
That's why I ordered them. I also grabbed a set of night breakers to go with it. I picked up the mori ballasts. Ended up being 330.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online