Struts

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
What is the arm on the bottom of the strut called? Also what size of wrench is needed to tighten the lower bolt, I believe mine are loose. Also what's the wrench size needed for the upper control arms? I noticed the bolts have backed out a bit.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sure they have backed out? Or have the bushings simply shrunk? Mine did that as the rubber deteriorated. I think upper are 18mm.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
This is the bottom bolt I'm talking about. The bottom of the strut inserts into this arm.

Here 3 of the 4 uca bolts, other one sits tight

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It looks like you need all new upper control arm bushings my friend.

And yes that was the post I was referring too, lower strut mount or perch. It can be quite difficult to get it off of the stud mostly because the stud is mounted with a rubber bushing.

Last edited:

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Don't want to take it off, just want to tighten it. It looks like it might be loose.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine looked like that. Bolts were tight, just the bushing were worn. All was good after I replaced the bushings.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah mine looke the same but it wasn't loose. You're likely seeing the sleeve the bolt slides through. You can try tightening but I doubt that's the case.

I opted for new upper arms with the bushings already installed. Was easier than pressing a new set in to the old arms and wasn't that much more expensive.

Reactions: Tiggerr

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
What is the arm on the bottom of the strut called? Also what size of wrench is needed to tighten the lower bolt, I believe mine are loose. Also what's the wrench size needed for the upper control arms? I noticed the bolts have backed out a bit.

I think the bottom arm you're referring to are the Yokes. I posted a WTB Ad looking for a set of them:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/2-strut-yokes.14377/

And yes, the bottom yoke bolt is 18mm.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bushings definitely look to be toast. Luckily the upper arms and really overall. the lowers as well, are cheap to buy full replacements and save a bunch of time and headaches swapping bushings.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I don't think those lower mounts themselves actually go bad. Unless you break/bend one. Aren't they just a solid piece of steel/iron? The bushings are part of the stud aren't they?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I could see one getting broken if you try to spread the ears where the pinch bolt goes.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I did have to replace both upper control arms. Now hopefully i can get the alignment tomorrow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online