speaker box build lots of pics

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
im assuming this is the right place to post this....
anyway im in the process of building a speaker box for my 06 envoy. the box will be fiberglassed and ported to house a 10" ssa gcon sub powered by a PPI Black Ice 1300.1D. the box will roughly be around 1.20-1.25 cubes after displacement and tuned at 34hz with a 3" port anyways enought talking and on to the pics

getting the wood into the voy

let the building begin

the deadner i will be using

progress from today... trimmed the rings up and added the 3 layer of glass to the outside

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
subscribed for the finished product...

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
thanks everyone..... this is about my 3 or 4th fiberglass box i have built, but will say the most challenging since all the other ones have had mdf bases and walls and then a glass face or what not. this one i was going to try and do some more wood but decided it was better and "easier" to just go full glass and give a sturdy base.

i have about 1-2 more layers on the outside to do and then im going to move into the inside and hit the corners the best i can where the material met with the back wall mold that was made. once thats done its onto sanding and body work the face.... test fit.....then paint.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
06_GATOR_VOY said:
thanks everyone..... this is about my 3 or 4th fiberglass box i have built, but will say the most challenging since all the other ones have had mdf bases and walls and then a glass face or what not. this one i was going to try and do some more wood but decided it was better and "easier" to just go full glass and give a sturdy base.

i have about 1-2 more layers on the outside to do and then im going to move into the inside and hit the corners the best i can where the material met with the back wall mold that was made. once thats done its onto sanding and body work the face.... test fit.....then paint.

Ok, so big hole is sub, little hole is... port or smaller speaker?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
is the port going inside the box? if i had to venture to guess I'd say you are on the south side of 1cube, port volume is going to take a big bite out of that.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Grimor said:
Ok, so big hole is sub, little hole is... port or smaller speaker?

correct on the big circle and the smaller one is for the port.

jimmyjam said:
is the port going inside the box? if i had to venture to guess I'd say you are on the south side of 1cube, port volume is going to take a big bite out of that.

i was aiming for 1.0-1.25 cubes

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looking good

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
06_GATOR_VOY said:
i was aiming for 1.0-1.25 cubes
if i were you, i'd measure that. get a 55gal trash bag, put it in there and measure how much water it takes to fill it. 1 gal = 0.133681 ft^3. 1ft^3 ~= 7.5 gal
if you're putting the port inside, i can guaranty it'll be too small.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
jimmyjam said:
if i were you, i'd measure that. get a 55gal trash bag, put it in there and measure how much water it takes to fill it. 1 gal = 0.133681 ft^3. 1ft^3 ~= 7.5 gal
if you're putting the port inside, i can guaranty it'll be too small.

curious on what measurements you are going by for cubic feet of my box on your guesstimate? thanks.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
no real update but have a set of skar audio comps on their way....
if only I could sell these kicker subs n kenwood amp I would be all set lol

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Just to put things in perspective, each half of my box is 1.5 cubic feet. (no port)

2012-09-08_18-20-40_415.jpg

2012-10-16_12-54-27_769.jpg

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
jimmyjam said:
12" Stealthbox ...again... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

this is my box, it is very similar however since it is angular it was possible to calculate the volume and it was around .92 cubes.

if you put a port inside that thing... :confused:

what were your dimensions on that box? thats a big ass sub too lol. nice build btw.

TexazReece said:
Can't wait to see the finished product. Looking good so far :thumbsup:

thanks!

btw like your sig! hopefully the jags can do something this year.....if anything our D should keep us in the game.

May 5, 2013
looks very good bro, can't wait to see the end result.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
anyone ever measure the cubby hole to get the volume? just wanted to compare with others.....

i was getting around .15 cubes and if i figured out the portion of the wheelwell and seat belt area they about cancel each other out and with the speaker displacement and post im coming up with roughly 1.1 cubes after reworking my numbers.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
ok so i started to sand this bad boy and did a test fit as well.... my only issue with the test fit was port issue. the big ass elbow i have doesnt go in place now. it did before i wrapped it so im thinking it might have shifted alittle during wrapping but not by much. so now i gotta see if i cant find a different less bulky elbow or i may have to step down to a 2" port :sadcry: other than that everything is going good with fitment.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
so i think im going to scrap this box and just go full on mdf and build an amp rack for the amp on the box.... i just have a feeling this box isnt going to sound good.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
06_GATOR_VOY said:
so i think im going to scrap this box and just go full on mdf and build an amp rack for the amp on the box.... i just have a feeling this box isnt going to sound good.

you wont know until you test it :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Send it to me for testing...please...

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
06_GATOR_VOY said:

Thats alot of material and time to just scrap it. There are many members who would take care of the testing for you! :thumbsup:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
i kidd i kidd lol.

still working on the body work. have one layer down of filler and saning it down. going to do probably one more pass with the filler and then lay down a pass of kitty hair sand it real good and start laying down a coat of primer to see where i stand with areas to address.

:raspberry:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
haven't done much lately but to really update but will just say its smoothing out nicely.....

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
HELPPPP lol

im looking to take the panel off where the box is going to put the sound deadner behind it and was wondering how the hell do I get the panel off? this is all new to me so I figured I ask before I tore shit up lol. thanks for the help.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
06_GATOR_VOY said:
HELPPPP lol

im looking to take the panel off where the box is going to put the sound deadner behind it and was wondering how the hell do I get the panel off? this is all new to me so I figured I ask before I tore shit up lol. thanks for the help.

anyone? need to figure out how to get the panels off.... anyhelp would be appreciated.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
you have to take the top panel off first, once you do that i believe there is a couple screws the rest should just pop off

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
seat belt have to come off? if so anyone know the size of the bolt is?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHEVYN8R

Members Online

No members online now.