speaker box build lots of pics

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
jimmyjam said:
I think torx 50
thanks.... will have to go pick up one that size and try it out.
hoping to tear into it tomorrow or so.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
When's your eta on finishing this thing? Lol I can't wait to see the finished product!
cant rush perfection lol. jk i hope to have it done and installed in no more than 2 weeks. been crazy busy with work and my weekends have been filled up so havent had much time to work on it like i would like.... this weekend im hoping to have my makeshift booth setup so i can start painting at least lay down the primer. shall see.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I heard that...no rush, just asking bc I started my box build yesterday~
Don't want to hijack this thread with it, or have another going on at the same time. 1 at a time is plenty...lol especially as labor intensive as these things are :duh:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
I heard that...no rush, just asking bc I started my box build yesterday~
Don't want to hijack this thread with it, or have another going on at the same time. 1 at a time is plenty...lol especially as labor intensive as these things are :duh:

oh man don't let me hold u back from posting....post away. I like seeing new builds. plus new threads means I can post up n not be bored at work lol.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
I just did a little searching for you and it is a Torx 50
And guess who posted it.... jimmyjam in 2007!! :rotfl:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Ryda55555 said:
I just did a little searching for you and it is a Torx 50
And guess who posted it.... jimmyjam in 2007!! :rotfl:

go figure lol.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Well...I guess I'll toss a few pics in then lol
first off, all suited up :raspberry:

2013-06-10171811.jpg

3 rolls of tape down, ALMOST enough :sadcry:
2013-06-10162305.jpg

done taping off, ready to get messy
2013-06-10170936.jpg

I'll tell ya what...they back of our trucks..are NOT fun to make yourself into a pretzel in, and try to get this done!
It's too far away to comfortably reach standing outside the truck, and too small to be able to actually fit in :hissyfit: ((maybe if I was 5'6" and 130lbs lol)
2013-06-10202404.jpg

gotta wait for another day off to start strengthening it up, and start the face of it!
was a helluva learning experience, I'll tell ya that!
I will never try to do it again solo!

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
wow thats some work right there. i was thinking you were doing maybe one box on each side...... just dont finish your build before mine :raspberry:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ahahahahahahahaha...:nono: lol
It's gonna take me quite a while to get this box done. First time I've ever touched a fiberglass project before, and I choose to be difficult? Yea, that sounds about right.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Ahahahahahahahaha...:nono: lol
It's gonna take me quite a while to get this box done. First time I've ever touched a fiberglass project before, and I choose to be difficult? Yea, that sounds about right.

oh hell... never worked with glass before and you chose a big ass box like this....way to pop that cherry lol.
shoot my first glass project was just an amp rack for a box i built lol

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
06_GATOR_VOY said:
oh hell... never worked with glass before and you chose a big ass box like this....way to pop that cherry lol.
shoot my first glass project was just an amp rack for a box i built lol

yea, tell me about it...lol
I've never been one for going into the shallow end first :raspberry:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
yea, tell me about it...lol
I've never been one for going into the shallow end first :raspberry:

well i wish you luck on this and cant wait to see more progress..... will say dont go cheap on resin. the cheaper stuff tends to bubble more than more expensive stuff like from marinas or boat stores. i typically try and go to my local boat store for a gallon at a time. ive also used us composites before too.

btw whats the plan for this? ported? subs? amp rank?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
ummmm... :confused: how do you plan on taking that out of the truck? :undecided:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ported, was gonna go with 4 subs, but just gonna stick with 2 for my first build lol
The rest is hush hush for now :raspberry:

If comes out rather easily, actually. I was a bit worried when I finished taping it off...but I made sure not to leave any angles to catch on, and she pops up, twists a bit, and slides out. Funky angle, but it works :yes:

ddgm

May 7, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Ported, was gonna go with 4 subs, but just gonna stick with 2 for my first build lol
The rest is hush hush for now :raspberry:

If comes out rather easily, actually. I was a bit worried when I finished taping it off...but I made sure not to leave any angles to catch on, and she pops up, twists a bit, and slides out. Funky angle, but it works :yes:

Wow, talk about the deep end! Just remember when you get the front and top on, there won't be any twist.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
that what i was saying.. once those sides are supported and don't move, geometrically its impossible that it will fit.....

my general thoughts are that making the bottom and back out of fg is a waste of money, wood is easier and costs less :undecided:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
No, no, not twisting the mold itself...more like rotating it. At the worst, pinko have to flip it on the back, and take it out of the rear doors. Even if I have to take the friggin seats out lol...it's goin in!!!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
No, no, not twisting the mold itself...more like rotating it. At the worst, pinko have to flip it on the back, and take it out of the rear doors. Even if I have to take the friggin seats out lol...it's goin in!!!

Thats the spirit! :thumbsup:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
make that shit work lol

anyways here is work from last night. sanded down what was needing sanding and then trimmed the speaker ring(have a few spots to touch up) and then laid down some spot putty....once the spot putty is sanded thing is ready for primer.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ok, dumb question...lol
Since I've.never.done this before, I'm a bit unsure about how thick to make the back/sides? Heard a lot of good things abt laying rope/wooden dials along the flat sides, etc...
Anyone have experience with that?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
you're really not understanding the issue....

you can't take it out the doors because the of the hump where the seatbelt goes. you can't push it forward or flip it down. you can't pull it out the back. you can't rotate it when its built because of the pythagorean theorem. a^2 + b^2 = c^2 if a is your width and b is your depth then you need a minimum clearance of c to rotate it. however how you did it, your max clearance is a.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
jimmyjam said:
you're really not understanding the issue....

you can't take it out the doors because the of the hump where the seatbelt goes. you can't push it forward or flip it down. you can't pull it out the back. you can't rotate it when its built because of the pythagorean theorem. a^2 + b^2 = c^2 if a is your width and b is your depth then you need a minimum clearance of c to rotate it. however how you did it, your max clearance is a.

I get what you're saying, completely. But, seeing it in person, and the way I plan on building the rest of it...IT IS GOING IN! lol

::sidenote-sounds like a bet to me?::
At the FL meet, if I show up with the box in the back, first beer is on you? If I show up without it, it's on me? :raspberry:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Ok, dumb question...lol
Since I've.never.done this before, I'm a bit unsure about how thick to make the back/sides? Heard a lot of good things abt laying rope/wooden dials along the flat sides, etc...
Anyone have experience with that?

i did 3 layers on the back piece/mold of mine and then pulled it out and met the base and then once i had the base i added another 2-3 layers just to be safe. can never do to many layers. also with yours being so big you can your rope etc to add strength

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
06_GATOR_VOY said:
i did 3 layers on the back piece/mold of mine and then pulled it out and met the base and then once i had the base i added another 2-3 layers just to be safe. can never do to many layers. also with yours being so big you can your rope etc to add strength

Roger that!
also, meant to ask it earlier...I've watched a lot of vids about ripping the cloth into strips, and laying it in and "up, down, diagonal x2" method to make it stronger, but never read about that technique being applied to an eclosure...I think I'll stick with laying the cloth&mat down normally, adding the rope between layers, and call it a day lol
thanks for the heads up

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Roger that!
also, meant to ask it earlier...I've watched a lot of vids about ripping the cloth into strips, and laying it in and "up, down, diagonal x2" method to make it stronger, but never read about that technique being applied to an eclosure...I think I'll stick with laying the cloth&mat down normally, adding the rope between layers, and call it a day lol
thanks for the heads up

i would with the mat is to pull it apart into about 2-4" squares so there are no straight edges..... can overlap the mat etc but the edges shouldnt be straight so that the mat gets "woven" together etc..... im sure you catch the drift..... not sure what your normal is lol

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
06_GATOR_VOY said:
i would with the mat is to pull it apart into about 2-4" squares so there are no straight edges..... can overlap the mat etc but the edges shouldnt be straight so that the mat gets "woven" together etc..... im sure you catch the drift..... not sure what your normal is lol

I mean istead of laying down the mat in it's entirety, ripping it into smaller strips and then weaving them together to make it stronger? idk...we'll see
I think I'll just lay down the whole sheets, and weave it together at the joints~ :yes:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
well you can do the whole sheets I just find it easier to work with smaller pieces etc...also if you do the whole sheets tear the edge off all around to expose the threads(no straight edge) to help the next sheet interlock. the way I typically do it is I tear up all the mat to the size I like some small some large etc then I mix up my resin and once mixed I put a light coat across where I want to add(helps hold the mat in place) and then piece together my mat then go to town in covering the mat with resin. plus with the smaller pieces instead of the full sheet you can work out air bubbles easier.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
figured I post up some of my other work....

box I built for my s10.... housed 2 8s and had the "floating" amp rack

box I built for my brothers jeep liberty that I did in like a week on my 3rd floor apt balcony lol.... held two 10s

box I built for my wifes xterra..... houses 2 10s with an amp rack shelf....this box is no longer. once I finish up my build it is onto hers for a revamp *evil scientist grin*

my center console I built for my s10 to house my air gauges for the truck....

then my verrrrryyyyyyy first attempt at glass work......pretty much was a full mdf box that I built and amp rack on top. definitely learned from this build. it housed 2 12" kicker L5s

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
that's some good looking work! :yes:
hopefully I'll get there one day lol
and if I get this little civic I'm looking at to drive to/from work...etc, then I'll be doing A LOT of glass work in it :raspberry:

any updates on your build?

as far as my build, i have everything wating for me to get going on the paint work....just missing plastic to make my booth. going to pick that up friday and then saturday afternoon lay down down some primer. started another build as well so definitely need to finish this one up.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
ah, I haven't had a chance to even touch it :sadcry:
actually going out right now to get some work done on it hopefully. Had a couple setbacks with it, just out of frustrations and and learning on the fly. :hissyfit:

will get this done before I retire! lol

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
ah, I haven't had a chance to even touch it :sadcry:
actually going out right now to get some work done on it hopefully. Had a couple setbacks with it, just out of frustrations and and learning on the fly. :hissyfit:

will get this done before I retire! lol

what you havent touched it.... not cool. lol. jk there are days when i start a project that i dont feel like messing with it or i just go out there for like 30 mins and mess with it.....one reason it takes me some time to finish them not to mention the waiting period for glass to dry etc lol
what kinda setbacks did you have with it? are you kidding me, you had some frustrations too lol

im hoping to get this one out of the way so i can go full force on the next project i started....hoping to get it dont within the next month or so....the new project that is lol.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
06_GATOR_VOY said:
what you havent touched it.... not cool. lol. jk there are days when i start a project that i dont feel like messing with it or i just go out there for like 30 mins and mess with it.....one reason it takes me some time to finish them not to mention the waiting period for glass to dry etc lol
what kinda setbacks did you have with it? are you kidding me, you had some frustrations too lol

im hoping to get this one out of the way so i can go full force on the next project i started....hoping to get it dont within the next month or so....the new project that is lol.

well, getting the back/side framework in the truck was a struggle in itself. Trying to get it done by myself, when "yea, man...I'll help ya out! lemme know when!" ....yea, no one to be found lol

learning it all on the fly, since I've neer touched fiberglass before, makes it all that much more difficult.

I guess just figuring it all out as I go, and learning by making mistakes makes it more frustrating :mad:

I got around to grinding down all the lumps and edges, that came from me trying to hurry and get it done in the back of my truck. :redface:
Once I get it relatively smooth, then I can finish the framework :yes:

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
gotta take your time when laying it down man...... gotta have patience. also if the bubbles etc are on the inside, i wouldnt worry about making completely smooth...hit the trouble areas with the sander and move on. want it relatively smooth but no bubbles for sure. the part that needs to be smooth is the face fo the box if your painting it. sucks learning on the go but its part of the process...... in your case you took on a big ass glass project and will learn from it for the next project and it will get easier and easier as you deal with the glass work.

keep pushing man.

side note today is paint day woot woot. pics to come.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Yea I know, one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and dive in, was I was told I would be getting help...
Anyways, it's gonna get fi.ished at some point, I need to finish my retrofit first haha

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Yea I know, one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and dive in, was I was told I would be getting help...
Anyways, it's gonna get fi.ished at some point, I need to finish my retrofit first haha

shit if you were closer I say I help you out if you did some retrofits for my voy lol

service for a service lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online

No members online now.