Solved: suddenly barely runs

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
I hope you all had a good turkey day.. My 06 4.2 died Wed after work.
I pulled the codes and not sure where to start.
I got 0135 heater performance sensor 1
0030 HO2S heater control circuit sensor 1
0455 evap emission system large leak
0463 fuel level sensor high voltage My gauge quit a couple months ago
0496 evap emissions system flow during non-purge

I got the truck to an Auto Zone - barely I added a bottle of heet Bought a new gas cap , my gas cap light came on a couple times lately
I unhooked the battery and cleaned the maf and installed a new air filter. I use a K&N I have not or reoiled for a couple months.

It starts but starts missing right away. It won't even pull itself. I replaced the purge valve on the engine a few months ago when it started a hard start issue after fueling.

Not sure where to start. Purge valve/solenoid at the tank, O2 sensor? This came on so fast.. Any ideas?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Thanks for the reply mrrsm I am leaning towards the purge valve at the canister. I am leaving to work on it. I work about 30 mi away and the truck is about a mile from my work.

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Thanks for the reply mrrsm I am leaning towards the purge valve at the canister. I am leaving to work on it. I work about 30 mi away and the truck is about a mile from my work.
Also I think I cleaned the iat sensor not the maf. It is the closest one to the air filter. It just sticks into the airflow. Not a screen. Hope I did not screw it up.

Does my truck have MAF? getting confused

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The P0135 probably means your pre-cat O2 sensor is bad. But that shouldn't keep it from.running. The evap issues could be causing a vacuum.leak.

If you have one, use a Bluetooth OBD interface and Torque to check your fuel trims as well as misfire counts. I'm surprised you're not getting other codes for misfites if it's running that poorly.

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
The P0135 probably means your pre-cat O2 sensor is bad. But that shouldn't keep it from.running. The evap issues could be causing a vacuum.leak.

If you have one, use a Bluetooth OBD interface and Torque to check your fuel trims as well as misfire counts. I'm surprised you're not getting other codes for misfites if it's running that poorly.
Seems like fuel pump. It will start and idle at 1000 rpm smooth for a few seconds and then just gets worse. I pulled the purge valve/solenoid near the tank. It starts out open and closes when I apply 12v. I unhooked the O2 sensor in the manifold. It jumps to 20 ohms and drops slowly. Between d and e I unhooked the Maf. No change.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fuel pump does sound like a probable cause. You should check the fuel pressure.

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Fuel pump does sound like a probable cause. You should check the fuel pressure.
I need to do more reading haha You mentioned Bluetooth software.

Ok I got torque lite. Hopefully I can find the adapter locally. Will torque lite check fuel pressure? Right now it only has one screen showing accel. Looks like it wants the obd adapter.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For the information on where to hook up an Analog Fuel Pressure Gauge… Check out Post Message #44 here:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...le-sometimes-partial.16691/page-2#post-539663

...and to answer your question about the location of the MAF Sensor specific to your 2006 TB… This Youtube Video will do the trick ...and while the VOP (Video Original Poster) is speaking in his native tongue (Espanol)… our familiarity with these LL8 engines makes understanding him very easy… and at around 9:11 he shows WHERE the MAF is situated and HOW to get at it and clean it up with the Proper MAF Cleaning Solvent. The rest of his video is also very much worth watching as an exercise in diagnosing other problems prevalent on a very poorly maintained GM 4.2L Engines:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ok I got torque lite. Hopefully I can find the adapter locally. Will torque lite check fuel pressure? Right now it only has one screen showing accel. Looks like it wants the obd adapter.

No, it can't read fuel pressure. You need an actual gauge hooked up to the fuel system, however, the test port is located on the engine on later years where the fuel line goes into the fuel rail. You should be able to either buy an inexpensive gauge online or even rent one free from parts stores.

For the Bluetooth OBD, don't buy it locally as you will get gouged. Lots of inexpensive choices online, including Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bluetooth+obd

I've used the Veepeak and it works well. Not sure if Torque Lite will be able to show everything like misfires and fuel trims.

And while you're at it, might as well clean the throttle body (unfortunately, images are gone)
How to clean your throttle body

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Thanks for the help. I towed it to a shop I trust. I had surgery on my lung in Jan. Not up to pulling the tank. :smile:

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
It was full of water. Some sick person poured at least a gallon of water in my tank. They got both my vehicles 12 days apart. Sitting in front of the sign shop I work at. During the day the only people are out back building signs. They just lock the front door and customers have to walk in the lot and go to a building in back. It is a sketchy part of Wichita-think S.Broadway lots of homeless, methheads . They target all the copper they can get their hands on.
So new fuel pump-gauge works now. And a exhaust cam sensor-I had no codes for. Got me $1124.00 dollars and they drilled holes in my exhaust near the converter saying it is partially plugged. I got 18 mpg. the tank previously Hmmm?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hope they didn't rape you for that cam sensor because it's not expensive and a 5 minute job, literally. Totally unneeded. And a locking gas cap should keep asshats out of the tank.

Drilled holes in the exhaust? Idiots. All you need to do to check for a plugged cat is remove the O2 sensor. If you really want to check properly, do a backpressure check on the same port.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I just picked up a locking gas cap that I won't use (the fuel door won't close flush with it, and gas theft / tampering really isn't an issue for me anyway)

Anyway, I'm willing to send it for free (I only paid $5, and will cover mailing cost, since you just shelled out $1200 - ouch)

If you want it, just PM me with address. I live in IL, so that's how long it'll take to get to wherever I send it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Theft isn't too much of an issue on these since we have a rollover valve in the filler neck of the tank. It's basically a plastic ball in the way.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep - I saw another post here describing that in order to drain their tank, they disconnected the filler neck assy to get the siphon working - and if someone really wanted the gas itself, they'd drill the plastic tank and just let it drain out. Since I was thinking in terms of 'theft' more than 'tampering', the cap is better off in the hands of someone who can really use it (and our OP definitely sounds like a candidate).

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
What in the world with the water....people are jerks. Sorry you had to go through that.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In Ancient Greece... and while taking a bath, the famous scientist and Master of Leverage, Archimedes ...figured this one out in a moment of inspiration and was reported to have run down the streets of Athens ... Naked as a Jay-Bird yelling, "Eureka! I've finally figured the problem out... its BUOYANCY!'

The second reason (besides his apparent dire economic situation) for taking the Gasoline by using Water to steal Fuel is because the Specific Gravity of Gasoline is much less than that of Water... and as he draws out the Fuel... he replaces that with the Water...to float the rest of the Fuel higher enough to bypass any security devices inside of the gas Tank....and steal as much as he "CAN" :>)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That would be a pretty poor way of trying to steal gas.

1) It would take forever to even attempt
2) The check valve in the tank neck won't let fuel come back out of the tank up the neck
3) How's that supposed to work if you're pouring water down the neck anyway?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Why would anybody carry around a Heavy Container of Water that weighs around 65 Lbs per Cubic Foot?... unless he had figured out the means to snake a small hose (Tube Within A Tube) down inside and Hand Pump (not pour) the Water from the said Tank further down inside of the tank... Unless the suspect is carrying on a Vendetta against the OP, it is an extremely impractical caper to pull off... unless he has worked out a clever way to do both procedures and gain access to as much Fuel as possible.

And regardless of whether or not he chose to use this as his method of fuel displacement or not... the physics involved I described still remain correct. Just think about it for a minute... if someone was filling the Gas Tank With Water.... What happened to all of the "Displaced Gasoline"...? It had to go SOMEWHERE ...and the Thieves certainly didn't Drink it!

There is one more reason why the Bad Guy(s) might fill the tank with Water: If they imagine coming back and hitting the same parking lot more than once... having the targeted vehicle(s) Fuel Level(s) read as normal as possible ... as though nothing was stolen would prevent raising any immediate Alert Flags in that neighborhood ...and allow them more opportunities for night prowling to find more victim vehicles nearby.

This task can be easily be done using THIS device..."The GasTapper" ...so no matter WHAT kind of security device is dwelling inside of the tank... the Fuel can easily be stolen...and just as easily...The Water can also be pumped inside of the Tank.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Nah...they got the idea from Walter White, when his crew stole the methylamine from the tanker car and replaced it with just the right amount of water. :whistle:

Torker

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Thanks for the offer Reprise. I got 2 now. The snakes hit 2 of my cars. My wifes CTS also had water in it 2 weeks prior. The worst part is not knowing who. I don't know who would hate on me , or is somebody jealous cause I have decent cars. IDK

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online