How to clean your throttle body

Status
Not open for further replies.

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
If this looks like it was copied from the-site-that-should-not-be-named, you're right. I wrote it in the first place and saw little reason to reinvent the wheel.

Should be renamed "How to clean your 4.2L I6 Throttle Body". Maybe someone can fix this...

Difficulty:
Ages 8 and up (warning, small part choking hazard)
Time:
20-30 minutes
Stuff:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I used Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 0: Turn ignition off (duh)

Step 1: Disconnect battery or PCM fuses, your choice. (leave disconnected for 15 minutes to reset PCM)

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.
1.jpg

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.
2.jpg

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.
3.jpg

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.
4.jpg

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.
6.jpg

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).
7.jpg

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.
8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Part 2, now in technicolor!

Step 9: Unplug the two connectors from the throttle body.
10.jpg

Step 10: Remove the four bolts mounting the throttle body.
11.jpg

12.jpg
Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black gunk accumulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY.... Blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off (what environment?). If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

You're done!
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.J4lf1ahEI7.gif

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the gunk out of it in the parking lot. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an inch into the ASPHALT. The cleaner turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen (it removes porcelain finishes) or get it on anything valuable in general. It also took some tread off my shoes
lipsrsealed.gif.pagespeed.ce.13Yz64Geva.gif

14.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online