Stuck fuel sensor float?

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. So I got an interesting issue here but I don't think it rises to the level of a fuel pump/sensor replacement YET but soon (yes I am used to that from my S-10 series truck)... Long post because I did some thinking and troubleshooting so please bear with me.

So I drove the car until it had around 4-6 gallons left (around 16 used out of 22 and the tank was completely full when I reset the counters. I forced more gas into it after the auto-stop due to a long range trip). Yes, I know not good but not to the point of fuel starvation. When I went to pull out of my mother's driveway and ended up putting the car in a nose down attitude with a slight roll to the left (where the left front wheel was lower than the rear right by several inches), the fuel gauge did its normal behavior and lowered during a nose down attitude but this time it went all the way to zero and threw the "Low Fuel Level" light and message (I presume because most of the remaining gas moved to the opposite corner of the tank from the sensor). Up to this point the gauge has been fine with minimal erroneous readings. I leveled the car, drove off and it went back up to just under 1/4.

As I drove along for about 9 miles to a gas station, the gauge creeped lower to only the first notch but not into the low level warning. Thinking the car may have lower gas than I thought I stretched the range the best I can by going fast but keeping the RPMs low to keep the fuel flow down. As soon as the car stopped completely it zero'd out but no issues with fuel delivery. It kept running and the pump sounded fine when I cycled the key. I fill the tank (stopped at 16.5, I kept it going to 17) and no change in the gauge. Then when I went to start the engine (I normally push the key, let go and it starts right up), it aborted the start when I let go of the key. I had to hold the key to start. I moved into a space and tried again. Same result. A minute later I get a P0463 code and same result on a hard restart. I clear it and later it came back again. I actually listened to my mother (who knows little about cars but since her theory holds alot of water, pun intended, I decided to check it out) who said maybe the float is stuck from low gas. I tapped the bottom of the tank a bit, no change. I drive off without any problems, hitting some bumps and did some sudden speed changes, nothing. I get it back home and try a start again and it only will start if I hold the key (maybe because the computer thinks I am trying to start it with no gas?). I decide to hit the bottom of the tank with my hand just hard enough to flex it and send waves through the gas. After a few tries I get up and see the gauge went all the way to F and then started creeping down and then back up (averaging out from getting 0...0...0...0...0...90% readings???) to F to stay there (with 1.2 gallons used since fillup). I verify the code didn't set again and I was able to start the engine without issue again. I can no longer reproduce that issue with starting or the zero fuel level. Once again pump sounded the exact same quiet mid-high pitch hum and it was driving just fine as it was even with the code set or pending.

Now, I a fuel additive on the last tank (Royal Purple), maybe this is either a hard spot on the lowest part of the fuel sensor contacts since I rarely run it lower than a quarter, additive getting on the contacts or the float got stuck in an area and showed empty? I am simply not finding an issue now and I am really curious why it hard starts with a zero fuel indication and if it is safe to drive like that. The truck only has 58K on it, not sure the fuel pump needs replacing yet since it has been fine throughout the issue. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Almost sounds like the fuel level sensor is having issues other than getting stuck. If it was just stuck at the low fuel position, it shouldn't throw a P0453 code. It would just think it's low on gas. It could be shorting or maybe an issue with the wiring?

No idea on the starting issue and why it disables, what I call, flick key start. Could be, like you said, a failsafe for trying to start it on an empty tank.

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Update: Correction - P0463. Sorry.

Also not resolved... As soon as I started driving it, the gauge started moving slowly to E and stayed there a minute later. I got where I was going and cycled the key and it went to F again immediately. No hard start. Same deal on the way back but it started going up as I got to where I was going. Ok, so looks like more than that. Funny how I run it low on gas, fill it and this starts, right? What other possibilities might I want to try to exhaust before I have the tank pulled? Should I pull the ECU fuses to reset it?

Also the GM TSB for the 2007s where they pay half - Is that still valid and are they only replacing the sensor part of the fuel pump or the whole pump? Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually my typo on that code here only. You had it right. Same issue though.

I found the wording of the TSB # SB-10054, in all places, on a Denver Broncos site:
https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sh...h-2007-Chevy-Traiblazer&p=4836455#post4836455

"....This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new design fuel level sensor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer."

"***SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS***

Customers who paid a portion of the total cost for a GM dealer to replace the fuel level sensor on their vehicle under this Special Coverage Program are being advised to contact the servicing dealer for their refund. The repair order associated with this service event is sufficient documentation for the dealer to process the customer’s refund and issue a check. Customers who paid the total cost or, in the case of a service contract, paid a deductible, to have the fuel level sensor replaced on their vehicle and were subsequently reimbursed a portion of that cost or deductible, are being advised to contact the GM dealer who processed the reimbursement for their refund. The paper work associated with this previous reimbursement transaction is sufficient documentation for the dealer to process the customer’s refund and issue a check. If the previous reimbursement was processed by the GM Customer Assistance Center, customers are being advised to contact GM for their refund. Refund requests are to be submitted to the dealer or GM by July 31, 2014."

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Ok so ten years is gone on this truck... So I can basically discount that possibility. Plus if that tank is coming down I wouldn't just do it for a sensor, I would have them put a new pump assembly in so I don't have to do it again in a couple years. So new sensor is in order eventually but how serious is this in terms of other implications and as long as I keep track of the gas used it isn't urgent correct? No codes set now with the fuel gauge fluctuating also, so anything else I should look at before replacing this? Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No issues, just have to keep track of fuel use.

For actual pump brand, ACDelco, Delphi or somebody said that Bosch makes ACDelco's pumps.
AC Delco fuel pump made by Bosch?

thebat

May 14, 2017
New England
I had the same issue last year on my '05 TB LT. It was driving me crazy for a while but I got used to it. My truck has a 'Fuel Used' function that can be reset every time I fill up so it was easy to keep track of how much gas I used and exactly what was in the tank. So I lived with the low fuel warning and the gas gauge bouncing around.
But, occasionally my wife or daughter would use the car and they couldn't deal with the uncertainty. Also, if they filled it (fat chance!) they would forget to reset 'Fuel Used.'
So I had to finally breakdown and replace the sending unit. Since they had to go into the gas tank I decided to replace the whole module. I'm glad I did, all those false low fuel warnings were getting tiresome.

Reactions: Mooseman

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I have had this issue for 3 years now. I have trained myself to keep track of the miles and when I get to 350 miles I refill regardless. I am looking forward to replacing the pump assembly next year after I install my body lift.

Is there any benefit to be gained by going to the dealer to register the issue with a 12 year old vehicle?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
OP… Even though you have only had the one P0463 Code addressing the Float Level Sender problem… the hard starting after filling the tank may be due to having a sketchy or Bad Evap Solenoid that is not pulling the extra Fuel Vapors back from the Engine and into the Charcoal Cannister during shutdown which might cause the Engine to stall on startup due to the presence of excess Fuel Vapors.

This post addresses both the Bad Gas Cap and Bad Evap Solenoid(s) issues if you want to look over those for any symptoms similar to your own as well. The possible parts involved in the topic are The Gas Cap, The Evap Purge Valve Control Solenoid located on the Engine and The Evap Vent Control Solenoid located at the back area of the Fuel Tank.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/bad-gas-cap-or-purge-solenoid.16944/#post-532675

...and as distasteful as the idea might be...if you finally decide to get rid of your need to constantly worry about “Gas Math” and replace the entire Fuel Pump and Fuel Sender once and for all… this particular video is the EXACT one covering your 2007 Trailblazer with a decent How-To R&R the Fuel Pump...and there is an excellent video on Youtube from @MAY03LT on the earlier model TBs as well.

Reactions: Mooseman

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
OP and others: If you order a AC Delco pump assembly note that "assembly" doesn't always mean it comes with the level sensor - you have to specify. Ask me how I found that out. :Banghead:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Bow_Tied

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online