Running TIS 2000 on Windows 7/8/8.1/10

Mramses

Jul 19, 2020
To Whom It May Concern:

The accompanying document took approximately three weeks to construct. It is a first draft and will probably need and receive some revisions...anywho, the attached PDF is intended to teach its' readers how to successfully install and run TIS 2000 on Windows 10...with a little ingenuity, of course. I'm open to constructive criticisms, suggestions and just plain bad mouthing, if you feel it necessary. If the need arises, ask. I'll try and answer to the best of my capability. I do hope this will become a community document that we can all share, reference and learn from. The PDF is restricted from editing and content theft so spammers and the like won't be able to take the crown jewels. I'm sure the HTML version will be ready soon. Thank you for your time. Best wishes in all of your General Motors adventures!

- southsidesmoka

Mod edit: 2018/09/29: Latest version linked below.
Mod edit: 2019/03/27: Latest version linked below.
Mod edit: 2019/05/29: Latest version 1.3 linked.

friend could help me with the installation process of tis2000 in Windows 7 please Thank you

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
good afternoon friends, greetings to all. Would you be so kind to help me regarding the installation of the tis2000 for Windows 7 please. Thank you:Banghead::Banghead:
Have you endeavored to indulge yourself in the "TIS 2000 on Windows 7 - 10" guide linked to at the top of this thread? Which part, exactly, are you having difficulty with? I'm sure we can figure this out, friend... :thumbsup:

- southsidesmoka

Mramses

Jul 19, 2020
good afternoon friend. I have 2 problems: When I enter virtual machine configuration in Virtualbox, in usb, I get invalid configuration detected for usb2.0 The other question is when I mount the windows xp it asks me for an activation serial, what is that serial please help, thanks

Mramses

Jul 19, 2020
Hi friends. I have written several serials located on the internet but none have worked for me. it tells me "the cd key you entered is not valid"

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
(1) What is the Type and Version of the Base Operating System do you have running your Computer? (Windows...?, Linux...?, Apple MAC...?)

(2) When installing Windows XP as a Virtual OS on VirtualBox... You WILL be required to enter the Correct,Valid COA (Certificate of Authenticity) Sticker ID# (this is the Unique 25 Digit Validation Code) from a VALID Windows Installation DVD COA Sticker. (See the Attached COA Sticker Example Image with the Number Location highlighted within a Red Box).

(3) If you have not completely Validated your Windows XP when creating a Virtual OS using a correct Product Validation Key COA Number, then the VirtualBox Installation will not run properly.

(4) If you are installing VirtualBox on a Linux OS like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, you must also Install the Secondary Support Package or the absence of the requisite Binaries that allow for the USB ports to function in Virtualization Mode will not work.

(5) If you have installed VirtualBox with an ACTIVE Firewall and/or had an Anti-Virus Program activated running... then VirtualBox may not function properly.

(6) Make certain that you have installed the latest version of VirtualBox only AFTER having completely uninstalled any/all Older Versions and start your New Oracle VirtualBox installation from scratch.

(7) Visit YouTube and search for Instructional Videos on "How to correct Invalid Virtual Machine Configuration Issues".

Attachments

• COASTICKERFORMAT.jpg
    COASTICKERFORMAT.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 14

Mramses

Jul 19, 2020
(1) What is the Type and Version of the Base Operating System do you have running your Computer? (Windows...?, Linux...?, Apple MAC...?)

respuesta: window 7

(2) When installing Windows XP as a Virtual OS on VirtualBox... You WILL be required to enter the Correct,Valid COA (Certificate of Authenticity) Sticker ID# (this is the Unique 25 Digit Validation Code) from a VALID Windows Installation DVD COA Sticker. (See the Attached COA Sticker Example Image with the Number Location highlighted within a Red Box).
Respuesta: el instalador de windows xp sp3 lo tome de la guía de instalación tis2000 para windows 10. pero no encuentro algun key de 25 dígitos. lo instale sin la key y me dió 30 dias de expiracion

(3) If you have not completely Validated your Windows XP when creating a Virtual OS using a correct Product Validation Key COA Number, then the VirtualBox Installation will not run properly.
respuesta: pude instalar el virtualbox e instalar el xp sp3 sin la key pero tengo 30 dias para la validacion. pude instalar el tis2000 pero tengo otra duda
(4) If you are installing VirtualBox on a Linux OS like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, you must also Install the Secondary Support Package or the absence of the requisite Binaries that allow for the USB ports to function in Virtualization Mode will not work.
reapuesta: estoy usando Windows 7 con virtualbox y xp sp3

(5) If you have installed VirtualBox with an ACTIVE Firewall and/or had an Anti-Virus Program activated running... then VirtualBox may not function properly.

(6) Make certain that you have installed the latest version of VirtualBox only AFTER having completely uninstalled any/all Older Versions and start your New Oracle VirtualBox installation from scratch.

(7) Visit YouTube and search for Instructional Videos on "How to correct Invalid Virtual Machine Configuration Issues".

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
To Whom It May Concern:

Windows XP seems to be a problem for us, now, as it is completely dead - Product Key or not, it can't be activated due to MS taking down the activation servers. :Banghead: I've managed to get TIS 2000 running natively on Windows 7 Ultimate (x86) under VirtualBox 6.1.x, which Oracle has re-engineered for greater compatibility. In short, there is a forthcoming update to our "Running TIS 2000 on Windows 7 - 10" document. :celebrate: I do hope this benefits the community as a whole... Thank you, kindly, for your time. See y'all on the other side of this document... :woohoo:

- southsidesmoka
A little something for the community...thank you for your time.

- southsidesmoka

Attachments

• Running TIS 2000 on Windows 10.pdf
    341.4 KB · Views: 527

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Talking about VXDIAG in THIS THREAD is off topic. I have moved VXDIAG talk to its own thread so any questions about that should be directed there:

Reactions: mrrsm

Alfa-Norway

Mar 4, 2019
Norway
Hi friends. I have written several serials located on the internet but none have worked for me. it tells me "the cd key you entered is not valid"
Windows XP Professional 32-bit Edition

SP3 VOLM6TF9-8XQ2M-YQK9F-7TBB2-XGG88
SP3 VOLMRX3F-47B9T-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
SP3 VOLQC986-27D34-6M3TY-JJXP9-TBGMD
SP3 VLKTQMCY-42MBK-3R4YG-478KD-7FY3M

Reactions: Mramses

hotrodjeb

Jan 2, 2022
Huntsville, AL
A little something for the community...thank you for your time.

- southsidesmoka
I wanted to provide feedback to this discussion.

My goal was to consolidate new and legacy applications on a single Win10 laptop. I used VirtualBox to accomplish this by separating the two.
The "Running TIS 2000 on Windows 10, v2.0" tutorial was well written and very informative.
I was having trouble with TIS 2000 SPS application. Sometimes it worked other times the SPS application would lock up.
I reinstalled the application using the links provided in the tutorial. It works correctly now.
Perhaps the original files I received from the seller were incomplete or corrupt.
The TIS application will now work on both VirtualBox Guests (Win 7, XP).

I have the following setup:
1. HP Elite x2 1012 Tuch screen Laptop, Amazon.
2. USB to DB9 Serial Adapter (with FTDI Chipset), Amazon.
3. Tech2, VXDAS.
4. VirtualBox v6.1,
5. Windows 10 (Host), Windows 7 Ultimate (Guest), Windows XP (Guest).
6. TIS 2000.

I am well aware there are other ways(software\hardware) to accomplish module programming. I primarily use a pass-through device when programming. My intention here was to reinforce the tutorial for those who would like to continue using TIS 2000 on a modern computer.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the additional info. What we like about using TIS 2000 is not having to get an SPS subscription to be able to program modules. However, this can only be done up to 2007 or 2008 model years when they stopped updating TIS 2000.

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
Man you guys are awesome. I followed your tutorial and was able to do something I was completely clueless on. I finished up step but I'm a little hung up on the dongle patch.. I have it installed on my VM windows 7 but I can't get it to interact with the TIS2000. I put it into my optical drive and it says I don't have disk burning capabilities... I'm sure this is user error but any help would be appreciated. TIS2000 launches and runs, but I don't have access to the SPS features.

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
Man you guys are awesome. I followed your tutorial and was able to do something I was completely clueless on. I finished up step but I'm a little hung up on the dongle patch.. I have it installed on my VM windows 7 but I can't get it to interact with the TIS2000. I put it into my optical drive and it says I don't have disk burning capabilities... I'm sure this is user error but any help would be appreciated. TIS2000 launches and runs, but I don't have access to the SPS features.
Howdy and hello, friend! Welcome to GMTNation.

To address your issue, can you clarify your situation for me, please. Did you copy the dongle patch inside the VM prior to launching TIS2000? Also, is your USB-to-DB9 cable of the recommended make? Once everything is properly setup and installed, you should no longer need to have the discs inserted. Thanks.

- southsidesmoka

Reactions: Mooseman

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
You know what, I may not have installed the dongle before launching.. I'm uninstalling/reinstalling TIS2000. I haven't plugged the usb-DB9 cable yet but I bought the recommended one. I haven't even plugged the tech 2 in yet either, I just wanted to make sure everything was smooth sailing first. After TIS2000 reinstalls, I'll install the USB-DB9 drivers and give her a whirl. Thank you so much!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
I have the dongle patch on my VM and it's located in my desktop during the TIS2000 install. I selected USB security, but after the second installation of TIS2000 I still don't have SPS access.

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
I'm a dummy. Just watched the walkthrough video and saw process of copying/pasting into the target folder, but when I did this it said that there was already a SuperPro. I kept both but it didn't help.

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
I'm a dummy. Just watched the walkthrough video and saw process of copying/pasting into the target folder, but when I did this it said that there was already a SuperPro. I kept both but it didn't help.
You want to replace the SuperPro driver that exists in the TIS2000 folder with the one from the patch folder.

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
You want to replace the SuperPro driver that exists in the TIS2000 folder with the one from the patch folder.
BINGO! That worked immediately. Thank you so much for helping me through this. One last question I think.. When I connected the Tech2 to my truck, while I was requesting info to update, it asked for my engine size. I have the L33 engine and that's not a listed engine. It has LM7 parallel hybrid listed, but not the standard LM7. Should I just click the "other" option if my specific engine isn't listed? The VIN is correct and that should specify my engine to TIS2000 as well as the Tech2, right?

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
BINGO! That worked immediately. Thank you so much for helping me through this. One last question I think.. When I connected the Tech2 to my truck, while I was requesting info to update, it asked for my engine size. I have the L33 engine and that's not a listed engine. It has LM7 parallel hybrid listed, but not the standard LM7. Should I just click the "other" option if my specific engine isn't listed? The VIN is correct and that should specify my engine to TIS2000 as well as the Tech2, right?
What version of the Tech 2 software are you using? The software on the PCMCIA card in the Tech II is what I'm referring to, specifically. Should be 33.004.

Montiehall

Aug 17, 2022
Illinois
What version of the Tech 2 software are you using? The software on the PCMCIA card in the Tech II is what I'm referring to, specifically. Should be 33.004.
Looks like my Tech2 is running 33.004 for it's software. This is the screen I see. I know I said L33 engine but it's (B) VIN. It's a 5.3, just aluminum block with a different cam and a few other slight differences.

Attachments

• 20220820_185031.jpg
    20220820_185031.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It should be OK. I've used mine many times with Tis2000 however I use an old laptop that runs XP natively and has an actual serial port. Others have been successful with using VMs and USB serial adapters as per instructions.

Cousin Itt

Sep 25, 2022
Bristol Wisconsin
If you're using W7Pro, or Ultimate the Microsoft W7 Virtual PC and WXP SP3 Mode files can both be found here.
https://archive.org/details/windows-xp-mode_20200907

Edit: Forgot to mention these are the files MS has listed as NLA if you try finding them there. As long as you are running a registered copy of W7 Pro, or Ultimate the WXP SP3 Mode software does not require an XP registration code. I've got it loaded on W7 Pro 64 bit and it works perfectly.

I haven't tried using either the W7 Virtual PC, or WXP SP3 Mode software on newer OS's or with other VM software, so I'm not sure if it will work or not.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online