LED Mod Thread

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
kardain said:
I'm guessing you already tried rotating them 180° and reinsert?

Unless you have ck bulbs and a standard socket (or vice versa) they should work.... Or a fuse went out....

Silly me. I didn't file the tab enough. With incondencent bulbs polarity isn't a issue. I just wasnt getting a connection. Ima order the 3157 switchbacks, ( all I gotta do is file the tabs and get the right polarity ?)

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ghost said:
oh i like the video!!! i want a pair!!!!!!! but as we are discussing my truck uses 3757A on the front signals.

Just for clarification, the switchbacks in that video (of my TB) are not the same as the ones you would be purchasing. The ones in the video are the 60-60 Ultimate Stealth switchbacks from Autolumination.com The primary difference with these is all 60 LEDs will light up white, or amber, depending on the requested function. Most other switchbacks will be half white, and half amber.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Just for clarification, the switchbacks in that video (of my TB) are not the same as the ones you would be purchasing. The ones in the video are the 60-60 Ultimate Stealth switchbacks from Autolumination.com The primary difference with these is all 60 LEDs will light up white, or amber, depending on the requested function. Most other switchbacks will be half white, and half amber.

...And, as I found out, there are 2 different type of modes for led switchback bulbs. Both have white running mode but one type blinks amber, white, amber, white (AW) when the turn signal is activated while another type that blinks Amber, off, amber, off (AO) when signaling.
I have the AO lights because it was very difficult for people to see me signaling with my clear corners and the AW led bulbs (mine looked more like strobe lights)

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
...And, as I found out, there are 2 different type of modes for led switchback bulbs. Both have white running mode but one type blinks amber, white, amber, white (AW) when the turn signal is activated while another type that blinks Amber, off, amber, off (AO) when signaling.
I have the AO lights because it was very difficult for people to see me signaling with my clear corners and the AW led bulbs (mine looked more like strobe lights)

I definitely like what you refer to as AO better, however it partially depends on if you plan to use the 194 switchbacks in the corner lights. The 194 switchbacks, as far as I know, are only available in AW right now, so if you want them to match...you get the picture. For those considering the 194 switchbacks, see Carlton first, they aren't plug and play.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I wanted to get the AO style too, but since a certain someone challenged me on the OS to figure out how to make the 194 switchbacks work, I had to go with the AW style to match. :tongue:

Now that I have a pair in my side mirrors, so I see them operating up close, they do seem more like they are flashing white when the parking lights are on, since the amber isn't as bright (without a reflector like the fronts). I guess a solution would be to find bulbs with twice as many amber LEDs as the white ones, but I don't think anyone makes them this way. :no:

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, I wanted to get the AO style too, but since a certain someone challenged me on the OS to figure out how to make the 194 switchbacks work, I had to go with the AW style to match. :tongue:

Now that I have a pair in my side mirrors, so I see them operating up close, they do seem more like they are flashing white when the parking lights are on, since the amber isn't as bright (without a reflector like the fronts). I guess a solution would be to find bulbs with twice as many amber LEDs as the white ones, but I don't think anyone makes them this way. :no:

I dont like the white in the sides. I tried a bright 194 white led in the corner and it looks fugly because the amber lense canceles out the white

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Attachments

• IMAG0253 cropped.jpg
    IMAG0253 cropped.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Sib and CaptainKD

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
Blckshdw said:
5mm blue flat top LEDs, wired up groups of 3 in series, in parallel sets, with a 1/8W resistor at the head of each parallel group. :thumbsup:

1st Row: 63 LEDs per light
22ohm (7 groups), 20ohm (8 groups), 27ohm (6 groups)

2nd Row: 63 LEDs per light
22ohm (7 groups), 20ohm (8 groups), 27ohm (6 groups)

3rd Row: 36 LEDs per light
51ohm (3 groups), 39ohm (4 groups), 39ohm (4 groups),150ohm (1 group)

Cargo: 60 LEDs
5x 39ohm (4 groups)

Grand Total: 384!! :woohoo:

Getting started lacing up and soldering the LEDs for the cargo section

IMAG0094.jpg

1st row layout test... Somehow, my initial design didn't work at all, clearance issues underneath, so I had to improvise by slanting one section. In hindsight, I wish I had done that with the others too, coulda fit MORE!! :duh:

IMAG0098.jpg

Cargo light test fit

IMAG0097.jpg

3rd row lights, test fit

IMAG0095.jpg

2nd row lights, test fit

IMAG0096.jpg

1st row lights, test fit

IMAG0099.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new...

IMAG0101.jpg

1st row installed

IMAG0102.jpg

2nd row installed

IMAG0103.jpg

Shot from the rear of the truck with the lift gate glass open. Clipped off the cargo light, but you get the idea

IMAG0104.jpg

Perimeter lighting activated, through tinted windows. :cool:

IMAG0159.jpg

I apologize for quoting all of your post but it was just too pretty to leave any of it out :pictures: anyways, obviously you are pretty skilled when it comes to wiring these LED boards and I had a thought/question/suggestion for you. How hard would it be to cut out the innards of the tail light housing and wire up an LED panel something along the lines of...

Audi:
View attachment 21344

or maybe Charger:
View attachment 21345

Attachments

• audi led tails.jpg
    audi led tails.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Charger-tail-lights-550x412.jpg
    Charger-tail-lights-550x412.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 331

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
Sparky said:
I bought LED tail lights that look like factory ones, except they are LED similar like that (though they have LEDs in the center too).

I think I know to which ones you are referring to, the circle pattern LEDs right? I've also seen the square row LEDs (Depo I think), and the ones BO TIE SS is rockin', IPCWs. But while browsing this thread it seems that there are more than a few guys on here that seem to be very proficient with wiring up these custom LED panels, and I quoted BLCKSHADOW because I believe if i'm not mistaken he was also the one who cut into his headlight assembly to create the clear corners. I just think that the outline LEDs like the ones on the vehicles mentioned above are pretty sweet, and i'd like to see what that might look like on a GMT

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BINGA said:
I apologize for quoting all of your post but it was just too pretty to leave any of it out :pictures: anyways, obviously you are pretty skilled when it comes to wiring these LED boards and I had a thought/question/suggestion for you. How hard would it be to cut out the innards of the tail light housing and wire up an LED panel something along the lines of...

Audi:
<snip>

or maybe Charger:
<snip>

Actually, I've thought about doing both of those concepts, and a few others. I have a few ideas, but I won't get the chance to investigate for quite some time as somethings have come up recently that are effectively putting my mod bug into hibernation. :Zzzz: (I have the Depot tails with the square LED layout currently)

Decembersend said:
I wouldn't give Blckshdw any ideas he'll spend hours upon hours hiding in his home trying to figure it out only to break something :raspberry:

:raspberry: :hahano: So in the meantime, feel free to give all these ideas to David, he's no slouch, and I can't think of anyone better to pass the reigns to! :yes: :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Step 2 of 3, of my rear view mirror mod, got the passenger seat ejector indicator put in and looking almost stock. :wootwoot:

RearView3.jpg

This is probably my 4th or 5th rendition of this mod, with the previous versions looking like complete garbage when installed and the LEDs on behind them. I think I found one that I like. Although there's some bleed through in the pic, it doesn't look like this in person. Of course, the real test will be to see how they look at night when the lights are at their brightest. :worried:
wish.gif

I may take it apart again and spray some Niteshades on top of the OFF/ON to tone it down some for when the LEDs are on, and make it look more like the stock insert did when they are off :undecided:

RearView4.jpg

Step 3 of 3, was to change the digital display for the compass and exterior temp from green to blue by layering some blue vinyl on top of it. I lost count of how many layers I put on it, but it was a ton, and caused me to put a little extra effort into closing up the mirror housing when putting it back together. I'll get a good pic of that at tonight :thumbsup:

If it turns out good enough, then I'll try doing the same to my cluster displays :yes: :biggrin:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Alright so I sent my cluster back, had them fix the one light that was still burnt out, and replace the green LEDs with White LEDs. Much better light saturation, but I'm still disappointed in the light output. The white LEDs have a blue tint to them, which is over exaggerated in my photos. It looks more white first hand, but I still like them. I just wish they were a bit brighter :/. Here's some pics.

BEFORE:
MmZsX.jpg

AFTER:
S4kpr.jpg

G8KNh.jpg

FpmZd.jpg

UgcTe.jpg

Reactions: CaptainKD

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: The white LEDs look much better than the green ones did. There's a film on the backside of the cluster face that has a slight blue tint to it, that's why they appear blue like that.

:undecided: Now it's just a matter of time before you start getting annoyed by the other lights compared to the LEDs and want those changed out too! :laugh:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Now it's just a matter of time before you start getting annoyed by the other lights compared to the LEDs and want those changed out too! :laugh:

Already noticed this... :sadcry:

Oh, I bumped some of the needles when I was cleaning the cluster after I received it, because it had some debris on them. Now if you push the gauges they will go all the way around, but you can feel where they push a little bit. I tried to reset them as best as I could, but will this affect the position of the needles for my RPM/Speed? It seemed like when I plugged the cluster back in, they went back into a nominally set position, but is that true regardless of where the needles start out at? Like if I moved the detent back or forward so the needle's max range isn't actually in the range of speed or rpm?

Hope that made sense haha.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, the needles will dip briefly when they regain a connection to power and you'll hear the stepper motor buzz, but then return to where they were. I noticed that during my cluster mod testing.

Audiophobe

Aug 12, 2012
djthumper said:
from the bakery...

Seriously, you can order it from mouser.com or digikey.com or if there is a Fry's Electronics nearby. Most electronic component shops should have it. I don't think Radio Shack does anymore.

Radio Shack does not carry anything even close. Either it was going to be twice as bright or half as bright. I have another question too. Are you able to dim the dash and interior lights with these LED's? If you had to do anything else please advise because I would like to do these mods on my own vehicle. I would like to retain the dimming capability if possible.:biggrin:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Audiophobe said:
Radio Shack does not carry anything even close. Either it was going to be twice as bright or half as bright. I have another question too. Are you able to dim the dash and interior lights with these LED's? If you had to do anything else please advise because I would like to do these mods on my own vehicle. I would like to retain the dimming capability if possible.:biggrin:

Yes, the LEDs will dim with the knob. There is a point where the LEDs stop fading, and just turn off completely, where you'd think they may still have a slight bit of output. After the first couple of times you dim them (at least with a complete interior conversion) you won't even notice it. Now if you have a few stock filament bulbs left, then you might...

Audiophobe

Aug 12, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Finally got around to doing a lil documentation of the module polarities yesterday. First up are the instrument clusters, there are a few slight differences between the DIC and non DIC clusters. Of the 4 contact pads per stock bulb, only 2 of them are used. I put the + sign in the corner where the positive pad is, since there isn't one side or the other like all other modules.

Polarity-DICCluster.jpg

Polarity-NonDICCluster.jpg

Driver and passenger door modules. Since I have an LS with the basic options, I don't know if the other trim level modules use the same light source or have additional bulb sockets.

Polarity-LSDDM.jpg

Polarity-LSPDM.jpg

Rear Wiper Switch

Polarity-RearWiperSwitch.jpg

Manual HVAC

Polarity-ManualHVAC.jpg

Headlight switch. I did notice the circuit board is stamped for GMT370s, so there may be differences with the short wheel base versions. I know some have a light under the dimmer knob.

Polarity-HeadlampSwitch.jpg

Do you happen to have one of these for the HVAC controller? I am having a hell of a time with it. There are 8 LED's and I cant get them to all work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

:hissyfit::confused:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Audiophobe said:
Do you happen to have one of these for the HVAC controller? I am having a hell of a time with it. There are 8 LED's and I cant get them to all work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

:hissyfit::confused:

I used to have one for the manual HVAC, but people reported that it was inaccurate. I don't know which ones, or if it was all of them, but more than one member said they had issues with their lights when they hooked it up that way, so that's where the missing pic comes from. Sorry man. :frown:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
What are the bulb numbers for the front small turn signal lights on the sides of the Envoys? They are the amber ones, that alternate with the main turn signal bulbs. If I install LED's in all of my turn signals, will they flash really fast?

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
What are the bulb numbers for the front small turn signal lights on the sides of the Envoys? They are the amber ones, that alternate with the main turn signal bulbs. If I install LED's in all of my turn signals, will they flash really fast?
I used 3157 switchback leds (white running amber/off amber/off when turning and then back to solid white in running mode. All i had to do was cut the two tiny tabs off the sides and they fit snug :smile: in order to prevent the "hyper flash" when installing the leds you will need load resisters (6ohm 50watt) and problem solved!

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I ordered the 60-60 Switchback from Autolumination so mine is amber white amber white, the bulb is never off lol. Instead of putting resistors inline though, I bought the updated flasher module from RockAuto.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:

The small ones on the side are 194 bulbs :twocents:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Oh yup sorry didn't even read that part, the main bulbs are 3157 and the small ones are 194. If you want to get the 194's to work look for Carlton's switchback DPDT relay schematic. Had to get some help from him to get mine to work lol

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Just got my truck inspected but I just noticed my left brake light is out. Lights come on but the brakes don't illuminate. Think I'm just gonna splooge on LEDs and replace everything that keeps burning out.

Okay so I need 194s for front alternating turn signal lights, and license plate lights.
3157 fits front cornering lights, turn signals, and brake lights? Do regular 3157 bulbs work as brake lights/running lights?
Also need the # for the reverse back up lights for the Envoys.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
All 4 of the lights in the rear are 3157 (Turn, parking, brake, and reverse) however if you plan on using LED's, only the reverse will work with regular LED 3157's. All the bulbs in the tail light have opposite polarity so you need to either repin the board, or find SRCK style LED bulbs.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
fr34kout said:
All 4 of the lights in the rear are 3157 (Turn, parking, brake, and reverse) however if you plan on using LED's, only the reverse will work with regular LED 3157's. All the bulbs in the tail light have opposite polarity so you need to either repin the board, or find SRCK style LED bulbs.

By the way, are there fog-light lenses for the reverse lights in the Envoys? I hate how they are part reflector, and the lighted part is frosted/checkered out. These LEDs look pretty beastly for the reverse and cornering lights, pretty pricey but I want nice and bright.... just not sure if I should mess with the back up light lenses or not.

Putco White 3157 Type 360-Degree High Intensity LED Premium Replacement Bulb - Sold in Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive

SRCK bulbs? Would these work:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NYW8PI/?tag=gmtnation-20

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Check out this guy's site, he's a vendor I believe here as well as TBSSOwners

Wix.com LEDS created by dfwizleds based on auto-repair-express | Wix.com

I ordered one set of 3157's for my front corner lights. I think they were about $20-22 a pair instead of 40. The only one I can find on the site right now is the same as the one you posted, except each row only has 2 LED's instead of 3. You could try to email him and see if he still has the one with 3 in each row.

As for the reverse housing, I saw one guy from the OS who retrofitted the fog light housings into the reverse spot. I believe he had to cut a little of the bumper to fit the mounting bolts through, but he was able to make it work. He also had to splice in connectors for 880 bulbs. Personally I tinted all of my tail lights so I sprayed the red reflector with about 3 coats of VHT then did 1 coat on the whole light so the light would shine through fine.

I'll go see if I can find the pm he send to me on trailvoy about the fog lights.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I doubt those will work, I don't see anything about SRCK.

Here's the PM the guy sent me about the fog lights.

"thanx for the props on mine,,,My reverse lights are actually a set of factory foglights...Its a simple mod to do,all you need is get 2 plugs for the foglights(bought mine at napa auto parts)...I just cut off the plugs for the reverse lights(2 wires) and twisted on the foglight plugs..very easy!..Also you need to trim away some of the reverse light housing to get the fogs to sit in and mount....just remember to leave the the 2 mounting holes so you have something to attach to.....I did the mod because i tinted my windows with 5% and it was hard to see backing up at night...The reverse fogs make a huge difference. "

He said it took about an hour to do and he used regular 880 bulbs.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
So I just replaced a few burnt out bulbs with OEM style bulbs... including the 194 bulb in the front turn signals. Now, when my turn signals are on, or the 4-ways, instead of alternating, both turn signal lights on each side flash together. They were just working right the other day, so why are they doing this?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I assume you are talking about LED bulbs in them... During the day, they are supposed to flash in sync with the 3157s up front. It's when the parking lights are on, that they would flash in the opposite pattern as the fronts. With LEDs they will only light up as parking lights, OR turn signals (because they are polarized) and not for both functions. Unless you get the 194 switchbacks... :cool:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I assume you are talking about LED bulbs in them... During the day, they are supposed to flash in sync with the 3157s up front. It's when the parking lights are on, that they would flash in the opposite pattern as the fronts. With LEDs they will only light up as parking lights, OR turn signals (because they are polarized) and not for both functions. Unless you get the 194 switchbacks... :cool:

No regular OEM style bulbs. But I have always seen the 194s and 3157s up front blink in opposite intervals with each other. Doesn't matter if the lights are on, off, 4-way, turn signal, parking lights, etc.

So you are saying that they will only blink in opposite intervals when the parking lights are on, so as to contrast the lighting a bit more? I'll have to try it out, but I just thought they always did the same thing no matter the situation.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I say do the switchbacks, you won't be disappointed lol.

[video=youtube;MRwX7_qaUmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwX7_qaUmc&context=C45a2492ADvjVQa1PpcFNuG-4psvcYj5uo1hhb2nIeDePtXXx0cJ0=[/video]

Reactions: CaptainKD

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:
No regular OEM style bulbs. But I have always seen the 194s and 3157s up front blink in opposite intervals with each other. Doesn't matter if the lights are on, off, 4-way, turn signal, parking lights, etc.

So you are saying that they will only blink in opposite intervals when the parking lights are on, so as to contrast the lighting a bit more? I'll have to try it out, but I just thought they always did the same thing no matter the situation.

It wasn't meant as a contrast, but it's a coincidence. For the 194 bulbs, the parking and turn signal lights use the other wire as it's ground connection, unlike the 3157s up front which have a separate ground connection. So when the turn signal fires, and the parking lights are not on, both bulbs receive the signal at the same time, and the signal exits through it's ground, and you get a simultaneous flash.

When the parking lights are already on, the 3157 gets brighter because there's a 2nd filament in it just for the turn signal, and the signal exits through the ground, giving you your flash. But for the 194, the current is flowing from the parking light wire, into the turn signal already, giving you light. When the turn signal fires, both signals are pushing against each other with equal current, which results in NO current flow at all, and the bulb turns off. When the turn signal turns off, then current resumes flowing and the bulb comes back on, and it gives the illusion of flashing opposite the front bulbs. :thumbsup:

And what is this talk of using filament bulbs, you are polluting this thread!! :nono: :raspberry:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
It wasn't meant as a contrast, but it's a coincidence. For the 194 bulbs, the parking and turn signal lights use the other wire as it's ground connection, unlike the 3157s up front which have a separate ground connection. So when the turn signal fires, and the parking lights are not on, both bulbs receive the signal at the same time, and the signal exits through it's ground, and you get a simultaneous flash.

When the parking lights are already on, the 3157 gets brighter because there's a 2nd filament in it just for the turn signal, and the signal exits through the ground, giving you your flash. But for the 194, the current is flowing from the parking light wire, into the turn signal already, giving you light. When the turn signal fires, both signals are pushing against each other with equal current, which results in NO current flow at all, and the bulb turns off. When the turn signal turns off, then current resumes flowing and the bulb comes back on, and it gives the illusion of flashing opposite the front bulbs. :thumbsup:

And what is this talk of using filament bulbs, you are polluting this thread!! :nono: :raspberry:

Cool thanks. And until I learn how to do the resistor mods for LED bulbs all around, I chose to be cheap for now on the 2-mode lights and do filament bulbs. LED's will be coming for my reverse lights, license plate lights, and front cornering lights soon.

Those switchbacks are cool, but why no light in the small side marker housing? I would rather have regular amber LEDs instead of switchbacks though.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Anyone have a part number for the license plate light covers? Mine are fogged over and screws need replaced too.

cartman57

Dec 4, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
Anyone have a part number for the license plate light covers? Mine are fogged over and screws need replaced too.

**000046 LAMP RR LIC PLT $13.56 From GMpartseast, screws are $1.01 each!!
I replaced mine with stainless screws and cleaned the light covers when I did the LED bulbs

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online