LED Mod Thread

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Careful, depending on the logic of the chip cutting the trace may make it permanently in "bulb out" mode.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:popcorn: Very interested to see how that plays out. Still have my stock flasher, so if that works, one of my down-the-road-when-I-have-money-to-experiment mods may work without load resistors (Not keen on those either)

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:popcorn: Very interested to see how that plays out. Still have my stock flasher, so if that works, one of my down-the-road-when-I-have-money-to-experiment mods may work without load resistors (Not keen on those either)

It works... Kind of.... Flash speed is reduced from standard hyperflash to about halfway between hyperflash and stock.

I'll have pics of the trace cut after work in case that speed is acceptable to some people. My phone can't get that close of a shot.

Moar experimenting is in order.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Here's the pic of the trace to cut (circled in red)... my computer was giving me fits so after a stern lecture... It's reversible with just a dab of solder on the cut section to re-complete the trace.

8EHHR.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

MAXI_MUM

Mar 9, 2012
kardain said:
Here's the pic of the trace to cut (circled in red)... my computer was giving me fits so after a stern lecture... It's reversible with just a dab of solder on the cut section to re-complete the trace.

8EHHR.jpg

Hi, tell me, where is this relay

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It's the turn signal flasher... Up under the dash near the brake pedal.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
I did led mod and worked fine followed diagrams etc...service 4wd light is on but the 4wd switch works perfect and car switches to all 4wd/2wd settings fine? Also...my fog light switch now controls whether my leds are on or off haha wtf is going on

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I did led mod and worked fine followed diagrams etc...service 4wd light is on but the 4wd switch works perfect and car switches to all 4wd/2wd settings fine? Also...my fog light switch now controls whether my leds are on or off haha wtf is going on

:confused: WTH did you do!!!! :laugh:

Without seeing how you soldered your bulbs in, it's hard to advise. Best thing you can do is go back and check to make sure nothing is touching the traces on the circuit boards that shouldn't be. That's usually what causes things to get weird on you.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:confused: WTH did you do!!!! :laugh:

hahahah I have no idea what happened. Everything looked fine, I pulled all the dash out took needles off checked and did that for every thing I modded. turned it on and :yikes:no luck I got frustrated and unpluged battery for 25 minutes and its fixed lmfao....:crazy: these trucks are just crazy sometimes

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Headlight switch. I did notice the circuit board is stamped for GMT370s, so there may be differences with the short wheel base versions. I know some have a light under the dimmer knob.

Polarity-HeadlampSwitch.jpg

HOW the hell does that Ribboned board come off of the housing...need to know before I break something.:biggrin:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think I've seen 2 guys do this mod, with the ribbon taken off. I couldn't see an easy way to do it, without breaking something, or desoldering it, so I just dealt with it as carefully as I could.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, i just left mine on and kinda bent it outta the way... you cant see the ribbon bend that much, but you get the idea of how we did it...

2011-09-05155553.jpg

2011-09-05162842.jpg

Reactions: CaptainKD

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
IDk what the deal is everything was working great and now my interior dash lights wont come on, my headlight switch its fully functional with, headlights on off fog lights and dome override all work but no dash lights and fully turning the dimmer still turns on the domes everything looks good. :confused:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
STLtrailbSS said:
IDk what the deal is everything was working great and now my interior dash lights wont come on, my headlight switch its fully functional with, headlights on off fog lights and dome override all work but no dash lights and fully turning the dimmer still turns on the domes everything looks good. :confused:

Check rear block, fuse #4 TBC3 or fuse#7 TBC2

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

It could be the drl (daytine running lights) sensor. Try shutting of the vehicle, covering ip the sensor with something that completely blocks the light out (i used a shirt) and then start the truck back up after a minute.
all kinds of f**ked up $hit happens with this drl system sometimes. Mine at night was fine and during day was an electrical nightmare until i figured out it was the drl sensor

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Im going to have to recheck everything I'm blowing fuses like the 4th of July over here

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
IMAG0284.jpg

Got It!Many fuses later the slightest rub on the HVAC

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
STLtrailbSS said:
Im going to have to recheck everything I'm blowing fuses like the 4th of July over here

Gotta love it when that happens. Hopefully you find the short on your first check.

Edit: Well that was (almost) painless!! :raspberry:

Freddy G.

Dec 4, 2011
Yes I took the easy way out. I found these Led Light Panels on Ebay. Now to get them installed. I bought them for $2.49 a piece. HOLY Shit are they Bright! BUY THEM! I only bought 2 for now to see how I liked them. Now I am not to sure if I should go with all White or Red?

Attachments

• Led Lights.jpg
    Led Lights.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Bright.jpg
    Bright.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 63
  • Dark.jpg
    Dark.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 64

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I've gotten a number of requests on how to make a polarity changer for the corner switchbacks, so here's the scoop. Someone with an Envoy will have to clarify for me, but your 194 corner bulbs don't flash do they? :undecided:

Required Parts:
2 x DPDT mini relays
6 x 12V diodes

Optional Parts:
2 x AC Delco Connectors: PT2426
2 x AC Delco Connectors: PT1324

Here's a mock up of the end result I came up with. I ran the ground connection to the fender grounds on each side. The OEM connectors are only required if you want to make this plug and play, but they are pricey. You could also cut the turn signal and parking wires, and splice the polarity switcher in.

I will say, if you go plug and play, things will be a bit more crowded around the top corner of the headlight, so don't skimp on the wiring going into/out of the relay. You'll need to have enough wire to allow the changer to be folded over and tucked away. I used 'liquid tape' to weatherproof it, but you could wrap it with electrical tape, cover it with silicone, or whatever else you've got on hand.

194SwitchbackPolarityModule.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Ok Carlton trying to make sure I understand the polarity switcher.

So first off, the 2 prongs off by themselves to the far left are #1 and #16?

As far as the wiring, #1 and #4 to ground with diodes, #6 and #9 is yellow input so that would be the turn signal wire, with #8 and #11 being white input so that's parking light wire? And I tap these both from the 3157 bulb turn signal correct?

Then #16 and #13 has a diode between them, and these are turn signal and parking wire so these get connected to the 194 bulb? Is that correct or am I horribly off lol

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fr34kout said:
Ok Carlton trying to make sure I understand the polarity switcher.

So first off, the 2 prongs off by themselves to the far left are #1 and #16?

As far as the wiring, #1 and #4 to ground with diodes, #6 and #9 is yellow input so that would be the turn signal wire, with #8 and #11 being white input so that's parking light wire? And I tap these both from the 3157 bulb turn signal correct?

Then #16 and #13 has a diode between them, and these are turn signal and parking wire so these get connected to the 194 bulb? Is that correct or am I horribly off lol

You're not off horrible, just partially. :tongue: You are getting these signals from the 194 bulb's socket, this is the reason for the OEM sockets on each end (optional). TBs aren't nice and handy to have the 3157 and 194 bulbs right on top of each other like Voys do. In your case, you could just take that 194 turn signal bulb out altogether once you put a regular switchback in there.

Now if you were going to put the switchback in the bumper corner light, then yeah, would probably be easiest to tap the 3157 bulbs wires and run them where you need them to go. Not sure how all that would jive with your fog/turn signal mod you just finished though :undecided:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Haha yea I'm lucky with the bulb placement, but I'm going to take out the orange reflector (still unsure if I'm going to attempt to mold a clear reflector or just leave it open) but I already have the 194 switchback so I figured I want to do both the 3157 and 194 as switchbacks lol. As far as the corners, I just want those to stay white haha, never thought about making that a switchback and don't want you getting these ideas in my head and making me want to change my mind lol.

So what you're saying is that the relay basically goes inbetween the wiring for the 194 bulb? with "White" and "Yellow" input being the side of the wires coming from the battery / fusebox, and the "Turn Signal" / "Parking Signal" are going to the bulb side of the wiring?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pretty much :yes: Assuming the Voy 194 turn signal setup is the same as the TB, you have a 194 socket that can detach from the pigtail that has 2 wires going into it (parking and turn signal) The OEM connectors are used to make it a plug and play application, then you just ground to wherever is convenient.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Alright I think I got it now, I'll get to it some time this week. Doing a diff flush on a 93 explorer, trans flush on a 2000 z28, and swapping in a new subframe on my 95 saturn lol. Spring break ftw, I'll find some time in there to wire up one of these relays and see if I can get it working correctly. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fr34kout said:
Alright I think I got it now, I'll get to it some time this week. Doing a diff flush on a 93 explorer, trans flush on a 2000 z28, and swapping in a new subframe on my 95 saturn lol. Spring break ftw, I'll find some time in there to wire up one of these relays and see if I can get it working correctly. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses :thumbsup:

:biggrin: Glad to help! :cool:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
STLtrailbSS said:
Ok So im wanting to do a full led swap but right now im focusing on a bulb for reverse lights that will be BRIGHT i need to see through 5% tint on the hatch.
What do ya think
Amazon.com: Oracle Lighting 3157SPIDER Cool White 30 LED 3157 Spider SMD Bulb: Automotive

:biggrin: I like where your idea is going... Those lights should be pretty bright for direct line of sight, although LEDs don't throw a ton of reflective light out like headlights do. One guy on the OS modded his reverse sockets to put HIDs in them. THOSE were bright as :lipsrsealed:!!

kardain

Dec 16, 2011

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Carlton, I need your help again lol.

Wired up 1 relay today to try to get it to work. Pins 1 & 4 have diodes, then both are connected to ground. Pin 16 for Turn Signal went to the Brown Wire hanging off the bulb, and pin 13 for Parking Signal went to the Blue Wire hanging off the bulb. Now I'm working on the driver side if that makes a difference for the wiring colors of wires.

Now I started off by hooking up pins 6 & 9 to the brown wire coming from the fuse box, and pins 8 & 11 to the blue wire coming from the fuse box. When I did this I couldn't get my parking lights to turn on, and my turn signal was flashing white. Went and switched the bulb and got the bulb to flash orange. Went to the rear fusebox and changed the 10 amp fuse for the parking lights, then started the car up again. Blew the fuse again so I tried to switch the wire for pins 6 & 9 with the wire for pins 8 & 11 and vice versa (basically switched the input wires) and replaced the fuse. This time the turn signal fuse blew, so I replaced that one. Now I have my running lights working with the white LED lit up, but when I go to turn on the turn signal it just lights up a slightly brighter white. What did I do wrong :sadcry:?

I'll resummarize wires to make it easier to understand. As it sits now, 1 & 4 diode then to ground. 6 & 9 Blue from fuse box. 8 & 11 Brown from fuse box. 13 Blue wire to bulb. 16 Brown wire to bulb. Diode between 16 and 13.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011

jham

Nov 20, 2011

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fr34kout said:
Carlton, I need your help again lol.

Wired up 1 relay today to try to get it to work. Pins 1 & 4 have diodes, then both are connected to ground. Pin 16 for Turn Signal went to the Brown Wire hanging off the bulb, and pin 13 for Parking Signal went to the Blue Wire hanging off the bulb. Now I'm working on the driver side if that makes a difference for the wiring colors of wires.

Now I started off by hooking up pins 6 & 9 to the brown wire coming from the fuse box, and pins 8 & 11 to the blue wire coming from the fuse box. When I did this I couldn't get my parking lights to turn on, and my turn signal was flashing white. Went and switched the bulb and got the bulb to flash orange. Went to the rear fusebox and changed the 10 amp fuse for the parking lights, then started the car up again. Blew the fuse again so I tried to switch the wire for pins 6 & 9 with the wire for pins 8 & 11 and vice versa (basically switched the input wires) and replaced the fuse. This time the turn signal fuse blew, so I replaced that one. Now I have my running lights working with the white LED lit up, but when I go to turn on the turn signal it just lights up a slightly brighter white. What did I do wrong :sadcry:?

I'll resummarize wires to make it easier to understand. As it sits now, 1 & 4 diode then to ground. 6 & 9 Blue from fuse box. 8 & 11 Brown from fuse box. 13 Blue wire to bulb. 16 Brown wire to bulb. Diode between 16 and 13.

:undecided: The fuse box is not my version of this equation, so I think that's where your problem is. You're essentially backfeeding the signal from the fuse box, back into itself from the turn signal/parking light wiring up front if I'm understanding what you did correctly. That's why your fuses are blowing. Everything is done at the front of the truck. 1 & 4 are grounded, so you have that right. 16 gets the turn signal feed from the brown wire, so also correct. 13 gets the parking signal from the blue wire, also correct. Those are the inputs for the relay to function.

6 & 9 are output to the yellow (turn signal) inputs of the 194 switchback, and 8 & 11 are output to the white (parking signal) input of the 194 switchback, not the fuse box. What will happen is, when one signal comes on, the other will act as a ground, completing the circuit, with the turn signal taking priority over the parking signal when both are to be on at the same time. Hope that makes more sense now.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I think I had it backwards, I was using 16 and 13 as outputs, and the other 4 pins and inputs. i'll try switch it today and see if I can get it to work lol

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
fireman4215 said:
Put some LED grill lights on tonight. Got the idea from DJones.
4c007aa3-7b72-6c6c.jpg

4c007aa3-7b7f-7094.jpg

What do the LEDs look like when not hooked up and how are they mounted?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Short Bus said:
What do the LEDs look like when not hooked up and how are they mounted?
hardly noticeable if ya ask me.
a6cd08d9-9ba0-de44.jpg

I used stainless bolts, washers, and nuts to prevent rusting. I painted the front of the washers black so they wouldn't stand out in the grill.

a6cd08d9-9bb1-5605.jpg

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: The fuse box is not my version of this equation, so I think that's where your problem is. You're essentially backfeeding the signal from the fuse box, back into itself from the turn signal/parking light wiring up front if I'm understanding what you did correctly. That's why your fuses are blowing. Everything is done at the front of the truck. 1 & 4 are grounded, so you have that right. 16 gets the turn signal feed from the brown wire, so also correct. 13 gets the parking signal from the blue wire, also correct. Those are the inputs for the relay to function.

6 & 9 are output to the yellow (turn signal) inputs of the 194 switchback, and 8 & 11 are output to the white (parking signal) input of the 194 switchback, not the fuse box. What will happen is, when one signal comes on, the other will act as a ground, completing the circuit, with the turn signal taking priority over the parking signal when both are to be on at the same time. Hope that makes more sense now.

Ok I tried again today doing exactly like you said. 1 & 4 grounded with diodes, 16 is getting the brown turn signal wire, 13 is getting the blue parking signal wire with a diode between them. 6 & 9 go to one input on the bulb, 8 & 11 going to the other input on the bulb.

Parking lights are working on all bulbs except the LED, when I turn on the left turn signal it doesn't blink it just stays a steady left turn with the bulb still not lighting up. Also the diode between 16 & 13 is getting HOT as hell, burned through some insulation on the wires. What did I do wrong now >.>

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fr34kout said:
Ok I tried again today doing exactly like you said. 1 & 4 grounded with diodes, 16 is getting the brown turn signal wire, 13 is getting the blue parking signal wire with a diode between them. 6 & 9 go to one input on the bulb, 8 & 11 going to the other input on the bulb.

Parking lights are working on all bulbs except the LED, when I turn on the left turn signal it doesn't blink it just stays a steady left turn with the bulb still not lighting up. Also the diode between 16 & 13 is getting HOT as hell, burned through some insulation on the wires. What did I do wrong now >.>

That statement confused me, the bulb is on, or off? What is steady?

Did you install your diodes backwards? When the turn signal flashes, you should hear the relay clicking as the signal energizes the relay's coil. Do you get this too?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online