How long do you plan on keeping your Trailblazer / Envoy?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
His younger brother acts up a lot more than he ever did... hence why it's back at my house instead of being the shop run around vehicle... still never get tired of looking at the TB though. Aged very well.
20200222_123253.jpg

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
Our '06 TB will need to go at least another 5 years or so. My older son drives it now...he's a junior in high school. Depending on a lot of things....he'll probably get something a little newer in 2-3 years, at which time his brother will be driving ,and he will likely get the Trailblazer for a few years. It's good enough for around town driving and we know it's quirks, plus it's relatively easy to work on.

Reactions: Beacon

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I also just bought new summer tires. The old ones were great, very even wear between the tires, but at the end of last summer the tread was down to 2/32.

So I am hoping it will last until this set of summer tires run out. Maybe three or four years. Still runs fine, but I am sure things are lurking around the corner .....

Reactions: Beacon

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Hey folks - I just dropped in after another long absence, to find a spot to let people know I've reached that point where I'm finally willing to let go of my '05. Still been driving it daily, but some issues are starting to arise that will require more maintenance for me to keep it, and I just don't feel like investing the time and energy. I considered selling it, but I suspect when I go to get it safetied I'll find a couple issues that will need to be corrected for it to pass (mainly upper control arm bushings & cracked exhaust manifold).

Bought in 2012 with 170k km on it, now over 400k...served me well, but I've made a deal to pick up a beautiful 2012 X5 50i with M-sport pkg next week.

Kind of a shame since it has sooooo many recent new parts, I figure I'll part it out before I dump it as scrap.

If anybody has any interest, PM me for details
Cheers :smile:

So, here's some pics of the X5, fresh from an exterior buff and polish and engine bay cleaning.

@Mooseman , you might be able to see why I'm not really all that sad! FYI, I had just done the rotors, calipers, pads all around on the 'Voy just prior to the winter season, you should seriously consider retrieving them before I scrap it. Also had new winter Michelin Xice Xi2 on alloys mounted in November and new Pirelli Scorpion ATR on better alloys used from April til Nov last year....

Cheers :smile:

Attachments

• 20200311_175513.jpg
    20200311_175513.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200311_175519.jpg
    20200311_175519.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200311_175527_HDR.jpg
    20200311_175527_HDR.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200311_175539_HDR.jpg
    20200311_175539_HDR.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200311_175549.jpg
    20200311_175549.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200312_145551_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145551_HDR.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200312_145618.jpg
    20200312_145618.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200312_145636_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145636_HDR.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200312_145654_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145654_HDR.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200312_145731_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145731_HDR.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200312_145750_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145750_HDR.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200312_145827_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145827_HDR.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200312_145955_HDR.jpg
    20200312_145955_HDR.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200312_150008.jpg
    20200312_150008.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200312_150030_HDR.jpg
    20200312_150030_HDR.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
An 05 with >150k miles... you can take it... from my cold dead hands !!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Most of the OG's know my backstory.. I've been through so much that she's staying in my family forever. Pretty doubtful that they will ever be "collectible" but i would hope that someone in my family would appreciate her when the time comes. '07 SS that I bought on Oct. 20, 2008 with 9800 miles on her. 13 years later, her body has 62,xxx miles and her new heart has ~7-8,xxx miles. The only way i could possibly see her leaving is if I come across a trade/deal for one my dream cars. Unless i hit the lottery and can have all 3 :crackup:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
For the past 16 years our '04 Trailblazer has been our daily driver, but now has been put out to pasture. Engine still ran strong with 199,500 miles on it, but the rest was getting too tired. It was replaced with a 4runner (ironically it was traded in on it's 16 birthday of being purchased).

1585396068585.png
This site has been a great site for learning about the trailblazer and willingness of all to help others. May this continue. With the good banter between folks it's good to know others are always willing to give a helping hand. On a side note my wife hugged the trailblazer "good bye." and still talks about it daily. Had the trailblazer as we know it still being manufactured we would have purchased it again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And you're more than welcome to stay and hang out. We still have some that are now owners of other brands. Yes, we're that good!

Your example of people moving to other brands shows that GM is not responding to what people want. Hello GM, are you listening?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Had the trailblazer as we know it still being manufactured we would have purchased it again.

I think all of us here agree with this, so does my wife.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Your example of people moving to other brands shows that GM is not responding to what people want. Hello GM, are you listening?
Apparently they weren't listening about making Ventilators either and had to get a kick in the ass to wake them up.
This is from a company that was bailed out a few years ago. What ever happened to the GM that we grew up loving.... :confused:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Moose, my thoughts exactly on gm not listening. When this one miles out, I would like another but they really only make one platform body on frame and its go awful expensive. Everything else they have is glorified minivans. Really my only new option is the 4Runner.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Short of a crash totalling it, I'm planning on keeping the TB forever since I got it in near mint condition. I've been getting it oil sprayed for winters. If it ever needs a tranny, I'll get it rebuilt. An engine, they're plenty in yards. Same with just about every major component.

If ever I need a replacement, I may look at the 4Runner but I'm a big guy and have no idea what the interior space is like. May have to go to something full size.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I just looked at a listing for a 2007 Saab 9-7X with >110k miles that I could probably get for $4000 and half considered it because I could keep it for when my TB gets too rusty. I'm several years away from that happening. I may have issues with driving anything else. 😂

Reactions: Pygot and Mooseman

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The 4runner is a bit small, I would say slightly better headroom than my 360 with sunroof, which I almost have to cant my head to sit in. I'm only 6'1 and other than headroom the 360 is good. The 4runner has similar and decent back seating as well, even the 3rd row I can squeeze into.

Also, with all this going on I think I will need to keep the covid cruiser longer. Call sign covert 19 I suppose.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm 6'2" and can relate to the sunroof headroom. This TB doesn't have one and the headroom is much better and don't really miss the sunroof. My hair keeps touching the roof in the Saab and annoys the crap out of me. Same problem I had in my '02.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I had problems with the sunroof too, but for some reason i dont in my XUV with a sunroof. Cant explain why except I dont have the rear air with all the venting in the roof? Im not sure.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Moose, my thoughts exactly on gm not listening. When this one miles out, I would like another but they really only make one platform body on frame and its go awful expensive. Everything else they have is glorified minivans. Really my only new option is the 4Runner.

Totally agree, but there are still the silverados, was talking to a friend who, (in 2018) picked up a 2017 with 13k miles on it for 27k$... and it had the tow package and 20 chromed wheels. I think im going to get another 10 years minimum out of the TB but when I have to replace her Ill definitely go the Silverado route.

Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

Riktar

Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
My 07 has 207000 miles on it. It is just now starting to drop some oil between changes. But it's a quart at most. It still sounds and run great. It still has a nice ride, the wife is comfortable driving an suv of this size: It's not a Yukon XL but it aint an S10 either. Kind of like the Goldilocks line... "It's just right."

With the exception of 2 vehicles I have driven every vehicle I have ever owned over 47 years straight to the boneyard when I was done with 'em. I don't see doing it any differently with this one. And on the tearful day that happens, I will start scouring the ads for another one in some rust free state. Assuming there are still parts available and somebody doesn't design a vehicle that suits me better.

Now if they ever decide to make a Trailblazer on the Colorado platform.... :yes:

I do have a nagging issue with the comutper telling me something (Stabilitrack, anti lock, etc) is wrong every once and awhile. The light never stays on long and it has almost turned into a conversation between me and the TB. Once of these days I am going to really dig into this to try and see what is going on.

Seeker469

May 5, 2017
USA
My 2005 Envoy just passed 206,000mi and it still runs like a champ. Cranks over with no hesitation, idles like a purring kitten and still accelerates hard when i put my foot in it. I have no qualms about loading up and driving it cross country tomorrow. It will get me there and back.

Chizzy

Apr 9, 2020
Spokane wa
Just wondering how long you plan on keeping your TB/Envoy. I do not have any intention on selling mine in the foreseeable future, or at least until I am no longer able to get parts.

I really do love this truck. Even at 11 years old, it still drives really nice, and is perfect for what I need it for. I just wish I was more knowledgeable on fixing anything that go wrong with it.

2005 TB ext 4x4 186k. I love it. Gonna keep mine until it's dead. Repair, maintain and detail, repeat as needed. Totally suits my needs. Small sound system upgrade. Would like to find a deal on some used wheels, gonna need new tires soon. Keep on Blazin'! Goodluck and good health.

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
What a great thought provoking topic. I bought mine at the end of March, just under 90k miles. When I bought it the idea was to get 4 years out of it, and anything after that is a win. When the service brake system light came on, I wanted to sell it. At the same time, I'm considering buying a Tech 2 so that i will be better prepared to fix problems as they arise. I've already invested my time and money into undercoating and 100k mile maintenance, 3k mile oil changes. So I'm really hoping to see another 100k plus and 6-7 years. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye out for another one, just not a SAAB, I do not like the idea of automatic 4wd, and not silver, one of the 2 worst commonly used car colors ever.
Just out of curiousity (and also owning a saab) what makes the AWD in the saab
A)Different
And
B)Worse
Thanks!

Reactions: paul2005tb

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's basically having a 4x4 in Auto4WD all the time. Can't switch it off and the front wheels are always locked to the diff (the disconnect doesn't disconnect) so a possible slight hit on MPG. I call it the "slip/bang" system where when it detects slip at the rear wheels, it bangs in the front wheels. Front wheels don't stay engaged for a long time. It's also the cause of stripped front intermediate shafts. There have even been some having it engage for no reason other than the fact the tires sizes were slightly different front to back. Some have gone as far as removing it or even changing it into a real 4x4 system.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea the Colorado platform is that good but a TB on it would be cake... having the 16 Silverado and the 19 colorado the fit and finish on the colorado blows it out of the water. The Silverado has nicer materials but it isn't put together that well. My buddy actually went from a 15 Sierra Denali to a Colorado after driving my truck. Wish I knew. Would have bought that thing in a heartbeat. Hes more anal than I am lol. The V6 driveline also feels better than the 5.3. I think the tuning for the V6 is a bit better on the shifting but it is probably the only credit I give ford. Their throttle and shift tuning is top notch compared to GM. My work work truck is a 150 and it does exactly what I tell it to. The colorado goes "nah, 8th is fine"

Reactions: Pygot

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
a bit larger than the trailblazer & electric but zero to 60 times expected to be less than 3 seconds...

1587330394463.png
Triton Solar is a privately held energy solutions company based in New Jersey. Launched in 2012, the company's goal is to change how the world creates, stores, and distributes its energy. Part of that plan includes electric vehicles, and Triton has just revealed the first rendered images and details about its first ride, the eight-seat Triton Model H SUV.
If all goes according to plan, there will be two versions of the Triton SUV, the base-level Model H and the Model H Performance. Both models will have standard all-wheel drive, thanks to a four-motor system, with one for each wheel, though they will not be located fully in the wheel hub. Triton claims the base model will have 1,000 horsepower, while the high-performance version will have up to 1,500 horsepower to the wheels. No torque numbers were mentioned, but Triton says the performance SUV will be capable of running from zero mph to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

Reactions: northcreek

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
It's basically having a 4x4 in Auto4WD all the time. Can't switch it off and the front wheels are always locked to the diff (the disconnect doesn't disconnect) so a possible slight hit on MPG. I call it the "slip/bang" system where when it detects slip at the rear wheels, it bangs in the front wheels. Front wheels don't stay engaged for a long time. It's also the cause of stripped front intermediate shafts. There have even been some having it engage for no reason other than the fact the tires sizes were slightly different front to back. Some have gone as far as removing it or even changing it into a real 4x4 system.
Perhaps I will have to look into how to convert it as I live in New England so I cant get rid of four by four or awd entirely. fyi the number four doesnt work on my keyboard :rolleyes:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
fyi the number four doesnt work on my keyboard :rolleyes:
You on a laptop or crApple? You should have a #4 on your keypad on the right side of the keyboard too?

Converting from 4x4/AWD to 2wd is super easy. Just a process of removing parts. Front CV axles, and Transfer Case to front diff drive shaft, and your done. Put in some gatorade caps to keep dirt out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Billdaman1

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
Just wondering how long you plan on keeping your TB/Envoy?

Been away for a long time, but wanted to check in. I cant easily bring myself to part with my XUV. I worked on the XUV Product team at GM from 2001 to 2004 and was in the meeting the day they sketched out the options for the roof. The roof Tooling in General assembly was my responsibility.

My vehicle is a 2004 and It’s been through a lot. I ran the hell out of it for over a decade. Then my daughter used it as a College beater for 4 years. Then I got it back and it’s been with me for 2 more years. During this time I picked up various discount parts and bits on Amazon to gradually nurse her back to health.

It’s rusting on the frame, suspension and wheel wells but still runs well. I sprayed a couple cans of Seafoam rust preventative on the entire frame This past winter after storing it. It’s spent the past two winters with some of my extra junk in a storage unit which at 150/ month cost me way more than it’s worth. I also have every GM OEM accessory they ever sold for it, a lot of it occupying space in the unit. Note the GM Envoy factory accessory Bull bar In the attached which is VERY rare. Have never seen another.

Currently at 147K miles. Probably only 5000 of these XUV’s at most left on the planet. I still have to fix a torn CV boot, and will use the XUV for moving some landscaping and furniture this summer. Then I need to suck them up tight and part with her. Been a great Truck. Out with the old, so I can deeply regret it in 10 years!

BTW, I go way back on the Trailvoy site. Had to have the Roadie saved me a number of times as moderator in my various online wars with DucatiSS before I was finally banned for life. I was a very angry dude at my former employer after leaving GM and never missed an opportunity to bash them for replacing the GMT 360/370/305 with the POS Acadia, Traverse minivans.

Then later I was accepted back into the fold on this site with a stern warning by the Roadie to “mind my manners” Which I have ever since. 😌

CB969F36-A098-49C1-AA2E-B8338DBD5453.jpeg44D2DFB1-1D7A-4AC9-8B1F-D189335B20E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
You on a laptop or crApple? You should have a #4 on your keypad on the right side of the keyboard too?

Converting from 4x4/AWD to 2wd is super easy. Just a process of removing parts. Front CV axles, and Transfer Case to front diff drive shaft, and your done. Put in some gatorade caps to keep dirt out.
Laptop... believe it or not they both dont work LOL
And yea what @Mooseman said the 4x4 bc I live in New England

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
For the past 3 years I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a pickup truck.... My girlfriend keeps bugging me about it... We'll see what happens this year... It's really hard to digest the $35,000 vehicle.... Think I paid $13 for my TB... I think in total I might have spent $1,500 to $2,000 in parts for it.
Well... since the world has shut down and now i'm making a lot less money, i'm glad I didnt buy a truck yet... there's still hope if the economy opens back up, but till then i'll settle for the small few hundred dollars in parts here and there instead of the $500/mo payment for a newer truck.

Billdaman1

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
It helps to think about keeping her when you’ve replaced the front suspension, clutch fan, thermostat, plugs, coil packs, O2 sensors, starter, alternator, exhaust manifold, exhaust system, Rack and pinion, brakes, rotors, tires, headlights, battery and serviced Coolant, transmission fluid in past two years.

Whats left to go wrong besides the frame rotting and dropping all those new parts on the ground?

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
I'm at 136,000 miles and have put on the last 6000 myself. This was a Texas car originally, now California and has minimal frame rust, though some parts like the steering shaft have surface rust on them (how does that happen on the interior). I'm at a point where I enjoy driving it daily and have decided to keep it long-term and do some of the necessary "old car" maintenance such as replacing worn out suspension parts. I'm not wealthy enough and have a fear of making car payments, and I like having this solid truck that I can kick the doors shut and not worry about how it looks or breaking it. If I need a bigger truck I'll be putting a roof box or basket in place.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
02 Envoy, purchased new, no plans to get rid of it. I just went though and replaced a lot of components, just turned over 300K mi and it was time to freshen up the steering, suspension, and brakes. I was looking at a second vehicle, or maybe 1st, but nothing peaked my interest.

Looked at a 2018-2020 Silverado 6.2L w/ max tow, was disappointed when I found out NONE of the 2nd row seats recline in any trim level....same for the F150/F250.

If I'm going to get another vehicle for the heavier towing and just a new vehicle, it needs to serve double-duty as a road trip vehicle. If the manufacturers want to save a base model crew cab for non-reclining seats, that's fine, but when you up the ante another 30K, it's not that hard to provide that option...in any trim level.

The Ram 1500 Laramie will recline in tbe 2nd row, even with a crew cab, but partial to GM.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online