horrible mpg and weird idle drop

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
uploadfromtaptalk1409263967594.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409263983612.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409263993565.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409264003110.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409264035126.jpg

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Sorry the videos actually messed up idk why I'm going to reupload now

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
KNBlazer said:
My CAT is original, last night I hooked up my scanner, and my live data showed a constant .735 on downstream.... I'm going to check temps at the inlet and outlet...Waiting on delivery of IF Thermometer...

Did you use a GM CAT?
Just got done checking my CAT Temps with an infrared thermometer, at idle I got 307-F in and 411-F out.... looks like it's doing its job....

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
hey gmcman can you post all the things you mention to get when cleaning out the engine

also i found a Nissan dealer close to me that does the bg44k service so i will see if i can buy a can or have them do the cleaning through the can they hook up on the fuel rail

if i got this correct i should get the gm cleaner and pour it in the tank then mix it with gas (what was the mix again?)
then spray it in the intake should i also use the gm or mopar top end cleaner overnight (is the gm cleaner a foam so i can leave it overnight in the cylinder?)

is there any specfic way to use the combustion chamber cleaner? i know jeep says to leave it in 1rst and drive it at high rpm then idle for a few seconds and repeat a few times

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I used this, mixed 1oz cleaner to 7oz gasoline. I sprayed into TB with RPM's around 1500-2000.

I also did the water through the booster hose along with a tank of 44K.

Attachments

• TEC.jpg
    TEC.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 15

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
gmcman said:
I used this, mixed 1oz cleaner to 7oz gasoline. I sprayed into TB with RPM's around 1500-2000.

I also did the water through the booster hose along with a tank of 44K.
should i just use it all at once (tank full of 44k and spraying gm cleaner, then do water)and then finish it off with a over night soak of the combustion chamber cleaner (gm or mopar?) and then just give it a long drive to run the rest of the cleaner through the fuel injectors

also wouldn't spraying the water through the intake be better since the brake booster only gets the last few cylinders?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
That 16 oz bottle makes almost a gallon of concentrated cleaner.....I would go 14 oz at a time, that takes a while with a spray bottle.

I agree the TB is better than the booster hose for water, or anything.

I haven't soaked the cylinders before but I hear Seafoam or the Mopar cleaner works well when soaked overnight....I have never done this.

The BG44K in the tank will hit the back of the valves with the injectors....very effective.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
gmcman said:
That 16 oz bottle makes almost a gallon of concentrated cleaner.....I would go 14 oz at a time, that takes a while with a spray bottle.

I agree the TB is better than the booster hose for water, or anything.

I haven't soaked the cylinders before but I hear Seafoam or the Mopar cleaner works well when soaked overnight....I have never done this.

The BG44K in the tank will hit the back of the valves with the injectors....very effective.
ok one last question how much should i buy?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I bought one bottle of top cleaner and used about 1/5 of the bottle, I would get one.

I used one can of 44K

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Ok I will see if I do this Sunday since Im going to order it online it comes out to
Bg44k- $23
Mopar top end - $12.22
Gm upper engine cleaner - $15.72
Total - $50.94

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
i was thinking of using water to decarbonize some of the engine today and was wondering should i take off the resonator and spray in throttle body or should i put a hose on the evap port on the tb and pour it in?

maybe i should try all 3 the brake booster, evap on the tb, and the capped off port that would get all cylinders pretty equally

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
It does work, just pour to the point where it begins the bog down I wouldn't go any faster than that to avoid hydrolock

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
ok well so far yesterday i sprayed 34oz of water through the brake booster with the rpm above 2k while spraying the water i got 3 codes
1.random cylinder misfire
2.idle speed to high
3.and u1026 for my tccm (idk why this popped up now)

the codes popped up during the time i pulled off the brake booster and was trying to fit a hose onto the booster i then capped off the booster port and the engine stalled. after that i was able to fit the sprayer nozzle in the port and was able to spray water in without a vacuum leak

after spraying all the water in i took it for a long drive and got some revs (only 2 wots) but i couldn't do much since there was traffic and lots of cops out :no:

so after the trip i was getting 9.6mpg then i tried it again today, this time i had a hose that fit and i poured the water in i ended up pouring in 17oz then i took it for another long drive and got some revs in but not much only 1 wot, but i did get another code p0014 for the cpas i have gotten this code before and i have cleaned it before also so maybe i need another cleaning? the oil is only 1200 miles old the oil life shows 75% so it cant be gummed up but idk maybe i need to replace it?

the gm uec should be coming in tommorow can i add the bg44k to a empty tank since i have a 1/4 tank or do i need to fill up first.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you're getting another P0014 with relatively-fresh oil and a recent cleaning, I would remove and examine it again. Maybe there's some contaminants on the screens again (and if it caught anything special, it'd be nice to know!), or maybe she's just worn out - it's still your original CPAS, yes?

Check for oil in the connector, check for a loose fitting between inner and outer halves (that was how mine failed, I had it bolted to the block and you could spin the half on the outside of the block freely), and check the resistance - should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-14 ohms or so I believe. Extreme low resistance (say <4) or high resistance (>18) is a definite replacement scenario. You could always disassemble the valve slide to clean the interior of the part out also. I am not sure if anyone's ever actually tried this, but you can use a hex key on the cap on the end that goes into the engine to remove it, be careful as it's spring-loaded and you don't want to lose that. Then the slide will slide out and you can clean it also and the insides of the screens.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Any idea on the newest part # and a good company that makes replacements how about apdty on amazon?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Gerbil21 said:
Any idea on the newest part # and a good company that makes replacements how about apdty on amazon?
For this part, Dorman has been hit-and-miss. Some report success, I've seen plenty report failure. This engine is just too touchy about electronics, and it's best to go AC Delco with engine-critical items.

GM Part# 12615873. Can be found starting at just over $40 on various GM parts dealers online, mine was had I think for a little over $50 total via gmpartsdirect, however I advise using a UNIQUE password when setting up an account on gmpartsdirect as they DO NOT ENCRYPT PASSWORDS ON THAT SITE. Yes it was worth putting that much emphasis, you can see the pass in cleartext on your settings area, so if you go through them you really should use a completely unique pass. They do not store payment info that I've seen but it's still a risk IMO.

You may also try searching Amazon for the part number. Could likely pay a bit more and get overnight shipping.

Some GM parts dealers:
GMPartsDirect (see warning above)
GMPartsOutlet
GMOutletParts
GMPartsCenter
Nalley GMC (parts.nalleygmc.com)

I can't comment on the service of any of these except GMPD, and it arrived about a week after my order. In a Suave shampoo box (the kind used to distribute it as a 6-pack to stores, to be unpacked and shelved :rotfl:) but it was the proper part, packed well enough to not be damaged, and was a discounted price compared to going to the actual dealer.

This same part may be had at the dealer for about $70, maybe more maybe less depending on their pricing scheme.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
UPDATE: Searching "GM 12615873" on Google, first result for me popped up a listing on Amazon for one for just under $60 with free shipping. Again, I would imagine you could probably pay more and get quicker shipping.

When my CPAS went, it definitely killed my MPG and idled pretty badly.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
UPDATE: Searching "GM 12615873" on Google, first result for me popped up a listing on Amazon for one for just under $60 with free shipping. Again, I would imagine you could probably pay more and get quicker shipping.

I got my CPAS from ebay off of a GM dealer vendor for $40 shipped

Check out this item I found on eBay:

End time: Sep 26, 2014 11:34:53 AM

Item: GM OEM 12615873 Timing Miscellaneous

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=221534336702&alt=web

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-12615873-Timing-Miscellaneous-/221534336702

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

THERE ARE OTHER LISTINGS that say GM in description and are less than $40, but if you dig further, you find the brand listed as Dorman...Be very careful...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Interesting, when mine was oil logged I think it knocked my MPG a little but nothing terrible. I'm curious if this solves his problem or at least helps in a big way.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Well I got the 44k and the tec in the mail today and will try it later but right now I'm trying to help my brother with his jeep

I am under 1/4 tank right now so should I fill to 1/2 or 3/4 (10 or 15 gallons)? It says to mix whole bottle with up to 20 gallons of gas

Also I will be spraying 1oz of uec with 7oz of gas into the tb correct?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If you have the small tank then fill it up. SWB models have the small tank, I assume the 2005 does as well.

Yes, I sprayed the 1:7 GM cleaner into the TB.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Ok well I didn't get to do it today but I will see if I can Thursday or Friday if not then sunday I was supposed to help my brother replace a drag link end on his jeep and we ended up replacing the whole bar. So I wasn't able to clean anything today but soon i will.

also mpg is at 9.8 after all that long highway driving. tomorrow I will reset it and see where it gets to with just city driving and if that water made a diffrence

FrankR12

Aug 16, 2014
So G21.....how did things work out? This thread really got my attention with the troubles you were having with gas mileage and the such. Nobody has posted anything here for nearly a week....let us know. Thx.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I will try to do it today if I can but so far I can say the water worked since I'm at 8.7 from 8.3 and If I would do it again I would spray through the capped off vacuum port aswell and the evap port on the tb since spraying on the tb plate doesn't work very well even at 2500rpm the plate isn't open much and the fan blew most of the water away but idling seems to drop the mpg pretty quick which is what I'm usually doing since I'm probably waiting at lights more then driving

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The .4 increase I feel is too small for a definitive conclusion, a few red lights opposed from constant highway speed could sway that number. Not saying you're not going in the right direction, but we need a much larger jump.

Have you put the 44K in yet?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
No not yet I'm just driving around to waste some gas so I can get it under a 1/4 tank to be able to mix the 44k in with some gas then I'm going to do the tec through the tb.

Did you just drive it after using the Tec or did u drive it hard and get some revs in or did u let it sit and soak then drive it?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
As long as you put the 44K in before you fill up it will thoroughly mix, 1/4 tank is fine.

I didn't let the tec soak since it's basically burnt up during combustion. Not like that Mopar chemical people drop through the spark plug hole and let soak sometimes. ...which is real good stuff also.

I would suggest for a few miles keep it in 2nd gear and run it up from maybe 2-5K a number of times. Gets a good strong spray from the injectors.

Italian style, not driving Miss Daisy... :smile:

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Well I don't know how to put it but my car ate a blond uploadfromtaptalk1410131340084.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410131468736.jpg

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
So yea I put the 44k and filled up then went to siphon some fuel to use for the Tec but I couldn't so I gave up and decided to floor it either way it didn't feel like it wanted to rev, so on the second pass coming back I pushed it again and it just stood at 5k and didn't want to go and then something popped and sounded like it depressurized so I thought it was a coolant line or the rusty trans cooler line but when I pulled over there was nothing out of place so I drove it some more and checked again twice on the second check I went to check the tail pipe and saw some "hair" coming out so after I got home we pulled all of it out "it filled two bags" then I took it for a drive again and it seemed to rev much more and drive better also it sounds better now that it has a bit of rumble pop on revving so I'm going to see if I cut it off tomorrow also with highway driving it went from 9.1 to 10.4

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Well the 44K takes some time to work, usually after a tank of driving. However it seems that your resonator is coming apart inside and a restricted exhaust will surely rob you.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Your truck's way of telling you to cut the can homie!! :deal:

Reactions: gmcman and Mounce

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
ok thought i should give an update so far i haven't went through the tank of 44k yet but im going to have to fill up since i have to go on a trip so this is also a good time to check mpg and maybe do some water cleaning again after the long trip. i got around to taking off the cpas and a spark plug today and using the endoscope i recently got. here are some pics and the next post will have more pics and video links

picture 1 clean spot on cylinder 2
picture 2 inside pcv intake (valve cover)
picture 3 same thing as #2 just different quality
picture 4 dirty air hose port (pcv vacuum)
picture 5 same thing just different quality
picture 6 intake valves
picture 7 another pic of #2 piston

Attachments

• Snap_003.jpg
    Snap_003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Snap_006.jpg
    Snap_006.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Snap_010.jpg
    Snap_010.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Snap_008.jpg
    Snap_008.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
  • dirty air hose port.PNG
    dirty air hose port.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • valves 2.PNG
    valves 2.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • piston again.PNG
    piston again.PNG
    695.1 KB · Views: 20

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
short vid of piston low quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLAR6Ua801k&feature=youtu.be
long vid of piston high quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjvWL9MsJMY&feature=youtu.be
valves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6V0ovSWa0A&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• other side of piston.PNG
    other side of piston.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • crud.PNG
    crud.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 15

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member