Hid kits

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
It gets worse. After talking to the guy, he said that this was his second set of projectors ruined by running 55w HIDs. :duh: Each set of his projectors lasted about 12 months. Definitely not worth going to 55w.

deff not then...which, I'm gonna be running 4 of the Morimoto 35w xb bulbs in 6k...in 4 mini h1 projectors! lol so when you get that bright, there's really no reason for 55w imo

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
ok so i love the 6k color but it is a little blue... i want to order some replacement bulbs for variety. I would like to get ddmtuning.com bulbs for $15 buck a pair, but then their's the $14 shipping:frown: What are some hi quality bulbs i can get at a good price?

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
I usually get them off eBay. 14 and free shipping around there. The only good plug and play bulbs that should work with the ddm tuning ballast would be morimoto bulbs. Not completely sure

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Morimoto from theretrofitsource.com are not bad. They offer 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, and 6000K. $45.00 per set and $5.00 shipping. They also come with a two year warranty which is great. In the pic below, my bulb had a drastic color shift after about 20hrs of use. They had me a new bulb 2 days later. yodaddy4200, the bulbs in the picture are 4300K definitely look 5000K to me.

View attachment 27432

Attachments

• 20130317_212802.jpg
    20130317_212802.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 18

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Morimoto from theretrofitsource.com are not bad. They offer 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, and 6000K. $45.00 per set and $5.00 shipping. They also come with a two year warranty which is great. In the pic below, my bulb had a drastic color shift after about 20hrs of use. They had me a new bulb 2 days later. yodaddy4200, the bulbs in the picture are 4300K definitely look 5000K to me.

View attachment 13672

Wow thats the shit!!:yes:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Well that is an extreme color shift, like 4300K to 12,000K lol! When I was talking about color shift, we are only talking about a couple hundred kelvin due to use over time. This bulb almost tripled in kelvin color which should not happen even after 5000hrs of use.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
yodaddy4200 said:
ok so i love the 6k color but it is a little blue... i want to order some replacement bulbs for variety. I would like to get ddmtuning.com bulbs for $15 buck a pair, but then their's the $14 shipping:frown: What are some hi quality bulbs i can get at a good price?
don't go the cheap bulb route, not worth it an you'll probably end up spending more than you would have by buying quality the first time.
Morimoto/oracle are the direction I would steer you in
kjkim93 said:
I usually get them off eBay. 14 and free shipping around there. The only good plug and play bulbs that should work with the ddm tuning ballast would be morimoto bulbs. Not completely sure
:iagree: kudos

dmanns67 said:
whoa...that's a bad bulb, not a natural color shift :no: and the guys over at TRFS are great about their customer service, even if I could find my lighting parts cheaper somewhere else, they'll always have my business :yes:

dmanns67 said:
Well that is an extreme color shift, like 4300K to 12,000K lol! When I was talking about color shift, we are only talking about a couple hundred kelvin due to use over time. This bulb almost tripled in kelvin color which should not happen even after 5000hrs of use.

:iagree: sorta, lol
the bulbs, over time, will increase in what we perceive as their kelvin rating. basically they'll go from 4300, to 5k, to 6k etc etc etc
usually up a rated "color" before the bulbs output is dimished to where most of us would replace them anyways

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
:iagree: sorta, lol the bulbs, over time, will increase in what we perceive as their kelvin rating. basically they'll go from 4300, to 5k, to 6k etc etc etc usually up a rated "color" before the bulbs output is dimished to where most of us would replace them anyways

This is true. The color shift I was mentioning happens within the first 10 to 15hrs of use, before the bulbs are burned-in. You are correct about shifting by each kelvin rating as the hours add up on the life HID bulbs. Usually 2000hrs is the manufacturers lifespan rating before its time for new ones.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I hope you folks know your experience and guidance is appreciated.

OK - so even with 35W kits it sounds like relay harnesses are suggested. Is this what DDM lists as Dual In/Dual Out HID Harness? From what I read on their site we don't need the Error Eliminators.

Anyone got pics of the ballast mountings? I don't know if I missed them or not, but I didn't see them.

I'm looking at DDM, 880 and 9006, both 35W and 6K, 2 sets of mounting brackets, and if suggested I'll add the HID Harnesses for both. From there, I'll need to add/do a DRL killer. So if I do the DRL killer that will also stop the signal going to them for 'perimeter lighting?'

Once again, thanks for your patience. Too much work, not enough sleep. And of course, no sleep since I'm cruzin' GMTNation.

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
mcsteven said:

OK - so even with 35W kits it sounds like relay harnesses are suggested. Is this what DDM lists as Dual In/Dual Out HID Harness? From what I read on their site we don't need the Error Eliminators.

Anyone got pics of the ballast mountings? I don't know if I missed them or not, but I didn't see them.

I'm looking at DDM, 880 and 9006, both 35W and 6K, 2 sets of mounting brackets, and if suggested I'll add the HID Harnesses for both. From there, I'll need to add/do a DRL killer. So if I do the DRL killer that will also stop the signal going to them for 'perimeter lighting?'

Once again, thanks for your patience. Too much work, not enough sleep. And of course, no sleep since I'm cruzin' GMTNation.

1) dont waste your money on the mounting brackets. Just go get some double sided tape. Got mine at walmart like $6. Just wipe off an area and get it real clean.

2) You'll need a drl killer. Or do the capacitor mod. Personally the cap mod is cheaper and way easy!

3) Don't be a cheapass and fry your shit. Just get the relays. And your correct no error eliminators required.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/cheap-quads-fogs-211/?highlight=cheap+quads

http://gmtnation.com/f33/daytime-running-lamps-killer-quad-hi-beams-idoiots-guide-6789/

Good luck and post pics here for us to see plz!!:thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

mcsteven said:

1) dont waste your money on the mounting brackets. Just go get some double sided tape. Got mine at walmart like $6. Just wipe off an area and get it real clean.

2) You'll need a drl killer. Or do the capacitor mod. Personally the cap mod is cheaper and way easy!

3) Don't be a cheapass and fry your shit. Just get the relays. And your correct no error eliminators required.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/cheap-quads-fogs-211/?highlight=cheap+quads

http://gmtnation.com/f33/daytime-running-lamps-killer-quad-hi-beams-idoiots-guide-6789/

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
mcsteven said:

looking at the site for a few seconds, I didn't see anything special about "dual in dual out" and tbh, there's not really much to a relay harness (in design) that should be changed. Quality parts, and keeping it simple seems to be the way to go with things like this lol, to my knowledge, no bulb out indicators/error eliminators are required.

I don't have access to my truck right now, but I know I just tucked mine away, ziptied to something sturdy, and used a piece of 3m double sided tape for peace of mind. No issues so far.
Yes, DRL killer will do away with the headlights turning on with the perimeter lighting. The CAP mod, however, will give you full power to the HID's all the time. which you do, it up to you. Though, if you're keeping your headlights (relativesly) stock i.e. leaving the reflectors chrome, I'd suggest the brightest running/parking light bulbs you could find as an alternative to headlights in perimeter lighting (IF that's the direction you wanted to go, but didn't want to have little to no lighting at night...make sense?)
I know the feeling bro, turning in paperwork tomorrow for a second job :no:
2 degrees, and when I finish this third, I'm taking a break...A LONG break :raspberry:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
yodaddy4200 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Brackets for a pair are $2.99, so the same price as that double sided tape. Never shop at Wallyworld - it's evil (but I won't go into politics of it here). I like the cap mod, especially to run the quads and fogs at the same time, but I don't want my lights on all the time. Later I'll think about 55W high beams and some LED DRLs or eyebrows and connect them to the ignition. Will do on the pics. I think I'll be ordering the lights this week, but someone hit the bumper and so it'll have to go in soon. Lost a cornering lamp and cracked the bumper. And of course they just left. Hoping the store has some cameras.

NinjuhhNutz said:
looking at the site for a few seconds, I didn't see anything special about "dual in dual out" and tbh, there's not really much to a relay harness (in design) that should be changed. Quality parts, and keeping it simple seems to be the way to go with things like this lol, to my knowledge, no bulb out indicators/error eliminators are required.

I don't have access to my truck right now, but I know I just tucked mine away, ziptied to something sturdy, and used a piece of 3m double sided tape for peace of mind. No issues so far.

Yes, DRL killer will do away with the headlights turning on with the perimeter lighting. The CAP mod, however, will give you full power to the HID's all the time. which you do, it up to you. Though, if you're keeping your headlights (relativesly) stock i.e. leaving the reflectors chrome, I'd suggest the brightest running/parking light bulbs you could find as an alternative to headlights in perimeter lighting (IF that's the direction you wanted to go, but didn't want to have little to no lighting at night...make sense?)

I know the feeling bro, turning in paperwork tomorrow for a second job :no:
2 degrees, and when I finish this third, I'm taking a break...A LONG break :raspberry:

I looked, and it seems that the "dual in/dual out" is the same item as their HID wiring harness, and the pic shows a relay on it (I'll contact them to be assured).

I plan to add some lighting to the interior circuits to be sued as perimeter lights - under the running boards, in the grille and under the rear bumper. (I've been planning to do this for a while, just need to find the best solutions for it. I've been looking at lights from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and they've got good prices and pretty good reviews. I figure a strip or two under each board, a strip under the rear, and a set in the grille.

As always, I will add photos when I'm done (not that I've added any yet).

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I like the direction you're thinking lol
I suggest hopping on over to the led mod thread for some ideas/tips for the led parts :yes: Carlton (BlkShdw) is the go to guy for anything led, helped me out a few times as well...and I deff wanna see where you take these ideas

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
(BlkShdw) is the go to guy for anything led,

Yup - at that one all the time. Got some ideas, and he's answered a question or two for me as well.

Ok, off to the place I go 8 hours a day so I can pay for these mods.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Anyone have pics of their ballast installations? Right now I'm looking at 4 (low beams and fogs) but later might consider 2 more for high beams.

Thanks folks.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
Anyone have pics of their ballast installations? Right now I'm looking at 4 (low beams and fogs) but later might consider 2 more for high beams.

Thanks folks.

I would not recommend HIDs for the high beams. You will have a lag in light output due to the warm up time for HID bulbs when you flip your brights on. In addition, I am sure you use the flash to pass function and that is not good for HIDs to be turned on and off repeatedly. It will reduce their life. If you notice cars with projectors and when they turn on their brights or flash to pass, all they are doing is engaging the solenoid inside of the projector which moves the cutoff shield to allow for high beam output. The HID bulb light output never changes.

As far as your future setup, I am running the same thing. I used zip ties to secure the ballasts and wiring. My fog light ballasts are tucked under the upper part of the front bumper and zip tied in placed to the bumper mounting bracket. That is about the driest spot I could find.

View attachment 27524

For my headlight on the passenger side, I just ziptied it in place to the washer fluid level sensor wire.

View attachment 27525

My driver's side is harder to see because I have both relay harness cubes mounted to my battery box and there is alot of wire running on the driver's side. I just zip tied the ballast to a bracket near the fender to keep it from moving around.

View attachment 27526

Attachments

• 20130417_165939.jpg
    20130417_165939.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130417_170127.jpg
    20130417_170127.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130417_171656.jpg
    20130417_171656.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 20

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
I would not recommend HIDs for the high beams. You will have a lag in light output due to the warm up time for HID bulbs when you flip your brights on. In addition, I am sure you use the flash to pass function and that is not good for HIDs to be turned on and off repeatedly. It will reduce their life. If you notice cars with projectors and when they turn on their brights or flash to pass, all they are doing is engaging the solenoid inside of the projector which moves the cutoff shield to allow for high beam output. The HID bulb light output never changes.

As far as your future setup, I am running the same thing. I used zip ties to secure the ballasts and wiring. My fog light ballasts are tucked under the upper part of the front bumper and zip tied in placed to the bumper mounting bracket. That is about the driest spot I could find.

View attachment 13787

For my headlight on the passenger side, I just ziptied it in place to the washer fluid level sensor wire.

View attachment 13788

My driver's side is harder to see because I have both relay harness cubes mounted to my battery box and there is alot of wire running on the driver's side. I just zip tied the ballast to a bracket near the fender to keep it from moving around.

View attachment 13789

+1 on the mori harness :yes: lol
not ALL cars are like that, btw. Those who have factory bi-xenon's, yes, but some have low beam projectors with a halogen high beam that comes on in addition to the low beam to function as the high (don't ask me why :undecided:) with that said, I also would advise against hid's in the high beams, unless you're doing the 6 beam mod, which I'm not a fan of, but that's just my opinion. If you're NOT doing the 6beam mod, then get you some quality halogen bulbs, and call it a day, as you'll probably never use them if you have quality hid's in your lows/fogs lol

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
not ALL cars are like that, btw. Those who have factory bi-xenon's, yes, but some have low beam projectors with a halogen high beam that comes on in addition to the low beam to function as the high (don't ask me why :undecided:) with that said, I also would advise against hid's in the high beams, unless you're doing the 6 beam mod, which I'm not a fan of, but that's just my opinion. If you're NOT doing the 6beam mod, then get you some quality halogen bulbs, and call it a day, as you'll probably never use them if you have quality hid's in your lows/fogs lol

Suggestions for halogens with close to the same color output (say 6K) that are also pretty bright? Sellers / retailers?

Thanks again.

MCS

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:

That is correct. I should have been more specific stating single headlight bulb with a bi-xenon projector. I have seen other vehicles with lows HID projector and highs halogen and the lows do not turn off when the highs are engaged.

mcsteven said:
Suggestions for halogens with close to the same color output (say 6K) that are also pretty bright? Sellers / retailers?

Thanks again.

MCS

There are sellers who claim to have 6K halogen bulbs, but all of the halogen bulbs that I have seen just have a coating on the glass to give the color effect. This will also reduce the lumen output of the bulb (the higher up the Kelvin scale you go), but you would still have the bluish color you are going for. The only halogens I have ever used were Sylvania Silverstar which were rated at 4300K, I think, and were very bright. I would also stay away from 6K LED bulbs for the highs. Due to their low lumen output, they are more for looks than functionality.

Once I installed my first HID kit in my low beams and fog lights using the stock housings on the TB, I never used/needed my high beams. Even when I would turn the high beams on with the HID lows still on, I could not tell the high beam halogen was even on. The light output with HIDs 10 times better than halogens could ever be. After having a retro fit completed, light output is phenomenal! :twocents:

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Should be putting these on this weekend. Universal P1 HID 880 9005 9006 Bulb Type Projector Fog Lights Foglights Kit | eBay

Time to put that 3k DDM tuning kit to use!! Hey guys ive been working seven days a week for a while:mad: Its all good mo money!! Ill post some picks. Im getting my transmission fully flushed by amco as soon as i can get in there. ($175.00) same as the stealership who probably dont even have the right machine!!

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Here they are. Satuga brand i believe. Only HID projectors i could find without without spending a fortune. I think they will work just fine for fogs.

View attachment 28384

View attachment 28385

View attachment 28386

I was hoping for alot more yellow but oh well. Maybe ill try another brand of bulb. My 5k and 3k 9006 lows just shipped out of cali today so i should have them mon or tues.

I didnt mount them where they "should be" but it would have been such a pain in the ass to put these projectors in the stock fog light spot. I have them ran to a toggle switch under my dash that i plan on putting in the "blank" spot for the stock switch. But ill mount that when i get my dash apart to do my stereo. If i ever quit buying Hid and LEDs!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• P1000843.jpg
    P1000843.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P1000849.jpg
    P1000849.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P1000848.jpg
    P1000848.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 45

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
No but ill post one tonight!!

Oh i forgot to mention... i think im going to do all yellow LEDs on the interior!!:undecided: I already have 2 amber 194 bulbs i was going to use in the front turn signals so ill see how they look.

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
The pic you requested sir lol.

View attachment 28401

Id have to say i think the passenger side cutoff isn't as crisp as the drivers. :undecided: Ill have to mess with it tomorrow night and see if i can get it perfect!!

Attachments

• P1000860.jpg
    P1000860.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Thanks man I appreciate the pic. Very solid cut off line. How well/far do they project light down the road. Love the color contrast with the 6k lows.

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I had them up basically all the way before i ajusted them and lets say the whole block was yellow lol They are preety bright and yes i love the 6k/3k contrast!

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
yodaddy4200 said:
Here they are. Satuga brand i believe. Only HID projectors i could find without without spending a fortune. I think they will work just fine for fogs.

View attachment 14847

View attachment 14848

View attachment 14849

I was hoping for alot more yellow but oh well. Maybe ill try another brand of bulb. My 5k and 3k 9006 lows just shipped out of cali today so i should have them mon or tues.

I didnt mount them where they "should be" but it would have been such a pain in the ass to put these projectors in the stock fog light spot. I have them ran to a toggle switch under my dash that i plan on putting in the "blank" spot for the stock switch. But ill mount that when i get my dash apart to do my stereo. If i ever quit buying Hid and LEDs!!:biggrin:

Where did you pick up the projectors? I may have to look into this.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
My current low beam HIDs need replaced... only had them about 3 years now. I usually turn them off manually when I start up the car... my logic is that until you put it into gear, the low beams (DRLs) don't turn on, but if its dark enough, they come on at 100% anyway. But they have been dim/lost their color for a while now, and the digital ballasts I put in my fog lights work like a charm, so I'll be getting the slim digital ones for the low beams this time around.

I always get them mixed up... 9005 is high beam, 9006 is low beam?

These are inexpensive and rated high, not sure about quality. Can anyone vouch for this brand or give a better recommendation? I'd rather not spend much more than $100 on a new set.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZF4L2O/?tag=gmtnation-20

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
DenaliHD66 said:
My current low beam HIDs need replaced... only had them about 3 years now. I usually turn them off manually when I start up the car... my logic is that until you put it into gear, the low beams (DRLs) don't turn on, but if its dark enough, they come on at 100% anyway. But they have been dim/lost their color for a while now, and the digital ballasts I put in my fog lights work like a charm, so I'll be getting the slim digital ones for the low beams this time around.

These are inexpensive and rated high, not sure about quality. Can anyone vouch for this brand or give a better recommendation? I'd rather not spend much more than $100 on a new set.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZF4L2O/?tag=gmtnation-20

You are correct about the high and low beam bulbs.

I bought the Kensun 9007 HID kit for my wifes F150. I got the kit from amazon as well. She has been using it for about 6 months with no issues, usually an hour a day to commute to and from work using the HIDs.

IMO, I would avoid DDM at all costs. Not only did I wait over 30 days for the kit to ship from china, but when it arrived both ballasts were defective. I guess you could say I am biased.

I cant speak to the quality of VVME, but I see many members have used them.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:

Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 6000k : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have that kensun kit, no issues so far, been running it about 4 months or so.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I learned my lesson the first time to not order japanese/chinese made ones, they stopped working after a week, sent them back, got replacements, the ballast was already overloaded, returned and finally went with another company. The digital slims I have in my fogs are 3000k and they are and have always been brighter than my low beams, even though my current 8000k low beams are good ones, just not digital ones.

Those VVME's are dirt cheap... $33??? Something doesn't seem right..

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
DenaliHD66 said:
I learned my lesson the first time to not order japanese/chinese made ones, they stopped working after a week, sent them back, got replacements, the ballast was already overloaded, returned and finally went with another company. The digital slims I have in my fogs are 3000k and they are and have always been brighter than my low beams, even though my current 8000k low beams are good ones, just not digital ones.

Those VVME's are dirt cheap... $33??? Something doesn't seem right..

I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to HID kits. I guess my only question is what is the difference in warranty between VVME and Kensun. I know my Kensun offered a (2) year warranty from the date of purchase.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
DenaliHD66 said:
I like the sound of that 2 year warranty tune.

theretrofitsource.com offers a complete HID kit and includes a HD relay harness for $150.00. I know that is $50.00 over your budget, but that includes a 5 year warranty as well. I am running their Morimoto D2S HID kit for my lows and 880 HID kit for my fogs. Their customer service is top notch. My 4300K low beam bulb had an extreme color shift and they had me a brand new bulb two days later. All they need to see is a picture of the defective product disabled. IMO, their customer service and warranty definitely justifies the cost of the HID kit.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I know a couple of members who have used VVME with success. Do what u want. .I dont give 2 shits.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
I know a couple of members who have used VVME with success. Do what u want. .I dont give 2 shits.

VVME for the win. Been in with 0 issues and used every single day/night. I do NOT have the drl killer but did do the capacitor mod. I usually try to remember to turn them off during the day but they do fine as DRLs when I forget to. I am very pleased with them. And I too was very skeptical at those prices.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online