Hid kits

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:
I did not do any mods as far as DRL/cap. Just annoys me that when its not completely dark outside I can't tell if I'm running with just one light on, none, or both.

I strongly recommend deciding which functionality is preferable to you, and hooking that up as soon as you can get to it. To disable the DRLs in the meantime, you can either turn your low beams on manually, or I think you can press the dome light override button 4x, and that turns off the DRLs. I've only read about that trick, never tried it myself.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Pressing the dome off button 4x disables DRL's for... how long? I usually just turn the headlight switch on startup to kill the lights if its bright out so they don't run as DRL's.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Never heard of the dome light trick. I would say go with the cap mod so your lights are getting 100% power at all times and see if that makes a difference. Below is a pic of what is needed. You can pick everything up from Radio Shack. There are also a few write ups if you search cap mod on how to do it. $6.00 for parts and about 10 minutes of your time.

View attachment 29244

Attachments

• 20130418_130046.jpg
    20130418_130046.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 15

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:
Pressing the dome off button 4x disables DRL's for... how long?

Until the next time you start the truck.

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
kjkim93 said:
My DDMs Lasted for a good 2 years. Yesterday one side died. Switched back to stock bulbs :sadcry:

Bulbs are like $15??? I bought a few pair as not to keep paying shipping:biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Not a fan of any DDM products. Their customer service, warranty, and sub par products drove me to theretrofitsource.com. Not one issue so far with any of their products. Their products are higher priced, but quality over quantity. Their customer service and the way they handle business should be a benchmark for other companies! :yes:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Not a fan of any DDM products. Their customer service, warranty, and sub par products drove me to theretrofitsource.com. Not one issue so far with any of their products. Their products are higher priced, but quality over quantity. Their customer service and the way they handle business should be a benchmark for other companies! :yes:

Exactly why I am a trs dealer.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:

:iagree: The one time I had an issue, which was a result of a goof on my part, the guys there went out of their way to help me. I will be a customer of theirs for every retro-related purchase, or anything else they sale. They made a loyal customer out of me by the way they treat their customers and they quality products. :yes:

yodaddy4200

Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I bought DDM stuff because it was highly recommended by ALOT of people on THIS site. I havent had any issues. Im not saying they are the best at all just that they have been great for me (until i do my retrofit:biggrin:) All of there stuff has worked flawlessly!!

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
dmanns67 said:

Hence the reason Imma run stock for awhile to save up for the morimotos

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Hence the reason Imma run stock for awhile to save up for the morimotos

I think you'll be pleased you did. Once I got the Morimotos I'm not going back. Plus, I shouldn't have to as they shouldn't really go bad on me anyway :biggrin:

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
Sparky said:
I think you'll be pleased you did. Once I got the Morimotos I'm not going back. Plus, I shouldn't have to as they shouldn't really go bad on me anyway :biggrin:

This makes me so excited!! I ordered mine today, I'm gonna be like a little kid in Christmas morning xD

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
So frustrating. My HID's just won't always fire up. My right lowbeam fires up when I press the unlock button on keyfob, but the left one doesn't. I start the truck, and I have to toggle the light switch a few times for the other one to turn on. Then, my passenger side fog light won't fire up, so I have to repeatedly tap the fog light button for it to turn on. All the HID's are relatively new, low beams being brand new, but what else do I need to do? All connections are sealed by electrical tape. Are there resistors or something that ensure they fire up? I know there are resistors that put the lows at 100% power instead of the DRL power, but what else do I need to do here?

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
So frustrating. My HID's just won't always fire up. My right lowbeam fires up when I press the unlock button on keyfob, but the left one doesn't. I start the truck, and I have to toggle the light switch a few times for the other one to turn on. Then, my passenger side fog light won't fire up, so I have to repeatedly tap the fog light button for it to turn on. All the HID's are relatively new, low beams being brand new, but what else do I need to do? All connections are sealed by electrical tape. Are there resistors or something that ensure they fire up? I know there are resistors that put the lows at 100% power instead of the DRL power, but what else do I need to do here?

Is this during daytime or night or both? Low beams should have the DRL relay harness for full power or you can do the cap mod in the BCM which makes them run full power in DRL mode. Or you need to turn them off during daytime running. The ballasts (igniters) will fail eventually because the voltage is border line with DRLs and they run a pulsed power as well. There is a difference in types of HIDs, there is AC or DC versions. AC being better and you should not mix bulbs/ballasts with the opposite current pieces-i.e. AC ballast with DC bulb or vice versa.
This is a cap mod I'm working on for installing in the BCM that will make them run full power during daylight.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
So frustrating. My HID's just won't always fire up.

Or instead of modifying the BCM in the rear seat, (I have the third row so removing my second row seat where the BCM was just too much work) just spend $10 for a plug and play DRL killer from VLED.

They're soooo popular they are taking pre-orders. And you don't have to worry about if it works or not because some of us here have it including me and it works. My HIDs work 100%. It just plugs in in-between you factory headlight harness and you relay harness. Your lights run day and night.

During the day: when in park they won't be on but shift into D or R, it will ignite. When you lock or unlock, they won't flash.
During the night: always on. Lock and unlock will make them flash but for me, never flicker.

Here's the link: 9006 PLUG N' PLAY IN-LINE HID/DRL MODULE | 1 EACH B/O

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I carry these as well for $10 shipped. These are a good alternative although running the wires and placing them across the front of the engine compartment can be a little tedious to keep the loom from melting on the radiator or wires getting caught in fans etc. You need to make sure its tied up securely. Its not just a slap it in procedure. :thumbsup:

seanpooh said:
Or instead of modifying the BCM in the rear seat, (I have the third row so removing my second row seat where the BCM was just too much work) just spend $10 for a plug and play DRL killer from VLED.

They're soooo popular they are taking pre-orders. And you don't have to worry about if it works or not because some of us here have it including me and it works. My HIDs work 100%. It just plugs in in-between you factory headlight harness and you relay harness. Your lights run day and night.

During the day: when in park they won't be on but shift into D or R, it will ignite. When you lock or unlock, they won't flash.
During the night: always on. Lock and unlock will make them flash but for me, never flicker.

Here's the link: 9006 PLUG N' PLAY IN-LINE HID/DRL MODULE | 1 EACH B/O

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
This happens all the time. I always turn the low beams off manually during the day instead of running them at 70% power. But when I start it up at night or unlock it, they still need toggling in order to fire up. The fog lights are a different story since they are either on/off. But like I said the right one doesn't always come on and I need to tap the fog light button repeatedly. The bulbs have great color and brightness when on, so its not like the bulb or ballast seems to be suffering.

So aside from the "DRL" thing, when the bulbs should be on at 100%, they are not turning on. That is the problem.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry if I missed it but are you using a harness? These lights have such crappy thin wires that it can cause ignite issues.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
Sorry if I missed it but are you using a harness? These lights have such crappy thin wires that it can cause ignite issues.

No I do not. Does the cap mod alter the way my lights actually fire up tho? Not in regards to 100%/70% power.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
No I do not. Does the cap mod alter the way my lights actually fire up tho? Not in regards to 100%/70% power.

No, it only negates the 70% PWM.

I'd bet a relay harness would solve your firing issues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasha

Members Online