Good stories about getting pulled over

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
Got a mortgage on a house that's now underwater, wife starting a business with no current income, life insurance to keep up to cover her and the mortgage if you get hit by a meteorite, a couple of million dollar late projects to manage at work, young kids to raise and save for college, retirement funds that got decimated in the downturn due to poor asset allocation, looming health issues for you and the wife, and health insurance with a $5000 deductible you have to start meeting every January all over again? Except for the young kids, that's me. Trade you for your crap ton.... :wink: :biggrin:

lol well for my age I have a ton of responsibilities and as time goes on they will grow

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I am sure we ALL have big responsibilities. Its just part of becoming an adult and in my case a man.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
the roadie said:
Got a mortgage on a house that's now underwater, wife starting a business with no current income, life insurance to keep up to cover her and the mortgage if you get hit by a meteorite, a couple of million dollar late projects to manage at work, young kids to raise and save for college, retirement funds that got decimated in the downturn due to poor asset allocation, looming health issues for you and the wife, and health insurance with a $5000 deductible you have to start meeting every January all over again? Except for the young kids, that's me. Trade you for your crap ton.... :wink: :biggrin:

WOW!..suddenly I feel like a giant weight has been lifted off of my shoulders:undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Don't get me wrong. I love my life and enjoy the challenges. Meeting one's responsibilities is exhilarating.

tripplesix

Jan 26, 2012
Well, i don't come on this site anymore, but i remembered the name of the site and decided to peruse through some of the interesting threads before I leave for good (since I JUST got rid of my pitiful POS envoy denali). These stories are entertaining.

I have been pulled over soooo many times it is ridiculous. I am a speed demon and it is what it is. But the crazy number of speed cameras all over md/dc/va has made speeding difficult.

One time I was going home from work on 495 and as usual I was aggressively rushing. I tend to tailgate people who don't move out of my way (sorry to the people who hate that). I moved all the way to the far left lane and was gunning it. I've been pulled over so many times that I get feelings; like when you think it may be a cop but not sure but you know it is. Nonetheless I'm gunning and this car pulls in front of me and is not moving at my speed. I KNOW it is a cop but i convince myself it's not and I tailgate his butt off. He promptly moves over and i mash on the gas. He promptly moves right back over behind me and on with the blue and red light everywhere except on top of his car. I said, "%$#!!@#$!." I was going so fast that I could not stop right away and the shoulder on the left had some gravel and dirt (it didn't belong there) so I didn't want to skid. I stopped and he came up to me and asked me where was i going and why was I going so fast. He was in a very calm voice and all. I lied (of course) and said I work for CPS (i did; i even flashed my work I.D.) and I gotta get to an important home visit. I don't think he cared about that. But he simply told me to not drive so fast and to have a good day. This cop was soooo nice the whole time... I couldn't even believe it. Ahhhhh good ol' hopeless PG County, where I rarely got a ticket when pulled over. :thumbsup:

Another time, I was on 295 and gunning it! I really believed this cop car fell from the sky because I truly didn't see any signs of him anywhere and I was looking (i always do). He got all up on my bumber with his red and blue blinky lights. He wasted no time. He was clearly pissed. I pulled over. And he yelled his butt off at me. And I mean, YELLED!!! It was so crazy that I wanted to laugh so bad.... 1st because I really believed he fell from the sky; 2nd because he was yelling like he was my father (i was probably in my mid to late 20s). He gave me a whole yelling lecture about driving to fast and being careful and hurting or killing myself. He was truly concerned (like a parent) and bothered and all I could think was "don't laugh... don't laugh." I mean he went on and on. I apologized. And before turning to go back to his car he yelled, "be careful!!" And he let me go...... no ticket. I was like :rotfl: and :wootwoot:. Once again, good ol' PG County.

Too many more stories to post.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
tripplesix said:
Well, i don't come on this site anymore, but i remembered the name of the site and decided to peruse through some of the interesting threads before I leave for good (since I JUST got rid of my pitiful POS envoy denali)..

HEY!!...:hissyfit:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Some of you may know that I have the front hide-a-plate on my TBSS. It lays down and retracts into the lower valance at the push of the remote button...
I was going to pick up my son at his H.S. and there are 5 lanes-2 each direction with a middle turn lane. I'm at a stop light with 2 other cars in the lane to my right. The cop is just sitting in the turn lane ahead facing the same direction we were all going. I had my plate down and in, the light turned green and we proceed at 20 mph. Once I pass by the cop he pulls in behind me and seconds later turns on his lights. I motion out the window that I am turning into the H.S. parking lot and as I do I pop the plate out and up with the remote, pull over, turn off the ignition and half my hands visible. He walks up smiling and asks me "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I said no and he said "cause you don't have a front plate." I looked at him with a puzzled look and said "yyeea I do?" He walks to the front and stunned...looks at it and had the funiest look on his face as he walked back to me. He apologized and said "I was looking back in my rear view mirror and I must have gotten you mixed up with one of the other cars, I'm sorry." He walked back to his car and drove back out as I went down to the curb and picked up my son with a big ass grin on my face.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
If they ever mandated front plates in indianai would definately need one of the hide a plates.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
This is what confuses the popo. (click on pic)

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That's sweet but,now that you've devulged your plate number(if it's yours) you may get a visit from the "License Plate Gestapo"...:eek:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
northcreek said:
That's sweet but,now that you've devulged your plate number(if it's yours) you may get a visit from the "License Plate Gestapo"...:eek:

Well its not like they didn't see the rear one before. This is Texas, maybe they would go out of their way in NY, but not here. After all, the law stipulates that I need to have my license plate attached to the furthest most front part of the vehicle. And it is.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
DFWWIZ said:
After all, the law stipulates that I need to have my license plate attached to the furthest most front part of the vehicle. And it is.

Not to get all legal here but, aside from the "letter of the law" there is also the "intent of the law"and this is the part that will hold your feet to the fire.

They tried to kill the front plate requirement here in NY,it would have provided millions of extra cash to our near bankrupt state ....but,NO...the PBA said that it was unsafe for Policemen to have to get out of their cars and walk around the back to see the plate....Of course it's perfectly save to get out for donuts though.

I hid the front plate on my wifes Malibu because as you know they really negate a nice looking front end.I had it mounted low on flimsy strap steel so I could easily bend it under facing the road like yours,once she got stopped and the cop said"you must have hit a parking curb,have your husband bend it back" .We live in a small village so I knew that we might see this cop again so I went back to stock mounting.
I like your James Bond solution,I might have to revisit the front plate....Mike.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
This was over the summer, but our police department just got a new Dodge Charger. I found myself getting pulled over, and when the cop approached my window, he told me he was pulling me over because my tail lights were to dark. I told him that was absolutely incorrect because the tail lights are red and orange, so how can he even notice that I had tail light tint on? I literally put 2 VERY light coats of VHT on them. He told me if he pulled me over again for it he will give me a ticket. I just shrugged my shoulders and said whatever.

I went home and put another 5-6 coats of VHT on it...I followed the state rules, you can still see the brake light and directionals from 20 feet away but are MUCH darker than before when he pulled me over. But if he pulls me over again I will simply hand him a printed copy of the Iowa State Laws on tinted tail lights.

My rears when he pulled me over

View attachment 24039

My rears after he pulled me over

View attachment 24040

I'm going to go a shade or 2 darker I think....I can keep going darker as long as the lights can be seen 20 ft away.

Attachments

• P1030453.jpg
    P1030453.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_5835.jpg
    100_5835.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not sure where you got the 20 foot rule, but a quick Googling found me this:

321.404A LIGHT-RESTRICTING DEVICES PROHIBITED.
1. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or
motorized bicycle on the highways of this state if it is equipped
with a device that restricts the light output of a headlamp required
under section 321.385 or 321.386, a rear lamp required under section
321.387, a signal lamp or signal device required under section
321.404, or a directional signal device as described in section
2. A person who violates this section shall be subject to a
scheduled fine under section 805.8A, subsection 3, paragraph "c".

and

321.387 REAR LAMPS.
Every motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the
end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with a lighted rear lamp
or lamps, exhibiting a red light plainly visible from a distance of
five hundred feet to the rear. All lamps and lighting equipment
originally manufactured on a motor vehicle shall be kept in working
condition or shall be replaced with equivalent equipment.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
20 vs 500 is a HUGE difference

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
HARDTRAILZ said:
20 vs 500 is a HUGE difference
As is the 'no light restricting device" which can easily be interpreted by the authorities as a "tinted lens cover" even if you win the obvious argument that the paint itself is not a "device".

And why even push the issue? Is appearance so important that you would take even 1% additional risk that somebody, perhaps with marginal vision, is going to rear end you? Even if they contributed to the crash by driving with poor vision or following distance? Do the numbers - engineers are always calculating cost/benefit and risk/reward ratios.

It's a wonder any of us ever end up married. See the 100 mile / $100 rule? If you have to drive 100 miles or pay $100 to get it, it's cheaper than getting married. Must be we get sentimental instead of being 100% analytical.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I had to ask Mat because he was the one who searched the "rule". But I have no idea where I got 20 feet from, because Mat even told me 500 feet lol. This post was made pre-coffee so that's my excuse!!

And yes...you can clearly see the red light 500 feet away both day and night. Mat double checked it lol.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Also the device or paint not being a device could be challenged since it is not only the letter of the law, but the intent of the law. By restricting the light with paint vs a device you are violating the intent of the law to have full lighting.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Also the device or paint not being a device could be challenged since it is not only the letter of the law, but the intent of the law. By restricting the light with paint vs a device you are violating the intent of the law to have full lighting.

Yes, and so are thousands of other people :raspberry:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
There you are again upsetting everyone Voymom :hissyfit::hissyfit: Time for a group HUG!!!:wootwoot::wootwoot:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
There you are again upsetting everyone Voymom :hissyfit::hissyfit: Time for a group HUG!!!:wootwoot::wootwoot:

lol don't even get me started!!! I live to piss people off apparently :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
This was over the summer, but our police department just got a new Dodge Charger. I found myself getting pulled over, and when the cop approached my window, he told me he was pulling me over because my tail lights were to dark. I told him that was absolutely incorrect because the tail lights are red and orange, so how can he even notice that I had tail light tint on? I literally put 2 VERY light coats of VHT on them. He told me if he pulled me over again for it he will give me a ticket. I just shrugged my shoulders and said whatever.

I went home and put another 5-6 coats of VHT on it...I followed the state rules, you can still see the brake light and directionals from 20 feet away but are MUCH darker than before when he pulled me over. But if he pulls me over again I will simply hand him a printed copy of the Iowa State Laws on tinted tail lights.

My rears when he pulled me over

View attachment 10693

My rears after he pulled me over

View attachment 10694

I'm going to go a shade or 2 darker I think....I can keep going darker as long as the lights can be seen 20 ft away.

Voymom said:
Yes, and so are thousands of other people :raspberry:

Does not make it right. Also makes it seem immature to be on the internet bragging about making it darker and wanting to hand the copy of law at the officer who is actually in the right. You ought to go through the laws you think you are following when modding your truck, because Roadie's quick google search busted that right up.

Plus the before pic has the taillights looking far better than the after.:raspberry:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Does not make it right. Also makes it seem immature to be on the internet bragging about making it darker and wanting to hand the copy of law at the officer who is actually in the right. You ought to go through the laws you think you are following when modding your truck, because Roadie's quick google search busted that right up.

Plus the before pic has the taillights looking far better than the after.:raspberry:

No, it doesn't make it right at all, as far as bragging about it...as far as I can see, other people have posted their pull over stories as well, so you can't just "pick on" me, most of the people on this thread had the "intent" or the "knowing" that they were braking the law at some point, so you can't just single one person out as immature for posting a pull over story.

As far as following the laws when modding, who is doing that? Most of the mods done on here are illegal in some form.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :raspberry:

Feb 24, 2012
'86 Buick Century convertible, FWD 3800 (mom's car). Year ~1991-2?, just after receiving drivers license...

old school 0-85 wide speedo:

0 55 85
\ /
----------------
\
^^^
our speedo needle - yes it will actually come back out the bottom! Best I could draw it in text, but we got the speedo needle to cover the odometer!

4th of July (well 5th actually), was cruising down the interstate at 2AM top down, speedo literally coming out the bottom as described above, 4 lanes wide and not a car in sight. Finally come up on a car in the left lane and noticed crown vic taillights, so slowed down to match it, he was going 85... whoops! Cruised next to him for a mile or so, he eventually slows down, pulls in behind us, then flips on all the hidden lights. Damn!!!

He pulled us over, screamed at me for a bit, I still remember 20 years later, something about how hard it would be to call my mom and tell her how we just scraped your son off the road, blah blah blah... then he let me go!!! We went the speed limit the rest of the way home. Back then I just thought how lucky I was not to get a ticket. Today I realize how dangerous it really was, somebody I know just witnessed the car in front of them hit a deer in exactly the same spot last year (their car was literally covered in deer guts and blood, gross).

edit - all my spaces are taken away so my drawing looks stupid. Just imagine some spaces in between the numbers and slashes to spread them out!

edit two - found a pic. The speedo comes out by the digital tach not the odometer. Forgot about the digital tach! :wink: So our cluster was 0-85 MPH instead of this pic, and we got the needle down to about 5500 RPM! Ahh the memories

cluster1.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
No, it doesn't make it right at all, as far as bragging about it...as far as I can see, other people have posted their pull over stories as well, so you can't just "pick on" me, most of the people on this thread had the "intent" or the "knowing" that they were braking the law at some point, so you can't just single one person out as immature for posting a pull over story.

As far as following the laws when modding, who is doing that? Most of the mods done on here are illegal in some form.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :raspberry:

The "pick on" is not from the pull over, but the immature reaction to violate the law further with additional intent to block the light output and thinking you would hand him a copy of the law you did not have or understand that you were breaking.

You got lucky he did not ticket you the first time and your reaction is to go further and plan to hand over a law thinking it will be your ticket out of trouble, but would actually give him the code to write you up with.

Feel free to break the law, but thank the nice officer for not ticketing you instead of planning to get into with him again on a law you did not properly research.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
The "pick on" is not from the pull over, but the immature reaction to violate the law further with additional intent to block the light output and thinking you would hand him a copy of the law you did not have or understand that you were breaking.

You got lucky he did not ticket you the first time and your reaction is to go further and plan to hand over a law thinking it will be your ticket out of trouble, but would actually give him the code to write you up with.

Feel free to break the law, but thank the nice officer for not ticketing you instead of planning to get into with him again on a law you did not properly research.

I had actually made the tails darker because I wanted too and had the intentions of re-spraying them before my pull over, not to purposefully try to piss off a cop. If I were breaking the law that badly, he would have pulled me over 2 days ago while he was riding my ass. Besides had he written me a ticket the first time, I would have gotten out of it by simply showing a picture of my tails to the judge, you couldn't even tell they were tinted to begin with, as they were still clearly red and orange on the outside. He had no ground to stand on the first time around. Now...yeah he could write me a ticket and it would be pointless for me to fight it....although it never hurts to try.

As far as it being my ticket out of trouble...if I was that worried about it, I wouldn't have tinted my tail lights to begin with. We can sit here and go back and forth all day long Kyle, but the fact of the matter is....I simply don't care what people think about me, if I did care I would be on the wrong forum :thumbsup:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Voymom said:
I had to ask Mat because he was the one who searched the "rule". But I have no idea where I got 20 feet from, because Mat even told me 500 feet lol. This post was made pre-coffee so that's my excuse!!

And yes...you can clearly see the red light 500 feet away both day and night. Mat double checked it lol.

Vmom,I'm with Roadie on this.Hauling six kids around is reason enough to want the equivalent of aircraft landing lights on the back of the Voy.In this case,the price of coolness might be too steep...just sayin'...Mike.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
northcreek said:
Vmom,I'm with Roadie on this.Hauling six kids around is reason enough to want the equivalent of aircraft landing lights on the back of the Voy.In this case,the price of coolness might be too steep...just sayin'...Mike.

Well...I can get rear ended just as easily with regular stock tails as I could with tinted tails, all it takes is one person on their cell phone not paying attention, at which point, it wouldn't matter what I did to my truck.

Besides, I didn't come on this specific thread asking anyone's opinions on my tail lights.

Thanks though!

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
WarGawd said:
Now any other cops who see this thread and learn that story are just gonna shoot on sight, because you "may be holding a gun" in the other half of your hands.....hehehe sorry couldn't resist :raspberry::rotfl:

Brain fart....my story was getting ahead of my thought process. No auto-spell check in the mind. :no: :crazy:
Thx for the compliment tho :thumbsup:

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
DFWWIZ said:
Brain fart....my story was getting ahead of my thought process. No auto-spell check in the mind. :no: :crazy:

Lol, no worries. I don't consider myself a grammar cop per se...more of a crossing guard. I misspell, everyone misspells (lmfao, I'm not sure if it's ONE 's' or two!?!?! I'll take my chances). Anyway, my point was when it's funny by accident, it's usually funnier than anything you could ever make up - can't stop myself from jumping on those :biggrin:

DFWWIZ said:
Thx for the compliment tho :thumbsup:

Well, you definitely have me thinking about it. Unfortunately like the ghost lights, I suspect this might be unaffordable...unless you have a pleasant surprise for me?

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Since I became old enough to lose the idiot kid mindset, I don't speed or drive aggressively. That sort of thing is just flat out immature and reckless, especially if you have a spouse or little ones depending on you. Is it worth it to orphan your kids or some other driver's innocent kids because you want to tailgate, speed, and weave? I may leave the cruise control 1 mph over if that's where it lands but that's about it. I like my life and love my family way too much to drive like an a-hole and risk losing it all to get to my destination two minutes earlier. Annnnd off my soapbox.

When I was a dumb immature kid in high school, I did get a few tickets and warnings. One that will always stick with me: I raced at the local quarter mile track in my white '77 firebird. Driving home at dusk on the two lane highway, I went to pass a slow truck. Halfway through the pass, I realized there was an oncoming vehicle who didn't have his headlights on and thus I didn't see him until he was quite close. I managed to finish my pass in time, but he swerved onto the shoulder anyway. Shortly later, on a 4 lane road, I ended up lining up at a light next to a friend. We both took off at the green, then he suddenly slowed. I saw the cop too late and got pulled over. He came up to my window and got my info - as he was talking, he got a call over his shoulder radio to look for a white firebird who was driving recklessly. He paused, looked at the car, looked back and me, and smiled this wry smile and knowingly asked if that was me. I admitted it, explained about the guy not having headlights, and the speeding he saw was left over from racing all day. He laughed, said he used to race there, and to go home because other cops would still have a white firebird on their radar. Did not drive for about a week after I. Got home to be on the safe side and counted my blessings!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I think most of us have good speeding stories from our younger days and most of have become more responsible drivers over the years. I've learned to always be looking out for others and be prepared for anything. Heres a video you may have seen on our local hiway 401, my wife drives it daily. One of the builders here in town is Mattamy Homes, named after the builders son Matt and daughter Amy. Matt had an accident before this happened and even though it wasn't his fault he was charged. He was so frustrated that he couldn't prove his case so he went out and bought a camera for his dash so if anything like that happens again he would have video proof. Getting that camera is how he got this video, and to his point if that tractor trailer or part of it had hit his van he would have had the video proof for police and insurance. Good thing he is a defensive driver, if he was speeding he might not have been able to avoid this tractor trailer...

[video=youtube;olCoeNE501w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCoeNE501w[/video]

guiltyimnot

Mar 25, 2012
My most memorable/irritating happened about a year and a half ago. It was summer and I had picked up my GF's (now wife) kids to take them swimming at my apartment's pool for the afternoon. I also happened to have a present for my brother jammed in the TB with all 3 kids. The present pretty much made using my rear view impossible. I was in the right lane and traffic was going about 5-10 under the limit. I got over in the left lane to pass them and kind of gunned it because I had a lot of cars to pass and my exit was coming up. I also wanted to give myself plenty of room in front before I moved back over since I could not see too well behind me. I made my exit and was sitting at the stop light and noticed a slicktop crown vic with the telltale spot light on the pillar. Kids asked me if I saw the cop turn around all of a sudden when I was getting off the highway. I didn't obviously. Turned the corner and he lit me up. Explained what happened to the state trooper and tried to get some professional courtesy since I am a corrections officer at the county jail (local pd or sheriff wouldn't have ticketed me). Ended up ticketing me for like 80 in a 65. I couldn't help but wonder if the present in the back sitting with the kids made him think I was a crappy parent or something. It was a gigantic 2 piece cardboard floor advertisement for Miller Light. Oh well.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Make sure I understand this...

You have three kids in your truck who aren't yours. Knowing that your exit is coming up, you decide to get in the left lane and have to "punch it" to pass a long line of cars before making your exit. After making, what most reasonable people would consider to be, a poor decision, you're hoping to get professional courtesy and not cited for going 15 over the limit.

I doubt that the Miller Lite ad had anything to do with it. :twocents:

guiltyimnot

Mar 25, 2012
I wasn't gunning it like I didn't care. I was just paying more attention to trying to see when it was safe to move back over. I've never driven 80 on that highway in my life so I really don't think I was driving 80 then. I get mad when people pass me doing 70. I just wasn't paying attention while trying to avoid sideswiping someone. And it wasn't that I expected professional courtesy. I never even got to get that far. I had hope he would at least listen to an explanation and give a guy who otherwise has a clean driving record a bit of a break. When he said I was going 80 I about crapped myself. I have never and will never consciously do anything to put the kids lives in danger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online