383.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210930_175824754.jpg
    PXL_20210930_175824754.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 13

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Pin 19 has power.

Well that is unfortunate. Why? Because that might bring the PCM under suspicion. If the PCM has the power signals it requires, and a good ground but is not talking it may be done for.

While there at pin 19 check pins 20 and 21 also. 20 needs power at all times, even with no key. 21 should have power in Accessory, RUN, and START.

There is also one more power to the PCM, that is at connector 3 pin 17. That should have power at RUN and START.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks T.J. Would it be safe to assume pins 20, and 21 are the two directly above number 19 ?
Also, where is pin 17 on connector 3? I will check those next. Thx...Cam

I'm actually OK with it being a PCM....at least that might explain my 10 year long problem.

If it indeed turns out to be a bad PCM, does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? I've done business with PCM 4 Less North Carolina in the past for my transmission cooler. They seem to have a good reputation. But I'm open to suggestions.

What would be involved if I were to find one in a parts yard? Would it have to be reflashed and updated at the dealer?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Yes, pins 20 and 21 would be adjacent to #19.

The connectors are numbered sequentially so #2 is in the center amd 3 is the opposite end from. Connector 1.

The numbering sequence is the same on all 3 excepting that connector 2 has an additional connector, #65 in the center and that is the primary ground for the PCM.

For spreadsheet users here is a link to a pretty good listing and diagrams of the various Vortec 4200 ECMs and pinouts.

Seems like you had trouble with this scanner when your first got it as well, no? I made my statement that your PCM is not communicating based on your description of what is happening at the cluster. Before jumping to any further conclusions about the health of the PCM I would think a more thorough assesment needs to be made to rule out things like a communications issue.

• Love
Reactions: mrrsm

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have swapped in a junkyard PCM and after a security relearn (a half hour procedure) it ran OK. I am in a state the doesn't require emissions testing so a mismatched VIN would not be an issue for me. It didn't matter anyway as I swapped my old one back since
It was only done as a learning experience.

A junkyard PCM would need to have the same rear axle ratio and should be from the same year truck as well.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Won't turn over. All dash lights turn on but gauges are all not reading or reading incorrectly. My fuel gauge is showing empty and light is on but I just put 15 gallons in it. When I turn the key...all the dash lights go out. I get no shift indicator when I turn on the key. Just the led's light up.

I need clarification on some things here.

Some folks refer to "turning over" as firing and some mean cranking. Does it crank or does it not crank?

"All dash lights go out" when you turn the key FROM where TO where. I would guess from RUN to START and it is normal behaviour for many things to turn off while the key is in the START position because two ignition key circuits disconnect from power in that position.

The LEDs that light up: this would be the PRND321 display?? But the position indicator bar is missing??

There are clues in everything that happens at the cluster.

Reactions: budwich

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi T.J.
Excellent questions.
1.) It does not crank. I get nothing, Not even a "click" like you would expect from a bad selenoid contact.

2.) All dash lights go out when I turn key from run to start.
Correct...L.E.D.s light up but the position indicator bar is missing.

Thanks for not giving up on me..I'm not giving up on my Envoy until it's coughed up engine parts on the road! :smile:

And even then...I might just look for another engine! :smile:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hi T.J.
Excellent questions.
1.) It does not crank. I get nothing, Not even a "click" like you would expect from a bad selenoid contact.

2.) All dash lights go out when I turn key from run to start.
Correct...L.E.D.s light up but the position indicator bar is missing.

Thanks for not giving up on me..I'm not giving up on my Envoy until it's coughed up engine parts on the road! :smile:

And even then...I might just look for another engine! :smile:

[1] If indeed the PCM is inactive you would not get anything from turning the key to START. The PCM has to recieve a signal from the ignition switch terminal D, yellow wire, through the crank fuse #17 amd then it negotiates with the BCM with regards to the vehicle security system. If the PCM is not active, as evidenced by what you describe on the cluster plus your code reader being unable to connect, then you would get nothing from turning the key to START. These vehicles are rolling computer systems, the ignition key does not actually send power to the starter solenoid or anything like that. Turning the key to START only registers a request to start with the BCM and PCM. It is these modules that actually do the deeds.

[2] Indicator bar missing. The transmission range switch is connected to the PCM. It is messages from the PCM on the serial data bus that cause the cluster to display the indicator bar. So that is another indication that either the PCM is not operating or the PCM is not communicating.

What does the "Service Engine Soon" light do? Is it on with key at RUN but not cranking? Does it stay on when you turn the key to START? Does it not come on at all?

Reactions: budwich

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@TJBaker57 's Link to the Vortec 4200 PCM Pin-Out Data in Post #84 is "Off The Hook"...Superb" ... So I Downloaded it as a PDF and dropped it in this reflection. Suggest the Mods might want to keep this one in the appropriate FAQ.

Thomas... Awesome Stuff... Dude!

Attachments

• Vortec 4200 PCM Pinouts - P10.pdf
    982.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Mooseman

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
when you turn your key to ON only and leave it there, what displays are showing on your dash? You might post a picture of that to help.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Link to the Vortec 4200 PCM Pin-Out Data in Post #84 is "Off The Hook"...Superb"

I cannot say who is responsible for the spreadsheet. It might be Calvin Nelson aka "Nivlac57" of Youtube fame and the Vortec 4200 Wiki...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Suggest the Mods might want to keep this one in the appropriate FAQ.
Added link to the 4.2L FAQ. Good stuff.
I cannot say who is responsible for the spreadsheet. It might be Calvin Nelson aka "Nivlac57" of Youtube fame and the Vortec 4200 Wiki...

Also added the link to that Wiki.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
PCM woke up this morning. Engine will start but sounds like it's running on one cylinder. Fuse 28 getting low amps. Dash all back to normal for acc/run/start.

The battery is only a few weeks old but it seems like it won't hold a charge....I had it on the auto shut off charger all night. That may have been the reason the PCM woke up. It barely turned the engine over but it did start to run, just poorly as mentioned. No codes stored.

Might just be a bad battery. I'm going to return and install a new one. Then check my alternator output. I'm Always open to input. Thx...

Attachments

• PXL_20211001_160749453.jpg
    PXL_20211001_160749453.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A bad battery can cause all sorts of weird gremlins however blowing fuses is not one of them, or is it? Been a long time since college electronics but if the voltage is low, it may try to pull more amps? Another possibility that the PCM is bad is it's not commanding the alternator properly thus killing your battery.

At this point, I'd probably throw a used PCM at it. Shouldn't be that expensive from a PnP yard.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
A bad battery can cause all sorts of weird gremlins however blowing fuses is not one of them, or is it? Been a long time since college electronics but if the voltage is low, it may try to pull more amps? Another possibility that the PCM is bad is it's not commanding the alternator properly thus killing your battery.

At this point, I'd probably throw a used PCM at it. Shouldn't be that expensive from a PnP yard.
If I install a PCM from a salvage yard, doesn't it have to be reprogrammed with VIN and C.A.S.E. relearn? I'm also thinking it might have a parasitic draw or direct short problem, yet fuse 28 is now NOT blowing. What is best way to test for parasitic draw?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
If I install a PCM from a salvage yard, doesn't it have to be reprogrammed with VIN and C.A.S.E. relearn? I'm also thinking it might have a parasitic draw or direct short problem, yet fuse 28 is now NOT blowing. What is best way to test for parasitic draw?

As long as you get a PCM from the same year truck AND has the same gear ratio as yours you can use it. It will require a 30 minute relearn for security and the battery would have to be on a good charger because the key will need to on for a little more than a half hour for the relearn. True, a CASE relearn would be best and the VIN wouldn't match BUT it would do fine for test purposes.

I gather you are in California?? Then you would need the VIN changed but you could wait on that while testing out the truck.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Use a clamp type current meter so you do not have to disconnect the negative battery terminal (for fear of messing with the HVAC actuators, etc.). With the key off place the clamp around one of the battery leads (making sure to encircle all wires coming off that lead) and measure the current. For completeness sake, do this on both terminals and compare results, they should be the same. Typical draw is going to is in the range of 20 and 50 milliamps. If you find a draw that is more than this then you can try to isolate the culprit by systematically removing fuses (again, leaving the HVAC stuff for last, if necessary).

Reactions: Redbeard

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
When doing your current draw tests be aware that anything that awakens the vehicle network will increase the draw until such time that the network goes back to sleep mode. Hitting a keyfob button, opening a door, etc. Removing and replacing certain fuses will also awaken the network for a time.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
So here was my day. I got a new battery from Costco. I kept power to the system with jumper cables while I swapped out the battery. I got it to fire up but still only running on one or two cylinders. So....I swapped out some old coils one by one and got it to running on all 6 cylinders.

Something damaged 4 previously good coils. It started up, idled fine, was going to take it for a spin around the block....got 2 feet out of my drive way....and POP....Number 28 fuse blew again.

I pushed back into my driveway with the help of a neighbor (slight uphill). Put in a new fuse. When I turned the key to run position the throttle body mechanism started making a high speed clicking/buzzing noise. I unplugged it and it stopped. I plugged it back in and it no longer makes the clicking/buzzing noise.

Now, none of my power locks work, my key fob doesn't work. I have very weak interior lights. Headlamps and tail lamps are good. Everything prior to today was fine.

There are some major electrical gremlins that seem to point more and more to the PCM. So...I ordered one from PCM of N.C. today. They will program my V.I.N. into it. Mark said that most of the earlier models don't need the C.A.S.E. relearn

I paid a little extra so it will be here by this coming up Wednesday. Are there any tips I should know about while installing it? I would like to keep power to my A.C. actuators to avoid any failures.

Last edited:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Serious Gremlins indeed! Before you connect up the new PCM, I would systematically check all power & ground pins to make sure there are no surprises.

Edit: While you are at it I would also inspect the battery cables/connectors and vehicle & engine block grounds.

Only the Paranoid Survive!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Normally you would totally disconnect and power down the truck before disconnecting the PCM, you seem to want to keep power on to help prevent killing HVAC actuators, which I think is just delaying the inevitable. You should pull all the PCM fuses. You'll need to do the security relearn.

PCM security relearn

If after running it a while it throws a crank/cam correlation code, it will need a CASE relearn. Most high end scanners should be able to do this so you don't have to go to a dealer.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Whichever method you choose to replace the PCM, here is a quick reference for the P10 PCM power input/supply circuits. Note that of the 4 circuits, 3 are already disconnected when the key is in the OFF position leaving only a single powered source.

Screenshot_20211002-101538_Sheets.jpg

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Had the key on for a few minutes and was plugging and unplugging the coil packs. While I was doing this the Throttle Body began to chatter again.

Also, happened to touch the top of the C.O.P. on cylinder number 5 and branded my finger with the cooling fins. For some reason I don't think they are supposed to get that hot. All the other ones were completely cool.

Attachments

• PXL_20211002_192436683.jpg
    PXL_20211002_192436683.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20211002_201245626.jpg
    PXL_20211002_201245626.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 3
  • Wow
Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The last coil I lost died on the interstate. It was hot like you said your #5 was.

Addendum: are you monitoring your battery voltage during these happenings? A drop in voltage or an unstable voltage could cause a reset which would make the throttle actuator cycle.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I haven't been monitoring battery but I have been keeping my Amp meter hooked into fuse bus 28. When I turn the key to run it goes to 13 amps for 1 second then immediately drops to zero without popping the amp meter inline 15amp fuse.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Here is a great video posted by @MRRSM from Eric O. at South Main Auto on analysis of a coil failure (A Closer Look At A Coil On Plug Mis-fire) that may have some relevance to the problem at hand.

To make a long story short, the development of a high impedance in the secondary coil current path (likely between the Hi side of the Secondary coil and 12V+) can lead to coil damage due to internal current oscillations & primary/secondary mutual inductance (check out the South Main video at 21:35 for an overview of the coil circuitry and the mechanism for coil damage due to heating).

Combining this failure model with @TJBaker's analysis above and the fact that multiple coils are dying suggests there may be something adverse happening between the common coil Hot connection and the fuse.

The challenge is going to be that a normal resistance measurement is a DC measurement whereas impedance is dependent on frequency (or rate of current or voltage change).

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This may seem to be a bit of a reach... but this information is quite technically sound and should be factored into your Solution Calculus:

Excessive Carbon Build Up inside of the Upper Cylinders can often increase compression enough to pass the proper "Quench" level and force atmospheric conditions inside of the Cylinder just BTDC that will make driving the Spark Gap Jump VERY DIFFICULT.

If your present Spark Plug Specs and/or Gaps are not within limits, this along with the presence of Excessive Carbon Build Up may be forcing the involved COPs to work so much harder to bridge the Spark Gap during the Secondary Coil Firing Events... that it risks shortening the life expectancy of those involved Coil On Plugs.

IGNITIONPATTERNANALYSIS.jpg

The presence of excess Carbon in the upper cylinder chambers will absorb Atomized Fuel like a Sponge and can cause Incidental Lean Air to Fuel Ratios. Such LEAN A/F Conditions will increase the work that COPs have to perform to create enough of a Spark to Bridge the Gap.

So at this point, performing an ACDelco Top Engine Cleaning procedure with all of the Spark Plugs removed for a three hour soak in the Foaming Flavor of this Special Solvent on such a high mileage engine would not hurt a thing.

Allow me to suggest that you watch THIS Man's Lecture on this issue of Secondary Ignition Wave Form Analysis and you'll find out what is going on here to get a better idea about what might be "Killing Your COPs":

Last edited:
Reactions: azswiss

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Definitely not a reach. Any info is always appreciated. I guess a compression check will be next on my to do list.

My PCM arrives Wed. If I am able to get it to turn over I will check compression before running it for very long.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Make sure the small springs are inside the coil boot.

Also, what was the status of your battery cables? Were the small tabs still intact, that contact the lead side terminal?

Have you tried to probe pin#19 while wiggling the battery cables, and wiring harness...noting any change or fluctuations in voltage?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Battery connections are perfect. Cleaned thoroughly and nubs all intact and making good contact. Pretty sure I have a bad PCM. I'll know by this Wednesday when the part arrives!😄🥳

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
in your "travels", have you inspected the lower layer of the fuse box in the engine compartment to ensure the traces are proper / good?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
in your "travels", have you inspected the lower layer of the fuse box in the engine compartment to ensure the traces are proper / good?
I have not yet, but I will before installing the new PCM. Thanks for the reminder.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
New PCM installed. Did security reset. Still no start. No overhead lights, no power locks, no sound system. Would a bad body control module cause this type of trouble?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Roger that...

...and using either THIS Kit (...or one like it...) can Help to sort things out:

ALLSUNCONTINUITYTESTKIT.jpg

Brian from 'Briansmobile1' YT Channel shows a similar Kit in use and what it can do for you during Broken Automotive Wiring Searches:

Last edited:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
New PCM installed. Did security reset. Still no start. No overhead lights, no power locks, no sound system. Would a bad body control module cause this type of trouble?
You need to post pictures of your dash... with key in ON only, and then with key in START so that people have an idea of what's happening. Further, just in addition to checking voltages at your PCM, there are similar checks for those at the BCM. Are you seeing any "anti-theft" indicator?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
You are all awesome and I have appreciated every bit of information.

I have decided to throw in the towel and take it to a GM dealer. They have been there for a very long time and have some excellent techs. They should have a diagnostic done on it by Monday.

I will keep everyone posted. Thank you again for all of the help.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
I feel like whenever this happens, the dealer comes back with something completely off the wall. Like, "We replaced the trunk carpet." WTF? "Yeah, static builds up back there, then discharges to the rear fuse box. Ya gotta keep ur carpet grounded."

Good luck @c good, it must be tough and a relief at the same time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest