Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Blckshdw said:
What time are you starting? I've got evening plans, and some tentative day plans, but if things fall through, I might try and swing down. Jimmy has been spending all his free time working on the new house, so everything will be ready before the baby arrives.

Edit: I can probably drag Carlos down with me, and maybe get Angel if he isn't tied up.
I'll prob. start around 10a. The more the merrier, there may not be enough room to under the hood though lol

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
This is an awesome undertaking! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup: I will be following this for sure !!!!!! Something I wanted to do but didnt have the funds years ago.
Thank you. It's def not cheap but the way I look at it is it's cheaper for me in the long run than a new vehicle.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Here's how things looked when Carlos and I got there around noon.

20150425_130616.jpg

Much of the time was spent trying to get the exhaust manifold bolts out, without PB blaster or a breaker bar :hopeless: :raspberry:

20150425_132855.jpg

Removing the hood made that easier.

20150425_135454.jpg

The cat bolts were too hard to break loose, so a sawsall came to the rescue and cut the cat out..

20150425_145821.jpg

20150425_144557.jpg

Next was disconnect the heater hoses, we couldn't figure out how to disconnect the one running around the backside of the engine, so we tried taking of the intake manifold. Got all the bolts loose except for one, and gave up.

20150425_150645.jpg

And that concludes my paparazzi duties for the day. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When you get the engine out it might be a good idea to grind out all rust you can find and use some rust stop, primer, and paint (even just a flat black paint). Oh, and also maybe just go ahead and replace the power steering lines and transmission cooler lines as that would be a ton easier to do without the engine in the way, and your power steering lines in particular look pretty crusty. Maybe paint the new ones to prevent them from even starting to rust.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah memories! I remember doing my swap. I didn't remove the exhaust manifold and didn't have any issues with that. In fact, the replacement used engine came with its manifold still attached but had to replace it due to a crack (actually both were). What I should have done is remove the intake to clear the cowl.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sorry for the hiatus everyone I have tons of excuses but who doesn't lol.

Received my radiator and efans a couple of weeks ago. Took lots of pics.

Removed my transmission from the engine yesterday but I couldn't get it out from the truck yesterday due to rain and lighting, however I did that today.

The engine is ready to come out as well nothing is holding it in there accept for the engine mounts.

Now on to what everyone wants to see Pics.

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.2.jpg

IMG_5961.2.jpg

IMG_5962.2.jpg

IMG_5964.2.jpg

IMG_5965.2.jpg

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
That's some high tech cooling right there. Don't forget to use either distilled water with your coolant or just get the 50/50 mix ... you don't want any excess mineral build-up from using tap water in that beauty (but you probably already knew that). You just need to have an iron will for a project of this complexity, love it.

Reactions: Decembersend

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How are you going to control the efans?

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Dan_G said:
That's some high tech cooling right there. Don't forget to use either distilled water with your coolant or just get the 50/50 mix ... you don't want any excess mineral build-up from using tap water in that beauty (but you probably already knew that). You just need to have an iron will for a project of this complexity, love it.
I'm definitely just going to use the 50/50 mix. I already have two gallons so 5 more or so I'll be good lol. This is my first project of this sort and so far it hasn't broken me yet.

Mooseman said:
How are you going to control the efans?
I can't remember the set up exactly but it'll be based off the pcm4less three relay setup.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Subscribed!

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Anything else happen yet?

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Could take a pic of under the valve cover by pcv valve I would like to know how it look? But I don't want to take mine off if I could avoid it.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
felicie said:
Could take a pic of under the valve cover by pcv valve I would like to know how it look? But I don't want to take mine off if I could avoid it.
I'll take a pic of mines tonight

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Thanks Gerbil21, it will be one step closer to solving my pcv oil problem.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
So it's just that long splash under the port?

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
felicie said:
So it's just that long splash under the port?
I uploaded more pics they show the whole splash shield, check the link again. And yes as far as I can tell it's just that long shield covering the port

Reactions: Mooseman

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Thanks a lot I appreciate your help, that answered my questions about the cover. Guess I will have to check the vent.

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
felicie said:
Thanks a lot I appreciate your help, that answered my questions about the cover. Guess I will have to check the vent.
Yup anytime

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well all it does is Rain after work here lately so I haven't had anytime after work and I've been busy on the weekends.

Yesterday I sanded down the engine bay, and started painting but I had to close up shop because you guessed it RAIN :hissyfit: .

There wasn't a cloud nearby when I started. I hope it adhered because it had no time to set before the rain :frown: :redface:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Might have to get you some of those weights for your canopy, and leave it up to keep things dry :twocents:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Might have to get you some of those weights for your canopy, and leave it up to keep things dry :twocents:
I thought about doing that however I remember you telling me yours got up and ran down the beach lol. I know weights would prob prevent that but I just don't want to risk it.

Tiggerr said:
If your using something like POR-15,...The moisture will actually help it cure.

Good shit! Not cheap though.
I'm using Rustoleum spray paint.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decembersend said:
I thought about doing that however I remember you telling me yours got up and ran down the beach lol. I know weights would prob prevent that but I just don't want to risk it.
It wasn't staked down, and the beach is wide open and flat, plus the wind blows much harder off the water. You've got houses and trees all around you. :yes:

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates?

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
So updates as of yet. At a stand still for a little bit need to come up with some funds for new headers and mounts

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Little update:

I got a hold of not quick on TBSS and he said hes working on mounts right now and that they'll be ready by the end of the month. This will give me enough time to order my headers and save for the mounts.

Reactions: Mounce

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Decembersend said:
Little update:

I got a hold of not quick on TBSS and he said hes working on mounts right now and that they'll be ready by the end of the month. This will give me enough time to order my headers and save for the mounts.
You can't get the SS mounts from GM? Or does he have something better?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Nice job so far, now all the fun.

You may also consider replacing the steering rack while you have everything out, hoses also.

Is the rack different on the SS? Ratio? What about the pump? Does all this need to work together? Naturally the I6 steering pump isn't going back.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Decembersend said:
not quick on TBSS makes a polyurethane mount vs the standard stock ones.
Oic... Was thinking of the frame mounts themselves. Wasn't sure of the setup. This is a future possible plan of mine as well. Or maybe LS crate motor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.